Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Verizon has announced they will be the exclusive source for a new Wear 2.0 watch they call Wear24.

It seems like it will have similar innards to the LG Watch Sport but with a less... sport... appearance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

wolrah posted:

Yikes.

Bottom is a Moto 360 Gen2 42mm, image stolen from Ars.

That too. It's seemingly necessary for cellular, but that's one more good reason why I don't want cellular in my watch.

jesus that thing is a tank and ugly to boot

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

wolrah posted:

Yikes.

Urbane 2 is probably the same thickness but they did a great job of hiding it with clever design. This one... Not so much.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

Urbane 2 is probably the same thickness but they did a great job of hiding it with clever design. This one... Not so much.

I have to say the Urbane 2nd looks way better than this watch, I wish they kept a similar case and band design.

BlackFrost
Feb 6, 2008

Have you figured it out yet?
Well. ...Hm. I was waiting on these watches before deciding to take the plunge on Android Wear. The Sport looks way too thick and apparently has very poo poo battery life. The Style doesn't look too bad but I'd like to utilize the NFC functionality, and the HR Sensor isn't bad either.

Are there any Android Wear watches that offer those features that aren't *quite* that thick, or that at least last a full day on battery? LTE Connectivity isn't necessary but if it's the only option then I'll take it. I've heard the Huawei watches are supposed to be pretty good?

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

BlackFrost posted:

Well. ...Hm. I was waiting on these watches before deciding to take the plunge on Android Wear. The Sport looks way too thick and apparently has very poo poo battery life. The Style doesn't look too bad but I'd like to utilize the NFC functionality, and the HR Sensor isn't bad either.

Are there any Android Wear watches that offer those features that aren't *quite* that thick, or that at least last a full day on battery? LTE Connectivity isn't necessary but if it's the only option then I'll take it. I've heard the Huawei watches are supposed to be pretty good?

Sorry no, the Watch Sport is the first and only Android Wear device with NFC / Android Pay right now.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Rastor posted:

Sorry no, the Watch Sport is the first and only Android Wear device with NFC / Android Pay right now.

No, there is another...

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

bull3964 posted:

No, there is another...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b49dfTUFFZQ

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

wolrah posted:

Yikes.

That too. It's seemingly necessary for cellular, but that's one more good reason why I don't want cellular in my watch.

BlackFrost
Feb 6, 2008

Rastor posted:

Thought that might be the case. And I don't have Verizon so that's out. Bummer, that. My bank doesn't currently support Android Pay but if they ever do (they've got Samsung and Apple Pay so maybe soon??) I'd like to be able to pay from the watch, it seems super convenient. Maybe I'll just grab the LG Style for now and grab something with NFC down the line if my bank ever gets on board.

Any decent watches with an HR Sensor? Are those even worthwhile? I've heard their accuracy is a bit finicky. Otherwise I'll just grab the Style and call it a day. They're only $249 which seems okay for a smartwatch.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I'm still waiting for the avalanche of places to accept NFC payments to materialize before I worry about having NFC on a watch.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Rastor posted:

Urbane second edition has NFC and will get Wear 2.0/Pay. It's basically the same watch, minus the rotating crown.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

bull3964 posted:

I'm still waiting for the avalanche of places to accept NFC payments to materialize before I worry about having NFC on a watch.
In the UK contactless payments are ubiquitous so I too would like to have that option, though in reality it looks kind of awkward in a lot of cases.

Have been waiting for these and I like chunky watches but that thing is a monster and the strap looks uncomfortable. Combined with mediocre reports on battery life I don't think this is the one for me. And the price isn't ideal either, feels like I'd be paying for a cell radio and GPS that I have no use for.

I guess my OG 360 with eight hour battery lives on, for now.

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

Cellular radio for the countries that have cell providers offer multiple SIM cards for one account (AFAIK, US only)

nfc for countries that have widely accepted contactless payments (europe/australia).

And thickness for everybody else (canada?)

Nice.

Dr Jankenstein
Aug 6, 2009

Hold the newsreader's nose squarely, waiter, or friendly milk will countermand my trousers.

bull3964 posted:

I'll wait for android pay to support my credit union first.

I've tried. Lord have I tried, since I broke the wallet part of my wallet phone case just from having 3 cards, my bus pass and some cash in there.

That said, who's tried any of the fossil hybrid watches? I'm torn. I really want the Nixon but it is gigantic on my tiny bird wrists

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
How does one update their watch to 2.0? I got the updated app on my phone, but my 360 v2 still says it's up to date with 1.5.something.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

hooah posted:

How does one update their watch to 2.0? I got the updated app on my phone, but my 360 v2 still says it's up to date with 1.5.something.

If you don't have the Huawei Watch or LG Urbane second edition, you wait weeks or months for your manufacturer to roll out the update.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Oh fantastic.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Google actually has control over the update process for Android wear. But yeah, updates are staged.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

And the from my experience they aren't quick about it. Of course there's only been one major update since the 360v2 was released but I do remember it was a couple weeks after everyone else got theirs.

BlackFrost
Feb 6, 2008

What's the word on the Urbane? Worth getting?

E: actually it seems Huawei is announcing their next lineup at the end of this month? I'm gonna wait for that before making any decisions.

BlackFrost fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Feb 9, 2017

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

bull3964 posted:

Even places that are supposed to accept it, like subway, almost never work for me.

