Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Guys, guys, guys.

2topia

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Zootrophia, the all-vore sequel

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
Back 2 Zootopia

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Oh gross! Why is the Fruity Troll Roll surrounded by green olives!!? This are two flavors that do NOT belong together.

I wouldn't mind trying the Spicy Tuna Troll though, that one looks pretty good.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

...well gently caress I guess I better watch Trolls now because that song was hilarious.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
My biggest "Welllll, poo poo" moment in Trolls was finding the cloud guy incredibly funny. I looked it up and apparently he is just some rando who works at Dreamworks, so I think that part exists solely because he's some genuinely funny guy.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

He only shows up for like a minute too, it's rare that Dreamworks would have that much self controll.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Invalid Validation posted:

He only shows up for like a minute too, it's rare that Dreamworks would have that much self controll.

Similarly, I think in part because of the roles the songs play, there's relatively little punch-up. I mean, it exists, but it's pretty modest. Every serious moment of the film is allowed to be serious without being interrupted by jokes. The entire "True Colors" sequence plays out without it, and ends up being particularly effective.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

SatansBestBuddy posted:

...well gently caress I guess I better watch Trolls now because that song was hilarious.

You really should, the whole movie is like that.

The humor in Trolls is surprisingly dark and morbid, yet never cynical. I'm having trouble thinking of something else to compare it to.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
From what I've seen it reminds me a bit of that old British claymation series The Trapdoor

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

You really should, the whole movie is like that.

The humor in Trolls is surprisingly dark and morbid, yet never cynical. I'm having trouble thinking of something else to compare it to.

It's not exactly on Roald Dahl's level, but it's aiming for something similar, I think.

I mean it even has the "turning into a blueberry" thing from Chocolate Factory as a sight gag.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

I just realized both main characters' parents risk their lives to save their children, and succeed, but only one of them survives the experience -- which in turn informs both their kids' outlook on life. Some nice symmetry there.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I just realized both main characters' parents risk their lives to save their children, and succeed, but only one of them survives the experience -- which in turn informs both their kids' outlook on life. Some nice symmetry there.

The deleted scenes also explain the "I'm not the king I once was" line. It explains that the reason he's passing on his crown is that he is developing dementia. So he would go and save the captured trolls, except he is aware that he cannot function at that level any more.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
So I just watched Finding Dory on Netflix and holy loving hell, that was a lot of chase scenes. Didn't get a drat slow down and talk moment until an hour in.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Pick posted:

The deleted scenes also explain the "I'm not the king I once was" line. It explains that the reason he's passing on his crown is that he is developing dementia. So he would go and save the captured trolls, except he is aware that he cannot function at that level any more.

Do any of the deleted scenes explain what happened to Prince Gristle's Dad? I mean sure it's obvious that he died somehow since he's not around after the timeskip and Gristle is now ruling the kingdom, but it's kind of weird that no one brings it up or mentions how it happened.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Hey so I just started watching Trolls but I wanted to say something before I get too far into the movie and forget about it:

I really like that they showed the Bergen stuff FIRST so that when you get the scene with Branch and Poppy at the beginning you don't immediately side with Poppy because Branch is being to negative. You are shown first thing in the movie the threat the Trolls face, and Branch is totally right to worry about the village making so much noise the Bergen find them. Usually in these movies they'd have Poppy be shown as 100% normal and cool and Branch as 100% crazy. But instead the way Trolls handles it you can easily see Branch's point of view amongst all the happy trolls

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool

Do any of the deleted scenes explain what happened to Prince Gristle's Dad? I mean sure it's obvious that he died somehow since he's not around after the timeskip and Gristle is now ruling the kingdom, but it's kind of weird that no one brings it up or mentions how it happened.

I'm going to assume he died of sadness after realizing he would never eat a troll again.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Macaluso posted:

Hey so I just started watching Trolls but I wanted to say something before I get too far into the movie and forget about it:

I really like that they showed the Bergen stuff FIRST so that when you get the scene with Branch and Poppy at the beginning you don't immediately side with Poppy because Branch is being to negative. You are shown first thing in the movie the threat the Trolls face, and Branch is totally right to worry about the village making so much noise the Bergen find them. Usually in these movies they'd have Poppy be shown as 100% normal and cool and Branch as 100% crazy. But instead the way Trolls handles it you can easily see Branch's point of view amongst all the happy trolls

Yeah it's incredibly deft about navigating the space between "making yourself miserable is bad, don't do that" and "yeah the world is completely hosed and wants to eat you."

