Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Inspector_666 posted:

Ties would be the #1 thing I don't want them to do.

When the alternative is horseshit gimmicks like starting the inning with runners on base, I'll take ties.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Crazy Ted posted:

When the alternative is horseshit gimmicks like starting the inning with runners on base, I'll take ties.

Home run derby after the 9th inning obviously.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Grittybeard posted:

Home run derby after the 9th inning obviously.
Ideally yes. And if any of you argues that a Home Run Derby is a gimmick I'll fight you irl

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Crazy Ted posted:

Ideally yes. And if any of you argues that a Home Run Derby is a gimmick I'll fight you irl

I'll be your second.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Crazy Ted posted:

If they're worried that much about extra innings lengthening games, limit regular season ones to 12 and allow for ties. Save time, save pitchers' arms in the process.

if Javy Baez 15th inning grand slams are wrong then I don't want to be right

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的
Limiting the number of pitchers per game would go a long ways towards speeding up games, especially when the rosters are expanded.

Also MLB has demonstrated that it doesn't understand what makes the Home Run Derby good so why would you want one possibly every game?

Senf
Nov 12, 2006

Julio Cruz posted:

The lineup is going to be fearsome but they don't really have any dominant starters on that roster. I guess they start Stroman/Fulmer/Duffy and just use lots of guys out of the pen for a batter or two each?

Isn't that how it usually goes? A lot of pitchers - especially starters - just aren't ready for a lot of innings yet anyway.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Poque posted:

if Javy Baez 15th inning grand slams are wrong then I don't want to be right
I understand, but in a situation where Torre et al are worried about game length, that would be far and away the easiest solution. An occasional tie wouldn't kill baseball. IIRC in Japan the rules used to be that a game was limited to four hours or 12/13 innings, and if your two teams of scrubs couldn't find a winner in that amount of time then too loving bad you get a tie.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Posey and Lucroy are #1 and #2 in fWAR for catchers over the last 3 seasons.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

New Concept Hole posted:

Also MLB has demonstrated that it doesn't understand what makes the Home Run Derby good so why would you want one possibly every game?

the HRD format is the best its ever been AND Chris Berman has been exiled back to hell, it's gonna own bones this year

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
That USA infield is real good. Outfield is okay. Bullpen should be lights out. The starting pitching is seriously lacking in star power, though. I though Scherzer was gonna play. No Kluber, MadBum, or Verlander either.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

tinstaach posted:

Just read that article on Manfred talking about shifts:

And that's...bad??
Yes.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
https://twitter.com/based_ball/status/829463762746740736

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

i had this idea a while back, but it would help with this issue:

instead of counting each result of each game for the standings, consider each result of each series for the standings. whichever team scores more runs at the end of a series receives a win, the other a loss. if the series is tied at the end of the last game in a series, go to the extras we know and love. in all other games in the series, end right at 9 innings.

it'd make for some fun, new strategies too.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Dr. Angela Ziegler posted:

Or players could adapt by learning how to hit better (or bunt one down the third base line)
Do you really think the issue is that hitters at the absolute top level of all of baseball aren't good at hitting? Even if you do, is your suggestion to wait for a coaching breakthrough that might never come?

seiferguy posted:

Manfred has asserted that the big issue is pace. Obviously the big thing to fix would be a pitcher clock (which is showing success in the minor leagues, and is hopefully cultivating a faster pitch routine in minor league players), but the players' union is opposed to it. Hence why Manfred is trying to do things within his control.

I'm just not seeing how shifts are causing a pacing issue.
There can be more than one issue, and I would think MLB is definitely hoping for more offense.

Inspector_666 posted:

The thing is that the length of the game isn't the issue. Pace of the game maybe, but I think they're focused on the wrong stuff, and part of this is also MLB being loving idiots about marketing. The NFL and NBA make their star players loving stars, most people, even casual-to-slightly-serious fans probably couldn't pick Mike Trout out of a lineup. (No pun originally intended.) Even if they're 100% sure that pace of play or time of games is the fix, they're focused on all the wrong places.

