Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Rhymenoserous posted:

I quite enjoyed the show. I think it would have been better as a premium (think HBO) show but that's life.

They could easily make this on the CW though, John has enough relationship/trust angst for any five or six CW verse shows and his standard decision making method generally makes Barry/Oliver look downright reasonable and responsible. There's no stupid decision they could have him make that you couldn't crack open a comic and find a much worse decision just by flipping the page. "Does something stupid with huge unintentional consequences" is baked right into the character.

Jeez that would be my nightmare.

Just to put my cards on the table, Constantine (or Hellblazer) are some of my favorite comics, and plumbing through books like All His Engines (which could work as a season by itself, a neo-noir ten episode block taking place in LA, complete with demon movie producers and everything) are treasured memories from my childhood (and even adulthood, these things hold the poo poo up).

Constantine works because of the stuff it implies, how it lets its settings imbue the plot with added significance, from the perfidy and perversity of English aristrocracy, to the pure anger of artist types against Thatcher, to the familiarity between powerful beings in any realm and the indifference they treat those lower than themselves.

Constantine also works because of how goddamn good the writing was. Mike Carey,Warren Ellis, Alan Moore, it was murderer's row of top tier creating types allowed to go hog wild on anything they drat well please, as long as they kept the atmosphere of dread and creeping terror that is the Hellblazer imprint.

The idea of giving the property to the poo poo heap hacks running the Greg Berlanti comic verse would be depressing as hell, and frankly a travesty.

Give it to someone (anyone) with chops, a record of making good drama (even if not supernatural) in either movies or TV, and give them total creator control. It's the only way to do the property right.

Also limited episodes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

mikeraskol posted:

I thought, at least with the OC, that this was because of the network. Like, the entire plot of the first season was planned to be three seasons, but he was forced to do it in one. Then, obviously, he had burned too much plot and floundered.

I'm pretty sure Sepinwall has said this. Fox kept increasing the length of the first season and they had to keep using up plot to meet demand.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Taylor Townsend was a better romantic interest for Ryan anyways.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Codependent Poster posted:

The guy created Chuck. He's okay in my book.

I also thought that the OC was good when it started? I never watched it, but I thought that was the impression.

First season was amazing, second was okay and had Olivia Wilde, third season was lame, fourth was amazing and had Kevin Sorbo as the main character's estranged father.
Gossip Girl had a similar trajectory but never reached the heights of The OC.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
The last season(s) of Chuck was/were god-awful, but it's one of the show that was treated the worst by a network. Can't blame them from struggling with how NBC treated them.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

This is cool. Amazon announced a crime series co-created by Nicholas Winding Refn and Ed Brubaker. I imagine it'll be extremely noir.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
I'm not sure what's going on on Legion but it's pretty good

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I enjoyed it. It's loving weird as poo poo though. Appropriately so. I fear that it's so weird it's going to turn off a good portion of the general audience though.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

X-O posted:

I enjoyed it. It's loving weird as poo poo though. Appropriately so. I fear that it's so weird it's going to turn off a good portion of the general audience though.

This is going to go over so many heads.

Dumbdumbs will rage because they feel stupid. Dummies.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Netflix announced a new Castlevania series yesterday. Warren Ellis is writing it:eyepop:

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

zoux posted:

Netflix announced a new Castlevania series yesterday. Warren Ellis is writing it:eyepop:

I mentioned this in the Castlevania game thread which brought this up too, but this is probably using material that Ellis wrote back in 2007.

redbackground fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Feb 9, 2017

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

So is he just a fan of the oeuvre or what? I wonder what other top tier comics writers have reams of video game fan fiction.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

zoux posted:

So is he just a fan of the oeuvre or what? I wonder what other top tier comics writers have reams of video game fan fiction.

He was commissioned to write a Castlevania III animated adaptation at that time, and I think it's just now finally being made. That website was the production blog for the abandoned project (which of course was all gung-ho at the time). James Jean, cover-artist extraordinaire was involved in the concept art, too.

redbackground fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Feb 9, 2017

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

X-O posted:

FX is going to let The Americans, which is watched by a minuscule number of people, run for six seasons, they don't care about the general audience.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

Regarding Castlevania, does this mean we're gonna get 5 episodes and then it's gonna be years before any more?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

RevKrule posted:

Regarding Castlevania, does this mean we're gonna get 5 episodes and then it's gonna be years before any more?

