Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

DancingShade posted:

You can swap a size 4 FSD with a class 5 range upgrade between your DBS and Vulture too :eng101:

My Vulture with upgraded class 4 FSD does 22 ly, but I have to scoop every two jumps, the tank is just too small :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

I just scored a ton of credits with a recent community goal that I participated in. I've had a Lakon Type-6 and I was told to go for an ASP Explorer next. Is that the right ship? I'm just in this game to LARP as a space trucker with chaw, a confederate flag trucker hat, and a piss jug. Is there a better trade vessel I should aspire to or is the ASP Explorer what I want for now?

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

frogge posted:

I just scored a ton of credits with a recent community goal that I participated in. I've had a Lakon Type-6 and I was told to go for an ASP Explorer next. Is that the right ship? I'm just in this game to LARP as a space trucker with chaw, a confederate flag trucker hat, and a piss jug. Is there a better trade vessel I should aspire to or is the ASP Explorer what I want for now?

You don't get a lot for your money but yeah it's the next logical step.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

TorakFade posted:

My Vulture with upgraded class 4 FSD does 22 ly, but I have to scoop every two jumps, the tank is just too small :smith:

Dump the military hull and any hull reinforcements. You don't need them and you'll get to 24+ LY easy.

(or keep them if you want, it's all good)

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

DancingShade posted:

Dump the military hull and any hull reinforcements. You don't need them and you'll get to 24+ LY easy.

(or keep them if you want, it's all good)

Yeah maybe with the new military slots (I didn't pick it up since last patch) I could slap a 4 size fuel scoop and a 2 size tank in the normal internals , but I don't really travel much in it.

Point is, travelling in a combat ship is still a pain even with upgraded jump range

One in the Bum
Apr 25, 2014

Hair Elf

frogge posted:

The asp-e can be outfitted to carry about the same cargo as a type 6, maybe a bit more as a pure hauler, but it's way more versatile, better maneuverability and has more hardpoints for fending off interdictions. I'll put it this way, the asp is a ship you'll want to keep, even when you progress further as it fills various niche roles, the type 6 will be outclassed in every way.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
You can't go wrong with and ASP-X - it's the best sub-$30 million jack of all trades in the game, provides the mathematically best jump range (outside of a nutty Anaconda build where you mount power plants and engines far too small for the frame and no weapons or internal components) of any ship (with engineer upgrades you're looking at 45 ly jumps), and it fantastic at passenger missions, mid-weight long-range hauling and anything involving exploration/scanning. You'll keep it well past the point where you can afford things like Pythons or 'Condas.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

frogge posted:

Speaking of it as a dedicated trader, the Asp-E is roughly equal to the Type-6 in pure cargo capacity. However, *everything else* on the Asp-E is considerably more convenient for you; you have about the cargo capacity of the T6, maybe less depending on configuration, paired with superior armor, shields, armament, and jump range. It's maybe the best sub-10M general workhorse ship in the game; it can cross from one side of the bubble to the next in a few silly jumps, it can be configured to be a pure trader, an explorer, a salvage ship, a miner, a rare trader/smuggler, a mission runner, and while it's not exactly recommended to go fighting in it, it can definitely pack enough punch to defend itself. It won't carry more cargo than the T6 but what it does carry it'll carry faster, further, easier, safer and much more painlessly than the T6 does.

Also the maneuver thrusters sound like a Hutt farting into a tuba so it's got that going for it.

For pure dedicated bulk trader ships, the next step up from the T6 and Asp-E is, unsurprisingly, the T7. Possibly the ugliest ship in the game, the T7 is basically what the T6 evolves into; a giant, brutally industrial cargo can with thrusters welded into one end. It's relatively cheap for a ship of its size at something like 18M base cost, and can easily be configured to carry 200 tons of cargo at a time plus shields and a fuel scoop. I'd aim for that once you have your Asp-E kitted out, with an eventual eye on working your way up to a Type-9 - its a barn on wings that needs to be aimed into roughly at the right direction at the factory, but 400 tons of cargo plus auxiliary systems and a fighter bay is nothing to sneeze at.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Drake_263 posted:

Speaking of it as a dedicated trader, the Asp-E is roughly equal to the Type-6 in pure cargo capacity. However, *everything else* on the Asp-E is considerably more convenient for you; you have about the cargo capacity of the T6, maybe less depending on configuration, paired with superior armor, shields, armament, and jump range. It's maybe the best sub-10M general workhorse ship in the game; it can cross from one side of the bubble to the next in a few silly jumps, it can be configured to be a pure trader, an explorer, a salvage ship, a miner, a rare trader/smuggler, a mission runner, and while it's not exactly recommended to go fighting in it, it can definitely pack enough punch to defend itself. It won't carry more cargo than the T6 but what it does carry it'll carry faster, further, easier, safer and much more painlessly than the T6 does.

