Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
It feels so good to kill every enemy, except for dwellers. Why are there so many of these shitters?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

limited
Dec 10, 2005
Limited Sanity

Harrow posted:

Tome not selling Elixirs is mitigated a bit by the fact that praying at a shrine always gives you some Elixir if you're below a certain amount. It was four for a while, and now I get five, and I'm not sure why I get one more now but I'm certainly not complaining.
You'll also bank any extra elixirs over your carry limit, to have a full set if you need to retry a boss Bloodborne style. You can do some farming in earlier missions if not very good like me so inclined. It's a good excuse to stomp on player ghosts and earn some prestige / glory before they probably nerf it or set up some sort of matchmaking too.

tap my mountain posted:

It feels so good to kill every enemy, except for dwellers. Why are there so many of these shitters?
They feel like a stance-switch tutorial to me. When they get knocked down it's way easier to switch to high or low stance to polish 'em off. Or they're basically Nioh's Hollows and are just there for murder fodder.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
IMO the game needed more yokai based on inanimate objects coming to life.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

They're easy to kill, but they also have hyperarmor on their grabs which makes them a chore to kill if you can't get them in one combo.

knobgobblin
Oct 28, 2010

got a bone to pick
At work and all I can think about is slicing up demons while slicing up veggies.

PrinnySquadron
Dec 8, 2009

Ugh, I'm getting the boss with the ball and chains on the boat to the part where he throws consistently enough but sometimes I have no chance to get up after he's knocked me down to squish me.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Found a kuri with 20% bonus damage in high stance. The best stance. Also a charm that does 20% to poisoned baddies.

Ninja build shaping up.

limited
Dec 10, 2005
Limited Sanity

PrinnySquadron posted:

Ugh, I'm getting the boss with the ball and chains on the boat to the part where he throws consistently enough but sometimes I have no chance to get up after he's knocked me down to squish me.
You need to roll at a particular point of his toss. You'll see him lift the ball, then drop his arm just before he flings it. Double-tap dodge to get a roll sideways instead of a step, and it'll miss 90% of the time so you stay on your feet.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Oh wow, the help-descriptions for all the stats are actually relatively clear in explaining things. I also found that I had an accessory that gives me permanent Kodama sense!

small hendren
Jan 27, 2011

Zaphod42 posted:

Do you actually have the guardian spirit? If its at your bloodstain you can't use the talisman.

If you die when you have a bloodstain, the spirit returns, so that's probably it :v:

E: If you have a bloodstain and don't want to get it back, you can call it back at a shrine (but lose your amrita at the bloodstain) or you can use a summoner's candle. Or just go find your bloodstain before / as you fight the boss.

Ah okay yeah I had no idea about any of that. I just thought it was a thing i can use 3 times per prayer/death/whatever

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

I just beat the third boss Hino-Enma. As a speedy dodge build that fight was a helluva lot of fun, it was basically the two of us dodging around each other for the majority. But now I have to go to bed. gently caress you sleep, I need to play more Nioh.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Oh wow, the help-descriptions for all the stats are actually relatively clear in explaining things. I also found that I had an accessory that gives me permanent Kodama sense!

Aww man, I want that accessory bad.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Harrow posted:

Aww man, I want that accessory bad.

You are using the divination talismans to cast the sense everything spell, right? They are great.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Oh my God, I just saw the cutscene for the second story mission, GOTY 2017 this is

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
You don't actually lose anything with the Book of Reincarnation right? It just lets you redo skills and stats?

The lance is too good and I basically never use my Axe/Hammer at this point, debating resetting and putting more of those skills into body.

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

katkillad2 posted:

You don't actually lose anything with the Book of Reincarnation right? It just lets you redo skills and stats?

The lance is too good and I basically never use my Axe/Hammer at this point, debating resetting and putting more of those skills into body.

