Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
So here's a fun anecdote: started a game on a spiral galaxy, got plonked down in a middle arm. To my spinward side are cool ice elves, next arm in on the core side are awesome tentacle bros. Really great relationship, mutually beneficial all around. But later on I find a pack of dickhole bird lords one arm in from my exact position. They don't respect democratic ideals and appear to hate are freedoms.

We've been talking poo poo for years, so I decided to gently caress with them by dropping colonies right next door, that way they're completely boxed in by squidmen on one side and a contingent of elves, slugs, and my own god fearing googly eyed mushroom guys. Works great, got some great planets, and they're so loving pissed.

Pissed enough to slow boat a warp drive over and put an outpost on a key hyperlane route that totally blocks me off from any other decent planets. gently caress. I figure I'll have to declare war and bust that loving thing, but here is the interesting part: their fleet capacity is poo poo, but their tech is superior. Kinda nervous but excited to start this thing.

Also I found them when I was doing the cult event chain -- 2/3 of the cultists spawned in their territory, they instantly closed borders and blew up the big ship themselves. Fuckers.

Ps one of the planets I colonized had the ancient terriforming machines, I reactivated them, and the planet completed the process to become... the same type? Huh.

Anyway I got a good feeling that the giant alpine Venus fly traps I uplifted will be a major deciding factor that proves I should own the bird worlds. It was interesting that I uplifted then from stream power and with maybe two months to go they started flocking towards my enclaves because they were so psyched for space. It put me to 118/100 uplifted and I had to wait another month for it to finalize anyway. They're good people and like the majority of my empire hate clothes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Bloodly posted:

I'm not saying you should be able to play without a fleet

After my last game (charismatic secretary birds, they smell like sugar and spice, gonna submit to goon pack ha), where I somehow ended up dead poo poo last in fleet tech, but galaxy dominant in army tech, I would be interested in playing thru a run where that could be a very valid strategy instead of a dead end. (Well, it made all my planets impregnable fortresses with no real effort, but it wasn't something that could be used offensively).

Basically, if you get one decent army tech you're army-good, but you're going to have to get several times more comparable fleet techs to be fleet-good. I'd welcome some kind of way to make it possible that any mix and match combo of that is the same level of empire-good.

I guess the extreme level on one side would be Godzilla stepping thru a stargate, and the other side would be surgically vitrifying all opposition without leaving the comfort of the ship

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Gonna even triple post, you can't stop me.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

GunnerJ posted:

Another good thread title contender imo.

Yeah it's time for this thread title to embrace this.

Man I'm really fiending for some Stellaris right now, but want to wait for 1.5. Anyone else in the same boat?

Nelson Mandingo fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Feb 9, 2017

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Nelson Mandingo posted:

Yeah it's time for this thread title to embrace this.

Man I'm really fiending for some Stellaris right now, but want to wait for 1.5. Anyone else in the same boat?

yes

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

So I just found out you can get Sentient AI before Droids. That makes no sense but I'm all for it. Bring on the AI Rebellion!

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Maybe the sentient AIs are bound to massive mainframes and haven't been miniaturised into a humanoid package yet?

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

3 DONG HORSE posted:

So I just found out you can get Sentient AI before Droids. That makes no sense but I'm all for it. Bring on the AI Rebellion!

you still need synthetics for the robot rebellion to kick off. sentient ai is just a stepping stone to them.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Nelson Mandingo posted:

:hf: I'm hoping they'll announce a release date tomorrow so I'll know how long I have to hold out, but I guess I shouldn't expect to be so lucky.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Anticheese posted:

Maybe the sentient AIs are bound to massive mainframes and haven't been miniaturised into a humanoid package yet?

Touche, sir.

Roobanguy posted:

you still need synthetics for the robot rebellion to kick off. sentient ai is just a stepping stone to them.

Dang, I was really hoping for an insanely early crisis to hit.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry
Sentient AI isn't even a dangerous technology. The dangerous tech is Self-aware AI.

Which sort of implies the sentient AI aren't actually self aware. Though I think someone pointed out before Paradox is using the concept of sentience and self awareness slightly incorrectly.

Edit: oh no it was the other way around, self awareness comes before sentience and sentient AI is a dangerous tech.

Kitchner fucked around with this message at 10:02 on Feb 9, 2017

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Sentient doesn't mean what most people use the word to mean. Sentient just means it responds to the senses. Sapient is the ability to think and reason. A Sentient AI would be able to respond to inputs in a non-deterministic way, but wouldn't truly be self-aware and able to reason through abstract principles.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Zurai posted:

Sentient doesn't mean what most people use the word to mean. Sentient just means it responds to the senses. Sapient is the ability to think and reason. A Sentient AI would be able to respond to inputs in a non-deterministic way, but wouldn't truly be self-aware and able to reason through abstract principles.

That's why someone pointed out Paradox is wrong here, Sentient AI should come first and be followed by Self-Aware AI. Having the better thing come first makes no goddamn sense.

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Helim needed to be invisible.
Fun development fact!

Sapience is the more correct term for self-awareness and higher cognition, but "sentience" is an extremely common mis-conflation of the concept in sci-fi works. We had a brief discussion about it within the team a few months before release, and decided to err on the side of tropes.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

LordMune posted:

Fun development fact!

Sapience is the more correct term for self-awareness and higher cognition, but "sentience" is an extremely common mis-conflation of the concept in sci-fi works. We had a brief discussion about it within the team a few months before release, and decided to err on the side of tropes.

I've always subscribed to the Orion Burger definition.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

LordMune posted:

Fun development fact!