Also the maneuver thrusters sound like a Hutt farting into a tuba so it's got that going for it.

For pure dedicated bulk trader ships, the next step up from the T6 and Asp-E is, unsurprisingly, the T7. Possibly the ugliest ship in the game, the T7 is basically what the T6 evolves into; a giant, brutally industrial cargo can with thrusters welded into one end. It's relatively cheap for a ship of its size at something like 18M base cost, and can easily be configured to carry 200 tons of cargo at a time plus shields and a fuel scoop. I'd aim for that once you have your Asp-E kitted out, with an eventual eye on working your way up to a Type-9 - its a barn on wings that needs to be aimed into roughly at the right direction at the factory, but 400 tons of cargo plus auxiliary systems and a fighter bay is nothing to sneeze at.

Expanding on that, if you want to stay with medium-sized ships for the convenience of being able to land on small stations, there's also the Federal Dropship to consider. It's a bit rough in terms of handling and money, but you can get more cargo than the Asp can carry. You're just basically exchanging jump range for higher survivability in case you get interdicted by something you can't immediately run from for some reason.

Also apart from the Fed Dropship, the only medium ship with higher cargo capacity is the Python. And the Python costs more than three times as much.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

Libluini posted:

Expanding on that, if you want to stay with medium-sized ships for the convenience of being able to land on small stations, there's also the Federal Dropship to consider. It's a bit rough in terms of handling and money, but you can get more cargo than the Asp can carry. You're just basically exchanging jump range for higher survivability in case you get interdicted by something you can't immediately run from for some reason.

Also apart from the Fed Dropship, the only medium ship with higher cargo capacity is the Python. And the Python costs more than three times as much.

I was considering bringing the Python up so since you did - yeah, the Python is really expensive. 57M stock configuration, probably three-four times as much to outfit, but you can easily kit one for 150-200 tons of cargo and have space left over for all sorts of cool secondary functions - high firepower, tough, hugely flexible, it's like the difference between the T6 and Asp-E. Personally I love flying my Python, but it's very much an 'endgame' ship. Exactly like how an Anaconda can carry all the cargo of a T9, but costs so much more.

The ultimate trader vessel, I think, is the iCutter. You can fit like 5-600 tons of cargo on there, along with a dual-slot fighter bay, a c4 gun, and all the other good stuff. Good luck just making the money and rep for it. (Rep grind being one of the main reasons I avoided bringing up the iClipper or fDropship)

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Drake_263 posted:

I was considering bringing the Python up so since you did - yeah, the Python is really expensive. 57M stock configuration, probably three-four times as much to outfit, but you can easily kit one for 150-200 tons of cargo and have space left over for all sorts of cool secondary functions - high firepower, tough, hugely flexible, it's like the difference between the T6 and Asp-E. Personally I love flying my Python, but it's very much an 'endgame' ship. Exactly like how an Anaconda can carry all the cargo of a T9, but costs so much more.

The ultimate trader vessel, I think, is the iCutter. You can fit like 5-600 tons of cargo on there, along with a dual-slot fighter bay, a c4 gun, and all the other good stuff. Good luck just making the money and rep for it. (Rep grind being one of the main reasons I avoided bringing up the iClipper or fDropship)

Naaaah. Well-fit do everything python (non pvp) can be around 100m and in max cargo spec, 60-70.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

Boogalo posted:

Naaaah. Well-fit do everything python (non pvp) can be around 100m and in max cargo spec, 60-70.

Depends on if your fit includes the mil-spec armor plate or not. That usually about doubles the cost of the ship by itself.

Incidentally, the most ridiculous thing about the T9: A stock T9 costs about 76M or so, and handles like a cast iron pig. All the grace and poise of a loving bowling ball. It also comes with a C7 thruster array, and a C7A thruster upgrade will by itself set you back by a cool 51M. Not like you'll still be winning any drag races anytime soon.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
Yeah, I skipped all the haulers and just went from Asp-E to Python to Anaconda to Cutter for my trucking needs. Of course, that was back during the Sothis/Ceos poophauling days when money was a little easier to come by (although Cutter rep grind was the same nightmare it is now).

I still have an engineered out Asp-E that I swap into for passenger sightseeing missions, so in answer to the original question, yeah the Asp is a great ship.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

StarkRavingMad posted:

Yeah, I skipped all the haulers and just went from Asp-E to Python to Anaconda to Cutter for my trucking needs. Of course, that was back during the Sothis/Ceos poophauling days when money was a little easier to come by (although Cutter rep grind was the same nightmare it is now).