Yeah, it just resets everything to default and gives you all the amrita that you've spent. I've used like five books now because I keep wanting to try new sets/weapons. Red Demon is probably my favorite so far even if it does seem weaker than the ninjutsu set.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Does the Book of Reincarnation let you select a new Primary weapon, Secondary Weapon, and starting Guardian spirit for the 3 stat points?

Superschaf
May 20, 2010

RatHat posted:

Does the Book of Reincarnation let you select a new Primary weapon, Secondary Weapon, and starting Guardian spirit for the 3 stat points?

No but 3 stat points are almost nothing.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Got to the fourth area of Nioh and if I have one complaint is that it's not really throwing a whole lot of new enemies at me. Overall I really like the creatures I've fought but I feel like there are just too many fiends and undead warriors and lovely crawling dudes still.

Winkie01
Nov 28, 2004
I thought the Great Centipede was supposed to be easy I am a total idiot or am I missing something?

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Winkie01 posted:

I thought the Great Centipede was supposed to be easy I am a total idiot or am I missing something?

Why not both?

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Harrow posted:

Sort of. William Adams, in real life, was the first Englishman to reach Japan and the first Westerner to be granted the title of samurai. He was a sailor, trader, and explorer, though, not a great warrior. He was in the Royal Navy and fought the Spanish Armada, which he has in common with Nioh William. And the ship names are all real, as is the fact that the Liefde--the ship William was on--was the only one to reach Japan of the whole expedition. The expedition was for the Dutch East India Company, though, and the purpose was trade, not battle. Tokugawa Ieyasu employed Adams as his interpreter and chief trade advisor, which is how he was granted the title of samurai.

Nioh William is Irish and a badass warrior guy, and apparently used to be a pirate, so he's very loosely based on the real William Adams. Many of the other characters are loosely based on real people, too, including Edward Kelley (the villainous sorcerer guy) and Yasuke, the first African samurai. And I'm pretty sure almost all of the Japanese characters are based on real people.

First european but a dutch african slave got to be the first western samurai. Sorry whitey.

Samurai just meant you have a lord you have to serve in return for some land with serfs, similar to a knight in europe. They weren't really good people or adventurers, more poo poo rear end landlords with lots of free time for poetry and politics. IRL william brought knowledge of how to build western style ships to an otherwise severely closed off japan and got rewarded for it. Dutch east india company were scummy traders who totally would cause whatever political strife they could to get what they wanted. I think William had a wife in Europe that he supported with his feif in japan. He had a japanese wife too. What a baller.

About the African born samurai, he was Nobunaga's weapon carrier IIRC, and 6'4" which would be absolutely monstrous in feudal japan. Black skin wasn't prejudiced in feudal japan, perhaps the opposite, so when Nobunaga heard of a giant christian black skinned japanese speaking foreigner he was super excited to enlist him and make him a close retainer. When Nobunaga and his successor were deposed the enemy army didn't exactly know what to do with him. Should they decapitate a non japanese? Better to give him back to the dutch. Unsurprisingly his historical record ends the moment he's returned to dutch captor hands.

Modest Mao fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Feb 10, 2017

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

tap my mountain posted:

They feel fine to me so long as I switch to low stance when they start scrabbling around. The only downside is there doesn't seem to be any defense against their grabs and I can't even see a tell that tips you off that they're about to do it.

So far the only bullshit design I've found are the bats in the 2nd level. There's really no way of surviving your first encounter with them aside from getting lucky.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Deified Data posted:

They feel fine to me so long as I switch to low stance when they start scrabbling around. The only downside is there doesn't seem to be any defense against their grabs and I can't even see a tell that tips you off that they're about to do it.

So far the only bullshit design I've found are the bats in the 2nd level. There's really no way of surviving your first encounter with them aside from getting lucky.

Playing online? I had 5 "fell to death" graves before the turn. If you turn the camera around the content you see them glowing while in a gamey way.

But I'm the dummy who didn't bow at door monsters...

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Modest Mao posted:

First european but a dutch african slave got to be the first western samurai. Sorry whitey.

