Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Ultima66 posted:

People correcting this and not getting the joke never gets old.

And like 90% of memes, they are nothing but lovely jokes that I will do everything in my power to drain the humor out of. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
Hear my voice, Wizards. I just ordered 4 CASES of Modern Masters 2017 2 hours ago. SIXTEEN boxes.
I came home and read you are dropping even more Modern events. I'm regretting the order now.
I bought FIFTEEN boxes of MM15.
I bought a case of Eternal Masters.
I'll have to re-evaluate the state of Modern as a playable format before making another such purchase next year when Eternal Masters 2018 releases.
While I realize you make the bulk of your money on Standard, I don't play Standard. I find rotation to be too expensive (yeah, I find that statement funny too) and the effort of keeping up with the current decks to be too much. I play Modern and EDH. My future in the game rests with the state of Modern. Act accordingly.
P.S. It's time for another Grand Prix in Salt Lake City, isn't it? I was not playing yet last time it came here.

Jenx
Oct 17, 2012

Behold the Bull of Heaven!

Sickening posted:

My future in the game rests with the state of Modern. Act accordingly.

This. this is the line that did it.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Sickening posted:

Hear my voice, Wizards. I just ordered 4 CASES of Modern Masters 2017 2 hours ago. SIXTEEN boxes.

It was this one for me.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
My store seems really happy about the change. Apparently they've been asking for something like this.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

mossyfisk posted:

My store seems really happy about the change. Apparently they've been asking for something like this.

What in the announcements benefits stores?

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

The local scene (Finnish) is definitely excited for the Nationals comeback. WMCQs were always a really lukewarm replacement for the weekend event that Nationals was, brough Magic players in the country together, and had a real tangible prize on the line with the four Worlds slots.

Really depends on how the new Nationals will be in the end. It sounded a bit like it's going to be standard only which is a bit of a bummer, being a big mixed tournament (4 rounds standard, two drafts, 4 rounds standard, standard top 8) over two days made them feel special. One day standard only Nats indeed would be pretty much just a WMCQ with an extra slot.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000

Sickening posted:

I've no idea, I'm just going off what the owner posted on facebook.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Sickening posted:

Pushing Standard as The FormatTM should - in theory - boost the sales of Standard-related product. In this theoretical model, both WotC and stores should benefit from increased sales.

In reality, though, it's just going to alienate players who lack access to major centers further. As I've mentioned previously, I'm here in Alaska, and in the LGS regularly play/Judge for their only major events have been GPTs (and the occasional PPTQ) and even then only because there's about half a dozen players with the means and drive to take those winnings to tournaments beyond the state.

The players in the store groups are already lamenting the changes. There's a guy who has a standing order for 2 cases of new product every release and he was very public about his cancelling of this standing order.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
God I feel so out of touch. GPTs haven't been a big deal around here for a long time, possibly they were popular when they were first announced and then never again. I'm liking Wizards's new push on multiple fronts to get people playing Standard again, even though I'm dubious they're going to work as long as they format is unfun. I feel like the restriction on "feelbads" like good counterspells, graveyard removal (so that people can play the fun graveyard set without their graveyards being nuked) and creature removal has helped new player growth for a long time, but it's had a tremendous negative effect on the tournament crowd. It's got to be hard to design cards in a way that pleases both the casual and competitive playerbases, but I think that's led to the two or three deck Standards we've been suffering through. Am I wrong? I don't play constructed a lot.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
These PTQs are gonna be a giant clusterfuck. They are going to charge unreasonable prices for them (looks like the one at GP NJ is 75 bucks) and they are going to fill up right away with pre reg's. What if you make day 2 of the GP? It's a bad idea.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

mcmagic posted:

These PTQs are gonna be a giant clusterfuck. They are going to charge unreasonable prices for them (looks like the one at GP NJ is 75 bucks) and they are going to fill up right away with pre reg's. What if you make day 2 of the GP? It's a bad idea.

GP Vancouver has Pre-Reg for the day two PTQ. It has a 226 player cap.
It costs $75 USD (or $100 CAD) and if you day 2 the GP they refund $50 of your reg fee, only if you DROP FROM DAY TWO OF THE GP TO PLAY THE PTQ

https://twitter.com/GameKeeperQC/status/829770941374816256

Edit: They had online pre-registration up for about an hour before overwhelming negative pressure got to them.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

mcmagic posted:

Its still early of course but some stuff is going to need to get ironed out.

