Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Cassa posted:

Yeah, sounds too catastrophic for any recovering. This definitely kills games.
Half my players were using MW for their sheet, but fortunately they just leveled up so I am sure that all their poo poo is fresh in their mind to put onto a different sheet.

I can't even imagine tinkering around with data without manually backing it up and vetting it beforehand, holy gently caress. :psyboom:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Yawgmoth posted:

Half my players were using MW for their sheet, but fortunately they just leveled up so I am sure that all their poo poo is fresh in their mind to put onto a different sheet.

I can't even imagine tinkering around with data without manually backing it up and vetting it beforehand, holy gently caress. :psyboom:

Pride goeth, and so on. I think the worst part is how he says repeatedly in the postmortem how he knows he should have made a backup but didn't. At least he's owning up to it immediately instead of trying to deny.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...
New blogpost is up for The Next Project.

I wanted to pull back the curtain a little on the game's math and touch on some other things as well, but my DPR analysis is not complete as of right now.

The classes have all been linked in the Core Rules doc, which is in the sidebar of the blog; if anyone would be willing to pick their favourite class and run the numbers on it, I'd be much obliged :tipshat:

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

When they passed out body parts in the comics today, I got Cathy's nose and Dick Tracy's private parts.

mango sentinel posted:

Nearly 15 pages late but I want to point out the studio making the WoD Werewolf PC game are the luminaries behind those bad Bloodbowl games and the Styx series. What I'm saying is don't hope for much.

The premise of Werewolf is pretty much The Dumbest Thing, so it's not like they don't deserve each other.

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

And no one ate dinner that night.

Simian_Prime posted:

The premise of Werewolf is pretty much The Dumbest Thing, so it's not like they don't deserve each other.

What, you think a bunch of ethnic caricatures with magical powers teaming up to fight a bunch of villains whose sole motivation seems to be to destroy the planet is dumb?

Basically, what I'm trying to say is that Werewolf is supposed to be played as a grimdark Captain Planet and you're supposed to relish all the stupidity.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
So, which of those PbtA games are any good? I've played Dungeon World (wasn't very good, would rather have just played D&D 4e), and a small amount of Broken World (ok, but unfinished and clearly a first effort). Not interested in Monsterhearts, that's not my thing.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

SunAndSpring posted:

So, which of those PbtA games are any good? I've played Dungeon World (wasn't very good, would rather have just played D&D 4e), and a small amount of Broken World (ok, but unfinished and clearly a first effort). Not interested in Monsterhearts, that's not my thing.

You should probably start at Apocalypse World period. A lot of the concepts that make PBTA work sometimes aren't captured in the spin-off hacks, but are in AW.

Dungeon World, for example, arguably has a weakness in that it tries to adopt D&D sacred cows way too much for their own sake, rather than being a "fantasy dungeon crawler" of its own accord using PBTA mechanics.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

SunAndSpring posted:

Here we find a great wasteland

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Apocalypse World is the obvious answer, but I also rather like Masks and Spirit of '77. The latter doesn't get nearly enough love around here.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Despite some peculiarities, World Wide Wrestling is the best game I've ever seen for really playing professional wrestlers. (You're not just playing Hulk Hogan, you're playing Terry Bollea playing Hulk Hogan.) I expect people who don't appreciate wrestling won't get into it, though.

Edit: Spirit of '77 seems like a successor to a little indie game I remember called The Hard Way.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Feb 8, 2017

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Spirit of '77. The latter doesn't get nearly enough love around here.

I kinda like Spirit of 77, but as a foreigner born in the late 80s, my only cultural reference to that zeitgeist was the Starsky & Hutch remake, and so I couldn't really get into the spirit (ha!) of things.

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

Something about this feels kinda hinky

Halloween Jack posted:

Despite some peculiarities, World Wide Wrestling is the best game I've ever seen for really playing professional wrestlers. (You're not just playing Hulk Hogan, you're playing Terry Bollea playing Hulk Hogan.) I expect people who don't appreciate wrestling won't get into it, though.

Edit: Spirit of '77 seems like a successor to a little indie game I remember called The Hard Way.

I played World Wide Wrestling with a friend that never watched wrestling a while back. Now he goes to RAW tapings and is looking for local indie promotions now that he's moved to a bigger city. WWWRPG is the best game.

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

I don't know what to put here. Guys? GUYS?!

General Ironicus posted:

I played World Wide Wrestling with a friend that never watched wrestling a while back. Now he goes to RAW tapings and is looking for local indie promotions now that he's moved to a bigger city. WWWRPG is the best game.

The only drawback of the game is that you probably want Creative to be a fan of wrestling, or at least the idea of wrestling. It's easy to sell what makes wrestling fun and cool, but it takes at least a little effort.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
I'm going to be in France for a couple weeks at the end of the month. Any tabletop gaming things to check out while I'm there?

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

Something about this feels kinda hinky

thelazyblank posted:

The only drawback of the game is that you probably want Creative to be a fan of wrestling, or at least the idea of wrestling. It's easy to sell what makes wrestling fun and cool, but it takes at least a little effort.

While I completely agree, I don't see how that's significantly different from any other RPG. I'd hate to play D&D with a GM who wasn't into fantasy adventure.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

General Ironicus posted:

While I completely agree, I don't see how that's significantly different from any other RPG. I'd hate to play D&D with a GM who wasn't into fantasy adventure.

D&D is a game first, role-playing second. That GM would probably be fine unless they also hated the mechanics, and if they were really good, they could probably even spin their distaste for it into humor.

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

General Ironicus posted:

WWW doesn't have the same safety net of some games, and is a lot about momentum (not Momentum the stat, momentum the word). The first session of one mini-campaign I played in nearly died on the vine because the guy doing Creative thought he could stand back during the matches, and not focus on the things that make wrestling fun and neat.