I still have an engineered out Asp-E that I swap into for passenger sightseeing missions, so in answer to the original question, yeah the Asp is a great ship.

Nowadays the T-7 has been buffed enough a space trucker can at least consider taking it, instead of grinding up into a Python. But still, having the medium hauler being unable to dock in medium-sized landing pads is rather painful.

I just wish Frontier would come up with something to stuff this awkward hole in the middle between Asp and Python. (Sure, I'm talking up the Fed Dropship a lot, but that's honestly just 28 tons more cargo then the Asp, so not exactly a huge leap. But hey, if you can live with all the drawbacks and don't want to pay for a Python, the Fed Dropship can make a nice Ersatzfakehauler.)

Chrysophylax
Dec 28, 2006
._.
Personally I wouldn't trade the Asp's jump range and top speed for 28 extra tons. But then again I don't haul anything at all, just looking at it from a pure ease of use and survivability pov.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Just get a clipper, and swagger past the small stations like the peasants they are.

You don't need those fuckos anyway, you're an aristocrat.

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

Libluini posted:

Nowadays the T-7 has been buffed enough a space trucker can at least consider taking it, instead of grinding up into a Python. But still, having the medium hauler being unable to dock in medium-sized landing pads is rather painful.

I just wish Frontier would come up with something to stuff this awkward hole in the middle between Asp and Python. (Sure, I'm talking up the Fed Dropship a lot, but that's honestly just 28 tons more cargo then the Asp, so not exactly a huge leap. But hey, if you can live with all the drawbacks and don't want to pay for a Python, the Fed Dropship can make a nice Ersatzfakehauler.)

Hopefully the Panther will also pave the spaceway for the rest of the cat family of ships from FE - the Lion, the Tiger and the Puma. The Tiger should fit in right between the Asp and Python :v:

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Lima posted:

Hopefully the Panther will also pave the spaceway for the rest of the cat family of ships from FE - the Lion, the Tiger and the Puma. The Tiger should fit in right between the Asp and Python :v:

Only as long as Frontier doesn't accidentally makes the in-game model too large again. :v:

Sard
May 11, 2012

Certified Poster of Culture.
This game needs the Keelback treatment applied to the Type-7 and Type-9. I want a barely flyable brick that happens to carry a huge mount or four.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
just lol if you don't slog your way through the bubble 17LY at a time

#vettelife

Groggy nard
Aug 6, 2013

How does into botes?

tooterfish posted:

Just get a clipper, and swagger past the small stations like the peasants they are.

You don't need those fuckos anyway, you're an aristocrat.

Seconding this, because the bigger Gutamaya ships are the ships of choice for Merchants with means.

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal
Can't wait to get back to the bubble and convert my Cutter into a barebones mining hulk with defense fighters. Last time I flew her she was a boring cheesy mine-laying freighter.

My Clipper is currently the only ship left in my fleet without a clear role. Maybe it's time to build my first pure combat ship in a while (not counting my gimmick pocket carrier gunship)...? A speedy little glass cannon, maybe? I dunno; what's the best thing to do with a Clipper when you already own bigger and better?

DancingShade posted:

M4s best spaceships ever. Argon Buster 4 life.

Goner Ranger 4 lyfe, space pacifists represent

Trustworthy fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Feb 9, 2017

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
I think I'm going to turn my cutter into a multicrew boat and let pubs join in on HazRes farming :buddy:

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010
So can you actually do good passenger missions without Horizons because while it's a cool feature I am not going to spend 20 quid on it if you recquire it.

Additionally is there any good guide to said missions because I want to know what ships to use, how not to die like a scrub etc. If there is any good guide on another site or someone made a good post about it, I appreciate it as carting people round has the potential to actually be somewhat fun.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

SkySteak posted:

So can you actually do good passenger missions without Horizons because while it's a cool feature I am not going to spend 20 quid on it if you recquire it.

Additionally is there any good guide to said missions because I want to know what ships to use, how not to die like a scrub etc. If there is any good guide on another site or someone made a good post about it, I appreciate it as carting people round has the potential to actually be somewhat fun.

Yeah, only for passenger missions that would be a waste of money. But I had so much fun landing on planets I think my money was well spend last year, even though I paid full price for the expansion, not just 20 bucks.

Anyway, your question. I've looked it up for you and it turns out, no you don't need Horizons just for carrying around passengers. Go and have fun!

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

Libluini posted:

I was told the Python would be my next ship after the aspie. I think that since I went from sidewinder to hauler until my buddy gave me high pay cargo for free to move me up that I should just keep moving up from here.

