Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Looking at upcoming release dates and I can't help but think that, if nothing else, Guerilla Games have severely shot themselves in the foot with their choice of release date for Horizon: Zero Dawn. Two days before a brand-new Nintendo console, nevermind one of the most-wanted games of the last 4-5 years (Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild), is not a good place for any new release to be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

One of Catwoman's gadgets in Arkham City were caltrops. They made the thugs looks at their feet like they stepped in gum and then fall over.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Looking at upcoming release dates and I can't help but think that, if nothing else, Guerilla Games have severely shot themselves in the foot with their choice of release date for Horizon: Zero Dawn. Two days before a brand-new Nintendo console, nevermind one of the most-wanted games of the last 4-5 years (Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild), is not a good place for any new release to be.
In their defense Nintendo announced the release date for the Switch really suddenly.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Horizon Zero Dawn is looking like a dud anyway so I doubt the scheduling could hurt it much worse.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Samurai Sanders posted:

Nioh has caltrops. Every game should have caltrops but I can only off the top of my head think of this and the original Shadow Warrior.

La Mulana has caltrops and they're essential for speed runs of that.

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Team fortress classic man i miss those caltrops.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Oxxidation posted:

Horizon Zero Dawn is looking like a dud anyway so I doubt the scheduling could hurt it much worse.

I'm still hoping the gameplay itself manages to sell the experience, I've been pretty amped for this title since it was first debuted.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I don't think they're that worried about their ps4 exclusive competing with the wii u/switch exclusive tbh

yea there'll be some people that don't get horizen specifically because they bought a switch, but I can't imagine it's gonna cut into their sales that much

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Fuckin Fallout 4 had caltrops (in the dlc).

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Oxxidation posted:

How so? I think it looks great.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

there was a video of some side quest thing where you're talking to a guy and people in this thread got really negative about the game over it

someone else probably still has the link and can share it if you haven't seen it yet

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Manatee Cannon posted:

there was a video of some side quest thing where you're talking to a guy and people in this thread got really negative about the game over it

someone else probably still has the link and can share it if you haven't seen it yet

Part of the reason we all got so negative over it, lovely animation and dialogue aside, is the kind of thought process that leads to those design decisions tend to permeate throughout the entire thing. If this is what we're seeing in just a sidequest scene, what kind of crap have they pulled in the rest of the game?

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Part of the reason we all got so negative over it, lovely animation and dialogue aside, is the kind of thought process that leads to those design decisions tend to permeate throughout the entire thing. If this is what we're seeing in just a sidequest scene, what kind of crap have they pulled in the rest of the game?

That's what made H:ZD go from "day 1 purchase" to "eh...let's wait for reviews" for me.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

I think I remember that clip, actually. I'm honestly not sure where that clip came from, though, because none of the other dialogue scenes you can find look even close to that bad. They look better than Fallout 4 and Mass Effect, at least.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

hzd is looking structurally like a very safe game with a design doc made up of the elements of modern gaming that sell to broad audiences.

but then on top of that they put an awesome combat engine and reports say it has superb play control so 9/10 good job on your next mega hit franchise sony

Liver Disaster
Mar 31, 2012

no more tears

Crows Turn Off posted:

I think I remember that clip, actually. I'm honestly not sure where that clip came from, though, because none of the other dialogue scenes you can find look even close to that bad. They look better than Fallout 4 and Mass Effect, at least.

I regularly play through the mass effect series and for its flaws ME does cutscenes better than that h:zd scene by far.
Unless you're going off of intentionally broken scenes on youtube I guess?

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Apparently the new ME is aping Fallout 4's dialogue system?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

HGH posted:

Mass Effect already used that system though?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

HGH posted:

Bethesda and Bioware have both fallen from grace so much imo. They used to make great games but both have just gotten so loving lazy.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Imagine how much better both would be if it wasn't required that everything be 100% fully voice acted.

FishBulb posted:

Brink had caltrops

Remember Brink?!?

The greatest game industry lmao moment ever is still when the guy who made Medal of Honor/Call of Duty left Activision in a huff and was going to make HIS game HIS way dammit none of this iterative sci-fi FPS bullshit gently caress YOU Activision I'm working with EA again and gonna make a real breakthrough and at the same time the guy who made Halo left Microsoft in a huff and held that press conference in a huff like all no more of this iterative sci-fi FPS bullshit gently caress YOU Microsoft I'm gonna make MY game MY way and it's gonna be real breakthrough I'm working with Activision now.

And so we got Titanfall and Destiny, two lovely sci-fi FPS that are structured like Brink. :laffo:

Fortunately Titanfall 2 is pretty awesome, and I haven't played Destiny in a long time but supposedly if you were to get it now with all its expansions and stuff it's actually good. Also in case anyone forgot now you can't un-see that the Destiny logo is an athletic supporter again.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

HGH posted:

I hear it'll be aping KOTOR's equipment system too. Those Bioware devs just doing everything wrong.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

FishBulb posted:

Brink had caltrops

Remember Brink?!?

Man, Brink was one of the only games that I got truly burned on. I wanted it to be good so bad :(

Team Fortress Classic had caltrops.

