Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

fishmech posted:

I thought the whole deal with London in particular was that there was some sort of tax you didn't need to pay on a residence if it wasn't your primary residence?

What kind of rear end-backwards rule is that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Yeah again I know nothing about London. In Vancouver we just slapped a 15% tax on non-citizens and the market crashed immediately. Seattle is the new target now apparently.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

Yeah again I know nothing about London. In Vancouver we just slapped a 15% tax on non-citizens and the market crashed immediately.

Isn't Vancouver one of the ":lol: everything is poo poo" markets?

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Jerry Cotton posted:

Isn't Vancouver one of the ":lol: everything is poo poo" markets?

Depends on what you mean by that.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Depends on what you mean by that.

Well I've never tried to live in Vancouver, I just (occasionally) read threads on the Not Altogether Splendid forums.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Jerry Cotton posted:

Well I've never tried to live in Vancouver, I just (occasionally) read threads on the Not Altogether Splendid forums.

I still don't know what you mean. By Canadian standards it was a very desirable city before housing prices went to poo poo. Only big city with mild winters, great natural scenery, healthy diverse tolerant culture, etc.

On the world stage it has no business being in the same league as Sydney, San Francisco, London etc.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I still don't know what you mean. By Canadian standards it was a very desirable city before housing prices went to poo poo. Only big city with mild winters, great natural scenery, healthy diverse tolerant culture, etc.

On the world stage it has no business being in the same league as Sydney, San Francisco, London etc.

What about Salt Saint Marie?

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Jerry Cotton posted:

What about Salt Saint Marie?

Uhh what about it? It has horrible winters, 3% of the population of Vancouver... Generally not in the discussion about the best of... anything.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Here are the Q75 prices for regular homes in Belgium in 2016:

I'm looking to buy something right now but am unfortunately in one of the purple splotches.

>1.000.000 is crazy though, even in dollars. I'm surprised it took Canada that long to pass legislation to deal with it. Of course, if you're already a homeowner it's a pretty sweet deal if the housing market in your area goes into overdrive.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Peanut President posted:

How on earth is Connecticut a separate state from New York City?

The paper actually mentions this specifically:

quote:

Importantly, several of these algorithmically-detected megaregions also show spatial divisions which are not immediately evident in visual interpretation. Consider, for example, the detected community in the state of Connecticut (purple). Southwestern Connecticut is strongly linked to the New York City commuter region, and most visual heuristic regionalizations would merge this area into Greater New York. Yet Combo assigned an almost perfect break at the New York-Connecticut state border, creating a discrete Connecticut region which encompasses the state of Connecticut together with the Connecticut River Valley corridor running through western Massachusetts, from the city of Springfield to the Vermont border.

Again, since Combo does not know “where” these nodes are in space, and does not know which state each node belongs to, the emergence of a community border which almost perfectly follows the real jurisdictional border between Connecticut and New York is highly An Economic Geography of the United States suggestive, indicating perhaps that commuting decisions are being modified by factors that have to do with crossing this state border. To be clear, there are still many commutes crossing between Connecticut and New York; what the algorithm finds, however, is that there is a stronger internal than external matrix of connections on either side of this edge. A similar pattern is evident along the Delaware River between New Jersey and Pennsylvania,

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Phlegmish posted:

What kind of rear end-backwards rule is that?

From trying to research it, it appears to be the "council tax" that is affected, and it's allowed for property to be taxed at half value if it is considered vacant in many situations, including simply being a place where the owner never shows up. It's allowable for localities in England and Wales to also choose to raise the tax rate above normal for long-term vacant buildings, but very few seem to do it.

Apparently until a 2013 reform, the discount was everywhere in England and Wales, but since 2013 local jurisdictions may change it to be either taxed at full rate, or taxed at a less discounted rate?

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Phlegmish posted:

Here are the Q75 prices for regular homes in Belgium in 2016:

I'm looking to buy something right now but am unfortunately in one of the purple splotches.

>1.000.000 is crazy though, even in dollars. I'm surprised it took Canada that long to pass legislation to deal with it. Of course, if you're already a homeowner it's a pretty sweet deal if the housing market in your area goes into overdrive.

Canada didn't pass legislation, just the province of British Columbia - and only for Metro Vancouver. Strangely, Chinese seem uninterested in other Canadian cities - even Victoria, BC, which has a lot of the same qualities. I'd love to move there but the job market isn't great.

