Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

IUG posted:

I was wondering (but too lazy to check) if the high quality PDFs were any better than the CBZ. I was just assuming since the file sizes were bigger = better! :v:

For example, here's the file sizes on the Saga book:
CBZ - 328 MB
EPUB - 655 MB
PDF - 87.5 MB
PDF (HQ) - 1.2 GB

I'll have to check this out too.
To my eyes, I've never had a complaint about the image quality of a CBZ even made from scans. One from the original publisher's digital files should look great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Is there any concrete stuff on new iPads in March or just rumors?

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Pants Donkey posted:

Last I saw, slightly conflicting rumors, and supposedly more likely to be fall/winter now.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

japtor posted:

Last I saw, slightly conflicting rumors, and supposedly more likely to be fall/winter now.

I find it highly unlikely they will bring out the new iPads during the tenth anniversary iPhone launch. It would have to be within the next two months or next year.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

I don't see why they couldn't just do an iPad presentation in mid/late October like they've done in the past. By the point all the iPhone buzz will have long died down.

lionlegs
Feb 16, 2005
Ask me about my lego spheres!

Pants Donkey posted:

I don't see why they couldn't just do an iPad presentation in mid/late October like they've done in the past. By the point all the iPhone buzz will have long died down.

I agree. I think they don't want to premiere an iPad with new features / a new design language until the new iPhones are released. Plus, October would be 2 years since the iPad Pro 12.9" model came out, so I can't imagine they would wait any longer than that to update it.

My hope is that they skip straight to an A11X chip made on a 10 nm process :pray:

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

I'll probably get something before then. Old iPad is gone and while March is fine, I think October is just too long of a wait for me.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Pants Donkey posted:

Retail supply seems to be dropping.

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Am I literally the only person who prefers the mini form factor

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Hey guys, anyone have a recommendation for a good keyboard case for an iPad Air 2? I want to stop bringing my MacBook to evening classes. I love using pages on the iPad but I miss having a physical keyboard. I used to have a small BT keyboard cover for my work iPad mini so I'm fine with using smaller keys.
Thanks in advance for any recommendations !

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Regular Nintendo posted:

:(:hf::(

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Hey guys, anyone have a recommendation for a good keyboard case for an iPad Air 2? I want to stop bringing my MacBook to evening classes. I love using pages on the iPad but I miss having a physical keyboard. I used to have a small BT keyboard cover for my work iPad mini so I'm fine with using smaller keys.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00RMMMZW0/ref=pe_1909131_77697121_tnp_email_TE_AMZLdp_3 is brilliant. Couldn't recommend it enough.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Thanks!

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

This is the one I used when I had the Air 2. It's fantastic (but expensive).
https://www.amazon.com/Belkin-QODE-Ultimate-Keyboard-Black/dp/B00Q5CZ0LQ

Regular Nintendo posted:

Nah, I use a mini at home. I have a Pro I use for work to annotate PDF project files, take meeting notes, email and Skype for Business stuff.

But at home I usually reach for the mini. It's the perfect size to stream while playing games, read a book, or just browse these dead forums with the Awful App.

I Am Crake
Mar 31, 2010

There is so much beautiful in the world if you look around. You are only looking at the dirt under your feet, Jimmy. It's not good for you.

Regular Nintendo posted:

The bigger phones cannibalized the Mini. I'm rocking an iPhone 5s/iPad Mini 2 combo. The iPhone will retire for the next up iPhone, after which I'm assuming the smaller size difference and giant performance leap will relegate this iPad to Spotify/Philips Hue control panel.

I'm really enjoying this thing still but I'm not sure with a bigger iPhone and a 13" MBP I see myself buying any iPad soon, but a new Mini is basically out of the question with how little difference it'll make to the phone.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I had a 5s, mini 2 combo. As soon as I got a 6s+ I ended up never using my mini.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
How many of you are iPad Pro (13") owners who don't have any work or comic related usage for it? I really like the idea of the bigger screen to watch videos on when I'm in bed or in the bath but I'm curious what people find good/bad about it for other purposes.

For comparison, I'm currently using an iPad Air 1, so perhaps the split-screen thing would be good for holiday planning when I'm not in front of my PC.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I went with this one in the end, thanks!

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Question Mark Mound posted:

How many of you are iPad Pro (13") owners who don't have any work or comic related usage for it? I really like the idea of the bigger screen to watch videos on when I'm in bed or in the bath but I'm curious what people find good/bad about it for other purposes.

For comparison, I'm currently using an iPad Air 1, so perhaps the split-screen thing would be good for holiday planning when I'm not in front of my PC.

I love mine. I don't use it for work and I moved up from an air 1.

No regrets.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

I don't use it for work or comics. Well, actually, kind of. I do use it to try to get used to music writing apps with the pencil and since I am a musician I guess that would be professional use. Oh wait, I use it all the time for reading sheet music with a Bluetooth page turner...that is actually the main reason I got it so I guess that means I did get it for professional use. I also got it hoping to get some of my photography workflow done on the iPad but the software is just not there yet since adobe is still crippling it even though it could be a great photo editing machine.

Anyway, I had intended to reply about how I would have bought it just for non professional usage but now that I think about it I use it mostly for music stuff and teaching lessons. Originally I was doing more with it like what you described but then I got a better laptop with a 17" screen so I don't use it as often for those things anymore. It is still much easier to throw in a bag with the keyboard case than bringing my laptop so it does still serve the purpose of general fuckery. In retrospect, if I had known that I was going to be getting the laptop that I did I might have passed on it but I am glad that I have it since it is really convenient, has a very small footprint, is very light/portable and has a great screen so if you have some disposable income I would say go for it.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

I got the 12.9, but will likely return it for a 9.7 Pro. It's just real unwieldy to use, although I adore it for watching media.

