Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
just applied for a job for which i hit maybe half the qualifications. people tell me 50% isn't that bad, is that true?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

depends almost entirely on who else is applying and what they truly need out of the position

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

yup. if you know nothing about the position it's worth sending it out if you maybe kind of meet the description and hit 25% or the requirements. worst thing that'll happen is a practice interview that you bomb.

if it's a referral then ignore the listing entirely because they wouldn't be referring you if you didn't qualify

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Rex-Goliath posted:

yup. if you know nothing about the position it's worth sending it out if you maybe kind of meet the description and hit 25% or the requirements. worst thing that'll happen is a practice interview that you bomb.

if it's a referral then ignore the listing entirely because they wouldn't be referring you if you didn't qualify

it's a goon referral. the poo poo i didn't know was hadoop, map-reduce, and python. i checked all the other boxes. i know what hadoop/map-reduce are so i assume i could probably pick it up. the challenge is really in how you apply them anyway.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

download the vm from cloudera and go through their tutorial using it https://www.cloudera.com/developers/get-started-with-hadoop-tutorial.html

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

it's a goon referral. the poo poo i didn't know was hadoop, map-reduce, and python. i checked all the other boxes. i know what hadoop/map-reduce are so i assume i could probably pick it up. the challenge is really in how you apply them anyway.

python is easy to pick up anyway as long as you're not expecting to memorize the standard library but then why would you?

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

hobbesmaster posted:

download the vm from cloudera and go through their tutorial using it https://www.cloudera.com/developers/get-started-with-hadoop-tutorial.html

thanks for this. i'll check it out. we use hadoop internally im pretty sure so its a skill that i could use to transfer to another team even if i don't score a sweet new gig.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

if you learned mumps then you can probably pick up python imo

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

cannot legally be sold as vodka
Just got invited to my first mostly programming job interview next week :yay:

I've been asked to prepare answers for about how I would approach a project for writing a new open source library.

This isn't something I really have experience with, so I would appreciate any links or advice people might have as to how you would scope out a project like this, deal with it being open sores and I guess more specifically I should go about actually implementing something so its a usable library, rather than just a bunch of scripts that do poo poo (which is basically all that I do at the moment).

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
meanwhile final approval for my transfer is now sitting in front of the president of the company so i am now completely powerless to harass anyone to move things along. it is really hard to be productive when your fate is literally in somebody else's hands.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

you have to have the president of the company personally sign off on a department transfer?

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

fart simpson posted:

you have to have the president of the company personally sign off on a department transfer?

this place is insane. the president of the company signs off on literally everything that affects budget. he had to personally sign off on all my tuition reimbursements too. there's 10,000 people here but they still act like it's a 100 person company.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

vodkat posted:

Just got invited to my first mostly programming job interview next week :yay:

I've been asked to prepare answers for about how I would approach a project for writing a new open source library.

This isn't something I really have experience with, so I would appreciate any links or advice people might have as to how you would scope out a project like this, deal with it being open sores and I guess more specifically I should go about actually implementing something so its a usable library, rather than just a bunch of scripts that do poo poo (which is basically all that I do at the moment).

http://www.aosabook.org/en/index.html

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

this place is insane. the president of the company signs off on literally everything that affects budget. he had to personally sign off on all my tuition reimbursements too. there's 10,000 people here but they still act like it's a 100 person company.

lol sounds like your president has control issues, maybe they should take a page from one of the many platitude filled business books they undoubtedly read

that or they're trying to emulate other control freaks

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

it seems like in a company as big as epic he wouldnt have time to do anything else, in which case he would basically just be a finance controller???

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

fart simpson posted:

it seems like in a company as big as epic he wouldnt have time to do anything else, in which case he would basically just be a finance controller???

honestly, is there anything wrong with this?

once you get to the C-suite the exact duties can be pretty permeable. sometimes the COO is the one who makes the strategic decisions, not a CEO. sometimes the CEO does financial controls, not the CFO. sometimes the CTO pulls the levers

and all this goes double for a private or closely-held company

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

fart simpson posted:

yet apparently he has time to fly all over the place doing business things. basically epic started as just the CEO, and then she hired the President to help her with the programming. 35 years later they are still the CEO and president and all the management directly under them are also people from the early years when it was a <100 people company. they seem completely unwilling to adapt to the fact that they're now an enormous corporate giant and it will probably catch up to them eventually.