I have owned a condo for 10+ years but I'd give it all back to bring the economy back to earth. At this rate there will be nothing left but customer service jobs. We have the highest luxury goods sales per capita in North America and no economy other than real estate, it's so weird.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I get that, but at least your condo must be worth x times more by now. People buying for the first time are hosed unless they have millionaire parents.

I'd be interested in seeing what the housing market is like in other countries, if anyone has got maps or data :justpost:

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Phlegmish posted:

I get that, but at least your condo must be worth x times more by now. People buying for the first time are hosed unless they have millionaire parents.

I'd be interested in seeing what the housing market is like in other countries, if anyone has got maps or data :justpost:

My place only worth something if I leave the city. I can't even upgrade to a three bedroom condo - they start at $1,000,000. The most basic fixer upper house is $2,000,000. And my wife understandably doesn't want to leave because she has an amazing career (real estate-adjacent of course, although thankfully still viable in a crash). We had to make the choice to not have kids, which we may have done otherwise, but it makes you a bit resentful to not even have the option.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
aaah, capitalism... :allears:

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

Phlegmish posted:

>1.000.000 is crazy though, even in dollars.

1,000,000 USD is 935,000 Euro. 1,000,000 CAD is 710,000. It's all numbers still way out of reach of most people even if cheaper than 1M Euro.

Phlegmish posted:

Not home prices but 1 bedroom apartment monthly rent prices in San Francisco. As of January, one bedroom apartments in San Francisco rent for $3407 a month on average and two bedroom apartment rents average $4631 a month.

misdirectomy
Feb 19, 2008

fermun posted:

Not home prices but 1 bedroom apartment monthly rent prices in San Francisco. As of January, one bedroom apartments in San Francisco rent for $3407 a month on average and two bedroom apartment rents average $4631 a month.

As someone who lives in the 6th or 7th most expensive city in America this map is loving nuts. Imagine showing this to someone who lives in, say, Haiti.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
$2,300 to live in the Tenderloin, good goddamn.

I'm leaving the Bay and its insane housing prices in the dust this summer, but I'm keeping Bay Area pay. It's win-win and I'm going to live like a king in the Central Valley.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Paradoxish posted:

The paper actually mentions this specifically:

That sounds like a lot of horse poo poo to me considering there are areas which aren't connected at all yet are listed as being in the same state. Though I'm sure they have some hand waving "THE ALGORITHMS" explanation in there.

Peanut President fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Feb 9, 2017

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Spoeank posted:

$2,300 to live in the Tenderloin, good goddamn.

I'm leaving the Bay and its insane housing prices in the dust this summer, but I'm keeping Bay Area pay. It's win-win and I'm going to live like a king in the Central Valley.

Enjoy having nothing to do but gently caress your cousin.

I hope you like the taste of alfalfa.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Shbobdb posted:

Enjoy having nothing to do but gently caress your cousin.

I hope you like the taste of alfalfa.

Lol the gently caress

I'm moving to Sacramento, not Ceres. The Bay Area and its thousands of identical, antiseptic strip malls full of oblivous morons can kiss my rear end.

Sorry I can't enjoy the amazing cultural hotbeds that are Cupertino or Fremont anymore.

The Bay Area is unmitigated poo poo outside of SF, sorry man. I can save over $1000 a month there for exactly what I get here.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Spoeank posted:

Lol the gently caress

I'm moving to Sacramento, not Ceres. The Bay Area and its thousands of identical, antiseptic strip malls full of oblivous morons can kiss my rear end.

Sorry I can't enjoy the amazing cultural hotbeds that are Cupertino or Fremont anymore.

The Bay Area is unmitigated poo poo outside of SF, sorry man. I can save over $1000 a month there for exactly what I get here.

Nice self own. I'm sorry you got priced out of Fremont and Cupertino.

Seriously though, since what you want is a reasonably priced antiseptic strip mall, I hope you are able to enjoy what you get.

It's how McDonald's became famous.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

I too feel the need to assert the superiority of my town and living arrangements over your town and living arrangements. Why, your town probably isn't even exactly what I want, and doesn't even have that feature that I like! What a terrible town!

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Powered Descent posted:

Sour grapes is a sound philosophy for life.

FTFY.

Reject fascism and other forms of antilife at every turn.

reagan
Apr 29, 2008

by Lowtax

Powered Descent posted:

I too feel the need to assert the superiority of my town and living arrangements over your town and living arrangements. Why, your town probably isn't even exactly what I want, and doesn't even have that feature that I like! What a terrible town!

