Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Mashiro Top, Salyu High, Natsuhiko and Yuuri Middle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Everyone top to celebrate the dog getting a happy ending.

asymmetrical
Jan 29, 2009

the absence or violation of symmetry
I really don't think that Parapsychology Center guard's story was that off base as the story was making it out to be.

Also, of course Salyu can hack a security camera with her magical girl animal sidekick. Someone deep in the police force's headquarters is analyzing security footage and going, "Zoom. Enhance."

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

asymmetrical posted:

Also, of course Salyu can hack a security camera with her magical girl animal sidekick. Someone deep in the police force's headquarters is analyzing security footage and going, "Zoom. Enhance."

And cursing as he notices that Salyu has the prototype W.E.A.S.E.L.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
lol wow Natsuhiko & co have made some hilariously bad decisions. I mean, it makes sense. They're kids with more good intentions than sense. but still, I don't see the actual evidence of a dark conspiracy as much as that they're naive kids that don't realize that they're in a comfortable concentration camp.

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Festival with your real* little sister!

Spatula City posted:

lol wow Natsuhiko & co have made some hilariously bad decisions. I mean, it makes sense. They're kids with more good intentions than sense. but still, I don't see the actual evidence of a dark conspiracy as much as that they're naive kids that don't realize that they're in a comfortable concentration camp.

Was... was that a pun?

Anyway since we've no more bad ends, put Mashiro to the top and everyone else High so we get her last friendship scene.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
A goddamn panopticon, yeah. And yet, somehow, this disaster still happens. It makes you wonder if it was planned.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Glazius posted:

A goddamn panopticon, yeah. And yet, somehow, this disaster still happens. It makes you wonder if it was planned.

By terrorists, the government or LABO? It's pretty much certainly planned by someone, somewhere.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Glazius posted:

'Begin Terrorist Test A2, we'll use the High School as the control group.'
'Sir some students are mucking about the LABO facility!'
'Apprehend them! We cannot allow them to ruin the test!'

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

Glazius posted:

I've considered that, but I think the better answer is that all the security in the city is meant to watch and keep the Communicators in, not keep terrorists out. So it's ill equipped to deal with a couple of clever maniacs infiltrating the city. I also think the authorities are lying pretty aggressively to the residents about how much the world actually tolerates Communicators (that is to say, it's less like people are wary, and more like the way US conservatives feel right now about Muslims). Whatever's going on in the so-called reactor probably relates to the Japanese government's true intent in protecting Communicators - using them as weapons.

this half of the story seems to do a good job at establishing how little Natsuhiko and Mashiro know about the place they live and the situation they're in, until poo poo suddenly starts to get real.

OddHaberdasher
Jan 21, 2016

Logicblade posted:

put Mashiro to the top and everyone else High so we get her last friendship scene.

I agree with this.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Alright, calling the vote now. Results are:

Mashiro: 8
Salyu: 7
Natsuhiko / Yuuri: 6

EDIT: Footage status: Recorded. Rendering status: In progress. Update-today-status: Maybe.

TheMcD fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Feb 6, 2017

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

NATSUHIKO TENKAWA'S DETERMINATION: 09/15/2030, 07:09

Oh hey, look who remembered that he used to put vote results into the updates.

code:
Natsuhiko:

Top =     II
High =    II
Middle =  I
Low =     
Bottom =  

Result: ((2*8)+(2*6)+(1*4)+(0*2)+(0*0))/5 = 6.4 = 6

Yuuri:

Top =     II
High =    II
Middle =  I
Low =     
Bottom =  

Result: ((2*8)+(2*6)+(1*4)+(0*2)+(0*0))/5 = 6.4 = 6

Mashiro:

Top =     IIIII
High =    
Middle =  
Low =     
Bottom =  

Result: ((5*8)+(0*6)+(0*4)+(0*2)+(0*0))/5 = 8 = 8

Salyu:

Top =     II
High =    III
Middle =  
Low =     
Bottom =  

Result: ((2*8)+(3*6)+(0*4)+(0*2)+(0*0))/5 = 6.8 = 7
Anyway, on to the update.

Natsuhiko woke up. His vision and consciousness were still blurry.

(Huh, where am I...?)

A blue branch with Mashiro at 8.

(That's right. Last night I called Yuuri on the phone and then I returned to the karaoke box... Guess I passed out from exhaustion right after that...)

God damnit, guys. Don't have the Senses input come up over the title card.

After a moment, his thoughts managed to clear themselves again.

(How are the other two...?)

♪ BGM: Words of Healing

!

--only to find her face right beside him.

(She's too close! And she looks way too defenseless!)

He only barely kept himself from shouting in surprise. Just afterward, Mashiro opened her eyes ever so slightly--

!?

Her eyes were fixing on Natsuhiko in an enraptured gaze.

The sight of her awakening was so enthralling, it left him speechless. It was a side of his childhood friend that he had never seen before. But after only a moment had passed--

--she returned to the usual Mashiro.

Ah, I-I'm sorry!

Natsuhiko jumped away reflexively-- --and suddenly felt himself step on something soft.

♪ BGM: Foolishness

Ah...

Looking down, he found Salyu sleeping on the floor. He had accidentally stepped on her. She seemed to be sleeping peacefully, but--

--not a moment later, Salyu grabbed his foot,

Shah!!

Uwaaah!

Natsuhiko's world turned upside down as he toppled onto the floor.

Ow ow ow...
Ah... Natsuhiko.

As part of her reactive throwing motion, Salyu had risen to her feet. She appeared to have come back to her senses as she lent him her hand.

I'm sorry. I thought you were going to attack me in my sleep, so I unleashed a 'Sannomiya Screw' leg whip on you by reflex.
A Sannomiya Screw...?