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010
Oh good to hear actually. So would something like a Python work best for long distance then? I heard those journeys can take you literally over 1000s of ly and I also heard that you can get attacked so at least a decent shield/weapon setup may be good? If you want to suggest other ships then please do.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

SkySteak posted:

Oh good to hear actually. So would something like a Python work best for long distance then? I heard those journeys can take you literally over 1000s of ly and I also heard that you can get attacked so at least a decent shield/weapon setup may be good? If you want to suggest other ships then please do.

If all you want to do is go long distance then a stripped down AspX, DBS or Cobra will get a you a long way.

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010

DancingShade posted:

If all you want to do is go long distance then a stripped down AspX, DBS or Cobra will get a you a long way.

I want to make the best possible money as I reasonably can and if that means large scale travel then so be it. It may be a 'Hit J' simulator but considering I did the Sothis route, I already know what that looks like. The only reason I suggested defenses was I that I heard you can get attacked.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
Just run away from a fight. Don't even put guns on your ship.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

frogge posted:

I was told the Python would be my next ship after the aspie. I think that since I went from sidewinder to hauler until my buddy gave me high pay cargo for free to move me up that I should just keep moving up from here.

And you of course always do what you are told? I don't understand your post. :confused:

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

DancingShade posted:

In this case, I'd suggest a DBX over Scout. Great jump range. It is my go to "travel somewhere far for a better chance at rate materials" ship.

Morter fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Feb 10, 2017

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010
OK, cheers for the advice. I was additionally going to ask about you actually approach the cabins in general? I notice the cabin type varies and I assume the better the class the better the money but the more picky they passengers become with things?

Mu77ley
Oct 14, 2016

SkySteak posted:

OK, cheers for the advice. I was additionally going to ask about you actually approach the cabins in general? I notice the cabin type varies and I assume the better the class the better the money but the more picky they passengers become with things?

Passengers want a certain class of cabin, but you can put lower class passengers in higher class cabins without issue if you want. Just not the other way around.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

SkySteak posted:

Generally, but the RNG makes it so that 8 economy passengers can occasionally give you an easier payday than 8 VIPs. Like Mu77ley says, passengers will happily board a nicer cabin than they would normally take, but not the other way around. Because of that, you might always be better off getting a class 5 or 6 first class cabin. The only exception is if you want to pack people in like sardines and just do bulk economy travel options. Luxury cabins and Elite exploration rank and allied status with a faction will get you the best missions possible, but the RNG makes it semi-rare to get those even if you meet all of the criteria.

The best money that I've found in passenger missions currently is with an Asp and a class 6 first class cabin and only taking site-seeing tours with a 5+ mil payout.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

I just found a Thrustmaster T16000 hotas with damaged box for 85€ and couldn't resist ordering it.

Thing is, I play this game on my couch most of the time. I have a Thrustamster Hotas X (getting a little worn out after hundreds of hours in Elite, plus it isn't that great to start with) and keep it in one piece, so its base is big enough to just put on my lap and it doesn't budge at all; I am afraid that having a separate stick, it would just move around when I pull/push on it if I just set it on the couch next to me...

Also since it's now been out for a while, is there a consensus if it's actually a good piece of hardware?

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

TorakFade posted:

I just found a Thrustmaster T16000 hotas with damaged box for 85€ and couldn't resist ordering it.

Thing is, I play this game on my couch most of the time. I have a Thrustamster Hotas X (getting a little worn out after hundreds of hours in Elite, plus it isn't that great to start with) and keep it in one piece, so its base is big enough to just put on my lap and it doesn't budge at all; I am afraid that having a separate stick, it would just move around when I pull/push on it if I just set it on the couch next to me...

Also since it's now been out for a while, is there a consensus if it's actually a good piece of hardware?

I hear some of the best pilots in Elite use Xbox controllers, so it's kinda hard to tell what the best hardware is

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Gort posted:

I hear some of the best pilots in Elite use Xbox controllers, so it's kinda hard to tell what the best hardware is

Oh I know, I didn't get it for "improving my skills", after all I did just fine with the Hotas X which is great for the price but ultimately a cheap rear end old-school joystick and I still suck at the game probably. I got it for the extra buttons mainly and having the magnetic hall sensors because it was loving hard to keep fixed weapons on target with the HotasX.

What I want to know is, will the new t16000 hotas explode in my hands like Saitek products tend to do? I have a few peripherals from Thrustmaster and have always been very satisfied with them, but you never know

TorakFade fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Feb 10, 2017

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Everyone so far has been very happy with theirs aside from adjustment periods and having to move some buttons around. Mine is great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
Some of the best pilots in Elite use <all three options>.

You do you*

*unless you don't fit into frontier's vision of fun.**

**very high likelihood

• Locked thread