Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay
There is no way they will be able to balance this because that means taking away bad options but the bad players will want these options. For example, you can't balance a LPL boating Battlemaster against a bracket build Direwolf with LRMs, machineguns, SPLs et.c. without giving some static boosts, i.e. quirks. to the DWF. With quirks they at least have some way of telling people what direction to go with their builds, like PPC velocity + range quirks on a mech will make people build PPC snipers out of that chassis. Now, given 100% free choice the bad players will predictably make bad choices, without quirks the difference between a good player with a good build and a bad player with a bad build will be much larger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
I just logged in after about 3 years and the game still thinks I'm tier 4 material :shrug:

ZenVulgarity posted:

I'll give you an account

Thanks, but I'll pass. Save it for a more needy goon.

Sdoots
Nov 3, 2013

I did this and could have stopped it, but nothing in nature ever follows a gaussian curve. Sure, they'll tell you that it does. They say that every five minutes someone dies in a car accident, but how often are there seven hundred and sixty one armless and legless corpses in one hangar?
I sincerely wish someone had worked out some computer-black-magic to make a MechAssault 2 multiplayer port to PC that miraculously was populated and ran great.

That poo poo ruled.

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

Buy some freaking medicine.

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

I miss my MWO buddies but I don't miss the game at all and none o f this is making me want to log in ever again haha.

yeah that's how it goes, basically

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib
MPBT 3025 with modern graphics would be fine. It was 4x4.

Major Spag
Nov 4, 2012

Tank Boy Ken posted:

MPBT 3025 with modern graphics would be fine. It was 4x4.

I had the most fun with this game. It was amazing.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Tank Boy Ken posted:

With modules you change your weapons loadout and swapped in the fitting modules. With the new Skill Tree you have to respecc your weapon Skills ~ 500k C-Bills and then buy the different weapon skills ~ 2.0 million C-Bills. So changing your build from boating one weapon to boating another weapon = 2.5 million C-Bills. Double that if you use 2 different Weapon Classes.
Or just buy the variant again. And XP it again. And pay for upgrades again.

The secret is to not buy weapon skills.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

What are the good ones? i was trying to look that poo poo up but there is literally no information to be found or I'm not looking in the right places

The ones I'm playing are for MC 2, which is nice because microsoft open sourced it a while ago so you can legally download both the full game and all the fan-made poo poo that unfucks the engine for modern computers.

Mech Commander Omnitech is the one you want. It comes with two campaigns in it. One if them is a REALLY good reprisal of the campaign from MW2: Mercenaries. That's the one I play about once a year.

Someone has also made a "Clan Wars" merc campaign that you can find on the same page. Just install it over the omnitech stuff after installing omnitech. It doesn't overwrite anything, you just get the campaign as a selectable option. I think it's OK. I've played it, but only after I did everything else. It's less balanced and has less interesting maps. Still, it scratches that itch when you've done everything else and need some new content.

The MW2 mercs omnitech campaign though is PERFECT and should take just enough time for me to get through (again) before BT beta hits

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

Cyrano4747 posted:

The ones I'm playing are for MC 2, which is nice because microsoft open sourced it a while ago so you can legally download both the full game and all the fan-made poo poo that unfucks the engine for modern computers.

Mech Commander Omnitech is the one you want. It comes with two campaigns in it. One if them is a REALLY good reprisal of the campaign from MW2: Mercenaries. That's the one I play about once a year.

Someone has also made a "Clan Wars" merc campaign that you can find on the same page. Just install it over the omnitech stuff after installing omnitech. It doesn't overwrite anything, you just get the campaign as a selectable option. I think it's OK. I've played it, but only after I did everything else. It's less balanced and has less interesting maps. Still, it scratches that itch when you've done everything else and need some new content.

The MW2 mercs omnitech campaign though is PERFECT and should take just enough time for me to get through (again) before BT beta hits

cool man, I'll check those out after i finish murdering these Smoke Jaguar bitches :madmax:

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Freakazoid_ posted:

I just logged in after about 3 years and the game still thinks I'm tier 4 material :shrug:

Thanks, but I'll pass. Save it for a more needy goon.

Old accounts start at tier 4, new accounts start at tier 5. If you played during the year they used to seed the PSR you ended up where you were supposed to be.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer
I'm still tier 3. That's what happens when you are filled with complete apathy.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Skoll posted:

I'm still tier 3. That's what happens when you are filled with complete apathy.

Do you play at all? I mean, playing like twice a week for a year on average I'm halfway through tier 2

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer

Cyrano4747 posted:

Do you play at all? I mean, playing like twice a week for a year on average I'm halfway through tier 2

My account is from 2011 and is a founders. I took a year or so break. I just don't really give a poo poo about winning or losing because I'm usually hosed up on something when I play and I really only get any enjoyment from bad gimmick builds.