Natsuhiko groaned as he got up. His knees and back ached.

(So she can use more than just aikido...?)

That was not an aikido technique no matter how he looked at it. Mashiro rubbed her half-asleep eyes as she asked about it too.

Is that a Salyu-original special move?
Yes. It's a technique from the composite system of martial arts I created by mixing several styles of hand-to-hand combat-- 'Sannomiya Style Savate'.

Tips posted:

TIP: Sannomiya Style Savate
Category: Fiction

A composite system of martial arts created by Salyu by mixing several styles of hand-to-hand combat.

Savate is an art of self-defense spread by French gentlemen in the Bourbon dynasty, and is also known as French kickboxing. Savate is based on the theory of controlling the distance to one's opponent with footwork and quickly closing in on them for a K.O.

However, Sannomiya Style Savate includes moves that seem to only exist to appeal to some mysterious third party rather than for any effective use against an opponent. Such moves include the Sannomiya Screw, a leg-wrapping throw; the Sannomiya Sleeper, a hold that applies pressure to a sitting opponent's carotid artery from behind; the Sannomiya Rocket, a death-defying Mexican lucha libre diving move; and the Sannomiya Suplex, where you hook the opponent's arms back from behind and bridge backwards, drawing a beautiful arc in the air with your opponent as you strike them into the ground.

Perhaps it is a martial arts style more suited for acting out a dramatic plot rather than simply subduing an opponent.

Other techniques include the 'Sannomiya Sleeper', the 'Sannomiya Rocket', and the 'Sannomiya Suplex'.
...I see.
Those don't sound like savate techniques to me. And I get the feeling I've heard those names somewhere before.

♪ BGM: Languid Hours of Rokumei City

Forget about the techniques. What time is it?

Natsuhiko checked his watch.

Umm... 7:12 AM, I guess?

It was relatively early for a Sunday morning. But they had business to take care of today. Natsuhiko took a deep breath before speaking.

Now then... today we'll begin a full-blown search for the terrorists.
Awrighty, I'm ready to go when you are!
We shouldn't overstay our visit here. We should set our sights and move.
Okay, so let's think then. What exactly is it that we should do?
That should be obvious. Our end goal is 'to stop the terrorist plot'. And to do that, we should 'clear our names with the security department' if possible. To clear our names with the security department, I believe we need to find that security guard and make him admit to falsifying his report.
I see, that does sound logical...

After Natsuhiko nodded in consent, Mashiro was next to speak.

Ah, I've got a suggestion too!
What's up, Mashiro?
While we work on that front, shouldn't we also search for the man who was on the bus? I said it before, but even though he was concealing his face with sunglasses, I think I'll know him when I see him. If we happen to find him, we just need to tie him up real quick and hand him over to the police.
Hmm, that sounds easier said than done, though...
Besides, if he's a terrorist, it's only natural that he'd have comrades. I don't think the arrest of one man will prevent a terrorist attack.
But it would stop the security department from suspecting us and it'd force the police to start searching too, wouldn't it?
I see. That indeed does have merit to it.
I know, right?

Natsuhiko more or less agreed with that opinion, but--

...But don't you think we'd be banking too much on a coincidence to happen? Wouldn't it be important to gain some adult cooperation first?
Huh? But the security department's already suspicious of us.
No, that's exactly why we need help from an adult. An adult we can trust. They might be able to help talk us out of the misunderstanding with the security department, and we could rely on them when the going gets tough.

It would've been a different story if Natsuhiko were the only one at risk for danger, but he wanted to ensure Mashiro and Salyu were as safe as possible.

There are two adults I have in mind. The first is Mr. Ukita. The second is Prof. Tsubakiyama.
Yeah, those two do seem like they'd hear us out, don't they?
It's difficult for me to judge who to trust...
Actually... I think Mashiro should be the judge of who we can trust or not.
Huh? Me? Why?

Natsuhiko meekly responded to Mashiro's puzzled glance.

You can use empathy, can't you, Mashiro?
... Yeah.

A blue branch with Natsuhiko at 6 and Mashiro at 8.

So if there's anybody who acts or looks suspicious, can't you just check to see if you can use empathy on them?
Huh...? But that's...!

Mashiro's expression clouded over. She was probably reluctant to peek into other people's minds.

When Mashiro first became able to use empathy and she tried peeking into someone's mind to make sure-- --perhaps it left her with a bad experience. From an objective viewpoint, Mashiro had quite attractive looks, and she was even popular among the boys at school. There must've been at least a few men who harbored a certain kind of lust for her as well.

(... If she came face to face with the bare monstrosity of a man's mind, then it's only natural it'd leave a bad memory. That could be why she prohibited herself from peeking into other people's minds...)

Natsuhiko realized how unreasonable he was being with his request.

...No, I'm sorry. We really shouldn't, Mashiro.
Huh?
I really shouldn't force you do something against your morals...
N-not at all! It's okay! I'm the one who suggested this whole thing, after all. If an absolute need arises, I can act against my moral code if I have to.

That answer only made Natsuhiko feel more guilty.

I'm sorry, Mashiro...
It's fine. it's fine. We're in a state of emergency, after all. Now that I have this ability, I may as well put it to good use for once.

Mashiro spoke in a bright voice. Even if it were mere bravado, it provided relief to Natsuhiko and Salyu.

Okay, looks like we've made up our minds on what to do, then...!
Yeah. 'Clear our names with the security department.' 'Search for terrorists.' 'Acquire adult cooperation.'
All while avoiding surveillance cameras and the security department, too...!
And yet we've still gotta do it. It's not easy being an ally of justice, huh. Ready guys? I'm ready when you are.
Yeah. Those are some stiff conditions to meet, but let's give it a go.
...Let's all work hard together.

The three of them nodded at each other and Natsuhiko spoke.

