Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Femur
Jan 10, 2004
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP

dokmo posted:

Can someone who isn't a million years old tell me what if anything this means to basketball or if it's just video game poo poo I can safely ignore.

another version of reality tv but for males.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

:10bux:

dokmo posted:

Can someone who isn't a million years old tell me what if anything this means to basketball or if it's just video game poo poo I can safely ignore.

I love esports and I'm pretty confident there is 0 loving chance an NBA game takes off as an esport. I feel like this is going to crash and burn miserably.

Is there even any way to compete against other people reasonably in NBA2k? There's no skill ratings or match making right?

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
Lee Jenkins profiled our favorite center, Nikola Jokic.

http://www.si.com/nba/2017/02/08/nikola-jokic-denver-nuggets-the-joker-serbia-darko-milicic

edit:

quote:

In 2012–13, Milicic played his last pro game with the Celtics, and Jokic with the Steamers. Jokic flew back to his hometown of Sombor for the first time in seven years and reconnected with his two brothers. He had always been close with his older brother, Strahinja, a 6’8” bruiser who played professionally in Serbia. But his younger brother, Nikola, was only 10 when he left for America. He remembered Nikola mainly as the little kid Strahinja used to terrorize, tossing him from one bed to another in the family’s small apartment, often during heated games on a plastic mini hoop. “He once held down my arms and threw knives all around my head,” Nikola adds, punishment for refusing to climb a tree during a picnic. “That was a little crazy.”

Jack's Flow fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Feb 9, 2017

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
I mean the appeal of eSport bullshit to me at least is that it's distinct from real sports. Thinking that people are gonna be interested in watching virtual basketball sounds like some naive poo poo from some people going 'Hey LoL is making bank, can we get in on that?'

Space Camp fuckup
Aug 2, 2003

Bashez posted:

I love esports and I'm pretty confident there is 0 loving chance an NBA game takes off as an esport. I feel like this is going to crash and burn miserably.

Is there even any way to compete against other people reasonably in NBA2k? There's no skill ratings or match making right?

I have no idea how the participants are selected, but it's kind of fun to watch people play 5 on 5 with their MyPlayers when there's a good amount of money on the line. I've only watched it a couple times though.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
I can watch steph curry in real life, why the gently caress would I want to watch someone control a 3D render of him as a surrogate?

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Bashez posted:

There sorta is if you do ProAm (but not walk-on).

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man
I am sorry I asked. This is so much worse than I imagined. Every generation that came after mine is full of idiots.

E vvv I didn't say my generation was also not full of idiots

dokmo fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Feb 9, 2017

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

dokmo posted:

I am sorry I asked. This is so much worse than I imagined. Every generation that came after mine is full of idiots.

You literally make dick charts for an internet forum

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Can't wait to join the Bulls E-Sports affiliate.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

dokmo posted:

Eh, it's a fun game when it rarely decides to work. Some people are very competitive when playing it. Others like watching people do something competitive at the highest level.

It's sometimes just done in video game form now instead of physically.

I'm one of those guys who is always trying to get better at whatever video games I play and enjoy watching the people who are better than I ever will be compete against each other in a competitive environment. So, I will probably watch at least the first few games of this when it comes out to see if it is entertaining.

Also, to pick up some tips and tricks for my own play.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

Paul Zuvella posted:

You literally make dick charts for an internet forum
lol

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Lee Jenkins profiles are always pro clicks.

Related: Jordan Ritter Conn profiled Jabari Parker.
https://theringer.com/nba-milwaukee-bucks-jabari-parker-basketball-and-political-awakening-bea7f0d34a8#.4opufqmpy

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP

dokmo posted:

E vvv I didn't say my generation was also not full of idiots

What's bad about it exactly?

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Strawberry Panda posted:

What's bad about it exactly?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZVdR19E5mU

houstonguy
Jun 2, 2005

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion
I'm not even 30 yet and people watching video games makes me feel old.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Sheriff posted:

I'm not even 30 yet and people watching video games makes me feel old.

I guess playing against low-level pros of various games in my youth gave me a kind of respect for the high level guys now and I appreciate their skills more?

They bodied me pretty hard, btw. So, not a humble-brag; I just happened to play on the same servers as a few.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
A five month regular season seems like a bad start. No one will watch the third month of an nba2k season.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

wade is pro-oak

https://twitter.com/DwyaneWade/status/829767553455050752

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Everyone knows that the generations directly before and after their own are the worst ever.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

Pretty much.

This is a dumb derail for which I sincerely apologize.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

This article sent me down the rabbit hole and this is what fat Jokic looked like:

https://twitter.com/nmiljenovic/status/519384285166702592/photo/1?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

ragle
Nov 1, 2009
https://twitter.com/Bucks/status/829775890808713222

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

dokmo posted:

Pretty much.

This is a dumb derail for which I sincerely apologize.

Naw, it's alright. :)

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Another ACL. :(

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Dang. :'(

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

fucks sake

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Bad timing considering Middleton just came back. Harder to tank.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

better or worse that it's the same knee as last year?

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.
Jesus gently caress, so he's already slated to miss over half of next season as well.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

this rash of torn ACLs is super annoying

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Carlosologist posted:

this rash of torn ACLs is super annoying

Guys are more athletic than ever. We are seeing just what the weakest parts of the human body are when pushed to the limit.

Artic Puma
Jun 22, 2007

Chef Curry with the pot, boy!
Jabari :(

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

ketchup vs catsup posted:

better or worse that it's the same knee as last year?

From my skimming of paper abstracts in the last 15 minutes it's really bad, fixing it the second time has a bad outcome at much higher rate

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Kibner posted:

Guys are more athletic than ever. We are seeing just what the weakest parts of the human body are when pushed to the limit.

Yep. The average scores of every single drill in the NFL combine improve every year. I can probably link 10 ACL studies that were published in the last month that are all desperately trying to find ways to strengthen them. For instance, the NSCA advises training deep squats over regular squats now, not for strengthening muscles, but specifically for strengthening ligaments.

I do think athletes are pushing themselves way past human evolution. We only started doing resistance training in the NFL during the 1950s, and before that pretty much only the American army was delving deep into exercise science. I don't think it's natural for a human being to dunk so casually from the free throw line. Lebron's a freak of nature for going so long without a major knee injury.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Chairchucker posted:

Everyone knows that the generations directly before and after their own are the worst ever.

Wrong

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring

God damnit, that sucks. He was having a breakout season, too.

edit:

https://twitter.com/CP3/status/829745062447820800

More of this, please.

Jack's Flow fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Feb 9, 2017

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
I am sad

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

ˇHola SEA!

Doltos posted:

This article sent me down the rabbit hole and this is what fat Jokic looked like:

https://twitter.com/nmiljenovic/status/519384285166702592/photo/1?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

He's actually less hideous as a fattie

Yeah I think we can all agree your generation was the worst, sorry holmes. Your avatar kills me every single time you post btw

We shouldn't give Oak too much credit, he obviously has no problem with wealthy assholes who run basketball teams into the ground and have no self awareness in general. IMO a clear case of "reversed racisms" here, Oakley is a hate-crimer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chilihead
Nov 5, 2010

Is this real life, or is this fantasy?

aBagorn posted:

Okafor for Boogie and a 2021 unprotected first who says no?

For maximum comedy i say yes! Imagine if you will the Sixers having the two best centers in the league.
Then in the offseason they throw money at Dion Waiters and offer Rose a one year prove you can still play contract!
The NBA would be back as my favorite league.

After the result of the Superbowl, it's pretty drat close.

• Locked thread