Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

There's another thing, that hopefully doesn't happen with every single boss.

When you deplete their Ki, and get your chance to slap them about, when they recover, they do an instant kill attack.

There's no indication that they're about to recover on the bar so you have to be basically afraid every time you punish them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

You can just hit light attack and ki pulse it whenever though? There's even a sword skill that lets you do a manual ki pulse wave attack.

Yeah, this is what I do. Just hit one light attack and your ki pulse is super easy to time.

Spuckuk posted:

There's another thing, that hopefully doesn't happen with every single boss.

When you deplete their Ki, and get your chance to slap them about, when they recover, they do an instant kill attack.

There's no indication that they're about to recover on the bar so you have to be basically afraid every time you punish them.

Just don't over-commit and dump all your Ki. I learned that on Hino-Enma and Nue, because both of them have some nasty wake-up attacks. However, those wake-up attacks, if you dodge them, leave them wide open. Get in there, do a combo or two, then move in time to avoid the wake-up attack, then punish that.

Only Nue's wake-up could really be an instant kill, though, unless you're at like half Life, then Hino-Enma's can kill you, too. But that doesn't really count as an instant kill. Nue's is nasty, though, it dumps like 1100 damage on you in two rapid-fire lightning bolts.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

There's no minimum limit to Purify. Just swing once and clear.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

Yodzilla posted:

So is there a clan y'all have joined?

I'm in kikkawa because it makes your elixirs clear all status effects and gives you a defense buff when you use an elixir. I might switch to tokugawa since it prevents you from getting 1 or 2 shotted and your elixirs heal more if you're near death. Both are good for bad players like me

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

There's no minimum limit to Purify. Just swing once and clear.

If you do a very small Ki pulse in relation to the potential Ki pulse you could do, it won't clear it. You need a substantial one. But if you just swing once and press R1 almost immediately, you'll get a good enough Ki pulse to clear. So it's more about making sure you time the Ki pulse right than making sure you recover a lot of Ki with it.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Wait, what are clans? :sweatdrop:

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

CJacobs posted:

I agree that having to do a perfect pulse to dispell yokai pools is too annoying/harsh. There's 3 levels of ki pulse: when you just do it whenever, when you almost get it, and when you nail it perfectly. I'd like it if they made the "almost perfect" ki pulse also count.

I dunno, it seems a fair trade-off. You can either avoid the pool or dispel it, and sometimes you have to do one or the other because of the circumstances of the fight. It makes fighting yokai have more levels of challenge and complexity than fighting ordinary humans. It basically reminds me of the reloading mechanic in Gears of War, but more integral to the gameplay.

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

MMF Freeway posted:

Wait, what are clans? :sweatdrop:

It's a weird metagame thing you'll unlock over the course of the story. You join a clan, earn glory, and try to earn more than other clans. Each clan has a different passive bonus and some of them are super strong.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Phoix posted:

It's a weird metagame thing you'll unlock over the course of the story. You join a clan, earn glory, and try to earn more than other clans. Each clan has a different passive bonus and some of them are super strong.

Does Glory you earn before joining a clan count? I've been getting some from fighting revenants but I didn't know what it did.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

8-Bit Scholar posted:

I dunno, it seems a fair trade-off. You can either avoid the pool or dispel it, and sometimes you have to do one or the other because of the circumstances of the fight. It makes fighting yokai have more levels of challenge and complexity than fighting ordinary humans. It basically reminds me of the reloading mechanic in Gears of War, but more integral to the gameplay.

I don't mind it as a gameplay mechanic, I just mean that the timing required is way too tight.

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

Harrow posted:

Does Glory you earn before joining a clan count? I've been getting some from fighting revenants but I didn't know what it did.

You can still spend it in the glory shop but it doesn't count towards the clan you join unfortunately.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

Harrow posted:

If you want to play as not-william better start fighting those revenants because the cheapest one is 5000

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Harrow posted:

Yeah, this is what I do. Just hit one light attack and your ki pulse is super easy to time.