Is it possible to go into a textfile somewhere and change the tech-descriptions to be the correct ones?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

https://twitter.com/Martin_Anward/status/829660044971143168

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Helim needed to be invisible.

Libluini posted:

Is it possible to go into a textfile somewhere and change the tech-descriptions to be the correct ones?
It would basically be the easiest mod in the world to create. You can edit the localization files yourself using NotePad++ or Sublime.

Fake Edit: Was going to link to the dev diary but I know when I've been beaten.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

LordMune posted:

I'm really, really excited for Banks, okay. Can't believe I bought this game in time for the most intense teasing I've ever seen in my life!

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I'm a little disappointed that the psychic and cybernetic story tree's seem to locked by materialism/spiritualism, but I can see why as it pertains to the victory condition. I hope it's still possible to see my pops develop psychic traits or cybernetically alter their bodies in defiance of government policy.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

LordMune posted:

It would basically be the easiest mod in the world to create. You can edit the localization files yourself using NotePad++ or Sublime.

Thanks! I'll be doing this now.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Demiurge4 posted:

I'm a little disappointed that the psychic and cybernetic story tree's seem to locked by materialism/spiritualism, but I can see why as it pertains to the victory condition. I hope it's still possible to see my pops develop psychic traits or cybernetically alter their bodies in defiance of government policy.

If I understood the dev diary correctly, that's not how it works. If you do not get the DLC, then you can indeed only go the psionics route if your government is spiritual (but because of the new faction system, you can change your government ethics to spiritual if you really want to, and can also change it back after you got the techs). If you have the DLC, you don't need to be spiritual, psionics are unlocked through the ascension perks system. And the story about the shroud is part of the paid content, so you will only get to access it if you buy Utopia. So no need to be spiritual.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
Making contact with extra-dimensional beings worked wonders for the people in Half-Life, DOOM, WH40K, Event Horizon and countless other sci-fi settings. I really can't see what will go wrong here.

Also Wiz, for all the event pop ups that have '???' as a title can you please just change it to the :confused: smiley? Or just :psypop:

Cliffhanger
Jun 22, 2010

Torrannor posted:

If I understood the dev diary correctly, that's not how it works. If you do not get the DLC, then you can indeed only go the psionics route if your government is spiritual (but because of the new faction system, you can change your government ethics to spiritual if you really want to, and can also change it back after you got the techs). If you have the DLC, you don't need to be spiritual, psionics are unlocked through the ascension perks system. And the story about the shroud is part of the paid content, so you will only get to access it if you buy Utopia. So no need to be spiritual.

According to the dev diary the Spiritualist requirement applies whether or not you own Utopia, but you can shift to the Spiritualist ethics temporarily and get the psy path and then shift out of the ethos.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
I look intensely forward to letting my pops feel the good pain.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Cliffhanger posted:

According to the dev diary the Spiritualist requirement applies whether or not you own Utopia, but you can shift to the Spiritualist ethics temporarily and get the psy path and then shift out of the ethos.

You are right, Wiz confirms it in the dev diary thread.

I don't mind, I like playing spiritualist empires. But it seems like cybernetics will then be tied to the materialists. Will all the other ethics only get the gene-path? That sounds strange.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

LordMune posted:

Fun development fact!

A strictly literal reading implies that first you create an a conscious, thinking, feeling AI, and then leave it in a dark box cut off all from all input for years if not decades until you finally get around to giving it eyeballs.

No wonder they're pissed.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
I read this book because of this thread, and I think it's super relevant to this topic: http://www.rifters.com/real/Blindsight.htm

Serf
May 5, 2011

The psionics dev diary was fantastic. Really looking forward to this expansion and trying out the different paths. I'm also really interested in seeing how mods can expand on the system for even more replayability.

GunnerJ posted:

I read this book because of this thread, and I think it's super relevant to this topic: http://www.rifters.com/real/Blindsight.htm

This book probably has one of the few depictions of aliens that seem actually alien. I also recommend his short story "The Things" which is a retelling of the movie The Thing from the perspective of the alien.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Stellaris: Something very bad is going to happen here.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Serf posted:

This book probably has one of the few depictions of aliens that seem actually alien.

The "reveal" was seriously one of the most dreadful and dispiriting things I ever read. I recommend it to everyone.

Also I'll check out that story, thanks!

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.

Serf posted:

I also recommend his short story "The Things" which is a retelling of the movie The Thing from the perspective of the alien.

Yeah, this is great, just read it. Pro click!

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Stream showcased how global food works, only caught the end part but it looks like it becomes a resource like minerals/energy, with policies dictating how much you stockpile. Anyone caught the full explanation?

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Notably, eating people provides a substantial boost.

eta: If they eat the Snailiens I am going to be so triggered. Please be nice to Snailiens.

GunnerJ fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Feb 9, 2017

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

GunnerJ posted:

eta: If they eat the Snailiens I am going to be so triggered. Please be nice to Snailiens.
counterpoint: eating them is an acceptable way to PURGE THE ALIEN

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Apparently Observation Stations have a new "Indoctrinate" button...

prussian advisor
Jan 15, 2007

The day you see a camera come into our courtroom, its going to roll over my dead body.
edit: wrong thread

Serf
May 5, 2011

Wow, for a second I thought either I'd overlooked a whole game system or Utopia was gonna be even crazier than before.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

GunnerJ posted:

Apparently Observation Stations have a new "Indoctrinate" button...

Does this mean I can now convert primitives to my ethics before uplifting them? Ace.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Aethernet posted:

Does this mean I can now convert primitives to my ethics before uplifting them? Ace.

That's my guess, but they said it'd be covered in next week's dev diary iirc.

• Locked thread