Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
steakmancer
May 18, 2010

by Lowtax
"Folks! The Merchant Guilds! For far too long, these guys - and they're bad, bad, guys - they have held far too much influence! We're gonna drain the swamp!"

*first day in office: presses all the buttons that empower the merchant guilds*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Don't listen to what they say I'm here for you

*Snags 100MP off a two state deal*

It's for the people

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
I love it when you have the -AE idea from Influence, the event from Influence that gives you -10% AE, and you are the curia controller, which gives you -20% AE. I just took pretty much all of Italy north of Rome in 1550 AD and no one gave a poo poo.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Node posted:

I love it when you have the -AE idea from Influence, the event from Influence that gives you -10% AE, and you are the curia controller, which gives you -20% AE. I just took pretty much all of Italy north of Rome in 1550 AD and no one gave a poo poo.

Same, it's 1600 and I'm just missing Sudtirol, Friuli, and Venezia. Austria :argh: I own everything else from Napoli to Piedmont.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

steakmancer posted:

"Folks! The Merchant Guilds! For far too long, these guys - and they're bad, bad, guys - they have held far too much influence! We're gonna drain the swamp!"

*first day in office: presses all the buttons that empower the merchant guilds*

Your Mangoness, the rotten swine in

the People's Republic of
China declared war on us! Prepare for battle...

They cite 'Diplomatic Insult' as Casus Belli!

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

joke's on them that cb is bad

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Did the mechanics for trust change at some point since it was introduced? The wiki says that it should accumulate over time when allied with someone, and raise by 10 when you accept their calls to war, but I have been playing a game for a while now and have never seen trust raise above 50 at all unless I spend favours to raise it manually.

*edit*

On a kind-of-but-not-really related note, I wish there was a way to ask to buy provinces from nations you're friendly with (I know they can offer to sell them to you but the AI rarely ever does that) - as the Netherlands I have a couple permanent claims on some territories that were originally part of Burgundy and have since been taken by France, and keep getting "border tension" events because of them, but France and I have been BFFs the entire game so I don't want to backstab my most reliable ally for a couple measly provinces. At the same time I don't like the idea of giving up permanent claims either, and it would be nice to have a compromise option.

The Cheshire Cat fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Feb 8, 2017

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

If anyone from Paradox still reads this thread, can you please make enemies/rivals show up on the diplo map? Would be helpful for finding who's where in some starts.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug

Wafflecopper posted:

If anyone from Paradox still reads this thread, can you please make enemies/rivals show up on the diplo map? Would be helpful for finding who's where in some starts.

Also can you color provinces on the diplo map for Condottieri so you can see where your hired out army is actually supposed to be easier?

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib

Wafflecopper posted:

Doesn't that show on the opinion map?

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

I have a great start as Bengal going but I dont play in India much so I'm not too sure how to proceed. I took Exploration and am still working on finishing it out and I just unlocked my second idea. It looks like there are some high development provinces I will have to conquer to dominate India and to get over to Samarkand, plus attrition is high in these fetid jungles so I feel like Admin would be a great idea for the coring discount (I mean, it always is, but...) and the merc discount to save manpower, however, Bengal does not get any military bonuses in their ideas so I really feel like I should take Innovative so I can take Offensive and Quality to get some of those badass mil policies so I'm not a pushover later on. Anyone have any insight?

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Feb 8, 2017

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Star posted:

Doesn't that show on the opinion map?

I don't usually use that mode so I didn't think to check that and yeah it works but dear god who thought it was a good idea to colour neutrals eye-searingly bright yellow? I'd rather use the diplo mode for its grey neutrals. And besides, it's really weird that the diplomatic mapmode doesn't show one of the most important diplomatic relations.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
Ugh, this african power run is reminding me why I rarely get beyond 1700 in my campaigns. Every war turns into a huge slog and you have to micromanage every part of your empire.
When you have to keep an eye on your main war in Morrocco and also make sure the Ottomans don't sneak in on the other side of the country, not to mention all the tiny naval invasions it just gets too much.
Having army missions like the naval missions would be nice. Just being able to tell an army to patrol a certain area for enemy armies would be so helpful.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

MrBling posted:

Ugh, this african power run is reminding me why I rarely get beyond 1700 in my campaigns. Every war turns into a huge slog and you have to micromanage every part of your empire.
When you have to keep an eye on your main war in Morrocco and also make sure the Ottomans don't sneak in on the other side of the country, not to mention all the tiny naval invasions it just gets too much.
Having army missions like the naval missions would be nice. Just being able to tell an army to patrol a certain area for enemy armies would be so helpful.

