Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

doctor 7 posted:

So I haven't beat Throne Watcher or Defender but I have got the Giant's Kinship. If I go now I chain fight those two, then Aldia, then Nashandra. After I go through that gauntlet do I have time to do all the DLC and final poo poo before I trigger the ending?

Once you kill Aldia you will be stuck in the throne room until you trigger the ending.

That said, that also doesn't matter, because Dark Souls 2 doesn't automatically push you into NG+. You have to actively choose to move on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

Ah OK, so I am free to fight my way through to the end. Choose the ending, view the credits then when I resume my character I am back at Majula to finish up DLC, items, etc. until I select NG+ from what?

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

doctor 7 posted:

Ah OK, so I am free to fight my way through to the end. Choose the ending, view the credits then when I resume my character I am back at Majula to finish up DLC, items, etc. until I select NG+ from what?

When you sit down at a bonfire there should be a new option along the lines of, "Begin new journey" that'll drop you in NG+.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

doctor 7 posted:

That'd be a menu option on the Majula bonfire.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

Cool, thanks very much chaps.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Gave up on killing Vendrick with the bow and just used a Heide spear. What happens if you homeward bone during the Aldia fight?

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Doublepostin Man the Aldia fight would be easy and boring if I wasn't poo poo at dodging his fireballs- the 5 at once I get hit by the followups and the big one seems to get me with AoE. I've always been bad at dodgin the spells that fire 5 projectiles at once, is there a trick to it?

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

StashAugustine posted:

Doublepostin Man the Aldia fight would be easy and boring if I wasn't poo poo at dodging his fireballs- the 5 at once I get hit by the followups and the big one seems to get me with AoE. I've always been bad at dodgin the spells that fire 5 projectiles at once, is there a trick to it?

Break lock and run. Or don't even break lock, but definitely run. Preferably in a direction perpendicular to where the projectiles are coming from. Dodging will get you hit.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Both fireball spells can be outrun. For the big one, unload a combo on Aldia, let your stamina bar refresh, then start running. (The timing isn't exact.) For the small ones, start strafing when he launches the first and continue this through the set.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

For the five balls they travel a weird rate. So slow dodging becomes a crap shoot. However you can sprint to avoid them. I usually sprint left or right then forward after the second and third balls start to curve hard following you.

For the big ball I started out by cheating and just shield blocked it. With the King's Shield +5 it doesn't hit very hard. Really that is the only attack of his that is a bit sketchy to avoid damage from so I just take the blocked hit and Estus up.

However, I'm trying to get more Sunlight medals and at my soul level King's Gate Bonfire is the place to be so I can dodge it reliably now. You just have to side strafe and dodge at the last possible second (so basically any dodge really). It's just like the fireballs it has a weird speed.

doctor 7 fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Feb 8, 2017

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Well I'm using a bow so time to git gud I guess

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
So on a dex build I got Alonne's Sword and I feel...overwhelmed. The extra range doesn't seem to be that valuable given how slowly it strikes, and while the seppuku animation is fantastic - especially for depriving people of a kill :v: - its attached buff doesn't feel like it lasts long enough to be worth that risk.

Blacksteel Katana seems to do the same damage, same poise but also hits quicker and doesn't drain stamina as quickly. Feel like I'm missing something.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
yeah, youre missing the washing pole.

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.
I'm on my third playthrough (beat it at launch, reinstalled when the first DLC came out, now doing SotFS edition), and finally got the Sea Bow. In my first two runs I spent hours depopulating No-Man's Wharf and came up empty-handed. This time it dropped from the second sailor.

It's not like I couldn't get by with another bow. I just thought the model looked cool so I wanted to pick it up, and the longer it eluded me the more I wanted the stupid thing.

beepstreet
Feb 7, 2005

Anyone know if there are more people playing SOTFS on PC or PS4?

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
PS4 seems really quiet, FWIW. Got invaded and summoned a total of five times in 150 levels.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

poptart_fairy posted:

So on a dex build I got Alonne's Sword and I feel...overwhelmed. The extra range doesn't seem to be that valuable given how slowly it strikes, and while the seppuku animation is fantastic - especially for depriving people of a kill :v: - its attached buff doesn't feel like it lasts long enough to be worth that risk.

Blacksteel Katana seems to do the same damage, same poise but also hits quicker and doesn't drain stamina as quickly. Feel like I'm missing something.
It's meant to be used less as a sword and more as a polearm, given that it's technically a nagamaki. So while the range is useful, the real benefit comes in exploiting the sweeping strikes or the sweet spot. (I'm not certain where the sweet spot is, but I know that it exists.) Still, it's an oddball weapon.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

beepstreet posted:

Anyone know if there are more people playing SOTFS on PC or PS4?

