Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Ekster posted:

I remember trying to get into fighting games a while ago until I realized that it was going to take me as much time and effort as I did getting good at playing the piano.

If you're a piano player already you'll probably have a significantly easier time of it, really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suuma
Apr 2, 2009

Bicyclops posted:

Is there any reason I should be saving Coldblood Dew? I sort of forgot about them and I have a ton.

The Coldblood items serve as blood echoes that you can carry around and not lose when you die. You can use them if you want, generally I save them (and the similar items in Dark Souls) until I need to buy something that I can't afford or recover from a death. Later on you get so many blood echoes that farming 6-10 vials per pass through Central Yharnam is kind of tedious.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Real hurthling! posted:

i've been playing since 2014 and i'm still really bad but i feel like for the first time i started understanding why i'm bad and feel like i have a path to get better. on the plus side though i don't get hype as gently caress watching piano recitals but i do watching fg tournaments so its easier to stick with

it really doesn't matter but its best to save them for when you have almost enough echoes for an upgrade but don't want to sit through a loading screen to get them or are worried about dying trying cause you have so many echoes on you.

you can always farm echoes so popping all your expendables isn't really needed when you're gonna wish you had 1000 quick echoes lying around later for convenience

Yeah, that's kind of what I figured. I guess I'll hang on to them, I mean I don't feel under-leveled. The bosses are hard, but the extra 1-2 stat points I'd get from using them probably isn't going to make them a ton easier.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

suuma posted:

The Coldblood items serve as blood echoes that you can carry around and not lose when you die. You can use them if you want, generally I save them (and the similar items in Dark Souls) until I need to buy something that I can't afford or recover from a death. Later on you get so many blood echoes that farming 6-10 vials per pass through Central Yharnam is kind of tedious.

Are vials really that hard to come by later? I feel like I can't get enough of them right now. I try not to use them unless I'm fighting a boss, in the middle of a long, extended trek, or I just fought something is probably going to drop one and I'm missing a little health. I don't think I've ever used 10 or more, it just seems like at the point where you need that much healing, you're already dead.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

the best thing to keep from dying short of dodging really well like 30 VIT. not to many things can kill you at that point before you can just heal and your weapon upgrades will give you more than enough damage to compensate for ignoring other stats until vit is pumped up. i used it as such a crutch my first time through the game i had to replay at low vit

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Ekster posted:

I remember trying to get into fighting games a while ago until I realized that it was going to take me as much time and effort as I did getting good at playing the piano.

The sad reality is they're not for everybody. I realized awhile back that I seem to peak at a certain level with most fighting games, even ones i really like for non-game mechanic reasons like Guilty Gear. Practice and playing online doesn't help much, I find. Maybe it's only having a certain capacity for fighting games (aka being a scrub), maybe it's my learning disability affecting how I play. I still enjoy 'em, though.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I stopped playing fighting games when they stopped having good single-player stuff like weapon master mode because I never have, nor will I ever be in any spot to be competitive enough to have fun playing them online because I have not been playing them consistently for the past 20 years.

Like blazblue and guilty gear have stuff like a story mode but I don't want to play a visual novel with the occasional fight, especially when I don't care about the plot in the first place.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Bicyclops posted:

I'm sort of torn, because I guess beating the Chapel boss changes the moon phase and makes other stuff harder? I found Old Yharnam, so I guess I could go there instead, but the nice coughing freak told me to go to the Chapel district for Paleblood, so it seems to the most straightforward route.

People generally recommend going to Old Yharnam before beating the boss behind the 10,000 blood echoes gate. Beating the Old Yharnam boss gives you access to an alternate route that gets you past the gate without having to buy the key. At the same time, the Old Yharnam boss is completely optional so long as you've beaten the Cleric Beast, so you can skip it if you really don't want to do Old Yharnam. (Gehrman, back at the Hunter's Dream, should be pointing you to Old Yharnam if you talk to him.)

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

El Gallinero Gros posted:

The sad reality is they're not for everybody. I realized awhile back that I seem to peak at a certain level with most fighting games, even ones i really like for non-game mechanic reasons like Guilty Gear. Practice and playing online doesn't help much, I find. Maybe it's only having a certain capacity for fighting games (aka being a scrub), maybe it's my learning disability affecting how I play. I still enjoy 'em, though.

i went to play in arcades last week for the first time and everyone was incredibly nice and friendly and coached me through every match vs great players and i learned way more than i could learn on my own so i'm gonna trudge to the middle of nowhere tomorrow in my city through a foot of snow and get a really sore neck hunched over in a folding chair for 5 hours to do it again

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Phantasium posted:

I stopped playing fighting games when they stopped having good single-player stuff like weapon master mode because I never have, nor will I ever be in any spot to be competitive enough to have fun playing them online because I have not been playing them consistently for the past 20 years.