Just don't over-commit and dump all your Ki. I learned that on Hino-Enma and Nue, because both of them have some nasty wake-up attacks. However, those wake-up attacks, if you dodge them, leave them wide open. Get in there, do a combo or two, then move in time to avoid the wake-up attack, then punish that.

Only Nue's wake-up could really be an instant kill, though, unless you're at like half Life, then Hino-Enma's can kill you, too. But that doesn't really count as an instant kill. Nue's is nasty, though, it dumps like 1100 damage on you in two rapid-fire lightning bolts.
Hino-Enma's wakup bite did like 80% of my health, so yeah, it can kill you, but its not a one-shot.

Harrow posted:

If you do a very small Ki pulse in relation to the potential Ki pulse you could do, it won't clear it. You need a substantial one. But if you just swing once and press R1 almost immediately, you'll get a good enough Ki pulse to clear. So it's more about making sure you time the Ki pulse right than making sure you recover a lot of Ki with it.

I don't think this is true. You just have to do a perfect ki pulse, and the timing is a little harder when it's a small amout of ki.

This game is so good, guys. I'm glad so many goons are playing it.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Bat bitch was one shotting me with combos until I switched from the shinobi armor. It really makes a huge difference.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

It's worth noting there's an onmyo magic passive skill that increases the range of your purification, so you can clear multiple close-together zones with one Ki pulse. Don't neglect your onmyo and ninjutsu skill points, even if you never use the active spells!

Snak posted:

I don't think this is true. You just have to do a perfect ki pulse, and the timing is a little harder when it's a small amout of ki.

Weird, I find that it's really easy to do when it's a small amount of Ki. If I want to clear a zone after a fight, I just do one light attack, tap R1 just a moment after, and it works. I don't think I've ever mistimed it, but I've definitely mistimed bigger Ki pulses.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Is the PS4 Pro upgrade on this noticeable without a 4k TV? This was the first game that really tried to take advantage of the new hardware, so I'm curious.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Harrow posted:

It's worth noting there's an onmyo magic passive skill that increases the range of your purification, so you can clear multiple close-together zones with one Ki pulse. Don't neglect your onmyo and ninjutsu skill points, even if you never use the active spells!

Weird, I find that it's really easy to do when it's a small amount of Ki. If I want to clear a zone after a fight, I just do one light attack, tap R1 just a moment after, and it works. I don't think I've ever mistimed it, but I've definitely mistimed bigger Ki pulses.

Well it's not objectively harder, it's just that you get a bugger lead up in the timing as the bar refills.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

If you're playing in Action Mode (and you should be), the difference is between 720p on a normal PS4 and 1080p on the Pro, so it makes a difference without a 4k TV. It also holds its framerate better, though Nioh on the normal PS4 still does better than, say, Bloodborne.

Nioh's the first game to make me want a PS4 Pro, because I don't have a 4k TV, but I'd love to see this game look sharper and run even smoother. It still looks good enough in 720p, though, or good enough that I'm not distracted by any graphical plainness.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Feb 9, 2017

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

I had a great moment last night. One of the side missions in the docks area ends with a few waves of enemies. I went in there after clearing the level and had no healing left. With almost no health left on the final enemy, I got a few hits in and it went up for its air attack, I ate spirit stones and activated my living weapon just in time....for it to land and slide into a hole in the dock. Mission Complete!

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

One thing that magic in Nioh has in common with magic in Dark Souls is that it threatens to trivialize any boss. Specifically: once you get the Sloth Talisman, you can make drat near any boss a total pushover with it, and you don't even need to invest in your Magic stat to do it.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
I'm in the second act now and killed the centipede boss and I'm noticing that none of the bosses are really wrecking my poo poo like Hino-Emma did. She must have pushed my poo poo in at least 2 or 3 dozen times before I had her down pat enough to actually put her down. With Nue or whatever the lightning dog is called it took me like 3 deaths to work out his attack pattern then I cold cocked him the next time. The Doppelganger that you fight in the bottom of the crypt I punked on the first go though I had to eat all my elixirs by the end of it. On the centepede boss I killed him the first time with basically no effort, it felt like a lukewarm mid-stage roadblock enemy with slightly more health than a proper boss.