PC seems very active, just going by the streams I've watched and the host getting invaded all the time.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

NGDBSS posted:

It's meant to be used less as a sword and more as a polearm, given that it's technically a nagamaki. So while the range is useful, the real benefit comes in exploiting the sweeping strikes or the sweet spot. (I'm not certain where the sweet spot is, but I know that it exists.) Still, it's an oddball weapon.

Makes sense. Can't really find a fit for, so put the thing in storage. A shame as the Allonne fight is amazing.

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

So I beat the first game a few days ago, and now I'm moving on into this one! I'm planning a Sorcerer build, is there anything I need to know about that before getting started?

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Get a pure physical damage weapon before you move to the DLC zones. Use a strike weapon on Iron Keep.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

So I beat the first game a few days ago, and now I'm moving on into this one! I'm planning a Sorcerer build, is there anything I need to know about that before getting started?

Your dodge roll is now affected by your Agility (AGL) stat, which you improve by raising either your Attunement (weak effect) or your Adaptability (strong effect). More AGL gives you longer invincibility when you dodge roll, it's pretty important. A good number to shoot for is 99 AGL, which gives you 12 iframes. For comparison, in Dark souls 1 the fast roll was 13 iframes and the medium roll was 11 iframes.

Unless you go so heavy as to be fat rolling, your armor encumbrance % no longer affects your dodge.

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Guillermus posted:

Get a pure physical damage weapon before you move to the DLC zones. Use a strike weapon on Iron Keep.

Anything you'd recommend? Is the Moonlight Greatsword back, or would an upgraded rapier or estoc be better?

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

Anything you'd recommend? Is the Moonlight Greatsword back, or would an upgraded rapier or estoc be better?

If you make a sorcerer, the rapier has little stat requeriments and goes a long way with its dps output. The estoc has better STR scaling than DEX on this game compared to DS1 and DS3. For a strike weapon a plain mace does great (use magic weapon on it to completely destroy stuff in Iron Keep). Sorcery is good enough for the entire game but the DLCs and in there with any decent weapon uninfused you'll do fine.

Trust and strike damage are king on this game so take that in mind when you aren't casting and have to swing a weapon. I beat NG and NG+ on my sorcerer having a staff offhand and a mace/rapier mainhand. Sometimes I used a silverback spear (even if it's better for a hexer) for its moveset.

Guillermus fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Feb 10, 2017

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
Another thing to remember is that in DS2 counter damage isn't just for thrust weapons; every weapon has its own counter damage score, from 100 to 160. So sometimes a weapon that doesn't appear quite as strong when comparing straight AR will do a lot more damage in practice because a lot of your hits will get a 40-50% bonus.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Boogalo posted:

PC seems very active, just going by the streams I've watched and the host getting invaded all the time.

Really? Strange. I would think most are on DS3 now.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Mzbundifund posted:

Unless you go so heavy as to be fat rolling, your armor encumbrance % no longer affects your dodge
's number of iframes, but being lighter makes your roll longer. This can be both good and bad actually, I often find myself preferring the roll at around 50% weight because it doesn't send me too far from the enemy i'm trying to fight.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Amppelix posted:

's number of iframes, but being lighter makes your roll longer. This can be both good and bad actually, I often find myself preferring the roll at around 50% weight because it doesn't send me too far from the enemy i'm trying to fight.

I used to switch to heavier armor for that reason whenever I got matched up on the rope bridge in the coliseum. Having a fast roll meant accidentally rolling off the bridge 90% of the time.

Buried alive
Jun 8, 2009

StashAugustine posted:

For the small ones I find that running in a wide-ish circle once they start works. For the big one the trick is to realize it has no tracking, but huge AOE. This means if you have sufficient distance you can run left or right (wherever you have space) and dodge it just fine. If you don't have enough distance you'll get hit because you're run speed doesn't put you outside the AOE by the time it hits. Exactly how much distance you need is going to be a function of your run speed, which is also a function of your equip burden.

Or, you know, grym greatshield. Whatever.

Buried alive fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Feb 11, 2017

Soul Reaver
Mar 8, 2009

in retrospect the old redtext was a little over the top, I think I was in a bad mood that day. it appears you've learned your lesson about slagging our gods and masters at beamdog but I'm still going to leave this av up because i think its funny

god bless

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

A couple other differences:

Parrying timing seems all sorts of weird in comparison to DS1. I used to be able to parry almost everything, but in DS2 I can only parry a few rare enemies. If you want to parry, use a Buckler or some similar parry-specific shield, otherwise you'll probably have a hard time.