The message setting that pauses the game every time a unit completes its orders is really helpful for huge empires like this. It sounds really awkward on paper but it's not that intrusive, I only started using it for my WC but now I can't play without it.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Did the mechanics for trust change at some point since it was introduced? The wiki says that it should accumulate over time when allied with someone, and raise by 10 when you accept their calls to war, but I have been playing a game for a while now and have never seen trust raise above 50 at all unless I spend favours to raise it manually.

You accumulate favors over time and then can spend those to increase trust. If the wiki says that trust increases over time, then it's wrong.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

Pillbug
Is there any easy way to deal with forts? I would love a macro builder tab that would tell me fort levels and let me mothball and delete without having to scour all my provinces.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

Pillbug

Fister Roboto posted:

You accumulate favors over time and then can spend those to increase trust. If the wiki says that trust increases over time, then it's wrong.

There must be more than that to it, because I have been allied to Austria for over 200 years and I have >85 trust with them, not having spent favors for it once.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Chin Strap posted:

There must be more than that to it, because I have been allied to Austria for over 200 years and I have >85 trust with them, not having spent favors for it once.
I think you get trust for maintaining the alliance, honoring calls to arms, living up to your end of the bargain by giving promised territory in peace deals, ect

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince
I am not good at hordes. I finally grasped the "be at war almost 100% of the time" aspect, but I don't understand how i'm supposed to get my economy in the green. I've taken so many loans that i am now spending more than 5 ducats on interest each month, and i only make 10. My income has been in the red all game.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Xinder posted:

I am not good at hordes. I finally grasped the "be at war almost 100% of the time" aspect, but I don't understand how i'm supposed to get my economy in the green. I've taken so many loans that i am now spending more than 5 ducats on interest each month, and i only make 10. My income has been in the red all game.

Are you getting as many ducats as you can in the peace and then razing every province you took? Especially the razing bit is really important, if you don't do that you'll fall way behind in tech as well as missing out on loot. Also, which horde are you? Some just have really lovely starts, but as GH/Kazan, Timurids or one of the Manchu minors you should be able to turn a profit pretty much from game start.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Xinder posted:

skasion posted:

Are you getting as many ducats as you can in the peace and then razing every province you took? Especially the razing bit is really important, if you don't do that you'll fall way behind in tech as well as missing out on loot. Also, which horde are you? Some just have really lovely starts, but as GH/Kazan, Timurids or one of the Manchu minors you should be able to turn a profit pretty much from game start.

This and also keep in mind that there are lots of situations where you just want to raze land and return it(or feed it to a vassal), so that you don't get too fat too quickly, unless you're rushing to reform.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

I dont understand why I am losing 2 Legitimacy a month while in a regency. Just seems odd and particularly harsh to me.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib

Chin Strap posted:

Is there any easy way to deal with forts? I would love a macro builder tab that would tell me fort levels and let me mothball and delete without having to scour all my provinces.

Think the easiest way to get an overview is to use the fort map mode, or the building manager.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

Pillbug
Quickest way to kill a ruler? I need my 20 yo ruler to die so that HRE emperor elections can happen again and I can shed the emperorship so I can form Germany

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Chin Strap posted:

Quickest way to kill a ruler? I need my 20 yo ruler to die so that HRE emperor elections can happen again and I can shed the emperorship so I can form Germany

Make them a general and assign them to an army.

