Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

Lid posted:

A Coalition senator is threatening to oppose his own government's plan to axe the notorious Life Gold Pass – which gives former MPs free business-class travel on the taxpayer – saying it's time someone stood up for politicians.

Queensland backbencher Ian Macdonald says politicians work extremely hard and don't get paid particularly well for their efforts.

Senator Macdonald – who is paid a salary of $200,000 a year as a backbencher

Hilarious Hills To Die On for $400
Firstly, Macdonald can get hosed. I am quite happy for former PMs to get a Gold Pass. You would hope that they might have some contribution to make post office and that should be facilitated. E.g. I'm more than happy for Keating to zip all over the nation handing people's arse to themselves. Everyone else as I've said, everyone else can get hosed.

To the other point. I know politicians might trade off private sector money for power of office glory and it elevates plenty of dipshits to money they could never earn in the world. Honestly though, the money is probably not that great to incentivise more quality candidates to throw their hats into the ring treating it as a genuine job and not just as some shiny arse who can't believe their loving luck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Politics is a social service not the financial iccupation it has come with the uni student train of kids going through unipolitic politik gaming to get money and no ideals

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

Lid posted:

Politics is a social service not the financial iccupation it has come with the uni student train of kids going through unipolitic politik gaming to get money and no ideals
And to a degree how is that different to now?

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

Graic Gabtar posted:

Firstly, Macdonald can get hosed. I am quite happy for former PMs to get a Gold Pass. You would hope that they might have some contribution to make post office and that should be facilitated. E.g. I'm more than happy for Keating to zip all over the nation handing people's arse to themselves. Everyone else as I've said, everyone else can get hosed.

To the other point. I know politicians might trade off private sector money for power of office glory and it elevates plenty of dipshits to money they could never earn in the world. Honestly though, the money is probably not that great to incentivise more quality candidates to throw their hats into the ring treating it as a genuine job and not just as some shiny arse who can't believe their loving luck.

Source your quotes

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
*watch Shorten's 7:30 interview on facebook*
*check comments section*
"BUT BILL WHEN WILL YOU DO SOMETHING ABOUT THE ABORIGINAL AND AFRICAN GANGS KILLING PEOPLE IN MELBOURNE??????"

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
There are hundreds of people better off than parliamentarians!

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
twos-of-hundreds!

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
https://twitter.com/JoshButler/status/829534898541039616
https://twitter.com/mpbowers/status/829536501822164992
https://twitter.com/axmcc/status/829536671716683778
https://twitter.com/murpharoo/status/829534075224416256

https://twitter.com/PoliticsFairfax/status/829547748638683136

blindidiotgod
Jan 9, 2005

Isn't that against regs to have props in chambers? Or is that only for the Senate?

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil
The speaker did comment on the prop not being allowed if you listen to the video.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

starkebn posted:

There are hundreds of people better off than parliamentarians!

blindidiotgod
Jan 9, 2005

norp posted:

The speaker did comment on the prop not being allowed if you listen to the video.

Just keep passing it around. Like a political football through the back(benchers)line.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

This will be a good look once the sea levels rise, mista speakah

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope
I can't wait for these fuckwits to be voted out.

AgentF
May 11, 2009
My God what an amazing gift to the Greens. These images are all tailor-made for political ads and memes. Look forward to the climate change argument next election, with these idiots shown literally smiling and holding a lump of coal.

Quasimango
Mar 10, 2011

God damn you.

That's not Keating.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

quote:

Get a job with Adani and infiltrate coal project, activists urge supporters
Galilee Blockade, which opposes the $16bn Carmichael mine, urges followers to apply for jobs with the Indian company

Is that what they mean by change from within?

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

yawn, 730 doing another hatchet job on renewables.

give it up ABC, sucking up to the Liberals like this will never get you more money in the next budget.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Synthbuttrange posted:

oh god entryism, soon Adani will be run by trots.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Quasimango posted:

That's not Keating.

I'd like to think it is him. It's funny that Mark Di Stefano is miffed about it.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/TonyAbbottMHR/status/829556224228077568

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."
Next summer is going to be all kinds of fun when Vic and sa have rolling blackouts and the libs try to blame all those renewables that haven't been installed because of their lovely energy policy

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Professor was on PM saying it's perfectly safe to live in Mt Isa so long as you clean your dust filled house better than a surgery, never ever let the kids out in the open, and make sure young kids never touch anything with their hands. Then you get lead poisoning, but it's otherwise completely safe to live there. Also everyone needs to get tested for lead levels, presumably at your own expense.

The ABC reporter for some reason kept saying it was completely safe so long as you do the right thing*. (So long as you do the right thing and behave like you're on Mars and wearing a space suit).

---------
* As in it was pretty clearly the intent to mean that if you get Lead Poisoning it's YOUR FAULT and nothing to do with the mining, and most definatly nothing to do with any mining companies!