A runner on base means more sac flies or bunts and gently caress. that.

Speaking of outsized players, though: Brian Wilson eyeing MLB return as a knuckleballer.
Says who?

I also think the "no stars" is more a function of how baseball works, where you can reasonably have contending teams without an obvious big star and, conversely, a guy like Trout might be one of the best players of all time but is doomed by his team in a way that the equivalent basketball player would never be, star players fall apart at a staggering rate in a moment's notice without a lot of warning signs, star players get traded/signed away at a pretty high rate, etc. That's much different than anything with the NBA, and the NFL gets around a lot of that by focusing nearly exclusively on quarterbacks. It's also not just a choice from the leagues, so much as decisions coming from Nike, Adidas, Sprite, McDonald's, etc.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
https://twitter.com/CarrieMuskat/status/829494849833299968

e. Dewees was the 11th-12th best prospect for the Cubs in MLB pipeline, he's a good contact hitter with plus speed but was presumably position blocked by the Cubs current OF. Also he's got a 30 grade arm. Mills is now ranked as the Cubs 16th best by MLB pipeline, looks like a control guy with a solid 91-95mph fastball and three decent to plus-ish secondary pitches and projects to be a starter. All in all doesn't look like a bad deal for us.

Sydin fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Feb 9, 2017

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

One way to speed up the game is to not allow visits to the mound from the coach. If you come out, the pitcher has to come out. None of this walk out to the mound to give a scouting report on the pinch hitter bullshit. Catcher gets one trip an inning. Figure out your signs before the game.

If it doesn't speed it up it'll at least get some more offense which is cool too.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Sydin posted:

https://twitter.com/CarrieMuskat/status/829494849833299968

e. Dewees was the 11th-12th best prospect for the Cubs in MLB pipeline, he's a good contact hitter with plus speed but was presumably position blocked by the Cubs current OF. Also he's got a 30 grade arm. Mills is now ranked as the Cubs 16th best by MLB pipeline, looks like a control guy with a solid 91-95mph fastball and three decent to plus-ish secondary pitches and projects to be a starter. All in all doesn't look like a bad deal for us.

I am sad about losing Dewees only because he was the 2021 NL MVP for my OOTP Baseball Cubs team.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Seems like a 5th starter for a 4th/5th OF. Probably a wash in terms of value and helps fill needs for both organizations.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

seiferguy posted:

Well, I think it's still something worth assessing if that's the case. Baseball is huge among baby boomers, but younger generations still aren't with it. I still think it's gonna take some time before teams start adjusting to shifts.

Speaking of new rules, Joe Torre is considering a new extra innings rule that will be implemented in the low minors: http://sports.yahoo.com/news/mlb-plans-to-test-new-extra-innings-rules-in-rookie-ball-with-joe-torres-approval-224914115.html (It's placing a runner on 1st base starting in extra innings).

Seems like they're looking for a solution to a problem that doesn't exist. Complaints are much more about the 9 inning game that goes 4 and a half hours than a 15 inning game.

Abel Wingnut posted:

i had this idea a while back, but it would help with this issue:

instead of counting each result of each game for the standings, consider each result of each series for the standings. whichever team scores more runs at the end of a series receives a win, the other a loss. if the series is tied at the end of the last game in a series, go to the extras we know and love. in all other games in the series, end right at 9 innings.

it'd make for some fun, new strategies too.

This is a terrible idea because it undercuts a fundamental aspect of a game, that there needs to be a concrete outcome (win/loss/tie) when the spectators leave at the end.

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的
If it always ended in a position player pitching it would all be worth it. What we really need is a ban on managers who aren't letting this happen.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Niwrad posted:

Seems like a 5th starter for a 4th/5th OF. Probably a wash in terms of value and helps fill needs for both organizations.