You get a lot more castings of spells, but spells are a bit weaker overall. It more or less evens out.

You can now infuse and upgrade catalysts, which will make your spells more powerful. Always upgrade your catalyst to the max level you can and if you're only using Sorceries (not hexes) with it, infuse it with a Faintstone to give it a magic infusion and boost the damage further.

Soul Reaver fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Feb 13, 2017

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

I successfully parried once in DS2 after about 30 tries. I parried the poo poo out of Dark Souls. I can see changes made to DS2 and why but they just ruined parries for me entirely.

I'm guessing they know they hosed it up too because Dark Souls 3 I can parry again, thank gently caress.

hampig
Feb 11, 2004
...curioser and curioser...
They added startup frames to parries and gave off-hands different parry windows. The first means you have less time to react across the board, the second means that you should use a dedicated parrying tool if you want more reliable parries. Easy parrying and 100% block are now more or less mutually exclusive. This all carried over to DS3.

The real killer is that the reward for a successful parry is just not as high in DS2 (until NG+), but good thing they changed this back in 3.

Also the best defensive technique in DS2 is probably to equip the stone ring and hit things a bunch before they hit you. Bosses and big slow enemies excepted, of course.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Mzbundifund posted:

Your dodge roll is now affected by your Agility (AGL) stat, which you improve by raising either your Attunement (weak effect) or your Adaptability (strong effect). More AGL gives you longer invincibility when you dodge roll, it's pretty important. A good number to shoot for is 99 AGL, which gives you 12 iframes. For comparison, in Dark souls 1 the fast roll was 13 iframes and the medium roll was 11 iframes.

Unless you go so heavy as to be fat rolling, your armor encumbrance % no longer affects your dodge.

This really is key. My first two runs I barely made it through the first few areas, this third play through I went hard on the AGL and am cruising now.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

IIRC there's a difference in netcode between DS1 and DS2 that made 0-frame parries really loving broke, which was why the Monastery Scimitar was so good.

Blasphemeral
Jul 26, 2012

Three mongrel men in exchange for a party member? I found that one in the Faustian Bargain Bin.

Blasphemeral posted:

I just started playing this game, after being a huge From software fan since the King's Field franchise, through Eternal Ring through Demon's and Dark Souls 1.

After playing it for about 5 hours, I'm pretty sure I don't like it very much.

The ambiance is still solid From software dire solitude, but the character movement, camera and health systems seem really poorly designed. And this is after just finishing my second playthrough of DS1 two weeks ago, so it's not that I'm rusty or anything.

Am I the only one who feels this way? Does it get better?

After struggling with this title for two weeks, I've decided to put it down. I love the levels, NPCs and ambiance--all very classic From. But the gameplay and control-handling are just too poorly designed. It's especially egregious after playing Ds1 just a couple weeks beforehand.

This will be the first From RPG that I've put down, and it hurts a bit to do it, but I will be happier overall. What wasted potential.
I'll probably grab Ds3 when it goes on sale next.

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Well, I'm having fun. Just killed the Covetous Demon, on my way into the keep

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Blasphemeral posted:

After struggling with this title for two weeks, I've decided to put it down. I love the levels, NPCs and ambiance--all very classic From. But the gameplay and control-handling are just too poorly designed. It's especially egregious after playing Ds1 just a couple weeks beforehand.

This will be the first From RPG that I've put down, and it hurts a bit to do it, but I will be happier overall. What wasted potential.
I'll probably grab Ds3 when it goes on sale next.

Are you playing the OG or Scholar? I was in the same boat where I did a clear of Bloodborne, DS3 and then picked this up and it was hard for me to get into. I put it down for almost year and am currently working my way through it and enjoying it a lot more. I think it pays to take a break otherwise you start feeling frustration that they don't play the same even though they should.

Blasphemeral
Jul 26, 2012

Three mongrel men in exchange for a party member? I found that one in the Faustian Bargain Bin.

^burtle posted:

Are you playing the OG or Scholar? I was in the same boat where I did a clear of Bloodborne, DS3 and then picked this up and it was hard for me to get into. I put it down for almost year and am currently working my way through it and enjoying it a lot more. I think it pays to take a break otherwise you start feeling frustration that they don't play the same even though they should.

Scholar; I never played it without. I tend to like being a few years behind in gaming, because it means I get all the patches and all the sales.

monny
Oct 20, 2008

dollar dollar bill, y'all
I got to throne watcher/defender the other day, realised I'd stopped enjoying the game tens of hours ago, and uninstalled that poo poo pronto. Felt good :frogc00l:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

How do I kill Armorer Dennis as a sorcerer? I just want to go into the Iron Keep, what's his problem