Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
Mark Blythe on Brexit (and Trump and global capitalism) again. Watch the whole series of interviews for a good laugh.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGK3XkuGeLw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

kustomkarkommando posted:

Too be fair though its not like Irish people are particularly good at the old voting lark.

coughcoughFFresurgancecough

No we're also complete loving idiots, just too small and inconsequential to ruin everything

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

serious gaylord posted:

You don't know what cheerleading is.

I had an e-mail back from my labour clp this morning telling me they don't have the authority to accept my resignation and will let me know who I have to contact. Either way the DD is cancelled, but I guess this might be how labour could inflate member numbers for a long time.

You have to go to a part of the Labour website.to quit. But it's really loving hard to find. Best idea is to call up on 0345 092 2299 and ask them to point you in the right direction.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

hakimashou posted:

Aside from forcing all the MPs to vote for his precious brexit and tanking their standing in the polls, what has Great Helmsman Corbyn managed to achieve in his time taking up space at the top of the Labour Party?

He hasn't been a fuckwit making GBS threads up the UKMT.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Dead Goon posted:

Why are you so important that you need to resign from the Labour Party?

Cancel your DD, cut your membership card up and post pictures of it on social media like all the other whiny little babies have done in the past.

Because that's the process every member is told to go through. Otherwise they keep you on their rolls for 6+ months and continue to send you marketing poo poo.

But thanks for the personal attack.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Jedit posted:

He hasn't been a fuckwit making GBS threads up the UKMT.

I heard that Corbyn posts on here under the name 'Pissflaps'.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

serious gaylord posted:

Because that's the process every member is told to go through. Otherwise they keep you on their rolls for 6+ months and continue to send you marketing poo poo.

But thanks for the personal attack.

You are welcome.

Have you tried this, from The NewStatesman?

quote:

2. You can cancel your direct debit, and contact the Labour party headquarters telling them you are leaving at The Labour Party, Labour Central, Kings Manor, Newcastle upon Tyne, NE1 6PA. This is more boring, but more predictable, and it means you can join again when you are filled with regret for abandoning your comrades.

Dead Goon fucked around with this message at 12:43 on Feb 9, 2017

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Dead Goon posted:

You are welcome.

Have you tried this, from The NewStatesman?

Either The New Statesman stole that from The Metro, The Metro stole it from The New Statesman, or the same journo sold the exact same article to them both which is fun.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Didn't the Metro go through a phase of flat out reprinting Yahoo News articles with minor alterations, without spell (or fact) checking?

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

Guavanaut posted:

Didn't the Metro go through a phase of flat out reprinting Yahoo News articles with minor alterations, without spell (or fact) checking?

I don't know about that, but I do know Wikipedia has stopped all attributions and citations linked from The Daily Mail due to the sheer number of lies that rag prints

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

baka kaba posted:

This isn't what happened though. Here's what Labour did:
  • took an official stance that they wouldn't block a direct democratic vote
  • officially voted not to block the electorate's decision
  • tabled amendments seeking guarantees and influence on the process from the Tories
  • officially voted for those amendments - the Tories blocked them
  • officially voted not to block the electorate's decision

That's the key difference - this wasn't a normal vote where they get to decide on our behalf what they think should happen, the electorate had already decided. That's fundamentally different from the Tories saying "we want to do this" and Labour saying "we think that's bad". It would have been a vote to overturn a democratic decision, poo poo as that decision is, and that's a whole other can of worms. Same for threatening to block it if the amendments weren't passed, if we're being optimists and believing there was ever a hope of enough Tories breaking ranks and voting against the final bill in an act of political suicide

But what they did is to vote for significant changes to the process, which the Tories voted against. So yeah, it is a Tory brexit, because the Tories have voted to keep full control and responsibility for how the negotiations go, and they're gonna go very badly. They openly rejected the kind of soft-brexit safeguards the majority of people want to see at minimum. Labour now represent people's ideal of how things should go, the Tories get to own the terrible reality

Whether you think there's even a remote chance of that working out, that's basically Labour's strategy for the next two years. I know everyone's unhappy that it's going ahead, and disappointed that Labour didn't stand against it on principle, but do you really honestly think it could have been stopped? The best chance of stopping it (and all the disaster and suffering it's going to bring) is to push public opinion to the 'hell no this is a bad idea' side, and either hold a second referendum on the deal or just outright cancel the whole thing with public backing. Labour needs to become a trusted voice on this, and that's what they're trying to do
This right here is some revisionist bullshit.

