Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

david carmichael posted:

His resting heart rate was 34 BPM, which iirc is freakish even among "actual athletes", not just MMA guys

mine is 36. under 30 has been observed. even supposed fraud lance armstrong had 32

edit: sure its low but there are people who dont even train who have heart rates in the 30s, its partly genetic and not necessarily indicative of fitness

I.N.R.I fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Feb 9, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Triticum Guzzler posted:

If Conor never fights Aldo again it would be a tragic waste

agreed. i want to see it soooo bad

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

Triticum Guzzler posted:

Same, I hope they can make it happen at 155 someday.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

Triticum Guzzler posted:

We're in luck, it looks like there's an event June 17 that they're targeting for the rematch.

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT
I'd like to see Conor starch Aldo again as well

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
Wait was his bpm like post fight or during pre fight weigh ins because if it's pre fight loving lol you guys that's some tinfoil poo poo

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

david carmichael posted:

His resting heart rate was 34 BPM, which iirc is freakish even among "actual athletes", not just MMA guys

I sit next to a guy who rides to and from work every day (about 80km total) and sometimes rides for fun on weekends who has a resting heart rate of 34. He was in hospital to get his gallbladder taken out last year and the "poo poo this guy is dying of heart failure" alarm kept going off. Resting heart rate isn't indicative of drug use

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
One thing that is indicative of drug use is being a top level MMA fighter, iirc.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

I.N.R.I posted:

mine is 36. under 30 has been observed. even supposed fraud lance armstrong had 32

So 2 alleged EPO dudes have similarly low resting heart rates? Wowzers

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
I am a huge aldo fan and I don't think he has anything at all for conor. I originally thought that first fight was a fluke but Conor just loving destroys people and I don't think anyone at FW can handle the fighter he is now. He's much much better now than he was when he became FW champ which is a scary thought. Pre loss Conor is not the same guy we're dealing with today.

I think aldo remains FW champ for several defenses.

Gay Horney fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Feb 9, 2017

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
Conor pre aldo fight: not that good actually
Conor now: went 1/1 against nate Diaz at catchweight, beat alleged strikeforce fighter Eddie Alvarez, clearly the best fighter in the world, levels beyond a bum like Jose Aldo.

Work Friend Keven fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Feb 9, 2017

Lord Waffle Beard
Dec 7, 2013
Just saw that on Feb 19 Hector Lombard is fighting Johny Hendricks

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT
Cool, then they can rematch in WSOF.

Lord Waffle Beard
Dec 7, 2013

Detroit_Dogg posted:

Cool, then they can rematch in WSOF.

Don't disrespect Bigg Rigg

Lord Waffle Beard
Dec 7, 2013
Bigg rigg got robbed by Lawler, then got screwed by the ufc

Lord Waffle Beard
Dec 7, 2013
Also robbed by GSP

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
I believe that the difference between the highest level fighters is a difference of mentality, luck, and fractions of a second. Even if Conor beats Aldo in 9 out of 10 theoretical fights I would like to see it. How many of those theoretical fights would he have won against Nate Diaz?

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I am not sure that is true because some fighters are just the perfect counter to another equally good fighter or they gameplanned and prepared far better.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
I feel like I factored that into my argument what with the mentality and fractions of a second stipulation, but yes I agree with your statement as well.

Lord Waffle Beard
Dec 7, 2013
I still say aldo wins that fight more.times than not, fights that end that quickly are more about luck than who is more skilled.

JDS destroyed Cain in 10 seconds then got wrecked the next two times they fought

Lord Waffle Beard
Dec 7, 2013
The other argument is that Aldo got mind gamed by Conor, came out mad and aggressive and got punished for it, and maybe he won't be able to control his emotions and it will happen again

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

LobsterMobster posted:

it doesnt mean anything

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

EmmyOk posted:

I am not sure that is true because some fighters are just the perfect counter to another equally good fighter or they gameplanned and prepared far better.

In the case of Conor vs Aldo, Aldo has all the defensive skills and discipline to make it a great fight.

Conor would have to be the favorite in a rematch at 155 based on the last fight, but I think it would be a really great rematch and is up there with all the great match ups Conor is not currently thinking of booking as he pursues that gigantic Floyd Mayweather payday.

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Lord Waffle Beard posted:

Just saw that on Feb 19 Hector Lombard is fighting Johny Hendricks

Hope bigg rigg kills him

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Skip My Posts posted:

Hope bigg rigg kills him

agreed with both you and everything LWB said about bigg rigg.

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

Conor probably wins the rematch because his arms are 9 feet long and he's left handed (2 most important traits in MMA striking). However I disagree with all of the following:
1. That Conor "mind gamed" Jose Aldo
2. That Conor has improved his game in any meaningful or noticeable way since the aldo fight, with the exception of no longer publicizing his games of touch butt in the park
3. That the best featherweight in MMA history has "nothing for" Conor McGregor.
4. That the secret isn't real. It clearly is, CF mcgregor getting to fight alverez for the title instead of RDA.

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

Lord Waffle Beard posted:

The other argument is that Aldo got mind gamed by Conor, came out mad and aggressive and got punished for it, and maybe he won't be able to control his emotions and it will happen again

I mean, it's all speculation but I wonder how much of Aldo being the 10 year undefeated champ and getting relentlessly disrespected by a relative upstart in Conor for a year straight factored into that fight, and maybe he can come in calmer and more focused now that the win streak is dead.

In a hypothetical rematch that will probably never happen unless Conor goes on a losing streak that is.

