Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Some of us still don't care to learn Excel, so a spreadsheet sperg isn't always a terrible thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

tankfish posted:

For the Canadian goons is really true that ammo is so low in the Canadian armed forces that people make pew pew noises when shooting guns at targets?

No, we say "bang bang".

An instructor kicked me in the ribs for saying "pew pew".

:canada:

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
Hah I've had a few shop leads who've just made a poo poo ton of spreadsheets and trackers and rosters that were basically useless, but it kept him busy enough that we could run the mission without a ton of his tampering. He mostly existed to do the following:
:colbert: HEY you guys seen that email from the UTM about those trainings we need to do
:geno: Yes sergeant and we already did it.
:colbert: OK GOOD because I know it's not due for three months but we need to make sure we're taking initiative and knocking those out ASAP because if these things don't get done than people lean on leadership and they lean on ME and then I gotta lean on you so let's just avoid that, you trackin?
:geno: Roger like I said it's done
:colbert: great awesome I'll update the tracker keep up the good work

He also did daily hour and a half lunches and gave himself PT time almost every day. Thing is since he had no actual real work to do (since our crew didn't have any fuckups and knew how to take care of business) he had ample time to go to all the random meetings that was always going on and netted himself a lot of face time with the commander.

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

So when I watch Star Trek, the officers seem to get really drat gung-ho about slamming down their insignia and resigning their commission in the middle of a space-deployment. I get that the enlisted folk may not really be able to do that, but are officers in the various branches able to slap down their name-badge or whatever the gently caress and say "I'm resigning my commission effective immediately"?

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
Hahaha, gently caress no. You basically have to project when you can/want to get out and submit your packet in time. When your initial commitment is up no one asks "hey man do you want to stay in?" they just assume that you do.

OCS officers have the shortest commitment at 3.5 years, west pointers and ROTC officers can have 5 to almost a decade long commitments. OCS officers can't add to their commitment in order to get a requested branch or duty station the way the other two commissioning sources can.

I'm also pretty sure your brigade commander can deny your packet but I've never heard of that happening.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
Man if people could really do that, enlisted, officer, or otherwise, I think the military would probably hover at about 10% manning.

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.
When does my contract start? Say I'm a dumb 18 yr old with high ASVAB scores that never followed up with the recruiter. IIRC I give 4 years to the branch but not when that starts. First day of basic?

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

Nystral posted:

When does my contract start? Say I'm a dumb 18 yr old with high ASVAB scores that never followed up with the recruiter. IIRC I give 4 years to the branch but not when that starts. First day of basic?

your basic 8 yr contract (IRR time) that everyone signs begins the day you swear in. Your active duty time starts the day you ship to basic. Reserves also begins the day you swear in.

CHICKEN SHOES fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Feb 8, 2017

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.
I had an officer buddy whose resignation was refused and he got sent on a second deployment.

Any officer (or anyone) could theoretically say "I don't wanna" at any point and their career would be over and best case they'd get a stupid job in the rear, worst case go to jail.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.
Yeah I mean hypothetically at least if an officer decides that an order is unconstitutional/illegal and refuses to give it they are supposed to immediately tender their resignation along with that. That's a practice that has died off rather rapidly in the modern era however.

Arven
Sep 23, 2007
Playing games in Excel is something that gets brought up every now and then in various threads. I've worked in IT for almost 10 years and didn't know Excel games were a thing that existed until I read it here a couple years ago. What games did you guys play? I've googled it a few times and every game I've found seems worse than something I could play on my phone.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

Arven posted:

Playing games in Excel is something that gets brought up every now and then in various threads. I've worked in IT for almost 10 years and didn't know Excel games were a thing that existed until I read it here a couple years ago. What games did you guys play? I've googled it a few times and every game I've found seems worse than something I could play on my phone.

you're probably right that literally anything is better, so imagine the sheer existential boredom and self loathing that exists in your day to day life that a game in Microsoft excel becomes appealing. Yeah, it's bad.

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

Arven posted:

This might just be a fever dream masquerading as memory, but I'd swear there was a primitive but playable Excel homebrew Sonic the Hedgehog game back in maybe 2008. At the time I was new to the military and I still thought it was wrong to gently caress off on government time, so I never played it, but all the more experienced airmen were into it.

Mario, too, maybe.

They weren't legit games, of course, but they looked and played like the SNES/Sega versions.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
this is leaving me with a lot of complex emotions

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
To the US mil posters:

I've been lurking a lot here, and it's really incredible how much the US military lower ranks resemble a BDSM game focused mainly on cigarette butts and facial hair. Also, wasting money.