By this point I trust Theo completely and am sure he will be a big contributor to the team 5 years from now.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

The average MLB game is the the same length as the average NFL game to within a couple of minutes.

The issue is pace, not length. Fixing pace would almost assuredly lower the time, but if all the league cares about is lowering the game time by cutting extra innings, etc. I don't think it will solve any of the underlying issues that are causing the demographics crunch they're trying to get rid of.

(This is like a meta command v control argument.)

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

New Concept Hole posted:

If it always ended in a position player pitching it would all be worth it. What we really need is a ban on managers who aren't letting this happen.

If the game's still tied after two rounds of HRD then the third must have a pitcher at the plate.

will_colorado
Jun 30, 2007

:laffo:

why is this the first time I've ever seen this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DYnNRLll310

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Whenever anyone argues in favor of an IBB change I just watch this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6YzVvtxoaY

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Inspector_666 posted:

The average MLB game is the the same length as the average NFL game to within a couple of minutes.

The issue is pace, not length. Fixing pace would almost assuredly lower the time, but if all the league cares about is lowering the game time by cutting extra innings, etc. I don't think it will solve any of the underlying issues that are causing the demographics crunch they're trying to get rid of.

There are enough complaints about the length of NFL games, there's a wider variance in baseball game length which can make for a few real slogs and I think there's a big difference for the amount of daily attention to give a sport with 16 games to one with 162 games. It leads to more unique issues to baseball that you don't have with football; 3+ hour games are particularly painful in double headers and when you have weather delays it makes any further drawing out of the game that much more torturous.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

will_colorado posted:

Is...is this legal?

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

will_colorado posted:

This is my new favorite thing.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Some Numbers posted:

Is...is this legal?

It's the reason why during most IBB's you'll see the hitter stay in their batting stance ready to hit - just in case a ball drifts too close to the zone. Signalling an IBB doesn't negate the strike zone.

ScottyJSno
Aug 16, 2010

日本が大好きです!
You cant compare FIPs from two diffrent eras of baseball right?

Cy Young's 1896 FIP of 3.36 means nothing next to Kyle Hendricks 2016 3.20 FIP right? The conditions are too diffrent?

The FIP constant is too diffrent?

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

ScottyJSno posted:

Cy Young's 1896 FIP of 3.36 means nothing next to Kyle Hendricks 2016 3.20 FIP right? The conditions are too diffrent?

You can't.

FIP Constant = lgERA – (((13*lgHR)+(3*(lgBB+lgHBP))-(2*lgK))/lgIP)

So you can't compare their FIP, really, unless you want to do the math to reverse engineer the constant.

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

will_colorado posted:

Tricky!

Also, the Royals apparently signed Jason Hammel for a 2 year deal to fill the spot in the rotation left by Ventura's unfortunate early passing.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Inspector_666 posted:

There's actually roughly the same amount of "action" per game in each league as well.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

ScottyJSno posted:

If you want to do this, use FIP- which is league and park adjusted. Cy Young's FIP- in 1896 was 77, Hendricks last year was 78.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Rand alPaul posted:

Whenever anyone argues in favor of an IBB change I just watch this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6YzVvtxoaY

El Gary hit one to the back half of the warning track on an IBB pitch last season, and it was a total Happy Gilmore swing at that. It owned.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Puerto Rico's WBC infield, good gravy. Lindor, Correa, Baez.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/fish-bytes/article131662694.html

Apparently a handshake deal is in place for Loria to sell the Marlins. That'd be amazing to get him out of the league.

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Who threw this cat at me?
Clapping Larry
Do you guys remember Homer Bailey and that really dumb contract that the Reds gave him?

In case you're wondering its still really dumb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob James
Nov 15, 2005

by Lowtax
Ultra Carp

Poque posted:

http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/fish-bytes/article131662694.html

Apparently a handshake deal is in place for Loria to sell the Marlins. That'd be amazing to get him out of the league.

1.6 billion dollars

:eyepop:

• Locked thread