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Wellp Trolls was really good.

Also I know it's cliche at this point, but I'm totally a sucker for the "two people don't get along but fall in love at the end" trope. Although they don't really go too hard on it either, there's no like kissing scene or marriage scene or anything. They play it way more subtly than other movies do. It's cute. My only real complaint about the movie was that I wish all the songs were original, and not just the one Poppy sings when she starts the adventure. All of them are covers, and they're not bad, but none of them are as good as the Poppy song.

Well except for that main Justin Timberlake song, that song is really really good.

It's pretty great to be pleasantly surprised by Trolls and Storks, two movies that looked pretty typically dire from the trailers.

Also jesus christ the movie is so pretty like gently caress. Those COLORS :swoon:

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

I'm going to see Lego Batman tonight and I'm so stoked.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

https://twitter.com/RealGDT/status/829714125764907008

Yuss! Apparently Anton Yelchin had already recorded voice work a year ahead and GDT confirmed he will give a full performance in season 2. Pretty cool :unsmith:

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

CeallaSo posted:

I'm going to assume he died of sadness after realizing he would never eat a troll again.

A few notes from re-watching Trolls that I found interesting:

King Gristle, Sr., seems to actually be a pretty good king. It would be easy to have made him the "bad one" and his son the "good one", but the pictures in the background and etc. are him holding his son and smiling and etc.

On the topic of kings, there is one scene left where Peppy has tremors, which precedes Poppy heading off. So the "king has Alzheimer's or somesuch" plotline was clearly dropped, even without the deleted scene that explicitly lays it out, though that feels a little weirdly heavy and ultimately it's not necessary. Also he tries to fight the Chef when she arrives and is saved by Poppy, so he's had a very recent reminder that he's not qualified to save the captured trolls.

Barnabus can be made happy, with a sandwich :3:.

When Branch is in his bunker reviewing his invitation (which no longer spurts glitter), he panics when he hears sounds from above. But his response to Poppy makes it clear he doesn't think Bergens are there. So he is afraid of people realizing he is afraid to go to the party. Subtle differentiation but it's important to how his characterization comes around.

When Branch saves Poppy from the spiders, by driving them into the larger animal's mouth, it's obvious that this bigger animal could have wasted him and Poppy if it weren't ambivalent.

At the very end, Poppy and color-Branch hear a surprising sound, and Poppy's expression is :stare: and Branch's is :ohdear:, which is a nice affirmation that Branch hasn't stopped being a worrywart per se, just that he's not letting it affect his overall happiness. So "happiness" doesn't mean uniformity of personality.

Macaluso posted:

Wellp Trolls was really good.

Also I know it's cliche at this point, but I'm totally a sucker for the "two people don't get along but fall in love at the end" trope. Although they don't really go too hard on it either, there's no like kissing scene or marriage scene or anything. They play it way more subtly than other movies do. It's cute. My only real complaint about the movie was that I wish all the songs were original, and not just the one Poppy sings when she starts the adventure. All of them are covers, and they're not bad, but none of them are as good as the Poppy song.

Well except for that main Justin Timberlake song, that song is really really good.

I would have thought this entire film justified, even if it had sucked, by the existence of that incredibly good True Colors cover.

And yeah, Can't Stop the Feeling was written for Trolls, though it was performed prior to Trolls' release, such as at Eurovision 2016. So was What U Workin' With, but I don't remember when this song showed up in the film. And so was They Don't Know and Hair Up (which samples from In the Hall of the Mountain King), I guess? So it's a mix. Sounds like Timberlake brought some friends in.

quote:

It's pretty great to be pleasantly surprised by Trolls and Storks, two movies that looked pretty typically dire from the trailers.
Yeah, I went to Trolls on a lark, but it's my happy-surprise of 2016.