All right! Then let's get to work on the double!
Yeah!
Roger.

And with that, the three of them exchanged firm handshakes.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

POLICEMEN'S JOB: 09/15/2030, 07:47

♪ BGM: Anxious Times of Rokumei City

Wait.

--Salyu held back Natsuhiko and Mashiro from walking any further.

What's wrong?
There are police officers there.

They looked, and sure enough there were two officers standing at the corner.

What about them? The police aren't our enemy, are they?
We should still keep our guard up. Let's wait and listen to their conversation.
R-right...

As Salyu suggested, they hid by the entrance and strained their ears. Upon which, Natsuhiko heard the officers' conversation.

Officer 1: --Man, don't you think we've been patrolling here a little too much? Is there really any meaning in all this pacing around?

The younger officer grumbled. The older officer replied.

Officer 2: Of course there is. Our patrolling is a crime deterrent in and of itself.
Officer 1: But it's a little hard to believe there are terrorists in such a peaceful town like this just because we're told so.
Officer 2: But even the municipal office has received a threat letter. We must remain vigilant. The city's major BC-related facilities are stretching us and the security department thin... but you can never be too careful.

Mashiro whispered as they listened in on the conversation.

I'm sure those threat letters were a diversion too.
...The whole town's on edge because of Q.
It's like we're under martial law...
But at least for now, it looks like the police aren't following us. And since the police and security department are busy with other cases, that should mean they've slackened their pursuit of us at least a little.
I see, that's good to hear...

The kids waited for the officers to leave before heading out into the street.

Now then... where should we go first? The PRC?
No, that's too far. Let's go somewhere nearby first.
Like where?
Our neighbor's house. Mr. Ukita's to be exact.

And thus they walked towards Ukita's house.

But they needed to avoid any street surveillance cameras. So the thirty minute distance took over an hour to clear.

Mashiro took a deep breath, finally relieved from all the tension of having to avoid notice.

Now, how's Mr. Ukita...?

Natsuhiko pressed the doorbell as he spoke. However-- There was no response no matter how many times he pressed the button.

Huh...? Looks like he's not at home.
Where would he be so early in the morning?
Work, I guess.

Ukita was a LABO researcher. He may have been too busy at work to have gone home last night.

Looks like a swing and a miss right off the bat, huh.
Nothing we can do about it, so let's move on to--

An angry shout interrupted Mashiro.

Natsuhiko!
!?

It was a face they hadn't seen in days: Natsuhiko's mother-- Dr. Miyoko Tenkawa.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
All this talk about needing to have your heart open for empathy reminds me that at one point in LABO, Watase overheard Salyu telling Ena her heart was closed :tinfoil:

EDIT VV: :cripes: Right, totally forgot about that stuff

Danaru fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Feb 7, 2017

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

It's cause of AD. It's used to prevent psychic powers from affecting people, apparently.

Also hey mom. Don't suppose you're gonna do something besides being angry and cryptic?

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Danaru posted:

All this talk about needing to have your heart open for empathy reminds me that at one point in LABO, Watase overheard Salyu telling Ena her heart was closed :tinfoil:

EDIT VV: :cripes: Right, totally forgot about that stuff

SSNeoman posted:

It's cause of AD. It's used to prevent psychic powers from affecting people, apparently.

Consider: If it was because of AD, why would Ena admit to keeping her heart closed, saying "I admit that I've been keeping my heart closed, yes. That said, I don't have a choice in the matter. However, I'm on your side. Can't you trust me on that?"? Also, Salyu says "I didn't expect to see you here after you paid no heed to the information we gave you yesterday". There's something more here.

It's hard to look things up again if you don't remember the chapter, but it's very helpful, because useful information can often be gleaned from single lines that one wouldn't remember.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

MIYOKO TENKAWA'S EMOTIONS: 09/15/2030, 08:51

♪ BGM: LABO Security Lv. 2

The professor briskly walked towards them as Natsuhiko silently cursed this unexpected turn of events.

I got a call from the security department last night. They say you injured a security guard at the PRC?
Oh, I see how it is... So you came back just for that?
Of course I did! Never in my dreams did I expect my own son would do something like that! Yui, you were with him. What were you thinking!?
...I-I'm sorry.
You too, Mashiro! They said you were with them too!?
I-I'm sorry, but...

Natsuhiko glared back at the professor as she scolded them.

Hold on a second, Mom. They have nothing to do with this, do they!? No, in fact YOU don't have anything to do with this, Mom. This is our probl--
I don't have anything to do with this!? Of course I do! I had to be dragged out of my busy work schedule...

The professor sighed deeply.

...Please, just don't add to my problems needlessly. I'm busier than I've ever been with my current work.
...!

Something snapped inside Natsuhiko. The professor's son and his friends were being pursued on the pretext of a false charge and yet she wouldn't listen to any of it. And to top it all off, she was still trying to focus on work.

...Okay, Mom. Sorry for being a pest. Just go back to LABO and work already.
How can you expect me to just do that?
How? It's easy. You keep talking about work this and work that. If work's so important to you, then just go already.

He felt something murmuring in his heart as he spoke. He knew he sounded like a spoiled child, but he couldn't stop the words from leaving his lips.

They're pursuing us based on a false charge. We were partly at fault, but that security guard lied in his report.
Huh?
And we're not even doing anything wrong. We're just searching for the terrorists in town.
Terrorists...? What are you talking about!?
There's a very likely possibility they're here. So we're doing what we can to stop them--
You kids? Stop terrorists!? Don't be foolish!

The professor raised her voice sharply.

Listen to me! Stop spouting nonsense and just stay inside like I'm telling you to!
No, this is my own decision! I can't just back down and listen to you!
Is there something I'm not giving you enough of!? I've provided you with a carefree life, haven't I!?
Well yeah, you have been providing for us financially, but that doesn't give you the right to criticize every action I take! How do you expect me to listen to everything you say when you're never around to say it!?
!

