Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Beefstew posted:

Apparently Mac Walters said that Cerberus had nothing to do with the formation/sponsorship of the Andromeda Initiative. So hopefully their presence or impact will be minimized.

Sure. But didn't he write those comics that said TIM's name was Jack Harper?

One of the crew is Cora Harper. In the past, Bioware has changed names when it has led to unintentional comparisons. But they've kept this one. Hmm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Zakmonster posted:

Apparently its not really a 'save-the-universe' deal, though, and Rookie Fuckstick works better on a small scale - especially if the conceit is exploring the new galaxy and building communities with your fellow space-travelers.

It's Bioware. It's a save-the-universe deal.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Cythereal posted:

It's Bioware. It's a save-the-universe deal.

Counterpoint: DA2

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.
That's just an argument for why they probably should stick to their save-the-universe deal.

Speaking of saving the world, I just finished Inquisition with DLC for the first time. Honestly, if Andromeda turns out to be mostly Inquisition in space with guns, I'd probably enjoy it.
Yeah sure, there's a lot of boring fetch quests and pointless collect-a-thons. But the vast majority of those are optional. When I started Trespasser I had over 200 power with nothing to spend it on, and like 500 each of the common flowers.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Torrannor posted:

Counterpoint: DA2

Probably still my favorite Dragon Age game just because of the smaller scope of the game's narrative.

It would be nice if instead of galaxy-saving quest we just got to carve out a home for our ark and it was all about dealing with the people and factions standing in the way of that.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
How is the big boobs situation in this game so far?

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Serf posted:

Probably still my favorite Dragon Age game just because of the smaller scope of the game's narrative.

ACValiant
Sep 7, 2005

Huh...? Oh, this? Nah, don't worry. Just in the middle of some messy business.

Serf posted:

It would be nice if instead of galaxy-saving quest we just got to carve out a home for our ark and it was all about dealing with the people and factions standing in the way of that.

I agree, I would like a story of smaller scope, but dang. Dragon Age 2 was... not great. You really liked it more than the first one? Or even DA:I?

Serf
May 5, 2011

ACValiant posted:

I agree, I would like a story of smaller scope, but dang. Dragon Age 2 was... not great. You really liked it more than the first one? Or even DA:I?

One thing I always liked were RPGs with smaller settings, and Kirkwall being the primary game area really did that for me. Don't get me wrong, traveling across Thedas in Origins and Inquisition was cool, but having just one area that you become very familiar with is something I'm into (gimme Warren Spector's proposed one-city-block RPG :argh: ). Also I liked Varric and Aveline a lot, and the plot gets bonkers towards the end which was pretty great. I wasn't a fan of the combat system at first because I liked the Infinity Engine-style combat in DA:O, but I warmed up to it pretty quickly. It's not a complete upgrade like Mass Effect -> Mass Effect 2, but it is satisfying in its own way, both as a melee fighter and a mage. The central conflict being between mages and templars was the one I was most interested in from Origins, so it was cool to see that explored (as much as I love the darkspawn, they're less interesting), and they did more with the qunari, who I had a lot of questions about as well.

I would dig a Mass Effect game set on a single planet, or on a huge megastructure like the Citadel, but by its very nature the series is about planet-hopping space adventures, so it probably wouldn't fly.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Serf posted:

One thing I always liked were RPGs with smaller settings, and Kirkwall being the primary game area really did that for me. Don't get me wrong, traveling across Thedas in Origins and Inquisition was cool, but having just one area that you become very familiar with is something I'm into (gimme Warren Spector's proposed one-city-block RPG :argh: ). Also I liked Varric and Aveline a lot, and the plot gets bonkers towards the end which was pretty great. I wasn't a fan of the combat system at first because I liked the Infinity Engine-style combat in DA:O, but I warmed up to it pretty quickly. It's not a complete upgrade like Mass Effect -> Mass Effect 2, but it is satisfying in its own way, both as a melee fighter and a mage. The central conflict being between mages and templars was the one I was most interested in from Origins, so it was cool to see that explored (as much as I love the darkspawn, they're less interesting), and they did more with the qunari, who I had a lot of questions about as well.

I would dig a Mass Effect game set on a single planet, or on a huge megastructure like the Citadel, but by its very nature the series is about planet-hopping space adventures, so it probably wouldn't fly.

Nitpicking, but you didn't travel across Thedas in DA:O and DA: I.
Thedas is the entire world. DA: O spanned Ferelden, DA: I Ferelden and Orlais.
There's still Antiva, Rivain, Tevinter, whatever the Qunari call their nation. Maybe the Anderfels is it's own nation or a city-state, not sure about that.
Speaking of, there's city-states in the Free Marches we haven't seen yet either, like Ostwick, home to the human Inquisitors.

I see what you're saying about the much more focused setting though, and it has it's appeal, but personally I think that DA2 executed it extremely poorly. The single cave map is but one example, but it's a good one. If you want to focus on a single city, there's really no excuse for having every single interior be identical.

Something I would want, that still fit the smaller focused scope, would be a full game about reclaiming a lost thaig. I love the DA take on dwarves, and I enjoyed the Deep Roads DLC for Inquisition.