Going to play with this weekend and see if I can acclimate first.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
My 12.9" Pro is awesome. I previously had an Air 2, and the only thing I miss about it was the battery life, which I would say is 10-15% better than the big Pro.

I use mine for a bit of everything - VNC/RDP, reading books, comics, playing games, web browsing, etc. I wouldn't have it any other way, but I would be enticed by the hypothetical 10" bezel-less Pro, mostly because it would probably be a lot lighter than this 12.9" Pro.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I have the 12.9" and it's basically a sleek casual everyday laptop for me. It's the ideal device for the typical internet browsing, video watching, games, etc and I can't imagine using something smaller like an Air now. It's perfection.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

One thing that dropped dramatically when I got the pro was playing games. It is just too large for me to game comfortably with it - at least anything that requires two hands. I used to game on my Air and iPad 2 but now I rarely do on the pro and then if I want to play an iOS game I'll do it on my phone. Just something to consider when you are looking at the two sizes. For everything else, though, I definitely prefer the 12.9" pro and am glad I got it (I didn't really have a choice since I had to get the big one - the whole reason I was pumped to get the pro was so that I could look at printed music the same size it would be printed on a piece of paper)

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Thanks for the feedback everyone!

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Regular Nintendo posted:

Tiny phone, tiny pad. The only way.

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Right now undead are at the top of my shit list. Undead are complete fuckers. Those geists are fuckers. Necromancers are fuckers. Necrosavants are big time fuckers. Skeletons aren't too bad except when they bleed everyone in the company. Zombos are at least not too bad.

Does anyone know of a good way to get rid of ads on YouTube on the iPad? I can't find any apps that block ads in YouTube. I refuse to pay money for YouTube red or anything else, and I don't know what to do.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"

The Skeleton King posted:

Does anyone know of a good way to get rid of ads on YouTube on the iPad? I can't find any apps that block ads in YouTube. I refuse to pay money for YouTube red or anything else, and I don't know what to do.

protube blocks ads and works on ipad

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
ProTube blocks ads, but holy poo poo that is a frustrating app. I feel like it takes about 5 taps on the search bar to get it to register input and my playlists don't sync with the app or YouTube.

Still worth the 3 bucks. If only because now when I'm in my garage trying to figure out how to fix something I don't have to wait through an advertisement.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Google are killing the API pro tube uses in April so I'm very worried it's going to lose the background playback.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Just picked this up, love it so far. For €35 it was a total steal.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

Not useful for you unless you're on 10.1.x or 10.2, but you can jailbreak and then you have 2 good options for nixing ads on YouTube.app - Cercube 3 and Youtube++

People will poo poo all over this post for mentioning jailbreaking, but blocking app (or Apple) annoyances is basically the last thing that jailbreaking is great for.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Oh no 😑 I love ProTube and never have issues with it, except some videos occasionally needing to play in an alternate player. Background playing is not something I need frequently but I am glad it's there...why are they getting rid of the API?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

rio posted:

...why are they getting rid of the API?

Because Google don't want third party apps to be able to play videos in the background as this is a paid feature for YouTube (YouTube red)

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

rio posted:

Oh no 😑 I love ProTube and never have issues with it, except some videos occasionally needing to play in an alternate player. Background playing is not something I need frequently but I am glad it's there...why are they getting rid of the API?

Because of revenue. They either want eyeballs on the ads or everyone subscribing to YouTube Red for useful features.

e: fb :argh:

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Ugh. I wonder how many people they wi get to pay - I don't care enough that I will, I would just suck it up and eat the inconvenience. YouTube red is such a bad idea...I miss mid 2000's YouTube.

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

rio posted:

One thing that dropped dramatically when I got the pro was playing games. It is just too large for me to game comfortably with it - at least anything that requires two hands. I used to game on my Air and iPad 2 but now I rarely do on the pro and then if I want to play an iOS game I'll do it on my phone. Just something to consider when you are looking at the two sizes. For everything else, though, I definitely prefer the 12.9" pro and am glad I got it (I didn't really have a choice since I had to get the big one - the whole reason I was pumped to get the pro was so that I could look at printed music the same size it would be printed on a piece of paper)

Same. I love it for everything except games. And for games, well, I just use my phone now. I sure hope the 13" sticks around because I can't imagine going back to a 10" now.

Only thing I wish the 13 had was a split keyboard. Why the gently caress is it disabled on the only device it would be useful on?

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Because Google don't want third party apps to be able to play videos in the background as this is a paid feature for YouTube (YouTube red)
Good loving luck. I did a trial of YouTube Red last fall, and it doesn't even do picture in picture. It's literally just the sound, and that's not worth the money.

I have absolutely no idea why YouTube refuses to implement PiP for the app. Twitch has had it for a year or so.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

I just watch YouTube in Safari and the content blockers seem to work in YouTube.

...course you don't get pop out video and it maxes out at 720/30. You can do background playback...sorta. It continues in background tabs, and if you exit Safari it pauses but can continue if you hit play in control center. And for playlists it won't continue on until you switch back to the tab.

(And this was mentioned a while ago, but for the auto opening apps, if you open YouTube/whatever app links in a new tab it switches to open links in Safari by default. If you pick to open in app, it seems to switch the default to that)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Buy protube. Seriously. It's worth the three or four bucks.