Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
In the latest Staff Vs Backers stream of Star Citizen the staff are sat watching a screen that says 'Funding Tracker' - The FTC never came.
A soft applause erupts and the screen fades to black.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

aleksendr posted:

Beer can be the straight man and you can be the mischevious, roguish one. All we need now is a foil and a love interest !

I've got dibs on the derpy comedic pratfall type! (Except please don't make me fall down. That hurts.)

VealCutlet
Dec 21, 2015

I am a marketing god, shave that shit

peter gabriel posted:

In the latest Staff Vs Backers stream of Star Marine the staff are sat watching a screen that says 'waiting for players' - The players never come.

:discourse:

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

lmao, cut her down to around 22 minutes.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Colostomy Bag posted:

lmao, cut her down to around 22 minutes.

I'm glad of it

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

I think a bad virus would be something that basically crippled your internet connection. In the future, communication is going to be vitally important and any lapse may cause untold issues.

From people not able to watch movies, to financial transactions being stalled out because all the bandwidth is used up.

I think CIG is well on their way! They know virus development! Just wait until it gets out of alpha and infects untold hundreds!

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

:getout: Burke! Wait, more like :getin:

peter gabriel posted:

In the latest Staff Vs Backers stream of Star Marine the staff are sat watching a screen that says 'waiting for players' - The players never come.
I desperately need a link with a timestamp.

Raskolnikov fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Feb 9, 2017

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

Samizdata posted:

I've got dibs on the derpy comedic pratfall type! (Except please don't make me fall down. That hurts.)

I am calling in the Bill Paxton "Pvt. Hudson" smartass typecast from Alien 2. I feel my poo poo talking mannerisms are the only real contribution I can offer besides my devastatingly good looks to the crew.

serious norman
Dec 13, 2007

im pickle rick!!!!

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

Startup companies are risky ventures. Mostly because they start with nothing but an idea. They have no supporting infrastructure at all. Most startups can have great ideas - but without a management team that investors believe in it will find startup capital very scarce and hard to come by. Banks and angel investors won't be interested unless they believe in the management team. In fact, 90% of startup companies fail. It's why investing in them is considered very high risk. But that is just the raw numbers - if you have a good sound idea with a solid management team behind it those odds can go significantly down. Star Citizen started out with CR in charge and a desire to prove to investors his idea could be profitable. He used the fundraising campaign as a vehicle to prove his product had a market. But it took an odd turn - where the fundraising actually became the source of startup capital instead of the lever to get more traditional sources of capital.

That is how SC got where it is in terms of startup capital for the company. It by no means implies they do not have actual stockholders and investors who own the company - or sources of capital they can tap if they need it. They just don't really need too much of it now from traditional sources. Especially with the ability to generate alternate streams of revenue other than pure game sales (technology, use of their name on other products, etc.). Note I'm staying completely out of the "gamers" viewpoint of the game and sticking to the "business" side of things.

Now when a startup company has obtained capital it has to start building it's infrastructures. This is office space - accounting - legal - marketing and sales - human resources - development - and of course support. These all usually go through a lot of gyrations and morphing as humans - make mistakes - they learn - and they adapt - or the company dies. Part of any startup companies painful first few years of growth. Now once the infrastructure described above is actually working and in place - the company can start really becoming productive. This usually takes about 3 years to get to a stable product generation stage past the growing pains. At this point - depending on the complexity of the product - it can take 2-4 years to get it out the door. Thus most startup companies take 5-7 years to become profitable or they have suffered some bad planning or unforeseen setbacks that usually kill the company.

In our case here "backers" are not investors in the traditional sense - where they own shares in the company. They own rights to the use of the game and certain assets access within it - but nothing more. If the company goes belly up and sold to repay investors what remains - they will not be first in line for payback. The company would probably go bankrupt and even the European odd laws could not get any money back for backers. I only note this as an example of how backers are not shareholders - which seems a common misconception for some odd reason.

That is how generic startup companies life cycles usually go. I've never expected anything different from Star Citizen. Starting in 2012-13 (debatable when they ended funding and started infrastructure build up) I've expected product delivery 2017-2019, regardless of community expectations or the typical startup companies fits, starts, and restarts and the confusion that can entail.