The professor's face froze over at those words.

N-Natsuhiko, stop it!
You've said too much...

Mashiro and Salyu frantically cut in. But that was something Natsuhiko had always wanted to tell his mother. He couldn't stop the words he had been holding back all this time.

You took custody of Yuuri after her parents died, right? I thought that was very noble of you. But can you look me in the eye and say you've become a new mother for her?
...!
I know it's too late for me to say this now, but you've always been too preoccupied with work to even care about what happened at home, haven't you?
That's...
Do you realize how lonely Yuuri and I were, growing up in a house without parents to welcome home at night? Do you know what it felt like, watching over Yuuri as she struggled with her emotional trauma!?
Of course, Yuuri's completely innocent here. I'm grateful for how you managed to support the family as a single mother. I truly am. That's why I never said anything. But this. This is the last--

!?

It was the frail slap of his mother's palm against his cheek.

...You hit me. That's a first. Guess you had to start acting like a parent somewhere... huh!?

Natsuhiko made it that far before gasping.

...It was all for you... I'm trying my hardest just for you...!
Huh...!?
Natsuhiko, you made the professor cry. How cruel.
Ah, you should apologize...

Bitter regret filled his heart as the girls admonished him. But what felt stronger than his regret was his confusion.

(It was all for ME!? I never asked for this! So why... Why are you crying!? What's with that timing!?)

He couldn't understand his mother's feelings. Dr. Tenkawa continued in a low voice.

Natsuhiko, I'm begging you, please listen to me for now... I need to go back to LABO right away... but we can talk as much as we want afterwards.
For now...? What do you mean, Mom? Is there something you want to tell me!?
...No.
Does it have anything to do with what's going on now!?
Not at all. Though I do think one day the time will come when we can talk about it...

The professor spoke insinuative words. Natsuhiko wanted to know what was on her mind. He wanted to know from the bottom of his heart, for the very first time.

(Mom... what are you trying to say!?)

As that thought crossed his mind--

♪ BGM: Silence ♫

His vision blurred. His hearing diminished.

♪ BGM: Extra-Sensory Perception

And instead-- Voices echoed in Natsuhiko's ''brain''.

{But until all the work is complete, it'd be best if I avoided him...}
!!

Natsuhiko was shocked. The sensation was quite similar to receiving telepathy. But not entirely. He heard a voice directly echoing in his head, but-- Natsuhiko had heard Dr. Tenkawa's mental voice!

(This is empathy!?)

--Natsuhiko!

He snapped back when he heard Mashiro's voice up against his ear.

!!? Wh-what happened!?
Someone's coming this way!
!

♪ BGM: Looming Crisis

He turned around in shock to see two men running their direction from the other side of the street. They were the security department members who were standing in front of Mashiro's house yesterday.

(Dammit, did they see us already!?)

He was concerned about the meaning of his mother's tears and if he had just used empathy. But--

--Let's get out of here!

--Natsuhiko quickly shouted that command. And with just a moment of hesitation, Mashiro and Salyu nodded.

I'm sorry, Professor! We have to go now!
Professor, I'll protect Natsuhiko! No need for concern!

And with that, the three of them ran away. Leaving behind Dr. Tenkawa, hanging her head in shame...

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

gently caress yeah go Natsuhiko. gently caress your absentee parent "I did it all for you...!" martyrdom.

God shut up Mashiro. Natsuhiko laid everything out about this and the best you can do is "you hurt her feewings..." you're the worst loving friend.

GeneralYeti
Jul 22, 2012

Look at this smug broken asshole.
Yeah, no, I'm on Natsuhiko's side for this one, game.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I'm still going with my old "Real Natsuhiko in the psychic reactor, our Natsuhiko is a clone" theory :colbert:

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Natsuhiko Did Nothing Wrong: The route.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Yeah just wait until the game tries to Kojima us. "Oh no the absentee mother was actually busy saving the world from a BC nuke, don't you feel like an rear end in a top hat now??"
It's jp vn so I expect filial loyalty to be strong here, and if only Natsuhiko had empathy and perspective he would understand that shouganai

It's the worst thing. This bullshit "I gave you money respect and love me beep boop" is just an excuse people use to be bad parents.

quote:

And she even realizes this! She knows she's in the wrong and she said that poo poo anyway!

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen
My sole reaction to all the reactions in this thread will likely forever be :allears:.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

That was hard to watch. :smith:

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
If BC is made of particles, what if Natsuhiko is just a being comprised entirely of BC :tinfoil: Yuuri's a time ghost, Natsuhiko's a BC Golem, Mashiro's an anime fan, Salyu's... I dunno a cyborg or something.

Also rudeboy terrorist on the bus was probably Watase pre-psydunk, because gently caress that guy

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
gently caress filial piety forever. :argh:

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

Yeah, Natsuhiko's mother is just straight up an rear end in a top hat, and he's entirely in the right here. Almost nothing can really justify her basically adopting another kid, and then not having any time at all for either her bio kid or the adoptee. I say almost because I expect some crazy nonsense from this VN will try valiantly to justify it.
but really, emotionally healthy parents that have demanding jobs and care about their children make a drat effort to see them as much as possible, and when they see them, they try to show that they care.
Her whole thinking "oh my god he hates me" is kinda telling, too. It's self-pity, not an actually productive reaction that processes and responds to anything he said. If all she gets out of that is "he must hate me", she's too wrapped up in her own poo poo to treat her son with the respect he deserves.