Aquarium of Lies
Feb 5, 2005

sad cutie
:justtrans:

she/her
Taco Defender

fart simpson posted:

my last place was even more insane. we were bought out by a company that was bought out etc several times, or something. so what would happen is we'd have to get approval from our company, then our parent company, then our parent parent company, etc up like five levels

we would interview somebody and decide we liked them and it would take four weeks to actually get the offer approved. of course by then any good people already had an offer elsewhere

sometimes you could get an offer pre approved for like two weeks! then if you didn't actually interview somebody you liked in that time it would expire and you'd have to go through the process again

ugggh

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

lol if your interview to offer turnaround time is only four weeks, just lol

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

honestly, is there anything wrong with this?

once you get to the C-suite the exact duties can be pretty permeable. sometimes the COO is the one who makes the strategic decisions, not a CEO. sometimes the CEO does financial controls, not the CFO. sometimes the CTO pulls the levers

and all this goes double for a private or closely-held company

idk i guess. im 4 levels down from the Cs so idk what goes on up there

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Bloody posted:

yeah seriously. a few years back we wanted to make a real offer to one of our interns and we started the approval process 3 months before the end of her internship and we couldn't actually give her the formal offer until a month after her internship ended. it's even worse for normal hires.

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

Bloody posted:

my workplace is known to sometimes have horrendous turnaround time on offers (like 1.5 years awful)

they try to accelerate it a lot in some areas but its just awful how extreme it gets

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

what the

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
yeah a lot of that is fluctuations in funding as well

people will leave whatever job they have after that 1.5 year mark though so I guess they won't learn

Aquarium of Lies
Feb 5, 2005

sad cutie

she/her
Taco Defender
idk every time I've applied to a job turnaround was 1-2 weeks :shrug: all I know is everybody who we had as a first choice to hire always accepted an offer elsewhere before we even had ours ready to give them

either that or our interview process scared everybody off. that's possible too

Aquarium of Lies
Feb 5, 2005

sad cutie

she/her
Taco Defender
also I realize it wasn't clear but it was the same process for internal transfers and external hires

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

i talked to a recruiter and literally the next week he hosed off to be an account manager at yelp. i 've had a few interviews at places since thanks to some inside buddies and one of them didn't want to talk to me since i didn't have any experience with tdd and the other one was just a culture fit interview and the guy rambled on about scratch and sniff wallpaper and i probably said maybe a dozen words total and i had to ask my guy to beg hr with what was up (nothing, not a culture fit). and then i went into a spiral of depression. today i looked at linkedin jobs and the first one under entry level wanted a masters degree and 5 years experience to do jr java ecommerce stuff. i think i'd rather be a shadetree plumber at this point

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014
ive never gotten a job where they didnt make an offer the day after (or even the same day)

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

Maximum Leader posted:

ive never gotten a job where they didnt make an offer the day after (or even the same day)

same and it's not like i go for really difficult jobs, but the imposter syndrome has gotten worse over the years

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

every job i've gotten had two interviews: one to make sure i wasn't an idiot, and one to make sure i wasn't an rear end in a top hat

separate days though

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

Maximum Leader posted:

fastest turnaround i've has was at my current job. internal recruiter contacted me on a friday, had in-person interview the following friday, and an offer on monday.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Bloody posted:

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

except for my first job, every job ive had since has been due to cronyism

but even when the job is essentially guaranteed upfront its always taken 1+ months for the bureaucracy of HR and poo poo to go forward

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
I had an interview on Monday. yesterday morning the recruiter notified me that they want to make an offer. now we get to have the compensation talk.

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

hifi posted:

i talked to a recruiter and literally the next week he hosed off to be an account manager at yelp. i 've had a few interviews at places since thanks to some inside buddies and one of them didn't want to talk to me since i didn't have any experience with tdd and the other one was just a culture fit interview and the guy rambled on about scratch and sniff wallpaper and i probably said maybe a dozen words total and i had to ask my guy to beg hr with what was up (nothing, not a culture fit). and then i went into a spiral of depression. today i looked at linkedin jobs and the first one under entry level wanted a masters degree and 5 years experience to do jr java ecommerce stuff. i think i'd rather be a shadetree plumber at this point

dont give up hope just shotgun applications to literally every company that exists in whatever field you want to work on

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

mishaq posted:

except for my first job, every job ive had since has been due to cronyism

but even when the job is essentially guaranteed upfront its always taken 1+ months for the bureaucracy of HR and poo poo to go forward

every job ive had due to applying through the company's website

lol if you have social skills and network with people like some sort of self-pimp

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

poty posted:

lol if you have social skills and network with people like some sort of self-pimp

they come to me :shrug:

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
when did "reaching out to old coworkers when you need a new job" become self-pimping?

also,

mishaq posted:

they come to me :shrug:

same

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I got hired onto my current job of 8.5 years for C++ and that's primarily what I've been doing

For the last ~3 years I've done a few side projects in C#, a couple small WPF/MVVM apps. Probably not enough to claim expertise but enough to be confident that I can look up answers

How would I put that on my CV or resume or whatever it is now to give myself the best outlook for a C# job

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Feb 9, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

whatever the job requirements are looking for

• Locked thread