Basically I just have this installed to have some good times with goons in a horrible loving abortion of a game. The hosed up thing is I do really good when I actually do try but it is what it is.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
hay,
hay,
HAY, HAY GUYS.
THEY'RE GIVING AWAY FREE MECHS FOR BUYING MC AGAIN.
GIVE :pgi: MONEY, QUICK QUICK.
http://mwomercs.com/news/2017/02/1725-sweet-deals-mc-3

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
Not gonna lie, the Kitfox hero is tempting

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
Hell no fell for that once and I got the worst blackjack in the game.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
also that was a joke by the way, just to be clear

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Cyrano4747 posted:

i'm tier 4 and i've got like 300 hours logged :smith:

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
A 45 tonner jumpy BJ with 4 missile slots doesn't seem bad at all?

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Artificer posted:

it's slowish, you really feel the tonnage pinch, and its arms don't absorb enemy fire very well

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Artificer posted:

It can only run a 235 engine.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

Artificer posted:

Its slow and anything that vaguely looks at it will kill it.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

veedubfreak posted:

It can only run a 235 engine.

Wow. What. Why.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Artificer posted:

Wow. What. Why.

I mean, it still does 90 with a 235. It's not a speed demon but it's not gimped to 64kph or something either.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

Cyrano4747 posted:

Is that all you need to run Mech Commander 2?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yeah. Well at least the fan made campaigns. Frankly I think they're better than the story that comes with the regular game once you get past not having video briefings.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Cyrano4747 posted:

Fuuuuck that looks awesome, thanks for the find.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
I remember not liking MC2 as much as the 1st. Battletech huuuuuuuuuuuurrrry up

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

To each their own. I like 2 better

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
I'm downloading it now, maybe my opinion will have changed after 15 years or whatever. I've always been a sucker for isometric poo poo though like the first.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

I really loving enjoyed the campaign advancement curve for MC1 I think because it did a really good job of slowly increasing the tonnage of mechs available to you while MC2 just kinda told you to get a couple of zeus really early and fatty as much of the game as possible. MC2 had a better engine and far more options/designs that it had the potential to be far better but the campaign and available of mechs just wasnt as enjoyable as MC1. Moments like 'OH gently caress MAD CAT GG CLOSE ABORT RUN TO EXTRACTION' or FINALLY getting a Medium mech and having your AC20 rocking hunchback just cut down the light mechs and tanks you fought on the first mission you could buy one.

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

The problem with MC2 is once you work out the AI's terrible secret the game gets pretty trivial.

Edit: Also wasn't the stated goal of the skill tree system to try and make things a little more diverse. It looks like it is going to promote cookie cutter builds even more.

Phrosphor fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Feb 10, 2017

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
Apparently re "mastering" a mech is going to be more expensive than the current mastery. Something on the order of only being able to remaster 68% of what you currently have mastered. According to the spergs that autist this game entirely too hard. Yes I surfed the brown sea earlier. The good news is that most of the white knights HATE the new system.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

Cyrano4747 posted:

Yeah. Well at least the fan made campaigns. Frankly I think they're better than the story that comes with the regular game once you get past not having video briefings.

Okay thanks, this thing may be old and fan made but, its way better than :pgi:'s stuff.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

veedubfreak posted:

Apparently re "mastering" a mech is going to be more expensive than the current mastery. Something on the order of only being able to remaster 68% of what you currently have mastered. According to the spergs that autist this game entirely too hard. Yes I surfed the brown sea earlier. The good news is that most of the white knights HATE the new system.

do you even read what people post in this thread veedub

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

veedubfreak posted:

I've got some bad news.

You're still in the brown sea right here in this thread.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay
For Energy Draw there was people that actually liked it but the backlash was so severe that they completely dropped the idea. I can't find anyone that likes this new skill system, not even people like me that like it just because it fucks over most other people. I wonder how this fucks over their new idea with mech packs, I also wonder how they will re-make the skill system once the new weapon systems get added when the technology advances, doubt they thought about that at all. Interesting times.

mcjomar
Jun 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I guess I'm going to have to take a second look at that MC2:Omnitech stuff or whatever.
I only used it to get a look at the original campaign because while MC2 played fine on Win7, win10 completely hates it.
But playing the MW2Mercs campaign in MC2? I'll bite.

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

TjyvTompa posted:

, doubt they thought about that at all. Interesting times.

You just described :pgi:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Fiddling in the mechlab, the Linebacker really is pretty garbo...

• Locked thread