The only place I've been able to use android pay at really has been walgreens.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I can use it at Best Buy, Whole Foods, and Trader Joe's. That's about it. Out of all of them, Trader Joe's sees the most frequent visits, but even then we're talking maybe once a month

Until Target and my regional grocery chain support it, it will be a non-factor for me since that's where 95% of my in store purchases are.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Feb 9, 2017

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Nitrousoxide posted:

Even places that are supposed to accept it, like subway, almost never work for me.

The only place I've been able to use android pay at really has been walgreens.

Walgreen's is the only place I've ever used it too. I just don't see the point, pretty much every time the person working the register has no idea how it's supposed to work and even if they did why would I do it? Turns out my card works every time without any confusion on anyone's part. If anyone is waiting behind you, you're an rear end in a top hat for trying to do it because that's when you just know it's going to not work.

The only time I used it was to get that Best Buy money and since then it's only ever been used for reward cards (also only at Walgreen's).

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

In Canada since there's still no Android Pay, my bank has their own app with NFC credit card payment. It tends to crash a little too often but still works surprisingly well. Seeing as most places here are pretty modern with payment methods (chip/pin is default and 90% of places take tap) I've been able to use it everywhere. Except for my favourite drat sushi place which is still chip/pin :(

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

CLAM DOWN posted:

In Canada since there's still no Android Pay, my bank has their own app with NFC credit card payment. It tends to crash a little too often but still works surprisingly well. Seeing as most places here are pretty modern with payment methods (chip/pin is default and 90% of places take tap) I've been able to use it everywhere. Except for my favourite drat sushi place which is still chip/pin :(

I've seen a lot of card machines that have a note taped on that says "no tap" or "no tap for purchases over $100." It's weird that we're so far behind on this considering we jumped on chip and pin so early and whole heartedly.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

The old Google wallet implementation worked with all NFC terminals. Google pay actually works with far less than that did.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

LastInLine posted:

Walgreen's is the only place I've ever used it too. I just don't see the point, pretty much every time the person working the register has no idea how it's supposed to work and even if they did why would I do it?
This is mindblowing. How has America hosed this up? You just tap your phone on the regular payment terminal instead of tapping or inserting your card, the employee doesn't even have to know or care what you did, and it takes one second.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Tunga posted:

This is mindblowing. How has America hosed this up? You just tap your phone on the regular payment terminal instead of tapping or inserting your card, the employee doesn't even have to know or care what you did, and it takes one second.

In the US, there's a staggering number of pay terminals with the wireless symbol on them that aren't activated or working properly. One time I tapped my phone on one and it totally hosed up the transaction. I would looooove if they activated this type of payment on gas pumps, considering skimming is running rampant on those.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Nitrousoxide posted:

The old Google wallet implementation worked with all NFC terminals. Google pay actually works with far less than that did.

My problem isn't with which NFC terminals it works with.

My problem is the utter lack of NFC terminals in general.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Tunga posted:

Does Google pay work everywhere in Europe (or elsewhere) where regular cards work wirelessly? That's almost everywhere so that'd be pretty cool.

With the new software and 2nd gen watches I'm re-considering picking something up while saving for a real watch. I think I'd really only need WiFi, NFC and maybe GPS, no other bullshit so hopefully something like that will pop up soon.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

More Android Pay pain:

Wells Fargo and Citibank cards can be used on a phone, but not on Android Wear.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

mobby_6kl posted:

Does Google pay work everywhere in Europe (or elsewhere) where regular cards work wirelessly? That's almost everywhere so that'd be pretty cool.
Yes, Android Pay worked immediately and universally on launch day on every single contactless card machine in the UK because the reader just thinks it is a contactless card. I would assume this is true for other countries as well.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
So long as your bank supports it.

My bank doesn't, but their own app works fine anyway so it's never bothered me

e. Just bought a cheap as Zenwatch 2 to replace my sadly broken original 360. I like the extra speed but I'm going to miss the styling of the 360 and inexplicably the ZW2 doesn't have a light sensor. Oh well I guess AMOLED means I can use a mostly dark face and crank the brightness anyway.

dissss fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Feb 10, 2017

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Huawei will be announcing their next Wear device at MWC. Here's to hoping it has a round screen and with an inbuilt ambient light sensor. They mention it's going to have a 1000mAh battery so I'm guessing it will be the size of those arm thingies quarterbacks use to keep track of plays.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Either that or it uses flexible battery tech to stick the battery in the strap.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

LastInLine posted:

Huawei will be announcing their next Wear device at MWC. Here's to hoping it has a round screen and with an inbuilt ambient light sensor. They mention it's going to have a 1000mAh battery so I'm guessing it will be the size of those arm thingies quarterbacks use to keep track of plays.
This is a misunderstanding. The 1000mAh is in reference to some battery packs that the guy was giving away to people who retweeted (or whatever the equivalent is on Weibo).

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

That makes a lot more sense. I can't imagine the need for more battery than my Moto 360/2 has anyway (unless of course they add cellular and GPS for some dumb reason). I never have less than 70% after a day's use with ambient on.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

LastInLine posted:

That makes a lot more sense. I can't imagine the need for more battery than my Moto 360/2 has anyway (unless of course they add cellular and GPS for some dumb reason). I never have less than 70% after a day's use with ambient on.

Man, I must have bad luck with batteries, or I use my devices a lot harder than most people. I have to charge my regular Pixel midday, and my 360/2 is usually around 30% at the end of the day (14 hours).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

So you get like 500 notifications a minute or something?

My Moto 360 2 has been off charge for 6 hours and is at 82% battery. Yes, I have ambient on.