Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

JollyPubJerk
Nov 10, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

GentlemanofLeisure posted:

Question for those with MK7 GTI's: is it normal that when I have my fan speed set to 0 and my a/c button "off" that a fair amount of air still comes through the HVAC vents? It's enough to notice a light breeze coming through.

doesn't the temperature setting work too even if the fans are off?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

xsf421 posted:

If anyone is looking for one, there's still two black RS2s at the dealer here (Detroit area). Blue is definitely the best color though.

Shame about the rims though. Only available with black rims?

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

MrOnBicycle posted:

Shame about the rims though. Only available with black rims?

No, you can have them in any color so long as it's black.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

Larrymer posted:

Which dealer (I'm local)? Did they let you test drive one?

Pat milliken Ford in Redford. They let me do a short test drive, about a mile around the block. Both the ones they have left are black rs2s with moonroof and the 19 inch black wheels I think.

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

I don't like the look of it...

xsf421 posted:

I was floored when I walked up to the dealership and there were three sitting in a line out front. No markup either, just asking sticker price.

There was one dealer here in Fort Wayne that got an initial RS allocation. They also put a $5000 markup on it and are known for being terrible loving assholes and literally had to change their dealership name because they were so bad. Luckily I went to another dealer here in town with a better reputation and they were cool about the whole thing and were upfront with me about being willing to put in an order but let me know that there was no guarantee it would get built. Apparently Ford finally decided to listen to the enthusiast community about their lovely dealership network gouging the gently caress out of people and have been good about getting the 2017 models to smaller dealers that aren't trying to actively gently caress over their customer base.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Powershift posted:

The blue adds 15hp.

Blue adds +5 to attract popo.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Huge_Midget posted:

There was one dealer here in Fort Wayne that got an initial RS allocation. They also put a $5000 markup on it and are known for being terrible loving assholes and literally had to change their dealership name because they were so bad. Luckily I went to another dealer here in town with a better reputation and they were cool about the whole thing and were upfront with me about being willing to put in an order but let me know that there was no guarantee it would get built. Apparently Ford finally decided to listen to the enthusiast community about their lovely dealership network gouging the gently caress out of people and have been good about getting the 2017 models to smaller dealers that aren't trying to actively gently caress over their customer base.

Odanniel treated you right I'm guessing?

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

Rhyno posted:

Odanniel treated you right I'm guessing?

Yup, they were pretty cool about the whole thing, told me they'd place the order with a $500 refundable deposit if they order didn't get accepted. They've actually been proactively giving me build status updates on it (I'd already been tracking it myself having talked to the Ford Service reps on the FocusRS forums). It was literally built today, the final assembly for the RS happens by hand because of the larger intercooler and different front fascia. It should be completely finished by the end of the week and then off to the port in Belgium where they are shipped from.

PabloBOOM
Mar 10, 2004
Hunchback of DOOM

Huge_Midget posted:

Yup, they were pretty cool about the whole thing, told me they'd place the order with a $500 refundable deposit if they order didn't get accepted. They've actually been proactively giving me build status updates on it (I'd already been tracking it myself having talked to the Ford Service reps on the FocusRS forums). It was literally built today, the final assembly for the RS happens by hand because of the larger intercooler and different front fascia. It should be completely finished by the end of the week and then off to the port in Belgium where they are shipped from.

You are a more patient person than I am. I would be completely unable to wait that long.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Christobevii3 posted:

Any of you autocrossing the rs and modding yet? We just had three show up and all get out ran by two st's. Seems the weight and front suspension geometry is not forgiving stock.

Driver mod is the most likely culprit behind those results.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Huge_Midget posted:

I would like a ride plz.

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

Rhyno posted:

I would like a ride plz.

For sure man. I'll probably check out the local cars and coffee scene and see what that's all about once I get it. This is the first new car I've ever bought, all of my previous cars have been used beaters. We got my wife's car brand new back in 2011, a Subaru Outback 3.6R Premium, so it's my turn now for a new ride. I've had it narrowed down to something AWD and was kinda hoping that Subaru would finally update the outdated EJ in the STi, but when that didn't happen I decided to jump on the RS bandwagon once all the press reviews proclaimed it to be the second coming.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Huge_Midget posted:

For sure man. I'll probably check out the local cars and coffee scene and see what that's all about once I get it. This is the first new car I've ever bought, all of my previous cars have been used beaters. We got my wife's car brand new back in 2011, a Subaru Outback 3.6R Premium, so it's my turn now for a new ride. I've had it narrowed down to something AWD and was kinda hoping that Subaru would finally update the outdated EJ in the STi, but when that didn't happen I decided to jump on the RS bandwagon once all the press reviews proclaimed it to be the second coming.

Awesome, I look forward to seeing it!

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006

KidDynamite posted:

Driver mod is the most likely culprit behind those results.

Isnt there minimal camber? Can you do much besides stiffen rebound on drive modes?

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Christobevii3 posted:

Isnt there minimal camber? Can you do much besides stiffen rebound on drive modes?