I think a better way of putting it is "when you're running any rules-light game, but especially one like WWW, GM needs to be ready to jump in there and help people get excited about the subject matter".

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

And no one ate dinner that night.

SunAndSpring posted:

There's Fellowship which is a goon-made PbtA game that started out as a hack of Dungeon World but developed very much into its own thing.

It's basically based on the structure of Lord of the Rings: a fellowship of the champions of the various peoples of the world go on a quest to stop a big bad evil guy. However, they can't just march to Mordor (unless they want to get their asses kicked); the best tactic for dealing with the Overlord is reclaiming the various sources of power in the world and using their power to weaken the bad guy until they feel they're ready to take them down. On the side they get to help the various peoples of the world deal with the Overlord's influence and thus gain more allies.

On the player side, whichever playbook you choose you the player control all the lore about the people that playbook represents. So, the player of the Dwarf gets to determine what Dwarves are like in the setting, and if anyone around the table asks a question about the Dwarves then the Dwarf's player has final say about what is true.

On the GM's side, well, the GM is called the Overlord, and they not only are the referee but also play the Overlord as a character, with rules for how the Overlord advances their plans and extends their influence in the world.

It's a great game but some of its mechanics are significant departures from the traditional PbtA formula, so it requires a bit of getting used to.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

General Ironicus posted:

You can get someone who isn't a cyberpunk enthusiast to play Shadowrun or CP2020, easy. On the GM side, as an example, I really don't give a flying gently caress about cars like some people do, but I could run a Mad Max type game that focused on the car battles. But wrestling is very much sui generis when it comes to stuff like how matches are worked to tell a specific story, the backstage politics, and most of all, when the stories touch on the backstage concerns.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
The hosts of the I Don't Even Own a Television podcast had a point about wrestling in that while it's so easy to write-off wrestling as "it's all fake, it's all staged", once you get past all that, it's just like any other storytelling medium, and it can be drat good at what it does.

Like, we can have a plot of the underdog having to outsmart, outflank and outmaneuver their much bigger, much stronger opponent, with peaks and troughs in the fight as the protagonist suffers setbacks, comebacks, pulling out all the stops, and so on, and it's no less valid to see it play out in, say, Samurai Jack as it is in wrestling.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Wrestling is real as long as it's an Indie promotion or Japanese/Mexican

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Scumbag CM Punk: Gets owned by the UFC Glass Joe
Good Guy Antonio Inoki: Trolls Muhammad Ali

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
The idea of anything Antonio Inoki does as real beyond "get bank for Antonio Inoki" is the biggest laugh I've had all week.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
When you actually get yourself elected to Japan's National Diet and work international politics to promote the most widely attended wrestling show in world history in North Korea, it really blurs the line.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

The Democratic People's Republic's Elbow

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Halloween Jack posted:

When you actually get yourself elected to Japan's National Diet and work international politics to promote the most widely attended wrestling show in world history in North Korea, it really blurs the line.

Or possibly converting to Islam for the purpose of promoting wrestling. The man has more hustle by both definitions than anyone else alive, that's for sure.

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

Mr. Maltose posted:

The idea of anything Antonio Inoki does as real beyond "get bank for Antonio Inoki" is the biggest laugh I've had all week.

GreatAntonio.mp4 disagrees. I don't think looking it up at work would be a good idea, but.. If you know Inoki, you probably know which one I'm talking about.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe
Professional wrestling is live action anime

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."

Elfgames posted:

*loud booing sounds*

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Elfgames posted:

There's a lot of NJPW dudes on the new Tiger Mask and the original manga/anime inspired four different dudes to take that name.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Plutonis posted:

There's a lot of NJPW dudes on the new Tiger Mask and the original manga/anime inspired four different dudes to take that name.

Also Jushin Liger and a couple other wrestlers that were also anime inspired

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
Wrestling is pretty anime.

is there a thread people talk about Relic Knights in? I got to play some of the unreleased stuff and I really liked it, but I'm a sucker for any game that does the infinity thing with 1/3rd the special rules. But by god is cover drat near impossible to receive.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

2 dudes stand around and talk for what feels like forever before they tussle and then one guy hits the other with his finishing move and beats him and then that guy gets up and walks away talking about how he'll get the other guy next time.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Halloween Jack posted:

When you actually get yourself elected to Japan's National Diet
You can run as a pair of panties full of eels?

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Man I really want to play in a game, but I can't find a single goddamn game that's recruiting right now that is both in a system I'd want to play in and isn't loving PBP format(I still have no idea how anyone can enjoy that format)

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

drrockso20 posted:

(I still have no idea how anyone can enjoy that format)

It's basically bottom of the barrel gameplay when you don't have any other choice.

Shoot, I'd like to play a game over Telegram, but I don't know how to pitch that to people.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

drrockso20 posted:

Man I really want to play in a game, but I can't find a single goddamn game that's recruiting right now that is both in a system I'd want to play in and isn't loving PBP format(I still have no idea how anyone can enjoy that format)

That's a feel but there's livegames I want in but the time fucks me up.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."
Sengoku is a cool megagame about having a feudal clan in Japan. It's rad as gently caress.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird

gradenko_2000 posted:

Shoot, I'd like to play a game over Telegram, but I don't know how to pitch that to people.
Like, actual Morse-code style telegraphy?

That almost sounds like...a LARP? Like, embrace the medium and write like It's 1848 and the barricades have just come up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Rockopolis posted:

Like, actual Morse-code style telegraphy?

That almost sounds like...a LARP? Like, embrace the medium and write like It's 1848 and the barricades have just come up.

No as in the instant-messenging app.

• Locked thread