Comstar fucked around with this message at 13:12 on Feb 9, 2017

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Comstar posted:

Professor was on PM saying it's perfectly safe to live in Mt Isa so long as you clean your dust filled house better than a surgery, never ever let the kids out in the open, and make sure young kids never touch anything with their hands. Then you get lead poisoning, but it's otherwise completely safe to live there. Also everyone needs to get tested for lead levels, presumably at your own expense.

The ABC reporter for some reason kept saying it was completely safe so long as you do the right thing*. (So long as you do the right thing and behave like you're on Mars and wearing a space suit).

---------
* As in it was pretty clearly the intent to mean that if you get Lead Poisoning it's YOUR FAULT and nothing to do with the mining, and most definatly nothing to do with any mining companies!

I saw the ABC report on it and was like ~~~wtf~~~ this is insane

AgentF
May 11, 2009

Very interesting. I would've assumed Abbott is a Trumpist. What is he trying to do here?

The Sausages
Sep 30, 2012

What do you want to do? Who do you want to be?

Synthbuttrange posted:

The CIA posted:

The purpose of this paper is to characterize simple sabotage, to outline its possible effects, and to present suggestions for inciting and executing it. Sabotage varies from highly technical coup de main acts that require detailed planning and the use of specially trained operatives, to innumerable simple acts which the ordinary individual citizen-saboteur can perform. This paper is primarily concerned with the latter type.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Recoome posted:

I saw the ABC report on it and was like ~~~wtf~~~ this is insane

Is this online for those of us who missed it?

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001

AgentF posted:

My God what an amazing gift to the Greens. These images are all tailor-made for political ads and memes. Look forward to the climate change argument next election, with these idiots shown literally smiling and holding a lump of coal.

Have some respect, that's the Liberal party mascot.

MiniSune
Sep 16, 2003

Smart like Dodo!

AgentF posted:

Very interesting. I would've assumed Abbott is a Trumpist. What is he trying to do here?

Remember how Abbot wanted to send troops in to the Ukraine when mh17 got shot down because the bad Russian backed forces were alledgedly looting the site (and so on)

I will grant him that he is consistently anti Russian in this issue

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Abbott wants to opportunistically take the leadership back, and thinks his tough guy against Russia show really played really well with the voting public last time, there's actually nothing more to it than that.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

pffff if you think Australians know the Ukraine is anywhere near Russia let alone fighting them

Abbott just wants to still feel relevant so will attach himself to any foreign dignitary he can get near to

starkebn fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Feb 9, 2017

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Anyone hear the rumblings that apparently there was a big beef in the Coalition party room today?

UrbanLabyrinth
Jan 28, 2009

When my eyes were stabbed by the flash of a neon light
That split the night
And touched the sound of silence

College Slice

starkebn posted:

pffff if you think Australians know the Ukraine is anywhere near Russia let alone fighting them

Abbott just wants to still feel relevant so will attach himself to any foreign dignitary he can get near to

PSA: "The Ukraine" is what Russia likes it to be called, because it suggests it's just a region, not a sovereign state. Ukraine is the proper name of the country, without the the.

UrbanLabyrinth fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Feb 9, 2017

starkebn
May 18, 2004

UrbanLabyrinth posted:

PSA: "The Ukraine" is how Russia likes it to be called, because it suggests it's just a region. Ukraine is the proper name of the country, without the the.

right-o

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Senor Tron posted:

Anyone hear the rumblings that apparently there was a big beef in the Coalition party room today?

might have been yelling at MacDonald

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

AgentF posted:

Nah, I think he's more of the old-school style conservative that considers Russia the bad guy, a bit like the traditional sort of republican in the US.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

gay picnic defence posted:

Nah, I think he's more of the old-school style conservative that considers Russia the bad guy, a bit like the traditional sort of republican in the US.

But the Republicans love Russia these days.

Deep down under the soil in Wisconsin, McCarthy is spinning away in his grave.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Trump loves Russia, some of the old warhawks in the party don't though.

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

NTRabbit posted:

Abbott wants to opportunistically take the leadership back, and thinks his tough guy against Russia show really played really well with the voting public last time, there's actually nothing more to it than that.
I think reluctantly accept is where he wants to get to and unless more planes are dropping out of sky no one probably cares who he meets with.

You Am I posted:

yawn, 730 doing another hatchet job on renewables.

give it up ABC, sucking up to the Liberals like this will never get you more money in the next budget.

http://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2017-02-09/sa-power-cuts-could-be-solved-by-nuclear-energy-say-liberals/8256814

The ABC posted:

SA power cuts: Nuclear energy should be considered as solution, state Liberals say

Despite opposing a high-level nuclear waste dump in South Australia, state Liberal leader Steven Marshall is now proposing nuclear power as a potential solution to the state's energy reliability issues.
lol

Graic Gabtar fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Feb 9, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

another one nation candidate has been disendorsed because she didn't pay $2400 upfront

• Locked thread