Seriously. San Francisco has to be one of the most overrated places on the planet. A bunch of dweeby tech-bros sucking eachother off while talking about oh so great they are. I can't wait for this bubble to pop and leave these fools out on the streets.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

reagan posted:

Seriously. San Francisco has to be one of the most overrated places on the planet. A bunch of dweeby tech-bros sucking eachother off while talking about oh so great they are. I can't wait for this bubble to pop and leave these fools out on the streets.

Username/post combo

:pusheen:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Shbobdb posted:

Reject fascism and other forms of antilife at every turn.
Fascism isn't antilife, it's antichoice.

It's all about kinder, küche, kirche, one for mum, one for dad, and one for the country, and all that poo poo.

Antilife at least has the reduction of suffering as its key aim, rather than the promotion of the nation or state or some other abstraction.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

fermun posted:

drat, that's more than I make in a month. I have a modest salary and I'm not in the tech industry, of course. Maybe it's affordable if you are. Still, gently caress that, I would feel dirty paying that much in rent no matter how much I made.

What is rent like in medium-sized American cities?

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

My brother and I recently visited Suhl, a medium-sized city (~36,000 people) in Thuringia (eastern Germany) and looked up the prices there on a whim. If you wanted to, you could live there in a 64m² flat (~690 sqft) right in the middle of the city with a bloody loggia and everything for 290€ before utilities, it's ridiculous.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.
I am not an expert, but it seems like San Francisco is a funny end-result of America's love affair with the suburbs. Suddenly an economic bubble comes that drives people into a city proper, and it becomes instantly unliveable

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

System Metternich posted:

My brother and I recently visited Suhl, a medium-sized city (~36,000 people) in Thuringia (eastern Germany) and looked up the prices there on a whim. If you wanted to, you could live there in a 64m² flat (~690 sqft) right in the middle of the city with a bloody loggia and everything for 290€ before utilities, it's ridiculous.

I was going to say Germany seemed like paradise on earth, but then I saw the fated words 'eastern Germany'. I take it the job scene isn't too great there, and people are actively moving out?

I'm assuming prices in downtown München are a little different.

Ras Het posted:

I am not an expert, but it seems like San Francisco is a funny end-result of America's love affair with the suburbs. Suddenly an economic bubble comes that drives people into a city proper, and it becomes instantly unliveable

Seems like you have the same phenomenon in Manhattan, only with the financial sector.

Mano
Jul 11, 2012

Just don't look up prices in Switzerland. I'm a bit outside of Zurich and pay a bit above 2000CHF for 72m2 (and a nice loggia, my big party freezer in the Winter).

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
In America at least, there's this weird thing going on where traditional rural areas are emptying out and poor people are being pushed out of cities by gentrification.

The American future seems to be this: rich exurbs, rich cities, and huge zones of restive banlieues.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Jesus what is the average San Fransisco salary? Does it literally have no poor people in it?

Phlegmish posted:

I was going to say Germany seemed like paradise on earth, but then I saw the fated words 'eastern Germany'. I take it the job scene isn't too great there, and people are actively moving out?

I mean, Berlin is Eastern Germany :v:

DarkCrawler fucked around with this message at 13:23 on Feb 9, 2017

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

DarkCrawler posted:

Jesus what is the average San Fransisco salary? Does it literally have no poor people in it?

Again, they're there, but being pushed out into "inner-ring" suburbs.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Again, they're there, but being pushed out into "inner-ring" suburbs.

Looking at the map they seem like cities in their own right, how bad are prices in Oakland, San Mateo, Fremont, etc?

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

DarkCrawler posted:

I mean, Berlin is Eastern Germany :v:

I've heard that parts of Berlin are still affordable, actually.

If my condo hunt in Flanders doesn't work out I am thinking of applying for refugee status in Germany. It's a magical land.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.
Berlin is super affordable for a lot of people moving in there, but I've heard there's so few flats available nowadays that it's a bit of a nightmare finding one

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

Phlegmish posted:

I'm assuming prices in downtown München are a little different.

If your goal is to work at small arms-making companies (like hunting guns and stuff) then Suhl seems to be a pretty good deal, otherwise there's probably not a lot going on. Munich is ridiculous, a friend of mine used to pay something like 400€ for a tiny and somewhat shabby 14m² flat where the “kitchen“ consisted of a cupboard with a built-in sink.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

DarkCrawler posted:

Looking at the map they seem like cities in their own right, how bad are prices in Oakland, San Mateo, Fremont, etc?

They're cities, but not The City. Never the center of their metro region. Most of the suburbs I'm speaking of aren't as large as, say, Oakland, but almost all are at least somewhere, not unincorporated land.