Price? It seriously can't be around the level of Gp its attached to.
Format? Is it dictated by WOTC or can the TO choose?
Pre-regs? Selling out of a PTQ before the event happens is going to be real for every modern one for sure.

I think the cap needs to go up.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
lol they are going to charge a shitload for GPT's and PTQ's while having to give zero dollars back as prize support

~*people will buy it anyways*~

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

there was a GP recently like a 20 minute drive from where I live and then I saw it cost $80 to enter and was like "lolnope I'd rather waste my money on actual cards"

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

BJPaskoff posted:

God I feel so out of touch. GPTs haven't been a big deal around here for a long time, possibly they were popular when they were first announced and then never again. I'm liking Wizards's new push on multiple fronts to get people playing Standard again, even though I'm dubious they're going to work as long as they format is unfun. I feel like the restriction on "feelbads" like good counterspells, graveyard removal (so that people can play the fun graveyard set without their graveyards being nuked) and creature removal has helped new player growth for a long time, but it's had a tremendous negative effect on the tournament crowd. It's got to be hard to design cards in a way that pleases both the casual and competitive playerbases, but I think that's led to the two or three deck Standards we've been suffering through. Am I wrong? I don't play constructed a lot.

Khans had the feelbads you describe and was a great set. Battle for Zendikar was the first set without them and it and the sets after have been pretty bad for constructed.

e:

The continuous growth from every fall set ended with BFZ, Kaladesh was the first set in a while to not sell more than the last fall set.

ThePeavstenator fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Feb 10, 2017

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
If they want people to play Standard more they gotta stop making formats revolve around chase mythics from small sets.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Entropic posted:

If they want people to play Standard more they gotta stop making formats revolve around chase mythics from small sets.

Don't worry, now you can play those chase mythics for nearly two years since they changed to set rotation back!

Aside from Emrakul or Copter or whatever gets banned in a few weeks, of course.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Entropic posted:

I can't remember the tweet but one of the SCG grinders actually bitched about no playable mythics from revolt.

KillarySwank
Jun 24, 2013

Lemon Flavoured

Sickening posted:

I can't remember the tweet but one of the SCG grinders actually bitched about no playable mythics from revolt.

Grinders: The worst type of Magic player.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
It seems like everyone wants to play Standard until the first major rotation that invalidates their first few favorite decks, then they want to play Modern. I mean, it happened for me when Theros left at BFZ after I got started around M14/Theros. By then I was tired of chasing cards around and settling into Modern. All Non-Rotating players are unsustainable for the game, but since those people stop going so hard after new cards you also have to bring in that many players every 2 years or whatever.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Bring back Extended.

The natural cycle of extended is such that you can play a deck in standard, keep playing it in extended after it rotates, and then by the time it rotates out of extended there's usually been at least one standard format you're happy enough to jump back into.

Yes, extended was killed the first time for lack of player numbers. But the game's seen so much growth since then that there should be enough interest to maintain a format this time. And it's way less dishonest than having card sellers pushing this frontier crap.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Sickening posted:

Except for Heart of Kiran showing up in like 7 of the top 8 decks as a 3/4-of.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Jabor posted:

Bring back Extended.

The natural cycle of extended is such that you can play a deck in standard, keep playing it in extended after it rotates, and then by the time it rotates out of extended there's usually been at least one standard format you're happy enough to jump back into.

Yes, extended was killed the first time for lack of player numbers. But the game's seen so much growth since then that there should be enough interest to maintain a format this time. And it's way less dishonest than having card sellers pushing this frontier crap.

Extended was killed because they switched from 7-block to 4-block format. When they did that it became "bunch of old Standard decks" kind of like Frontier, and at that point nobody wanted to ever play Extended so it died. Around that time, people started playing Overextended, basically Modern but from Onslaught-forwards, which then became Modern. An updated 7-block Extended could be plenty fun, probably increasing it to 10-block when more 2-set blocks come out. Right now, seven blocks would be INN, RTR, THS, KTK, BFZ, SOI and KLD, which sounds pretty drat sweet to be honest. It's gotta be a lot less lovely than loving Frontier.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Frontier is currently, what, Khans / BFZ / SOI / Kaladadesh blocks and M15 / Origins? Basically just current standard but with Khans block and two core sets?