Also, his mother isn't telling him something she probably should have told him, it seems obvious to say. Because she might love her son, but she doesn't really know him or respect him.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Natsuhiko: I'm not touching that fire. It will burn my hand.
Everyone in the game: Whoa, Natsuhiko, what happened to the little boy with such child-levels of self control bravery?? You really need to touch that fire. For reasons. God, stop being wrong all the time.

OddHaberdasher
Jan 21, 2016
Yeah, unless her reasons for her actions amount to "keep working or we toss the both of them (Nat and Yuuri) in the BC reactor", I'm with Natsuhiko on this one.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
We still never figured out who that girl that BC'd Watase in the mirror that time was, have we? I feel like something should have come up by now

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

OddHaberdasher posted:

Yeah, unless her reasons for her actions amount to "keep working or we toss the both of them (Nat and Yuuri) in the BC reactor", I'm with Natsuhiko on this one.

It's going to be that, tho

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Danaru posted:

We still never figured out who that girl that BC'd Watase in the mirror that time was, have we? I feel like something should have come up by now

I checked who it was and I noticed a scene that was familiar.
Seems the terrorist Mashiro empathy'd might be our old pal Watase Kasasagi. Or at the very least he is familiar with the terrorists.

Haifisch posted:

Natsuhiko: I'm not touching that fire. It will burn my hand.
Everyone in the game: Whoa, Natsuhiko, what happened to the little boy with such child-levels of self control bravery?? You really need to touch that fire. For reasons. God, stop being wrong all the time.

What annoys me the most is that Mashiro of all people is the one doing this the most. Like she understands Natsuhiko better than anyone and she can use empathy but she totally ignores his feelings anyway. She's really on the fast track on becoming my least favorite character in the game.

Mister Olympus posted:

It's going to be that, tho

Yeah that's what I meant by the game trying to Kojima us. The vn will prob make her out as a misunderstood martyr and whoah don't we feel silly now (No. No I do not.)
Either that or perhaps Natsuhiko isn't even her kid and she's just collecting powerful psychic children. Note that she doesn't even really give a poo poo how he is in our bad After ending.

Seraphic Neoman fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Feb 9, 2017

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

SECURITY DEPARTMENT'S PURSUIT: 09/15/2030, 09:00

♪ BGM: Looming Crisis

Natsuhiko frantically ran, urging the girls to do so as well.

Let's escape to somewhere devoid of people for now. It'll be too hard to tell who's with the security department in a crowd.

In accordance with Salyu's suggestion, they ran away from the urban areas. The situation was different from their escape last night. They had taken advantage of the cover of the dark, but this time it was a challenge purely of stamina and agility. Salyu seemed like she had more than enough stamina, but--

Haah, haah...!

Mashiro's rough breathing was loud and clear. Her stamina could give out at any moment. Natsuhiko took Mashiro by the hand, and right when they thought they had finally shaken off the men,

(!)

a car appeared in their path. Rokumei City's emblem was painted on the side.

The security department again!?
This way, you two!

Natsuhiko detoured into a side street. They continued into a narrow, unpaved road that seemed inaccessible to cars.

Crap, they'll overtake us at this rate!
Is there nowhere we can hide?
I-I don't know!

Mashiro cried bitterly. Her voice sounded so pained. Mashiro was by no means fast on her feet and her physical strength was subpar at best.

(Dammit, at this rate, Mashiro's gonna--)

The security department's presence was gone for now, but by no means did that mean they could stop. They ran at random through narrow streets so as to make themselves harder to track.

Haah, haah, haah.... W-wait, I can't go on...!

Mashiro finally threw in the towel. But that very moment, beyond the grass lining the side of the road, they saw an old, abandoned building.

!! That's it! Let's hide in there!
Huh? Ah, yeah!

The kids stumbled into the building.

Despite its considerable size, there was no sign of anybody inside. The kids took deep breaths.

Haah, haah, haah, haah...
*wheeze*... *wheeze*...
... Whew.
Haah... th-think we can escape their pursuit here for a bit...?
Quite possibly. I checked when we got here, but there were no surveillance cameras near the entrance.
Th-thank goodness... That was honestly a close one...

Mashiro spoke as she caught her breath. She seemed to have finally recovered. She took a look around and suddenly opened her eyes as if she had noticed something.

...Huh, isn't this place...
Hmm, something up?
Well, this is our 'secret base' isn't it?
Huh? ...Ah, you're right.

Now that she mentioned it, it was. It was the abandoned factory that Natsuhiko and the other children played in. Their so—called 'secret base'.

Man... this place hasn't changed a bit.
Well, it's so big that even just demolishing it would be expensive, after all.
...This is perfect. Since this base is familiar territory to us and all, let's rest here for a bit.

A blue branch with Mashiro at 8.

They wiped off their sweat and leaned against the wall. Salyu looked a little tired too as she whispered.

The security department is making it hard to move around.
Yeah... we've made a nuisance of an enemy, haven't we? The very townspeople we swore to protect have become our enemies... Quite ironic.

Tips posted:

TIP: BeyoBEYO/Episode 5 Commentary

''Still don't get it? Your real enemies... are the townspeople you swore to protect. That's right. The normal humans with no powers.''

Controlled by the darkloid telepathy used by the leader of the dark organization, Nobody, the townspeople grab at Beyond Comni. The people she swore to protect are attacking her, and to make matters worse, she no longer has Yeti there to support her. Kirara has always stood up cheerfully no matter what difficulties had faced her, but now...? Who's friend and who's foe? What should she do, and for whom? Beyond Comni's mind trembles intensely at the Nobody leader's tempting words.

--Psychic Girl Beyond*BEYOND
Official Guidebook

''The very townspeople we swore to protect have become our enemies... Quite ironic.''