If you were the SecDef, or whoever has the real pull in these matters, what would you do to reform the military? Where would you start, and to what end( Making soldiers lives easier? Increase efficiency? Screw with people who deserve it)?

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
If I were SECDEF I'd do my god damned best to permanently end the DoD's disgorged gall bladder: The USMC.

I'd piss off every single one of those motard vets doing it but it would be a net positive for the DoD in the biggest of ways.

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

Buy some freaking medicine.

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

If I were SECDEF I'd do my god damned best to permanently end the DoD's disgorged gall bladder: The USMC.

I'd piss off every single one of those motard vets doing it but it would be a net positive for the DoD in the biggest of ways.

i'll bite: what's the story with the marines? why are they so retarded? why does the navy need an army and an air force? how much would getting rid of them un-gently caress things?

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
an officer can resign their commission whenever they choose. that being said, if you do it before your contract is up, the service will do everything they can to make that resignation painful and drawn out for you. potential jail time as well, if theres deployment or other things factored in

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Luceid posted:

i'll bite: what's the story with the marines? why are they so retarded? why does the navy need an army and an air force? how much would getting rid of them un-gently caress things?

The marines are redundant. Honestly the only reason they exist today is the american populace loves marines. There's no reason to have them in a modern context, because we do not need special soldiers that are used to sailing ships and boarding other ones to kill pirates and other country marines.

Similarly, the army air corps should just be a part of the army. There is no good reason for a separate air force either.

So eliminate the MC as a branch of service, roll the remaining people into either the army or the navy. Roll the AF entirely back into the army.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Mr. Nice! posted:

The marines are redundant. Honestly the only reason they exist today is the american populace loves marines. There's no reason to have them in a modern context, because we do not need special soldiers that are used to sailing ships and boarding other ones to kill pirates and other country marines.

Similarly, the army air corps should just be a part of the army. There is no good reason for a separate air force either.

So eliminate the MC as a branch of service, roll the remaining people into either the army or the navy. Roll the AF entirely back into the army.

Because it would help remove competition between branches?

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
:allears:

Lol. The Air Force isn't here to provide cas for the army. They're doing very different things at the operational and strategic level. All the branches are. That's kind of the point. And that's why we have this thing call "joint" (sure, it ain't perfect). All the branches are already consolidated- it's called the DoD. If we rolled them all into one big branch how would we be solving any problem?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Tias posted:

Because it would help remove competition between branches?

Its not about competition. It's excessive redundancy with massive overlap in jobs.

FastestGunAlive posted:

:allears:

Lol. The Air Force isn't here to provide cas for the army. They're doing very different things at the operational and strategic level. All the branches are. That's kind of the point. And that's why we have this thing call "joint" (sure, it ain't perfect). All the branches are already consolidated- it's called the DoD. If we rolled them all into one big branch how would we be solving any problem?

I'm not saying roll them into the army just to support the army - I'm saying that there is no good reason that the mission of the AF needs a separate branch with massively redundant parts. All of the personnel support, supply & logistics, etc that is duplicated between branches really isn't necessary. All of those different things would still be done in a consolidated force, but a fuckton of redundancies could be removed.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Disband the Marines. Roll the army under air Force control.

Increase asvab minimum to.... 80 at least.

The day starts at 8. PT is not mandatory and is actually an individual responsibility. If someone is at work after 5 they better have an actual mission or commanders get hammered.

If you can't pass job specific proficiency tests you get demoted or kicked out.

Officers don't direct commission except for medical, have to apply and compete with other enlisted.

Cleaning and yard work are performed by contractors.

Just because you had 4 battalions before doesn't mean you get 4 now. If you haven't got a real mission then it is time to reclass them or PCS.

Singing is out.

Saluting is out.

Parade rest and attention are for formations only.

Promotion boards are loving stupid and everything should be handled like a corporate promotion, with an oversight committee to make sure there's no conflicts of interests.

No dress uniforms.

poo poo I could go on all day.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Mr. Nice! posted:

Its not about competition. It's excessive redundancy with massive overlap in jobs.

Oh, okay. I actually heard some people make the argument that competition between the branches is healthy, but even a cursory examination of military history seems to poke holes in that( all the militaries in WW2 largely fell victim to this, as I understand it).

Very interesting stuff. Wouldn't singing, cleaning, yard work and other chores normally be considered a good tool for building discipline?

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Tias posted:

Very interesting stuff. Wouldn't singing, cleaning, yard work and other chores normally be considered a good tool for building discipline?