E: Mass Effect at it's core is space opera, the planet hopping a natural part of it.
That said, I do think the franchise could accommodate sidequels. 'Course the reason not to is the very same as why we're getting Andromeda; in the eyes of many ME3 irrevocably hosed the entire galaxy up. You can't set something after it, and if you set your game before, you'd get people saying what's the point, everone's going to die in a few years anyway.

Groetgaffel fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Feb 9, 2017

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

I bet that this game will primarily be about salvaging the Andromeda Initiative, finding a new Earth for the humans on the Arc (and maybe helping the other Pathfinders find homes for their people too) and establishing relations, good or bad, with the Andromeda galactic community.

But there's probably some galaxy ending threat locked up in the Remant Vaults that's going to escape and require the Andromeda and Milkey Way races working together to stop it.

SgtSteel91 fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Feb 9, 2017

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

SgtSteel91 posted:

But there's probably some galaxy ending threat locked up in the Remant Vaults that's going to escape and require the Andromeda and Milkey Way races working together to stop it.
It's Shepard.

VVVVV Same. Does she want to bang you? Murder you? Both? Nobody knows, and you sure as hell aren't going to stay and find out.

Groetgaffel fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Feb 9, 2017

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

Groetgaffel posted:

It's Shepard.

I'd play a Mass Effect game where you're the leader of a pirate band on your pirate spaceship, pursued by unstoppable juggernaut Shepard.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

yknow what game is gonna benefit from a very focused setting is DETROIT: Become Human let's talk about that

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

isk posted:

Agreed. We need more Shepards, Geralts, and Ashley Riots.

It'd be pretty funny if the whole game was Ryder putting together a merry band of idiots and fuckups and just scraping by, preparing for the big confrontation....only for some N7 dudes to wake up from cryosleep and effortless blast the antagonist away.

tayvaan
Oct 22, 2010
https://www.reddit.com/r/masseffect/comments/5t13cs/info_from_pc_gamer_uk_march_issue/

I guess PC Gamer UK has some andromeda info this month

Serf
May 5, 2011

Huh, that all sounds like pretty much what I want. I'm here for the super-casual Mass Effect game where we're just trying to get by in space and poo poo.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
this article says there's no overarching threat, but I thought we'd already decided there would be?!

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Serf posted:

Huh, that all sounds like pretty much what I want. I'm here for the super-casual Mass Effect game where we're just trying to get by in space and poo poo.

this. it definitely sounds more start treky. which is a nice change.

Reclaimer
Sep 3, 2011

Pierced through the heart
but never killed

Super No Vacancy posted:

yknow what game is gonna benefit from a very focused setting is DETROIT: Become Human let's talk about that

I am hype for this PS4 exclusive from legendary video game director David Cage.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

:yeah:

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Reclaimer posted:

I am hype for this PS4 exclusive from legendary video game director David Cage.

yeah pretty much. what sucks is the idea while done to death is cool but its david cage, which means the gameplay will suck and the story wont make sense or will blow its load in the first half and have dumb twists that ruin everything.

Reclaimer
Sep 3, 2011

but never killed

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah pretty much. what sucks is the idea while done to death is cool but its david cage, which means the gameplay will suck and the story wont make sense or will blow its load in the first half and have dumb twists that ruin everything.

This is literally my exact opinion on it.

But I don't own a PS4 anyways :sad:

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Can't wait to see the LP mocking it mercilessly.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

marshmallow creep posted:

Can't wait to see the LP mocking it mercilessly.

But enough about Mass Effect...

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Heavy Rain was good

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
https://www.masseffect.com/news/vetra-nyx
http://lvlt.bioware.cdn.ea.com/bioware/u/f/eagames/bioware/blog/andromeda/kits/VetraCharacterKit.pdf

Teron D Amun
Oct 9, 2010

Serf posted:

well you kinda can live that dream in both the Omega and Citadel DLC in ME3, both take place in one area pretty much

quote:

Cora is 'more militaristic and orders and rules based',

Ashley 2.0

Teron D Amun fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Feb 9, 2017

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

bitter middle-aged social studies or english lit teacher lookin rear end

MeatloafCat
Apr 10, 2007
I can't think of anything to put here.
In the head on close up, her visor sort of looks like :pwn: with a lazy eye.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

I guess Vetra is another Soldier type, or maybe Engineer with the heavily upgraded armor?

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005
I feel like this game is going to force me to take Peebee because all these characters look and sound boring as gently caress.

Hopefully Drack will come through as interesting.

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

This sounds both cool and good, how can it be possible??!!?

Reclaimer
Sep 3, 2011

but never killed

Super No Vacancy posted:

Heavy Rain was good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DAhG9D9UO7c

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

SgtSteel91 posted:

I guess Vetra is another Soldier type, or maybe Engineer with the heavily upgraded armor?

The companions aren't going to stick to those classic roles. Vetra sound like a Soldier/Engineer i.e. an Infiltrator but uses tech for tankiness instead of stealth.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Yeah, sounds like she might be like a Sentinel with an Assault Rifle but no biotics, or Grunt but with guile.

neonbregna
Aug 20, 2007

TotalHell posted:

This sounds both cool and good, how can it be possible??!!?

How can this be a cool or good game if it I can't choose my pronouns?

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Golly gee, Vetra looks super swell :3:

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Still funny every time I see it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Illiterate Clitoris
Oct 24, 2011