Natsuhiko, Mashiro, and Salyu were chased relentlessly by the security department under false charges. But Mashiro still did not let herself lose heart. For her Yeti-- that is, Natsuhiko and Salyu-- never abandoned her. To strive for someone's sake. To strive by someone's side. It seems that was all she needed.

They had always known the security department to be a reliable organization, but now they were painfully aware of just how diligent they were.

(Mom could've just stopped those security department freaks for us...)

That thought reminded Natsuhiko of something. He remembered that strange voice he heard back when he saw his mother.

Oh... right. Guys, please listen.
Huh? What's up?
Actually, when I was talking to Mom... I heard her mental voice for some reason.
Her mental voice? You mean--
E-Empathy!?
I don't know, but... probably...

Mashiro's eyes widened at those words.

Wait, you're serious, Natsuhiko!? Isn't that a little too quick!? You only started using telepathy just recently, didn't you!?
Well, it was for just a second, but I'm sure I heard it.
T-try it out on me for a sec! My heart's totally open right now, so try to listen to my mental voice!
I'm quite interested too. Please try it out.
Y-yeah, sure.

Natsuhiko put a finger to his brow, a trick used for empathy. He shut his eyes and tried listening to the girls' mental voices.

(Please tell me what you guys are thinking...!)

But for some reason, he couldn't concentrate too well. Compared to telepathy, which only required focusing on a simple message, empathy seemed like it'd be several times more difficult to him.

H-how about it, Natsuhiko!?
Did you hear my mental voice?
...No, it's not working. Looks like it's the same as with telepathy: seems I can only use it when I'm truly focusing.
I-I see...
Were you focusing intensely when you were talking with the professor?
...Yeah, I guess. I mean, she did cry all of a sudden, so, yeah...
What was on the professor's mind?
...Well, it wasn't anything special. She was mad, and sad, and stuff.

Natsuhiko awkwardly tried to gloss over the details. He recalled his mother's mental voice. --''I knew it. He hates me...'' ''But until all the work is complete, it'd be best if I avoided him...''--

(Mom was thinking things like that...?)

They were quite unexpected thoughts. Though that was assuming what Natsuhiko heard was actual empathy and not just an auditory hallucination.

...Right. Maybe it was just an auditory hallucination.
Huh?
You're right, Mashiro. There's no way I could start using empathy so quickly. Maybe I was just hearing things. I didn't even identify Mom's characteristic brain waveform, after all.
M-maybe... That's okay, though.

Mashiro appeared to be preoccupied with other things.

(... I guess this isn't the time to be talking about this.)

As soon as they started the search, they were nearly detained by the security department. And despite being the first to nearly throw in the towel, Mashiro was probably doing her best to endure. Natsuhiko thought he'd try to casually break the tension with some optimistic conversation.

♪ BGM: Quiet Days of Rokumei City

...But still, you know, Mashiro. This place sure brings back memories, huh?
Huh... What do you mean?
I'm talking about the past. This is where we all used to gather as kids, after all.
Ah, yeah. You're right, this place does bring me back...

Mashiro looked around the ruined factory with distant eyes. Eyes that were perhaps seeing images of the past.

More talk about your shared past?
Ah, sorry. Is it boring you?
Not at all. I want to hear more.
Well, it's not that big a deal, but...

With that introduction, Natsuhiko began to tell a story.

--In those days, we'd gather here a lot and get excited over trying to solve the 'Seven Wonders of Rokumei City'.
Seven Wonders?
They're these seven urban myths this town has.
Like what?
Well, let's see... Hmm, what were they, again?

Natsuhiko thought hard to remember them.

Let's see... Number 1 : 'LABO doesn't conduct nuclear power research. They research arms production and other dangerous, national matters.'
Huh... no way! The professor does that sort of research!?
Ah, no, no. That's just a baseless rumor. Nothing more.
...That's a relief.
But you see, when we were kids, we actually believed in this nonsense.

Natsuhiko continued with a wry smile.

Number 2: 'The burned ruins of the old Rokumei City Hospital are haunted by the ghost of someone who died in the fire.'
...There's no such thing as ghosts.
Number 3: 'The surveillance cameras in town aren't meant to prevent crime, but to observe ordinary citizens.'
...It would be hard to call that absurd based on what happened today.
Number 4: 'There exists a righteous organization that fights evil Communicators who misuse BC. They're commonly referred to as the BC Police. Their true identity is shrouded in mystery, but they're headquartered in Rokumei City.'
...Is that real life or just something from an anime?
Well, you know, now that I think about it, the whole thing was more like a joke.
What were the other things?
Right, we haven't gotten to the best ones yet.

Mashiro grinned broadly as she spoke to Salyu.

Number 5: 'If a Communicator uses BC without knowing the proper way, they will eventually turn into a mind-broken monster.'
Yeah, that's the one!

That fifth wonder was one step beyond the others in terms of eeriness. Salyu's expression clouded over upon hearing it too.

...Monster? What do you mean they'll become a monster?
Actually... this is still a firmly rooted rumor, but... Remember how it's been said that BC still has many unknown factors?
Yeah.
Well, it's only to be expected, you know? After all, we still don't even understand the workings of the brain that well. So if you self-study BC and practice using a failed methodology... It could put an odd load onto your brain, and if that accumulates... They say that eventually, your mind will break...!

Salyu's face clearly stiffened. Mashiro continued in an even more exaggerated tone.

And as for the mind-broken Communicators... They become 'monsters' who use aberrant BC abilities and cursed telepathy to scatter madness among people all around them... So to prevent the birth of such monsters, the government established Communicator-exclusive schools like Rokumei Academy...!
--!!

Salyu jolted back in fear. Despite her lack of fear for ghosts, it seemed she could still be scared by such stories with questionable realism.