Brian Wood to take over starting episode six.

howe_sam posted:

FX is going to let The Americans, which is watched by a minuscule number of people, run for six seasons, they don't care about the general audience.

Yeah, FX is one of the best channels that this could be on. I think maybe their head exec is some sort of demon that is nourished only through critically acclaimed TV shows but FX gives "challenging" shows room and time to breathe, and they get rewarded by being half of every critics yearly top ten lists. They're basically the anti-Fox which is weird because I think they have the same parent co. Also Hawley probably has a lot of hand at the network thanks to the reception of Fargo.

zoux fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Feb 9, 2017

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
FX has had quite few shows run a single season and not get picked up. They don't just let everything run on and on til it finds it's footing. Offhand the gambling show with John Corbet (Luck?) and recently Lights Out only had a single season. I'm sure there are more.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Unless it does terribly I doubt Fox lets Legion go though. It wasn't the easiest thing to get going.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Rhyno posted:

Offhand the gambling show with John Corbet (Luck?)
Lucky. Luck was the HBO show that got shitcanned for killing horses or something.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Well it got cancelled because of terrible, terrible ratings but the horse death was the casus belli because they pulled the trigger on a second season order before the numbers came in.

I'm not saying that FX doesn't cancel shows with bad ratings, but Legion will have a better chance there than it would anywhere else besides maybe Netflix.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Rhyno posted:

FX has had quite few shows run a single season and not get picked up. They don't just let everything run on and on til it finds it's footing. Offhand the gambling show with John Corbet (Luck?) and recently Lights Out only had a single season. I'm sure there are more.
I remember that show about the family of conmen with Eddie Izzard as the patriarch and was bummed out when it only lasted 1 season

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

achillesforever6 posted:

I remember that show about the family of conmen with Eddie Izzard as the patriarch and was bummed out when it only lasted 1 season

The Riches had 2 seasons.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

Luck didn't have ratings or critical acclaim. It was met with luke warm reception and no one cared much about it. Married was a similar situation but got two seasons because of the names attached to it. Compare to like You're the Worst which has minimal ratings but it's also on almost every yearly top 10 list and has a cast that's almost totally unknown. It's cheap to produce and pay critical returns even if not ratings ones. It gets a lot of buzz in the proper rooms for FX. Hell, everyone was talking about their depression episode last year and their PTSD one this year.

What I'm saying is, if you're not watching You're the Worst you should be. The first two seasons are on Hulu and you have no excuse not to turn your eyeballs to it.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I enjoyed the first season of The Flash a whole heckuva lot, but then other things got in the way and I set my DVR to record seasons 2-3, as well as Legends and Supergirl, both of which I've never seen a single episode.

I made a playlist out of the episodes of those three shows and organized them by airfare, and noticed they totaled over 48 hours. I can't imagine myself watching that much comic book adaption TV, so how much of this stuff is garbage I should delete without watching?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Craptacular! posted:

I enjoyed the first season of The Flash a whole heckuva lot, but then other things got in the way and I set my DVR to record seasons 2-3, as well as Legends and Supergirl, both of which I've never seen a single episode.

I made a playlist out of the episodes of those three shows and organized them by airfare, and noticed they totaled over 48 hours. I can't imagine myself watching that much comic book adaption TV, so how much of this stuff is garbage I should delete without watching?

The entirety of Legends.

People are gonna say Flash past season 1, but I think it's still enjoyable if a little dumb at times (and especially at the end of season 2, I'll admit). But Legends is a bridge too far for me in terms of trash TV.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Feb 9, 2017

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
Flash season 2 is like a slightly dumber retread of season 1. The current season is probably slipping into dumber territory, but the cast is still good together and it manages to be moderately enjoyable for me for now. But the constant lazy writing is starting to get tiresome.