Labour openly said they were making no attempt at all to stop anything if the amendments failed. So what's the point of even asking? And if you say it's a "democratic decision", I mean who the gently caress voted for this current leadership (nobody directly) and who the gently caress voted for Brexit meaning Let's Go It Alone if Theresa May's team doesn't like it? No effort was ever made to sway public opinion against Brexit after the vote despite it being very close, and there being known buyer's remorse in the aftermath for a lot of people.

Carte blanche for the Tories was not a democratically made choice. It's a disgrace.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Guavanaut posted:

The Metro is free. I'll cut them more slack than I will a paid publication.

And they're all corrupt. A few years ago the Economist printed an article on the world's largest iron ore shippers that omitted the actual largest shipper because the company in question refused to pay to be mentioned.

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

it's a tory brexit that was endorsed by the majority of the house

so a parliamentary brexit, if you will

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

I don't know about that, but I do know Wikipedia has stopped all attributions and citations linked from The Daily Mail due to the sheer number of lies that rag prints

As amusing as it is, I think it's more to do with stuff like this than anything else:

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Corbyns not powerful enough to overrule our own vote to gently caress ourselves really hard.

Though when brexit is poo poo it's just going to have the papers turn on Labour more than the Tories because they didn't stop it, then all start fluffing the lib dems as the true guardians of the people.

So business as usual except the NHS will be run by Trump Corp and well all be dead.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
*Corbyn sits back, nodding at the result he wanted all along*

"A shame he was not powerful enough to save the almost half of people in this referendum who opposed Brexit and the many who still do despite a one-way narrative on Getting The Job Done that Labour has done nothing whatsoever to combat. At least he had that relaunch."

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Dead Goon posted:

Why are you so important that you need to resign from the Labour Party?

Cancel your DD, cut your membership card up and post pictures of it on social media like all the other whiny little babies have done in the past.

If you don't consider yourself important enough to stop paying money to a party you no longer support you might have self image issues.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

nopantsjack posted:

Though when brexit is poo poo it's just going to have the papers turn on Labour more than the Tories because they didn't stop it, then all start fluffing the lib dems as the true guardians of the people.
Nobody is going to start fluffing the Lib Dems no matter how bad it gets.

Except the Guardian. Always.

Regarde Aduck posted:

If you don't consider yourself important enough to stop paying money to a party you no longer support you might have self image issues.
Surely canceling your DD takes care of the paying money part.

Paxman
Feb 7, 2010

HJB posted:

As amusing as it is, I think it's more to do with stuff like this than anything else:

That looks like an interesting article but it shouldn't come as a surprise that people in different parts of the world use different sources and see the world in a different way. Wikipedia ams to be neutral and I'm sure that a lot of editors do their best to live up to that, but human beings aren't really capable of divorcing themselves entirely from the society they are part of and its assumptions and values.

For example, "Srichand Parmanand Hinduja (born 28 November 1935) is an Indian-born British business magnate, investor, and philanthropist". Aside from his name and his birthday, the fact that he is Indian-born is literarlly the first thing we're told about him (even though Wikipedia says he is British, not Indian). https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S._P._Hinduja

By contrast, "Sir Richard Charles Nicholas Branson (born 18 July 1950) is an English business magnate, investor and philanthropist". The place of his birth is mentioned later on, but as he was born in London it's not considered to be interesting enough to be put in the intro. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Branson

Note that they are both seem to be British, it's just that being born in India is in some way remarkable while being born in London is "normal" for a British person and far less interesting. There are lots of similar examples on Wikipedia.

Also, Branson is described as English but Hinduja is "British", even though he also seems to be from England (he lives in London). I'm sure it's correct to say he's British, but it would be equally correct to say this about Branson. Somewhere in these articles there are assumptions about what it means to be British and what it means to be English and who counts as what.

I'm not knocking Wikipedia, which I think is good, I'm saying personal biais is just impossible for human beings to avoid.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Regarde Aduck posted:

Stop paying money then. "Resigning" smacks of self-importance.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Guavanaut posted:

Nobody is going to start fluffing the Lib Dems no matter how bad it gets.
How's about the electorate, who have done so in a number of byelections and council seats?