Well, it might not necessarily be false. I'm not so sure about that monster-prevention part, but our school does make brainwave scans and aptitude tests part of the students' yearly physical examinations.
Th-then if one of those monsters had ever arisen, there would have to be records of it. Any such records?
None. Nobody's seen any.
See? Just a baseless rumor then--
No, you should hold your conclusions until after you hear the next one.
Huh...?

As Salyu tilted her head, Natsuhiko thrust his finger at her and spoke up.

Number 6: 'Monsterified people are captured by a secret task force working under the Rokumei City Security Department and are imprisoned underground beneath the municipal office.' In short, the security department hides all of the monsters away from the public eye, and that's why you never hear of any.
...No...

Salyu's face was already pale, her voice powerless. Natsuhiko just kept it coming.

And Wonder Number 7...

But before he could finish, he forgot what it was.

...Huh? Mashiro, what was Number 7?
Ah, that one was like a supplement to Number 5. Basically--
N-no more! Six is enough!

A flustered Salyu spoke up. She apparently wasn't good with this sort of talk after all.

Oh? Salyu, you a scaredy cat~?
Sh-shut up, Mashiro.
Now, now, there's nothing wrong with you acting your age for once. It's cute.
Shut up, Natsuhiko. I suggest you quit.

Salyu lightly slapped Natsuhiko and Mashiro on the cheeks.

Ow, ow, sorry, sorry, Salyu!
I'm sorry I scared you so much! It was a joke! A joke!
Yeah, they're just rumors, after all!

A yellow branch with Mashiro at 8. This one hides the entrance to Mashiro's next friendship scene.

Hahah, okay, okay.
Man, we were so childish, weren't we?

They smiled at each other. And thus, before they knew it, the heavy atmosphere had somehow abated.

Now that he thought about it, she was always like that. She had an indomitable will that allowed her to not shrink back when cornered, but to find enjoyment out of even the toughest of times.

(That's right... she was like that back then, too, huh?)

And with that thought, he had a recollection of another childhood memory.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

JOURNEY OF JUSTICE

Natsuhiko and Mashiro had run away from the guard stationed there. And as they ran recklessly--

It was the place they had turned into their ''secret base''.

Haah... haah...
Whew, whew...
Haah... ha, hahah... ahahahah...
Eheheh... ahahahah...
Yes! We set Sirius free!
Yeah! We did it! We did it!

Natsuhiko and Mashiro laughed out loud. What they felt the most wasn't the sadness of parting with Sirius, nor the fear of getting caught by the guard, but rather the sense that they had truly accomplished something. They had saved a life. Natsuhiko was glad and proud of himself. He had experienced some terribly mortifying memories in that ruined factory-- but for that moment, he had forgotten about them.

Hey, Mashiro.
What, Natsuhiko?
We've been rivals so far, but now and forever, we're allies of justice, aren't we?
Yeah!
Let's keep protecting the town's peace!
Yeah, yeah! 'Don't wait for someone else to protect what you hold dear. Protect it with your own hands', right?

Mashiro smiled softly as she spoke. Natsuhiko lost his breath.

Not because she had quoted him. But because Mashiro's smile looked strangely charming to him in the moonlight.

Huh? What's wrong? Your face is red?
N-no! It's nothing!
Hmm... you're weird.

Mashiro tilted her head and suddenly changed the subject.

Anyway, what do we do after this?
Huh? What do you mean?
If we go home now, our moms will surely be angry, right? It's so late at night, after all.
Geh, now that you mention it...

He hadn't thought about it. Natsuhiko spoke the first thing that came to mind.

...Then why don't we go on a 'journey of justice' together?
Ah, I'm not sure what that means, but it sounds good! Let's do it, let's do it!
I know, right? We'll get a buncha bad guys. We'll punish the evil health care center, too.
If we do, then Sirius can come back to town, right?
Yeah, someday!
But in that case, it looks like we've got a lot of enemies ahead of us... So we need more allies to help us, don't we?
Hahah, it really would be tough for just the two of us, huh.

Their fun laughter echoed in the dark secret base. However, Natsuhiko knew, and Mashiro probably noticed it too: It was impossible for two children like them to go out on a journey all by themselves. But Natsuhiko chose to ignore that reality as he spoke up cheerfully.

Well, nothing we can do about that right now. I guess let's put the journey on pause... and just go home for today!
Mmm, too bad. We have to go home just to get scolded...?
Don't let it get to you. We did what we did to fulfill heroic duties. So let's not sneak around like cowards, but march as heroes! Let's go!

Natsuhiko took Mashiro by the hand and started to walk.

For a second, Mashiro looked surprised--

Yeah!

But she soon replied with a broad grin. --As he saw her smile, Natsuhiko thought to himself. If only this journey could continue forever instead of ending when they got home. He felt like he could walk like this anywhere so long as Mashiro was with him--

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

SECURITY DEPARTMENT'S PURSUIT: 09/15/2030, 09:00 - PART 2

Now that he thought about it, they had hidden in this very same ruined factory. Perhaps that memory was what cheered Mashiro up.

--Still, it would've been great if you were there with us back then, Salyu. Then we could've played together, and you wouldn't have to feel left out in all these reminiscent talks, you know?
...It's a shame.

Mashiro and Salyu cheerfully talked amongst themselves.

(''We need more allies'', huh... At the very least, we've got one more now.)

But they were fine with just the three of them. With that thought in mind, Natsuhiko piped in with a cheerful voice.

Now, let's leave the past at that. We should think about how we're going to continue the search.

Mashiro and Salyu's faces tensed at his words.

You're right. After all, things out there should've cooled down by now.
No, it's probably too naive to assume that. They're probably lurking around here somewhere.
We're safe here, but there will be surveillance cameras everywhere once we go to an open area. We can't move around freely at this rate.
I see. That's annoying... What do we do?

Natsuhiko pondered that question for a bit.