Like blazblue and guilty gear have stuff like a story mode but I don't want to play a visual novel with the occasional fight, especially when I don't care about the plot in the first place.

both those games have extensive sp content aside from their anime stories. just for instance GG has mom mode which is very cool survival/challenge mode with mortal kombat x style wacky modifiers.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Phantasium posted:

In the new guilty gears the story modes dont even have fights theyre a 6 hour cutscene

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

In Training posted:

In the new guilty gears the story modes dont even have fights theyre a 6 hour cutscene

with a dead man's switch every 15 mins to check if you're still there.

worth it for robo ky though. also preferable to bb's story mode where the 30 fights as ragna get really old by the end.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Real hurthling! posted:

both those games have extensive sp content aside from their anime stories. just for instance GG has mom mode which is very cool survival/challenge mode with mortal kombat x style wacky modifiers.

It would perhaps be more accurate to say I don't like the single player content in most fighting games because that doesn't sound terribly interesting either.

Like the last time I cared about a fighting game was MK9's story mode, and before that like.. Soul Calibur III (which instantly got on my poo poo list when it corrupted my save file after hours of playtime).

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

In Training posted:

hmmmm...

think i know why.......... :D

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

oddium posted:

hmmmm...

think i know why.......... :D

:D

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
People not being hype about piano performances itt :gas:

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Real hurthling! posted:

i went to play in arcades last week for the first time and everyone was incredibly nice and friendly and coached me through every match vs great players and i learned way more than i could learn on my own so i'm gonna trudge to the middle of nowhere tomorrow in my city through a foot of snow and get a really sore neck hunched over in a folding chair for 5 hours to do it again

Sadly I don't have an arcade. Closest thing we have is a Dave & Buster's style place called Wacky's. It has zero fighting games it's all poo poo you play for tickets.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

What's a good Guilty Gear that's also on Steam?

suuma
Apr 2, 2009

Bicyclops posted:

Are vials really that hard to come by later? I feel like I can't get enough of them right now. I try not to use them unless I'm fighting a boss, in the middle of a long, extended trek, or I just fought something is probably going to drop one and I'm missing a little health. I don't think I've ever used 10 or more, it just seems like at the point where you need that much healing, you're already dead.

They're not hard to come by at all - there's a decent farming path that involves warping to the bridge (Cleric Beast) and clearing to Tomb of Oeden (Father Gascoigne) where you're guaranteed 6 + random drops (usually 10 or so) and it takes all of like 4 minutes. It's just tedious when you use 15 for a boss and have to go farm them again.

The other Dark Souls games (at least, DkS1 that I remember) had much higher Souls (blood echoes) costs for upgrading weapons, so it helped to have some Coldblood/whatever on hand. Bloodborne seems to be a bit more generous about it.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Jay Rust posted:

Revelator is really good.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

Real hurthling! posted:

I'm in a pinball league and go to some tournaments where the same people I play with weekly are also competing. One thing I find really cool and I don't experience enough of is the sharing of knowledge that comes from social gaming events like that. There's a new pinball table based on Batman '66 and it's fun to watch someone play, notice something, then talk about what happened, why, and how to do it again. Or if someone is very familiar with a table and I'm not, I can ask for a pointer about what lights the multiball locks or what good scoring strategies are. Even if the person is someone I'm playing against that week, pinball always seems more cooperative than competitive since it's dependent on your own skill and knowledge.

There's a similar feeling that surrounds the Souls community, or the Nioh community for a very current example. Being able to take advantage of other people's knowledge and sharing my own adds a level of enjoyment that is hard to quantify, but it's why I get these games on day 1. In a month all the mystery will be gone.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Jay Rust posted:

They've been keeping the series up to date on PC even if it's a little late

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Bicyclops posted:

Buying vials with blood echoes is the easiest way to not run out and way more time effective than farming them.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

What is the smartest thing to do with the 3000 pieces of equipment I've picked up in the first few levels of nioh

Also is soul matching the only way to upgrade a weapon/is it best to do that or just forge something new

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

In Training posted:

They've been keeping the series up to date on PC even if it's a little late

yeah sounds like the new update is going to be day and date. (too bad pc players just bought the game and now gotta pay an upgrade fee though).

hopefully they release 2 characters and new system changes/balances every year for the next few years on everything at once. i would love for xrd to live for a long time.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

Help Im Alive posted:

What is the smartest thing to do with the 3000 pieces of equipment I've picked up in the first few levels of nioh

Also is soul matching the only way to upgrade a weapon/is it best to do that or just forge something new

If you're outside of a mission you can disassemble your equipment at the smithy. Make sure you look through your inventory and equip what you like and lock (Square) anything you want to keep. In the disassemble menu you can check everything that's not currently equipped or locked with R2. Doing this will break down items into materials. You can use the Forge ->Tools menu to upgrade your materials' quality by combining lower grades into higher grades. This way you'll be flush with materials for when you want to start forging things.