TFC 4 eva

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

bloodychill posted:

I hear it'll be aping KOTOR's equipment system too. Those Bioware devs just doing everything wrong.

I don't remember KotOR's equipment system being anything more than a generic equip stuff with the highest numbers RPG one.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Samurai Sanders posted:

Nioh has caltrops. Every game should have caltrops but I can only off the top of my head think of this and the original Shadow Warrior.

Hey, La-Mulana has them and they're ludicrously powerful and super speedrun tools

Edit:

Sakurazuka posted:

La Mulana has caltrops and they're essential for speed runs of that.

:argh:

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

FishBulb posted:

Brink had caltrops

Remember Brink?!?

Yes. Sooooooo much potential. :sigh:

I really wish they would update and ACTUALLY PLAYTEST THIS TIME and re-release that game. The world, the parkour system... so... good.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

Mass Effect already used that system though?
Did it? What I read mostly focused on dropping Paragon/Renegade for a four choice system. I guess it did in a way give your 3 options and a couple extra sometimes.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
For some reason I have a hankering to play the Xbox 360 FPS shadowrun game... Don't know why

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Design documentation has nothing to do with the weirdness of the facial animations or the direction of the voices. That video was loving weird, I won't defend it, but somehow extrapolating that because 3 minutes of bad facial animations the game is going to have absolutely terrible everything else is a stretch I haven't seen since fanboy wailing during console launches. Of all the footage I've seen the facial animations do reach into uncanny valley and look off, but nothing was as bad as that one clip and everything else looked fairly solid. It's weird since I don't remember the facial animations in Killzone being that bad.

There's been a lot of positive buzz around the open world gameplay despite there being similar elements to most Ubisoft games.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Captain Yossarian posted:

For some reason I have a hankering to play the Xbox 360 FPS shadowrun game... Don't know why

One of the only cross platform games ever from what I remember. I think all the PC players destroyed the XBOX dudes.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

There was also an RTS, the name of which I've forgotten, the way they balanced it was to restrict how far out you could pull the camera on PC. :effort:
Universe at War? Something like that.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

HGH posted:

Did it? What I read mostly focused on dropping Paragon/Renegade for a four choice system. I guess it did in a way give your 3 options and a couple extra sometimes.

fallout 4 absolutely ripped its dialogue system straight out of mass effect, yes

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

when are voice fonts gonna happen so devs who are too afraid of unvoiced dialog can afford to put more than 4 hollow options in every conversation

Liver Disaster
Mar 31, 2012

no more tears

Jimbot posted:

open world gameplay

There is so much of this around that you don't have to eat the scraps no matter how marketed they are.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Real hurthling! posted:

when are voice fonts gonna happen so devs who are too afraid of unvoiced dialog can afford to put more than 4 hollow options in every conversation

Whenever we get an open world sandbox RPG with crafting elements that stars Vocaloids

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Prop Wash posted:

Whenever we get an open world sandbox RPG with crafting elements that stars Vocaloids

skyrim mod for this came out years ago id bet

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Liver Disaster posted:

I regularly play through the mass effect series and for its flaws ME does cutscenes better than that h:zd scene by far
I don't think that scene is an accurate representation, based off plenty of other videos showing dialogue interactions. The other clips look much better. I'm actually having trouble finding this clip - anyone got a link?

And I've played thru the ME series multiple times.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Sakurazuka posted:

My solution was to not have any adult responsibilities

:same: but it takes me approx 2+ weeks to clear a single game even if I played non-stop hence I'm still playing FFXV and ToB. Also some games are much shorter than JRPGS so I imagine you can beat it in 20 hrs if you skipped side quests.

I mean, side quests don't add anything special unless it's DA where I can date NPCs.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Neo Rasa posted:

Imagine how much better both would be if it wasn't required that everything be 100% fully voice acted.

The greatest game industry lmao moment ever is still when the guy who made Medal of Honor/Call of Duty left Activision in a huff and was going to make HIS game HIS way dammit none of this iterative sci-fi FPS bullshit gently caress YOU Activision I'm working with EA again and gonna make a real breakthrough and at the same time the guy who made Halo left Microsoft in a huff and held that press conference in a huff like all no more of this iterative sci-fi FPS bullshit gently caress YOU Microsoft I'm gonna make MY game MY way and it's gonna be real breakthrough I'm working with Activision now.

And so we got Titanfall and Destiny, two lovely sci-fi FPS that are structured like Brink. :laffo:

Fortunately Titanfall 2 is pretty awesome, and I haven't played Destiny in a long time but supposedly if you were to get it now with all its expansions and stuff it's actually good. Also in case anyone forgot now you can't un-see that the Destiny logo is an athletic supporter again.

Ok

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Captain Yossarian posted:

Shadowrun 360 was honestly a very good game. It was basically Counter-strike with magic, very well balanced and fun to play. I think it got a bad rap because it was basically an MP online only game for $60 with 10 maps that came out in 2007. Honestly though, it was the type of game where you didn't mind playing on the same 10 maps because rounds played out differently every time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

destiny sold a million jillion copies and titanfall 2 is the best mp fps i've played since like ut2004 so they probably did ok