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

Regardless, all this is pointless to speculate about or discuss, as Conor's next fight will be against Tyron Woodly.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries

manyak posted:

Saying that Bisping only beat Rockhold because Rockhold was "stupid" is stupid. He was a bit careless but he didnt do anything drastically different than what he always does, he has a really limited striking game that he gets away with because he hits hard and is a southpaw who can kick, Bisping gameplanned well for him (remember it was on like 2 weeks notice also) and exploited his boxing, if they rematched right now the onus would be on Rockhold this time to make some changes and the odds would probably be about even

I think he was more than a bit careless, he looked as uncaring and disrespectful as my pro boxer friends do against me during sparring when they know full well I can't hit them with poo poo due to their seemingly psychic powers.

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

carla esparza has money problems? you don't say?

https://www.instagram.com/p/xfI5OVEur8/

i hope randa beats her up real bad

She was very nasty to Randa so yea, agree with you here, watching her get destroyed against JC was a lot less painful because of what a nasty person she came across as on TUF. Very much a bully.

Work Friend Keven posted:

One thing that is indicative of drug use is being a top level MMA fighter, iirc.

Correct.

Source; me

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008

3. That the best featherweight in MMA history has "nothing for" Conor McGregor.

Conor McGregor has nothing for Conor McGregor.

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010

kimbo305 posted:

TKZ's brawling definitely held up, and the counterwrestling was solid, but his attempt at head movement and movement in general wasn't really gelled.
The whole cocking his head to the outside and just keeping it there would be death against someone like McGregor. Not enough data to say where his chin is at now.

Bermudez landed a lot of clean strikes on him.

Part of the reason I was really happy to see TKZ return successfully to the UFC is I was worried that age would affect him worse than some other fighters, because he's so totally reliant on physical traits of durability and quick reactions. It makes him an incredibly fun fighter but it won't age well. He has heavy hands, good timing, and submissions, but he's not technical with either his striking or his wrestling. He moves forward, trusts his chin, and drags more technical fighters into a chaotic brawl where he can time a heavy counterpunch or a reactive takedown. At some point his chin or his timing, or both, will go.

I would also say that are a few top featherweights with a clear answer to him. Aldo or Frankie would just outclass him standing. Frankie could also spend the fight on top of him. Stephens might be the bottom-line worst opponent at 145, because I don't think anybody can just absorb what he throws. McGregor isn't going to fight at FW ever again, but if he did I say he'd also KO the Zombie. The really interesting fights are guys who will throw down with him like Cub, Holloway, or Lamas. Those are tough fights, but winnable.

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
I didn't say low heart rate was indicative of PED use, I said it was indicative of freakish heart health. 34 is on the low end even for endurance athletes. Doesn't mean he took epo, but that's what fueled the rumors

I guess perhaps the miscommunication was around freakish. I did not mean freakish in the sense that it is only achievable through chemical means like drug cheat Anderson silva, but rather freakish in that it is only present in a vanishingly small % of people due it's reliance on some cross section of rare genetics and incredible hard work and dedication. Like vitor.

david carmichael fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Feb 9, 2017

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

Schenck v. U.S. posted:

he's so totally reliant on physical traits of durability and quick reactions. It makes him an incredibly fun fighter but it won't age well. He has heavy hands, good timing, and submissions, but he's not technical with either his striking or his wrestling. He moves forward, trusts his chin, and drags more technical fighters into a chaotic brawl where he can time a heavy counterpunch or a reactive takedown. At some point his chin or his timing, or both, will go.

So like, have you seen any of his fights after Roop?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

LobsterMobster posted:

To be completely educational, EPO does not affect your heart rate. If you have a low heart rate, though, you might have trouble pumping your EPO-thickened blood, and might die.
In the golden era of EPO in cycling, teams were getting up at night and jogging around their hotels to keep from getting embolisms.

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

willie_dee posted:

She was very nasty to Randa so yea, agree with you here, watching her get destroyed against JC was a lot less painful because of what a nasty person she came across as on TUF. Very much a bully.

I try to take reality TV with a grain of salt but all of the "mean girls" on that season appear to be every bit as awful as they seemed

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

david carmichael posted:

I didn't say low heart rate was indicative of PED use, I said it was indicative of freakish heart health. 34 is on the low end even for endurance athletes. Doesn't mean he took epo, but that's what fueled the rumors

I guess perhaps the miscommunication was around freakish. I did not mean freakish in the sense that it is only achievable through chemical means like drug cheat Anderson silva, but rather freakish in that it is only present in a vanishingly small % of people due it's reliance on some cross section of rare genetics and incredible hard work and dedication. Like vitor.

no i think im the one not expressing my point properly. what i mean is that while its a true a lower heart rate generally is often a symptom of fitness, its not really a truly reliable one. which is why im saying its too hard to tell anything just from that. its possible to have a heart rate that low without being a serious athlete. my dads is in the low 40s and he's 62 and hasnt done any serious training for anything since i was born (12 years ago :mrgw:). i think the world record holder (26 bpm?) is just some normal guy without any health problems too. so while bisping could well be cheating its not something you can tell just from his heart rate

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries

chaleski posted:

I try to take reality TV with a grain of salt but all of the "mean girls" on that season appear to be every bit as awful as they seemed

Yea, thats why I said came across on TV, a caveat, but it would seem that its continued since then and you can't really spin some stuff no matter how its shown. I remember one argument on a bus and it just seemed so unnecessary and petty, and it seemed like they were all ganging up on her.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Lol at Chuck's bit in Workaholics.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
Aldo punched Conor hard enough to make him bleed while unconscious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

Regardless, all this is pointless to speculate about or discuss, as Conor's next fight will be against Tyron Woodly.

Woodley will take Conor to a revival screening of "Gangs of New York."

• Locked thread