I believe he was referring to the loose nut behind the wheel.

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

Put a glide in your stride and a dip in your hip and come on up to the mothership.

veedubfreak posted:

I believe he was referring to the loose nut behind the wheel.

My airbag is loose?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

oxbrain posted:

My airbag is loose?

oxbrain!

SHOW US SOME FESTIVA

Mr-Spain
Aug 27, 2003

Bullshit... you can be mine.

Huge_Midget posted:

I have something for you! AWD too. http://fcauthority.com/2017/02/watch-the-2018-durango-srt-do-an-awd-burnout-video/

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Gonna be back out in CO next week and was hoping to be able to pick up my car. They sounded pretty confident they'd have everything done by then. Just talked to them today and they weren't sounding quite as confident. The headliner still needs to go in the car and it apparently won't fit in through the back so they're going to have to pull the windshield to not gently caress it up. Also one of the headlights may not be working properly. They may have to have a dealer look at that. I'm gonna be pissed if I don't drive it home next week. They've had it a month now.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Is this one of the recommended shops or one you chose? If it's a direct repair shop of theirs, lean on the property damage adjuster to get poo poo in order.

PabloBOOM
Mar 10, 2004
Hunchback of DOOM
I'd tell them to leave the headliner be. Let's be honest, in a few years it'll be held up with pins or staples anyhow :v: (That project keeps getting bumped down the priority list... Ugh)

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

Put a glide in your stride and a dip in your hip and come on up to the mothership.

Rhyno posted:

oxbrain!

SHOW US SOME FESTIVA

I sold the last of my festivas last year. I'm down to just one car with no room or energy for project cars.

Here's a picture of what festiva life is like.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
BETRAYER

TRAITOR

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

Is this one of the recommended shops or one you chose? If it's a direct repair shop of theirs, lean on the property damage adjuster to get poo poo in order.

It's a recommended shop. Didn't exactly have a lot of options though. They didn't get back to me today...

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

oxbrain posted:

I sold the last of my festivas last year. I'm down to just one car with no room or energy for project cars.

Here's a picture of what festiva life is like.

Well, RIP your AI gimmick then I guess.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Oxbrain has no Festiva and Leica has no Miata.

What the hell just burn this loving forum down

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
How many focus rs's do i have to beat in autocross sunday to acknowledge a front geometry issue? 1? 2? 3?

I got a veloster turbo that gets poo poo on in this thread....

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
That means you can drive, they can't.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

I told you all the Veloster Turbo is a better car than the Focus RS. :smuggo:

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"
I don't know much about that kind of racing, but was the RS designed for that? I thought the smaller and nimbler the car, the better off you were. Like a miata or S2000

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

You Am I posted:

Well, RIP your AI gimmick then I guess.

I upgraded to a Fiesta. :v:

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
What is the hivemind thinking on the veloster? I like the design but never heard anything positive.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

Eifert Posting posted:

What is the hivemind thinking on the veloster? I like the design but never heard anything positive.

I'm honestly not sure why anyone would buy one when you could get a Fiesta/Focus ST for basically the same price.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Eifert Posting posted:

I test drove one when I was comparing hatches a while back and it just felt like a lovely Hyundai econobox on the inside. Didn't feel like a special car at all. Didn't drive like a special car and especially didn't sound like a special car. The shifter was numb, it didn't accelerate well, and overall just felt like a really cheaply built car, almost like a poverty spec Toyota echo.

I compared a focus st, fiesta st, golf r, gti, mazdaspeed 3, heavily modified wrx hatchback on bags, and for fun, an evo x. I settled on the fiesta because it was a good blend of fun and low cost, but it's resale value is absolute poo poo and it's not as comfortable or practical as the GTI so I have spent most of the time since I bought it wishing I had spent the extra $3k on the GTI. The veloster turbo was the worst car of the group (yep the bagged wrx was better and it sucked hard) but it sure is a pretty car.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

oxbrain posted:

I upgraded to a Fiesta. :v:

Sellout.

PabloBOOM
Mar 10, 2004
Hunchback of DOOM
I just think of the veloster like an old Audi TT. A fashion statement generally lacking in fun. Prepare to be judged accordingly.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

PabloBOOM posted:

I just think of the veloster like an old Audi TT. A fashion statement generally lacking in fun. Prepare to be judged accordingly.

That isn't giving enough credit to the TT. The TT had a nice interior and ride quality, every post-2007 Hyundai I've ever ridden in has had absolutely poo poo ride quality.

PabloBOOM
Mar 10, 2004
Hunchback of DOOM

RIP Paul Walker posted:

That isn't giving enough credit to the TT. The TT had a nice interior and ride quality, every post-2007 Hyundai I've ever ridden in has had absolutely poo poo ride quality.

True, it is an imperfect analogy. The TT still had the Audi underpinnings going for it that Hyundai... Well, nope.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Shame cause I remember seeing it for the first time in Korea and getting whiplash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
They apparently towed my car to a dealer today to try and get things figured out, so at least something is happening!