In any case, I see a lot of generic statements that come out of CIG that have reflected the usual confusion of a startup growing stage gradually taper off in the last year. But I still see backers taking these statements and messaging them to conform to their desires and wishes of what they "want" and try to convince themselves something has been said that has not been said. Or that they take the normal chaos periods of a startups growth and apply some perfect ideological non-existent business theology where companies make no mistakes while they go through the fits and starts of the growth period. Where the company finds things they thought could work have to be tossed out and started again.

Startups have to adapt or die. Star Citizen seems well into the last few years of the startup life cycle where the infrastructure is in place and the product is actually fully being worked on. I see nothing odd in this.

Though I do marvel at the life cycle of the backers seemingly to be stuck in "gimme it now you lying bastards" mode. Lying - and finding out something didn't work and you have to adapt - two different things.

While there is a never ending supply of backers picking up torches and pitchforks to charge the CIG castle claiming Dr. RobertStein has created some kind of monster, I shall not be joining you till after 2019. Which I have confidence will not be necessary :)

Tane

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Yes. Got to hand it to CIG that basically in 2016 they kind of built an FPS game using CryEngine. Something basically nobody has ever done before.

I guess good job and way to go. Maybe next they'll build something people want for their space ship selling webpage?

Zzr
Oct 6, 2016

How can they get views if you don't put the link here for the stream ? You monsters.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

:eyepop:

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016
Player 2 has entered the game.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Star Citizen: Call of Dookie

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
Star Citizen: 2.6.#2

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

DapperDon posted:

Player 2 has entered the game.

You're really hard to distinguish from other redditors to be honest

Hobold
Jan 10, 2012

I love my Cutlass
I love big stompy mechs
I love my HOTAS
I love to salvage wrecks
I love Star Citizen, and all it's craziness
GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA
College Slice
Stare too long into the abyss.

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

Thirsty Dog posted:

You're really hard to distinguish from other redditors to be honest

Your words wound me good sir. :negative:

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

DapperDon posted:

Your words wound me good sir. :reddit:

Zzr
Oct 6, 2016

Remember the tard that sent beers to CIG to break their productivity ? Good time. I wonder how much he's in now.

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

:laffo:

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

DapperDon posted:

Your words wound me goon sir. :kayak:

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
My belt is 2mm too slack I am oft elect to say

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Hobold posted:

Stare too long into the abyss abcess.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
What happened to Money? Haven't seen his beautiful smile for a while.

Thankfully I noticed we haven't heard from the FYAD crew recently either.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

This reminded me of you guys. Stay safe Amerigoons.

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

Truga posted:

This reminded me of you guys. Stay safe Amerigoons.

They are shredding his rear end online. It is probably one of the most terrific self owns on Twitter ever.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
If you haven't already, check out the trump thread in c-spam, it owns.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
Okay but gently caress you in advance for making me click on a Trump thread

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

Truga posted:

If you haven't already, check out the trump thread in c-spam, it owns.

Where is that??

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

starkebn posted:

They got distracted by the Everest GBS thread, so we've got until they get bored of that I'd say.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

DapperDon posted:

Where is that??

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3796979

Click last page, enjoy the ride.

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

starkebn posted:

That is what Derek has been trying to get them to tell us for ages now.

Do you think that the absents of Money is a sign?

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
ominous

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

TrustmeImLegit posted:

lol the citizens are mad

Star Citizen: Around the Verse - Ship Pipeline Pt. 1: Concept to greybox

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/5t2mfk/star_citizen_around_the_verse_ship_pipeline_pt_1/

PART 1

They revised the Banu Merchantman so many times it completely vanished from memory.

:laffo:

While I have no doubt there remain plenty of retarded whales to keep this farce going for a couple of years if CIG doesn't blow it all up on furniture it's going to be an interesting dynamic seeing an ever increasing numbers of angry whales and zealot whales duking it out. Already goons are a only a fraction of the people bitching, in 6 months time we'll barely be noticed.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Ah the ship pipeline! Quite possibly the most interesting thing that they could be showing at the moment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Dead body tech in 3.0. The stimperor will be pleased.