I don't have much experience with Soul Matching but the way I understand it is that it's best for moving a bonus that can be inherited (it'll have a []->[] icon next to the bonus) onto a new weapon. It can also increase the level of existing equipment by matching your preferred, low level item with anything that's a higher level; the prefered weapon will increase in strength. Again, I haven't done that yet, I've been fine with the equipment I find. Forging is a bit of a gamble since using the highest quality materials doesn't guarantee the highest quality product, but if you get in the habit of disassembling old equipment you should be able to pull the lever several times until a purple pops out.

Note that you can also offer your equipment at shrines to get Amrita (experience) and some restoratives, but I would only recommend that if you are in the middle of a mission and feel like you are low on elixirs/just short of enough exp for a level. In general the materials are going to be more useful.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
Soul matching is prohibitively expensive for some reason, I'm talking like 600,000 gold to level up a spear or whatever

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

LawfulWaffle posted:

If you're outside of a mission you can disassemble your equipment at the smithy. Make sure you look through your inventory and equip what you like and lock (Square) anything you want to keep. In the disassemble menu you can check everything that's not currently equipped or locked with R2. Doing this will break down items into materials. You can use the Forge ->Tools menu to upgrade your materials' quality by combining lower grades into higher grades. This way you'll be flush with materials for when you want to start forging things.

I don't have much experience with Soul Matching but the way I understand it is that it's best for moving a bonus that can be inherited (it'll have a []->[] icon next to the bonus) onto a new weapon. It can also increase the level of existing equipment by matching your preferred, low level item with anything that's a higher level; the prefered weapon will increase in strength. Again, I haven't done that yet, I've been fine with the equipment I find. Forging is a bit of a gamble since using the highest quality materials doesn't guarantee the highest quality product, but if you get in the habit of disassembling old equipment you should be able to pull the lever several times until a purple pops out.

Note that you can also offer your equipment at shrines to get Amrita (experience) and some restoratives, but I would only recommend that if you are in the middle of a mission and feel like you are low on elixirs/just short of enough exp for a level. In general the materials are going to be more useful.

Ok, thank you. I guess I'll start disassembling stuff I don't need/experimenting with forging

I'm having a lot of fun but it really is just kind of annoying that like two thirds of the enemies seem to drop a piece of equipment

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Lakbay posted:

Soul matching is prohibitively expensive for some reason, I'm talking like 600,000 gold to level up a spear or whatever

It seems like the only real thing that's worth spending a lot of money on, at least from where I am. I can't see myself buying much equipment from the blacksmith, and crafting doesn't cost much gold, just materials. Gold seems to be just for Soul Matching and buying Books of Reincarnation, so I'm all right with dumping huge piles of gold on keeping a purple weapon with great special abilities up-to-date.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
The problem is that gold income for the player doesn't keep up with how expensive soul matching becomes

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
So what I'm getting from this Activision Earnings Slide is that Skylanders is not...entirely dead. It's only somewhat dead. They deliberately mention there's gonna be more seasons of the TV show and there's a mobile game development while also deliberately not mentioning whether or not a console title is in development as well.

Also I like the bullet point in the COD section that says the 2017 entry is "Taking the franchise back to its roots" which is a nice thing to say, but after seeing them swear to people the COD4 remaster wouldn't have any pay-to-win elements and the supply drops were gonna be cosmetic only and then a few days they went ahead and added in supply drops with new guns that's...not really taking the series back to its roots I don't think.

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
I figured that probably means World War 2, maybe WW1 if they want to keep copying what EA/DICE is doing.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
People think they mean cod 1 and 2 but watch em copy 3 instead

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Lakbay posted:

The problem is that gold income for the player doesn't keep up with how expensive soul matching becomes

Maybe they just don't want soul matching to be something you rely on, then. I haven't gotten to the point where it's just totally unaffordable. Maybe it's that they figure, if you want to keep the same weapon from level 20 to level 100, you're going to work for it? I dunno.

Is it any better if you try to keep on top of it gradually as you go rather than trying to soul match a weapon up in a single huge leap? Or is the cost unrelated to how big of a leap it is?

In the end, it's probably more cost-effective to just keep crafting new versions of a weapon you want to keep leveled up with you, I guess.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
It's slightly cheaper if the weapon and material are closer to each other in level but the game remembers the original level of the weapon so if you want to keep your beginner raikiri expect it to cost 600k+ when you reach level 50.

The game doesn't want you to stick to one super weapon

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Guess I'll just keep crafting new Raikiri then! I disassemble enough weapons that I can reliably craft a blue one just about any time I want.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

tap my mountain posted:

People think they mean cod 1 and 2 but watch em copy 3 instead

You know entire games that have been based around bows, or knives/stealth, or some other weapon gimmick?

This new COD is entirely about the flamethrower, the most constantly disappointing weapon in gaming.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I'm looking at some of the ultra beasts in pokemon and man, Celesteela is just a shin megami tensei monster isn't it

Reminds me of something out of digital devil saga like this one

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

it's a rocket ship bamboo lady

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

I beat gravity rush 2 today. Not a big fan. Real failure to advance the series past the first game. I guess ill hang onto it until the free dlc next month.

• Locked thread