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

Dead Goon posted:

Stop paying money then. "Resigning" smacks of self-importance.
It's not self-important, it's a courtesy to the party - you're saving it time and money by letting them know they should stop sending you campaign literature and not bother chasing you up about your "overdue" membership fees.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

jBrereton posted:

How's about the electorate, who have done so in a number of byelections and council seats?

the electorate are loving stupid

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
It also sends them a handy "gently caress you" message!

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

JFairfax posted:

ah ok.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

I'm an EU citizen who only speaks English, my options are somewhat limited.
No they aren't. Vast swathes of Europe speak English well enough that you'll be fine for a few months until you can start picking up Danish/German/Swedish/Dutch or whatever

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
"Now the real fight begins" is as ridiculous as "Here's how Bernie can still win".

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

Paxman posted:

Also, Branson is described as English but Hinduja is "British", even though he also seems to be from England (he lives in London).

My dad's been living in London for 2/3 of his life now and I don't think he would be happy if people described him as "English" - and there are plenty of similar Scottish people.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

JFairfax posted:

but labour believe in democracy

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

surely brexit has proved that?!

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Fangz posted:

but labour believe in democracy

there is no law against being stupid is there.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH

TinTower posted:

"Now the real fight begins" is as ridiculous as "Here's how Bernie can still win".

If somehow Labour had teamed up with the LDs, SNP and some Tory rebels to block A50 it would've been loving carnage. So gently caress off you loving hypocrite Liberals who somehow think accepting the outcome of a referendum is wrong when you wrote a blank cheque to the Tories when you propped up their minority government and gave us all austerity and crippling tuition fees for the next generation. Seriously, gently caress you all.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Zephro posted:

No they aren't. Vast swathes of Europe speak English well enough that you'll be fine for a few months until you can start picking up Danish/German/Swedish/Dutch or whatever

And what do you do for a living in the meantime?

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

JFairfax posted:

there is no law against being stupid is there.

yes, that is a serious problem.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Lord of the Llamas posted:

If somehow Labour had teamed up with the LDs, SNP and some Tory rebels to block A50 it would've been loving carnage. So gently caress off you loving hypocrite Liberals who somehow think accepting the outcome of a referendum is wrong when you wrote a blank cheque to the Tories when you propped up their minority government and gave us all austerity and crippling tuition fees for the next generation. Seriously, gently caress you all.

Nice deflection. 7/10.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
The mental hurdles people are jumping over to excuse Corbyn literally voting for a hard Tory Brexit reminds me of that "irregular verbs" joke in Yes Minister: I respect the government's mandate, you prop up an unpopular government, he is a yellow Tory.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

As a lazy hypothetical, is there actually a point at which Corbyn would be perceived to have crossed some kind of red line for people?

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

TinTower posted:

loving of course you thought Hilary was a good candidate. Liberals, what a lark.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Lord of the Llamas posted:

If somehow Labour had teamed up with the LDs, SNP and some Tory rebels to block A50 it would've been loving carnage.
The people who "won" the referendum have spent so long losing they wouldn't have been surprised.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

Paxman posted:

For example, "Srichand Parmanand Hinduja (born 28 November 1935) is an Indian-born British business magnate, investor, and philanthropist". Aside from his name and his birthday, the fact that he is Indian-born is literarlly the first thing we're told about him (even though Wikipedia says he is British, not Indian). https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S._P._Hinduja

By contrast, "Sir Richard Charles Nicholas Branson (born 18 July 1950) is an English business magnate, investor and philanthropist". The place of his birth is mentioned later on, but as he was born in London it's not considered to be interesting enough to be put in the intro. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Branson

Note that they are both seem to be British, it's just that being born in India is in some way remarkable while being born in London is "normal" for a British person and far less interesting. There are lots of similar examples on Wikipedia.

Eh, that [country]-born formulation crops in all sorts of places - for example, here are the opening sentences of the bios of the winners of the 2016 Physics Nobel:

quote:

John Michael Kosterlitz (born June 22, 1943) is a British born Anglo-American physicist.

Frederick Duncan Michael Haldane FRS[4] (born 14 September 1951),[1] known as F. Duncan Haldane, is a British born physicist who is Eugene Higgins Professor of Physics at the physics department of Princeton University, and a Distinguished Visiting Research Chair[5] at Perimeter Institute for Theoretical Physics.
I don't think you should read too much into things like that.

• Locked thread