Samurai just meant you have a lord you have to serve in return for some land with serfs, similar to a knight in europe. They weren't really good people or adventurers, more poo poo rear end landlords with lots of free time for poetry and politics. IRL william brought knowledge of how to build western style ships to an otherwise severely closed off japan and got rewarded for it. Dutch east india company were scummy traders who totally would cause whatever political strife they could to get what they wanted. I think William had a wife in Europe that he supported with his feif in japan. He had a japanese wife too. What a baller.

About the African born samurai, he was Nobunaga's weapon carrier IIRC, and 6'4" which would be absolutely monstrous in feudal japan. Black skin wasn't prejudiced in feudal japan, perhaps the opposite, so when Nobunaga heard of a giant christian black skinned japanese speaking foreigner he was super excited to enlist him and make him a close retainer. When Nobunaga and his successor were deposed the enemy army didn't exactly know what to do with him. Should they decapitate a non japanese? Better to give him back to the dutch. Unsurprisingly his historical record ends the moment he's returned to dutch captor hands.

See thats bullshit cause Nobunaga was revived by the demons.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

What stance do you guys default to? I read low stance is the best for that but to me it feels the most useless. Which is weird because I much prefer fast attacks generally.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I like low stance for kicking skeletons, but I mostly switch between mid and high

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Yeah mid feels most useful to me.

One more. What equip % do I need to stay under to be the most mobile?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I'm using the kusarigama and have been mostly focusing on high stance and mid. Low doesn't seem to add much when high has both a super long-range attack and is still pretty quick with the light combo, and mid has a good AOE attack

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Maybe a stupid question, but is there any way to manually cycle twilight missions? I've had two I can't do because I haven't finished the corresponding main missions for ages now.

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

veni veni veni posted:

Yeah mid feels most useful to me.

One more. What equip % do I need to stay under to be the most mobile?

there's a lower level than that but I don't see much difference.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

About how much Stamina should I expect to need to stay in the green wearing medium armor? I'd been comfortably in the green for all of the first region, but wearing Tachibana's full set gets me all the way to 80% equip load with base Stamina and I was kind of hoping not to have to invest too heavily in that. Is this just how good medium armor is, or is this set just especially heavy?

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
I'm usually using Low Stance with dual katanas and High with the scythe-and-chain, however it's spelled. The damage is just okay without investing in its stat, but the range on that scythe heavy attack is too good to pass up.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
I'm curious to see how speedruns turn out, I'm hoping the combat is optimized and not "we dash attack and ki pulse after every attack" for three hours

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008
What stats, besides life, should I be focusing on for a dual katanas/scythe build? I've just been dumping points into dex/skill.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Bogart posted:

I'm usually using Low Stance with dual katanas and High with the scythe-and-chain, however it's spelled.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Lol

I want to try the other guardian spirits eventually (the ones thst weren't in the demos), but do far I just can't give up my bird with hair.

He has hair! What a badass.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

What's the best-looking light armor you've found? I'm thinking of switching from medium to light eventually because I can't block big, heavy attacks with medium armor toughness anyway so screw Toughness :v:

BoyBlunder posted:

What stats, besides life, should I be focusing on for a dual katanas/scythe build? I've just been dumping points into dex/skill.

Whatever you need for armor. Body/Skill for light armor, Body/Strength for medium, Stamina/Strength for heavy. So if you're leveling your Life (probably with Body) and Skill you're basically set to keep doing what you're doing if you're using light armor.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Feb 10, 2017

Foppish Yet Dashing
Jun 29, 2004

-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
Ok what the gently caress do I do get out of stun in the second boss fight bat lady? That poo poo lasts for eternity.

Fight isn't as bad as people say until that poo poo happens. Got her down to about 50% on my first three tries. Only reason I'm dying is because I get stunned and then murdered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.
Yo does anybody know what determines if an armor set gets added to the forge list at the blacksmith? It seems 100% arbitrary.