Hahahahahahaha is this for real? Hey, why don't you practice some discipline and go clean the side of the highway and then mow it once you have picked up the litter. Sing while you do it for a morale boost

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
What are the boards like? What's the "point" system for promotion?

Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

Dumb random military question: what's the stupidest thing you've had or heard of being stolen from the military?

For example, I used to live on a RAAF base about 24 years ago. One day dad came home from his day of making bombs or whatever gunnies do and starts talking to mum about the security breach that happened the previous night. Apparently some bloke managed to hop the fence, avoid the guards, break into the armoury, get into the secure ordnance bays or whatever they had and then got out again with a very dangerous load of fake dynamite the gunnies used for training the bomb disposal guys. Of all the actual explosives that were kept in there, this dickhead manages to steal the training aids. They never caught the guy, to my knowledge, and boy did the gate guards act professional for a few weeks after that.

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.
How does a civvy get access to the DISA STIGs? I'm not looking for a gold disk download but I really liked the guides themselves. Look away for a decade or so and now I can't seem to find them or I am a loving retard. I'm a retard

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

Enlisted advancement varies from branch to branch. In the navy, E1-E3 is automatic based on time in service. E4-E6 is determined solely by a Final Multiple Score (FMS) after a biannual advancement exam. The 200 question multiple choice exam covers specific job knowledge and general navy/leadership questions. This is combined with award points, points for time in service, points for time in the current paygrade, a number calculated with your evaluation performance marks average (PMA), and points for any time you passed the exam but were not advanced.

Every job in the navy has a quota for how many people advance to the next paygrade. Based on that quota, they set a FMS so that X amount of sailors needed in a particular job will advance. The most important part of the FMS is your PMA, so your evaluations can carry through advancement pretty easily. The highest eval mark, Early Promote (EP) can also allow people to take advancement exams a cycle or two early and advance faster.

E7 advancement is two part. You have a similar FMS with a slightly different calculation and a different test than before, but instead of just advancing when you pass the line you then submit a package to the chief's board. They still have the quota of how many people are going to pin on E7, but an actual group of senior enlisted people review each package and make a yes/no determination. E8&E9 advancement is all done via these boards. They aren't boards you appear in front of, though. You just submit your package containing the requisite info to them and wait.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

Points are based on military classes you've completed, certifications held, awards you've received, your PT score, and other qualifications. Boards are like this:
https://youtu.be/f2rgzsO-AMM

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

And how well you can knock on the door.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug

Nostalgia4Murder posted:

And how well you can knock on the door.

What's the accepted door knocking protocol? Do you need to knock out the beat to your branch's song?

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
The knock on the door is both a display of physical prowess and an expression of alpha male-ness. After knocking on the door, the Soldier performs an elaborate dance routine and flashes his feathers for the president of the board.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
What's the scale? 1 being limp wrist and 10 being "it's the cops"

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

What's the accepted door knocking protocol? Do you need to knock out the beat to your branch's song?

We would have boards in the navy that were for qualifications or special awards (Sailor of the year type things). Knock loudly three times. When told to enter, march directly to a spot in front of whoever was chairing the board, do a facing movement, announce yourself, and get ready to get a bunch of questions (many that have nothing to do with the board) while sometimes being told to do facing movements and such. Answers should be said loudly and confidently even if wrong. Confidence to hide you don't know what you're talking about is seen as an asset more often than detrimental.

I've also had enlisted boards where I was just told to sit down and then grilled in a more conversational manner.

Officer qualification boards are very rigorous, but lack a lot of the major formalities like beating on the door and yelling your arrival. Usually those it's "come in Mr. Nice. Have a seat there. This is your OOD/SWO/EOOW/TAO board. On these you are expected to provide snacks for the board. I always brought fiji water and a variety of trail mix type things and chocolates.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!

Glenn Quebec posted:

From 1 to 10, 1 being a limp wrist and 10 being the door blown off the hinges.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Glenn Quebec posted:

If you don't beat on that door like it owes you money you've basically already failed. The number one thing you can do at any enlisted in person board to impress the senior enlisted at the top is to walk in like you loving own the place.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
I just kicked the door with my heel lol. It was loud and ridiculous as gently caress but I passed all my boards so

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

I just kicked the door with my heel lol. It was loud and ridiculous as gently caress but I passed all my boards so

Lmao like back facing the door mule kick style?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
The truth of the matter is most people on the other side of the board are idiots and are in the military because it's redneck welfare. They have all lost most of their hearing and need people to shout at them in order to understand them. Most of them are so far removed from the things they're asking questions about that a loud and confident enough reply will just get them to assume you're right. Boardsmanship is just as important to succeeding as actually knowing the requisite information.

• Locked thread