...I know. Let's use a taxi for all of our transportation from now on.
Huh!?
If we can manage to make it to a main road, we can hail a taxi there. Then we just rent it out for the day.

Tips posted:

TIP: Manned taxi

Rokumei City has full ADS adoption in its vehicles, but still uses commercial buses and taxis with drivers.

Even if driving is normally left up to the ADS, the driver can switch to manual driving mode in case of emergencies. The presence of a human driver has also been shown to have a major affect on the passengers' sense of security. Furthermore, for the companies providing such riding services, human drivers help make it more clear who is liable in the case of an accident. 80 having human drivers makes sense for all parties involved.

Being a driver in Rokumei City does not require as much driving skill or geographical knowledge as it would in other places. What is more important is the ability to observe and operate the ADS on board.

The security department probably won't expect us to go through that much effort.
W-well, that does sound nice, but...
How will we pay for it?
I've been saving up for a rainy day. And today's that day.
Wait, are you sure!?
Sure I'm sure. It's not like I've got any other use for it.

That was the money Natsuhiko had been meticulously saving up from his allowance and New Year's red envelopes ever since elementary school. His lack of hobbies meant he had no use for the money, so he had an absurd amount of savings in the bank.

I should have around 200,000 yen. I'm pretty sure that should be enough to rent out a taxi.
Ohh... looking kinda cool, Mr. Moneybags.
But that certainly does sound safe.
Okay, then that settles it, then!

He'd never done something as extravagant as reserving a taxi for a whole day, but now wasn't the time to mind such details.

A blue branch with Mashiro at 8 and Salyu at 7.

Well, Mr. Ukita wasn't home, and it doesn't look like we can depend on Mom...
So I guess we've gotta go with Ms. Ena then, huh?
Or we could also go with our original plan and go to the PRC.

Natsuhiko pondered which route to take-- and a moment later, he gave his answer.

So let's go see Prof. Tsubakiyama first.
But do you know where Ena lives?
No, but maybe we can find her if we went to the school...

Ena was such a diligent teacher that she might have still gone to work even though it was a Sunday.

Okay, that settles it, then! We'll hail a taxi and go to school first!
No objection.
Okay, let's go, you two!

And with that exchange of words, the kids dashed out of the ruined factory. --They ran from cover to cover and somehow managed to reach a convenience store beside the main road. For now, Natsuhiko withdrew 100,000 yen, or half of his total savings. And thus, they had enough to cover their transportation costs, but the convenience store's surveillance cameras had likely caught Natsuhiko on film. He had covered his face with his hand, but there was still the possibility that they could track his movements through his ATM card history.

(I mustn't stay here a moment longer than I need to... Gotta get out before the security department arrives!)

With that thought in mind, Natsuhiko dashed out of the convenience store.

Mashiro and Salyu turned around once Natsuhiko shouted. They had been waiting by the main road and had just hailed a taxi.

Thanks, Natsuhiko!
Now, hurry this way.

Natsuhiko nodded and rushed to the taxi.

Driver: 'Kay, where to?

As he opened the door, Natsuhiko answered the driver's question with a question of his own.

Um, excuse me! Do you do full-day rentals!?
Driver: Huh? Rentals? Now that's an unusual request... Not that I'm complaining.
How much!?
Driver: 45,000 yen for 8 hours.
Gh... now that's expensive!
But we don't have time to hesitate. Let's hurry in, Natsuhiko.
R-right!

And with that, the kids piled into the car. The driver spoke in a tone of voice that was suddenly a lot more polite.

Driver: Thank you for your patronage. Now, where may I take you first?
To Rokumei Academy!
Driver: Understood. --Voice command: Navigate to 'Rokumei Academy'. Drive mode: 'Automatic', 'Normal'. Initiate drive sequence.

The driver commanded the automatic driving system and the taxi nimbly took off.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Hahahaha Natsuhiko is the Event.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

SSNeoman posted:

Hahahaha Natsuhiko is the Event.

The what?

OddHaberdasher
Jan 21, 2016
I believe that SS is saying Natsuhiko is the N-class due to these 'unsubstantiated rumours':

TheMcD posted:

Number 5: 'If a Communicator uses BC without knowing the proper way, they will eventually turn into a mind-broken monster.'

And as for the mind-broken Communicators... They become 'monsters' who use aberrant BC abilities and cursed telepathy to scatter madness among people all around them...

This would explain much more clearly why Watase would call Natsuhiko a 'monster'. These rumours also show that Watase is likely an undercover member of the BC police.

EDIT: And referring back to your recent post about flashbacks, SS, the 'Test Subject' chapter has Watase flashing back to images of children under varying levels of imprisonment and restraint, and one of the Seven Legends does say that the BC Police seal 'monsters' away underground.

OddHaberdasher fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Feb 9, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

That is true yeah. Okay I think I get the gag now.

Rokumei is a city which is trying to normalize living with people who have BC. LABO is actually a BC detention center where kids who go nuts due to BC get sent to and I imagine they try and make them better (or...not...). This is because the kids who go crackers probably RAGE VIRUS people due to their out-of-control powers. That would explain why LABO has its self-sealing door plan. Evidently they decided to create a BC amplifier and decided to stick it down there for reasons I can't figure out yet, and prob stuck one of the kids in there. They might've intended said kid to work as a BC relay or something. I'm guessing Yuuri was the intended user but from the looks of things someone took her out and replaced her with one of those insane kids. Natsuhiko and co prob stumble inside the facility just as the rescue team are investigating a terrorist attack. One of the nutso kids gets loose and everyone goes insane and starts killing each other. Natsuhiko might actually be okay due to his latent BC ability, at least at first, but when Kasasagi tries to attack him he basically MIND CRUSHES him. Cue after route.

• Locked thread