Pick fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Feb 9, 2017

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Pick posted:

I would have thought this entire film justified, even if it had sucked, by the existence of that incredibly good True Colors cover.

Yeah, I went into this movie thinking "Well, if nothing else I'll get to hear a version of True Colors" which is always awesome, but the delivery and how they actually made it fit into the movie elevated it beyond just a good cover of an awesome song. I especially liked how they incorporated Branch confessing his love for Poppy into it without having to change the lyrics.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Phylodox posted:

Yeah, I went into this movie thinking "Well, if nothing else I'll get to hear a version of True Colors" which is always awesome, but the delivery and how they actually made it fit into the movie elevated it beyond just a good cover of an awesome song. I especially liked how they incorporated Branch confessing his love for Poppy into it without having to change the lyrics.

I think it says a lot about Timberlake that despite being the executive music producer, he's extremely judicious about when he, specifically, is singing, compared to the slew of other talented performers.

And yeah, that is a seriously good cover.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Pick posted:

I think it says a lot about Timberlake that despite being the executive music producer, he's extremely judicious about when he, specifically, is singing, compared to the slew of other talented performers.

And yeah, that is a seriously good cover.

Timberlake did a great job on that front. I remember watching the film and being like "man there is some good musical direction in this film" and as i had that thought his credit popped up and now I want him on many many more things.

Edit: King Gristle flatly telling his son that hell never be happy is the high point of the film for me.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Oh, another random detail, the "screwing with the fistbump" gestures go really fast, but the second-to-last one is "Last Supper" and when I caught that I lost my poo poo.

e: Also there's a lot more ear movement than I first thought, it's just very subtle.

Furthermore, some of the random forest monsters have lady-eyelashes which I thought was a neat touch (sort of like having the Chef be a chef and not just, you know, a cook).

I also thought it was impressive that the "hug bracelet" begins as what feels like a throwaway joke, but is actually used reliably and intelligently throughout the movie.

Pick fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Feb 9, 2017

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
Well I've convinced my gf to see trolls with me, good work team

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

The True Colors cover in Trolls is great, but I gotta say I liked that sampling of "In the Hall of Mountain King" even more. The "put your hair in the air" stuff is dumb as heck, but man does "In the Hall of Mountain King" sound weirdly good as a dance remix.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

The True Colors cover in Trolls is great, but I gotta say I liked that sampling of "In the Hall of Mountain King" even more. The "put your hair in the air" stuff is dumb as heck, but man does "In the Hall of Mountain King" sound weirdly good as a dance remix.

It's just drat good melody.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3bv9iuC4KJs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywXiFgi_NY8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cD8EPdn5Ctg

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Personally, I'm more impressed with how Descent turned "Death of Ase" into a poppin' techno piece, but that's not exactly animation, so

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=suy9S_8FOuc and there's this cover, Hall of the Mountain King is a really versatile piece in the right hands.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Lego batman movie: ham-handed morals, hilarious as gently caress. I've never before had trouble rolling my eyes because I was laughing too hard.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
LEGO Batman is a little visually hectic for my tastes, and has a bit too much lol random, however who gives a poo poo, it's super funny and entirely worth seeing.

Also I am incredibly juvenile because the Batman & Joker stuff was hilarious to me.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I'm seeing it on Valentine's Day with my girlfriend. Please be Tuesday already.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I thought the joke in the trailer about Joker not being Batman's "greatest enemy" was funny but assumed it was a one-off, and not the foundation of the entire plot of the film.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

I just got back from Lego Batman. I loved it, it was a funny as gently caress deep dive into Batman, and goddamit the Ninjago movie looks good now.

Build-a-Boar
Feb 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I just got done watching Sing which I put on entirely to fall asleep watching or laugh at or roll my eyes at because Illumination but I ended up actually really enjoying it. gently caress. I need to go and think about what I've done.

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
i will never eat a troll again

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Hmm, I don't know what to think of this new Netflix show from the studio who does Robot Chicken

https://youtu.be/YtvkFv7igno

Dig the style, hate the subject matter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

If somethin goes a little wrong
Well you can go ahead and bring it on!
Cause if you knock knock me over
I
Will