Supergirl s1 started off a bit weak but quickly becomes one of the more easily watchable CWverse shows. S2 of SG remains watchable but it occasionally suffers from the CW brain fart writing.

Legends S1 was one of the dumbest shows I've seen in a while. Almost insultingly dumb. I stopped watching it at one point. S2 has been slightly better for me, but the resolution of this last episode was Season 1 bad.

I dunno where you are regarding Arrow. The first 2 seasons were pretty good, the following 2 were kind of bad. This current season feels all over the place in terms of quality. Wild Dog is great when he is interacting with people, but the people making the show have no idea what to do with him for action scenes, so he usually does nothing. Diggle is terribly written this season. He's all over the place. They have good ideas for Ollie but seem to have trouble executing those ideas.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I don't watch Arrow at all, actually. I was watching Flash and Gotham a few seasons ago, and the series recordings never stopped.

I'll probably give Gotham season two a go, but I don't know about the third. As a guy that likes kinda stupid TV (I have a bunch of posts in the Power Rangers TV IV thread, so I can enjoy really dumb stuff) I figured I'd keep watching Flash and I've heard good things about Supergirl.

I only recorded Legends because I figured it would be Flash-verse side stories and never figured it would get a second season.

Basically I can't watch all this stuff and Legion and Riverdale too, or I'll never have the time to read another comic again. Since the jury's out on the new stuff, I thought I'd ask what I should chop from the old.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Feb 9, 2017

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

If you like Gotham you should be seeking a professional's help, not ours.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Gotham owns

well, not really, but it's a step up from the other comic book shows on network tv.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Gotham is entertainly stupid and over the top. I think of it as Batman 66 succesor, with being more mean and dark.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

ToastyPotato posted:

I dunno where you are regarding Arrow. The first 2 seasons were pretty good, the following 2 were kind of bad. This current season feels all over the place in terms of quality. Wild Dog is great when he is interacting with people, but the people making the show have no idea what to do with him for action scenes, so he usually does nothing. Diggle is terribly written this season. He's all over the place. They have good ideas for Ollie but seem to have trouble executing those ideas.

I don't watch Arrow anymore because they constantly write Oliver like he's the loving Batman or something.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

achillesforever6 posted:

The Riches. Goddamn that was a good show,

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

pubic works project posted:

I don't watch Arrow anymore because they constantly write Oliver like he's the loving Batman or something.

I wish he was written as Batman to be honest. Or Punisher. Or Daredevil, or any other vigilante with a violent streak that we've seen who has some kind of consistency in their personality and ideals. I like the idea of a vigilante struggling with the violence and killing, but Daredevil already told this story much more clearly, so it is becoming a chore seeing Ollie still struggle with this. The writers seem to want their cake and eat it to when it comes to Oliver being a killer but also being an inspiring hero who is a decent person with fun friends/team mates who go around saving the city. They are trying to portray the struggle, but its coming off very amateurish.

The show's biggest weakness is whenever it tries to be philosophical, and it tries to do that a lot.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Green Arrow is Batman.

lomzus
Mar 18, 2009
Marvel has cast more people in Runaways.

http://deadline.com/2017/02/marvels-runaways-kip-pardue-ryan-sands-angel-parker-cast-hulu-pilot-1201907267/

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

lomzus posted:

Marvel has cast more people in Runaways.

http://deadline.com/2017/02/marvels-runaways-kip-pardue-ryan-sands-angel-parker-cast-hulu-pilot-1201907267/

James Marsters (Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Angel) as Victor Stein

:siren:JAMES MARSTERS:siren:

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Wow, if they've already cast the whole Pride then they're farther along than I figured.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

X-O posted:

Wow, if they've already cast the whole Pride then they're farther along than I figured.

And it's some great casting too, I recognized more than half of them from various roles and they're all decent to good actors. And Marsters gets to be a bad guy again!

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Kevin Weisman!?! Awesome, I was just wondering what he was up to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

TwoPair posted:

People are gonna say Flash past season 1, but I think it's still enjoyable if a little dumb at times

A little?