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince

skasion posted:

Playing as qq who seem to have a pretty strong start. I'm trying to flip religion to orthodox because for some reason that seems like a good idea so I've been making it a goal to take all those provinces around me first. Now that I've got all the easy ones I think I'm going to start attacking the Anatolian minors and razing. But I think that just gets me mp which hasn't been too much of an issue for me. It's money that's my problem, despite emptying the purses of everyone I war.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I finally managed to snatch München from Austria in a surprisingly painfree war and formed Germany as the Teutonic Order. High time too since it was the 1770s. Catholic and Religious ideas go well together because I've been sitting on +3 stability for most of the game and permanent forgiven usury and papal sanctioned war. Also my mercantilism is at 88%. :v:

The Ottomans got the revolution and just for fun I saved the game, did some tag switching to make them declare war on me with the spread the revolution CB but there doesn't seem to actually be any forced government change among the peace options? Kinda disappointing that it didn't work because I'm mildly sick of being stuck at duchy level for being a monastic order despite my vast tracts of land. Shouldn't it be possible to at least upgrade to a normal theocracy?

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Chin Strap posted:

Dumb question: what's to deal? The only things Ive ever do about the forts is mothball then when in peace and occasionally upgrade one when I got a lot of money

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

Pillbug

Elias_Maluco posted:

Dumb question: what's to deal? The only things Ive ever do about the forts is mothball then when in peace and occasionally upgrade one when I got a lot of money

I have too many of them, many are unupgraded and in land where I don't care about them anyway. This is only a real issue in late game or whenever you start blobbing really hard. Also I'd like to be able to mothball selectively easier instead of just always hitting the mothball all button.

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince

Chin Strap posted:

I have too many of them, many are unupgraded and in land where I don't care about them anyway. This is only a real issue in late game or whenever you start blobbing really hard. Also I'd like to be able to mothball selectively easier instead of just always hitting the mothball all button.

you know you can just demolish them, right?

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

I dont understand why I am losing 2 Legitimacy a month while in a regency. Just seems odd and particularly harsh to me.

Tbh it's never really bothered me because a regency council's legitimacy is separate from the legitimacy of the heir they represent -- i.e. it'll reset to the actual number once they actually turn 16

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
Just delete your extra forts

Absum
May 28, 2013

I just recently picked this up again and I didn't realize that spread of discoveries won't work for me as Inca so it's past 1700 and I still can't see anything other than what I've explored myself and a few enemy and ally capitals.

Also I hate Spain and their PU events.

e: The Printing Press spawned in Africa this game in what I think was Catholic Soyo, so that was funny even if I have no idea how it happened.

Absum fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Feb 9, 2017

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Allyn posted:

Tbh it's never really bothered me because a regency council's legitimacy is separate from the legitimacy of the heir they represent -- i.e. it'll reset to the actual number once they actually turn 16

That used to be the case until the last patch, but I'm fairly sure it is not now.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

Pillbug

Xinder posted:

you know you can just demolish them, right?

I do sometimes, this is just a first world power problems issue where I can't make up my mind. Oh well

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

PittTheElder posted:

That used to be the case until the last patch, but I'm fairly sure it is not now.

Just checked with the console and it still seems to be the case for me. Killed heir, added new heir, killed ruler, had legitimacy of 54. Set legitimacy to 0, made heir succeed to the throne, legitimacy bumped back up to 54

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

:toot:

This game turned into a bit of a slog at the end, but all the difficulty had gone away since my army was so much bigger than anyone else. Might as well go on to 1820 and get the achievement for finishing a campaign.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
Is there an easy way to console yourself a core on a province? The Caspian Sea is buggy as gently caress and I can't core a province directly next to my vassal's core for some mysterious reason.

Wait isn't there some dumb loving rule where you're not allowed to core through vassal provinces if they're on a different continent or something? That makes sense until they're actually touching the same sea zone as your cores.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

RabidWeasel posted:

Is there an easy way to console yourself a core on a province? The Caspian Sea is buggy as gently caress and I can't core a province directly next to my vassal's core for some mysterious reason.

Wait isn't there some dumb loving rule where you're not allowed to core through vassal provinces if they're on a different continent or something? That makes sense until they're actually touching the same sea zone as your cores.

add_core [province id]
(don't include the square brackets)

And you can use debug_mode to get the province ids on mouseover

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alikchi
Aug 18, 2010

Thumbs up I agree

Any modders have opinions on the fanmade modding tools for eu4? What's useful? Trying to accelerate some work beyond what Notepad++ will allow

• Locked thread