It seems like something that needs another year or two to actually be a different enough format.

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

Hellsau posted:

Extended was killed because they switched from 7-block to 4-block format. When they did that it became "bunch of old Standard decks" kind of like Frontier, and at that point nobody wanted to ever play Extended so it died. Around that time, people started playing Overextended, basically Modern but from Onslaught-forwards, which then became Modern. An updated 7-block Extended could be plenty fun, probably increasing it to 10-block when more 2-set blocks come out. Right now, seven blocks would be INN, RTR, THS, KTK, BFZ, SOI and KLD, which sounds pretty drat sweet to be honest. It's gotta be a lot less lovely than loving Frontier.

Extended was changed because of low player numbers. The first change (before they scrapped it and made modern) just ended up making things worse, though.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I'd be all over Frontier if it went one block further back and you could play Nykthos decks in it.

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

Old extended, the format some people thought Llanowar Elves into Call of the Herd was a powerful play while the guy to the left of them was casting Skullclamp into Arcbound Ravager and the guy to the right of them was playing with 4 Chrome Mox, 2 Mox Diamond, and a playset of Mind's Desire.

E: Unironically bring this format back.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Ultima66 posted:

Old extended, the format some people thought Llanowar Elves into Call of the Herd was a powerful play while the guy to the left of them was casting Skullclamp into Arcbound Ravager and the guy to the right of them was playing with 4 Chrome Mox, 2 Mox Diamond, and a playset of Mind's Desire.

E: Unironically bring this format back.

Make ~2003 Extended a nonrotating GP format

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

I'll keep chucking bombs at you til you fall off that ledge!
Grimey Drawer
I used to have an excellent LGS that would support Block Party (any block deck from any block, current banlists) and occasionally even BYOB (build your own block). Had hella fun Natural Ordering into a Thorn Elemental or casting Plow Under on via Rofellos or Priest of Titania by turn 3 most games. One other format I always wanted to play was the Invitational format where you had to bid starting cards in hand and starting life on specific pre-built decks that had won tourneys.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Smashing Link posted:

. One other format I always wanted to play was the Invitational format where you had to bid starting cards in hand and starting life on specific pre-built decks that had won tourneys.

I've wanted to try this for a long time.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Snacksmaniac posted:

I've wanted to try this for a long time.

They should do this for PT gauntlets instead of the silly "get a deck at random, sucks to be you if you're given the deck that was a total dog against the rest of the top 8"

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
They have to realize that there are players like me who will not play standard, and if they cut out legacy (already happened imo) and modern, we just won't do organized play anymore.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Babylon Astronaut posted:

They have to realize that there are players like me who will not play standard, and if they cut out legacy (already happened imo) and modern, we just won't do organized play anymore.

And that modern events sell packs through event prizes. It doesn't sell as much, but its sales you miss when you under support something. It also means that keeping people interested in other formats other than your flagship one might eventually play the standard format when you actually make it good again. cutting modern events now, while standard is poo poo, does not help them as a business.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Elyv posted:

Make ~2003 Extended a nonrotating GP format

93/94 Magic : the next generation

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
You can cast plow under on turn 3 off rofellos if you play cube

Play cube

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

Sickening posted:

Removing modern PPTQ's would be WOTC committing sudoku.

new thread title btw when someone gets a chance

Minority Deport
Mar 28, 2010
I know Frontier is everyone's punching bag, but I never really got why everyone hated it until SaffronOlive put out this series of games he played. Featuring an Ensoul Artifact deck he forgot to put Ensoul Artifact in!

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive
Matt Sperling is streaming on twitch on the channel "pantheonmagic" playing jhoira (i believe?) against Dave Williams. Also, Sperling is completely hammered. Still playing better than SaffronOlive and also sounding a lot less annoying too

Now he is playing Momir jhoira vs Tom Martell, Martell won and the best trash talk he could come up with was "you fool"

Dehtraen fucked around with this message at 08:52 on Feb 10, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Sickening posted:

They were also super easy for ANY lgs to put together because you didn't need a L2. L2's have quite a cartel going on at the moment.

Yeah I mean we're just raking it in hand over fist working like 10 hours for a £65 box :rolleyes:

• Locked thread