Those tongue guys in that Act 2 substory gave me more grief than the last two bosses.

Tensokuu
May 21, 2010

Somehow, the boy just isn't very buoyant.
I managed to get lucky on my first dual sword drop: it has +5 water damage on it, which is great... but then I got an amulet like 20 minutes later that also increase water damage. Might now have to invest in onmyou magic for some water damage scrolls or whatever to enchant my sword for boss fights.

Almost beat the first boss on the first try; I just got a bit cocky and over-extended. Down to a tiny sliver of health and I ran out of Ki and he squished me into the floor. I'll get him tonight.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

DeathSandwich posted:

I'm in the second act now and killed the centipede boss and I'm noticing that none of the bosses are really wrecking my poo poo like Hino-Emma did. She must have pushed my poo poo in at least 2 or 3 dozen times before I had her down pat enough to actually put her down. With Nue or whatever the lightning dog is called it took me like 3 deaths to work out his attack pattern then I cold cocked him the next time. The Doppelganger that you fight in the bottom of the crypt I punked on the first go though I had to eat all my elixirs by the end of it. On the centepede boss I killed him the first time with basically no effort, it felt like a lukewarm mid-stage roadblock enemy with slightly more health than a proper boss.

Those tongue guys in that Act 2 substory gave me more grief than the last two bosses.

Yeah not all of the bosses are all that hard. The Centipede is more of a cool gimmick and in Act 3 the Spider Queen is easier than most yokai you fight. It's kinda weird.

And I don't remember the name of the clan I joined but it's the one where you get a luck boost. Hellyeah drops.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I have like 12 Ninjutsu points and the skill tree for that is real confusing. I already got the shuriken, the backstab, the barehanded parry, and the increase your elixir count. What else is good early

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!
What are you guys going with for prestige bonuses? I have a few and haven't decided yet. Part of me says % bonus are very good end game, other part of me says more loot is good.

Also spears in low stance are kind of hilarious, I won a 1v6 by just running around and doing sweeping attacks.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I have like 12 Ninjutsu points and the skill tree for that is real confusing. I already got the shuriken, the backstab, the barehanded parry, and the increase your elixir count. What else is good early

Are you planning on leveling Dexterity and using ninjutsu a lot? If not, just grab every passive skill you can get, maybe some of the medicine ones. Otherwise, the fire bombs and poison bombs are good as hell. Poison does a lot of damage when you have high ninjutsu power and lasts a really long time, and the fire bombs do good AoE damage, plus they set enemies on fire, which is one half of setting up Discord.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Thanks! Yeah I picked the kusarigama so I have been putting a lot of levels into Dex. Man, that weapon is cool and the high stance heavy has like the longest range

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Yeah, kusarigama own.

It's worth it to use some of your onmyo magic skill points to pick up the elemental weapon buff talismans. Even without investing in Magic, you can use those to build up elemental status effects on enemies. Combined with the burning from your fire bombs, you can Discord bosses and yokai pretty easily, which makes them pretty much helpless for as long as the Discord effect lasts. Kusarigama are good at building up status effects, too, because they hit so often.

I think ninjutsu also has poison and paralyze weapon buffs, so definitely grab those when you can. Oh, and Power Pills are pretty sweet.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Kusarigama have been carrying me so far, but I haven't landed on good secondary weapon to pair with them. Been mostly rolling with spears since Body seems like a nice stat to invest in.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Where are people seeing the time played? I like they show all the stats but I don't see that in-game?

It's helpful to know I've died 82 times on the first level, how am I doing

Edit: Make that 110, I learned the first phase of the boss but keep screwing up the distances on attacks in the second\

Edit: Finally did it! 111 deaths, 33851 Amrita lost

From the load game screen.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

MMF Freeway posted:

Kusarigama have been carrying me so far, but I haven't landed on good secondary weapon to pair with them. Been mostly rolling with spears since Body seems like a nice stat to invest in.

Spears are a good overall weapon, so that's not a bad choice. They're versatile like kusarigama are, and have that really nice range, too. Katanas can also be nice because Heart gives you extra Ki, but if you can Ki pulse (and especially if you're wearing light armor), you can get by with pretty close to base Ki.

I do like how Body and Heart don't really map to Dark Souls-style Vitality and Endurance as much as it looks like they might. Yes, Body gives you the most Life per point, and Heart is (I think?) the only stat that gives you a meaningful amount of Ki at all, but depending on your build, you can totally ignore both of them. Stamina and Strength both increase your Life as well (as does Heart), and you can do just fine with base Ki. If you're going for a heavy armor build, for example, your armor doesn't require Body like light and medium armors do, so you can just ignore it entirely unless you want to use spears.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E
https://www.twitch.tv/videos/120831653

Post game fight with two samurai bros at the same time. Don't watch if you want to be surprised or missed it in the thread and discord from before the game launch.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Belzac posted:

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/120831653

Post game fight with two samurai bros at the same time. Don't watch if you want to be surprised or missed it in the thread and discord from before the game launch.

How's NG+ so far? Different enough and/or challenging enough to be worth playing?

EDIT: Interesting. Comparing your video and the Fextralife video of the same fight, with you wearing (I think?) heavy armor and the Fextralife guy wearing light armor, it looks like you take something like 400 less damage from comparable attacks. If that's roughly the difference between light and heavy, I can see why some people say medium armor is pointless--either go all-in on heavy or all-in on light. In a fight like that, medium armor would let you survive, what, like one more hit? Not sure that's worth either investing a bunch in Stamina on a non-axe build or taking the B-rank Agility over A-rank.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Feb 9, 2017

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

https://youtu.be/ILraLYs5iF0

Check out this cool good thing that happened while I was sherpa to some rando.

Click that.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
For some reason I have it in my head that low stance = best blocking. Is that accurate at all? For some reason I think high stance is high damage, low block, mid stance is mid damage, mid block, low stance is low damage, high block. Am I totally off base here?

prussian advisor
Jan 15, 2007

The day you see a camera come into our courtroom, its going to roll over my dead body.
Is there any credible guide out there for doing soul matching at the blacksmith? No matter how I try to use it, the base weapon seems to just have the same traits it started with. Is there a way to "add" two weapons together to get a higher-level weapon, or is soul matching just to migrate over weapon traits that have the little equals sign next to them? Basically I'm looking for a way to keep current in my preferred weapon types (katana, spear) without gimping myself long term.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Thumbtacks posted:

For some reason I have it in my head that low stance = best blocking. Is that accurate at all? For some reason I think high stance is high damage, low block, mid stance is mid damage, mid block, low stance is low damage, high block. Am I totally off base here?

Nope, mid stance is best blocking. Low stance is best dodging. High stance is best damage.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Bombadilillo posted:

Click that.

Don't attack the poor wall Yokai! :(

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

prussian advisor posted:

Is there any credible guide out there for doing soul matching at the blacksmith? No matter how I try to use it, the base weapon seems to just have the same traits it started with. Is there a way to "add" two weapons together to get a higher-level weapon, or is soul matching just to migrate over weapon traits that have the little equals sign next to them? Basically I'm looking for a way to keep current in my preferred weapon types (katana, spear) without gimping myself long term.

It just brings the base weapon up to the other weapons level.

The stats might look like they go down slightly. But thats just the familiarity resetting. Keep high level white weapons to level your poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Bombadilillo posted:

Click that.

Don't attack the wall dudes! If you do the right type of gesture (blue, yellow, or red) at them, they give you treasure, bow, and go away. Same goes for chest mimics. They just want to be friends :smith: