Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

graham cracker
Mar 8, 2004

"There is no God! Right, Mama?"

"True."

Asiina posted:

New TAZ episode is out!

I'm so hyped.

For reals. I need new TAZ episode like I need my Pringies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012
Buglord

flatluigi posted:

if only you had actually bothered to read before threadshitting you would've learned the conversation was about rules-light systems that might fight the show better when they move to the next version of TAZ

I'm gonna take a big dump on your posts

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

showbiz_liz posted:

I mean, regardless of any system they use or don't, they are definitely going to lose a chunk of listeners who just CANNOT HANDLE losing these three characters and moving on to new ones when the campaign is over.

I was actually wondering about this at the end of the Eleventh Hour arc. It was pretty clear that none of the characters were going to take the offer from the chalice, but what if one of them had? I imagine it would be a situation where Griffin says "hand over your character sheet and make a new one", which Griffin must have planned for. I'd like to imagine what that path would have been like.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Eventually we're going to get into some meta poo poo in TAZ2 where the new Travis character has a chance encounter with Taako while the new Justin character isn't around.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
Yeah, okay, I can imagine what Taako does is supposed to maybe take a little more time and preparation than that.

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

inthesto posted:

I was actually wondering about this at the end of the Eleventh Hour arc. It was pretty clear that none of the characters were going to take the offer from the chalice, but what if one of them had? I imagine it would be a situation where Griffin says "hand over your character sheet and make a new one", which Griffin must have planned for. I'd like to imagine what that path would have been like.

Oh I don't know about that! I'm sure he had a plan, but I doubt it was just to immediately kill one of them.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
Okay that was a goodass episode.

I wish it was longer because I was still tired as hell of the fights that took up a fair chunk, but this is when TAZ is at its best where they're in this pseudo-combat situation.

And yes, I can forgive the casting time rules lawyer stuff because that was dope as hell. I need some fanart of that scene IMMEDIATELY.

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006

flatluigi posted:

Yeah, okay, I can imagine what Taako does is supposed to maybe take a little more time and preparation than that.

Nah. Polymorph really is broken:

https://roll20.net/compendium/dnd5e/Polymorph#content

WINNERSH TRIANGLE
Aug 17, 2011

Ooh wow, that really was an amazing episode, I really loved in when Taako-

I WANNA MUNCH!

SQUAD!

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

I think he meant the soul jar spell.

Although yes, Polymorph is hilarious. You can turn yourself or someone else into a beast up to your level challenge rating which is insanity. For reference, Moon Druids which specialize into turning into animals max out at around CR 6 and that's only at level 18, so to be level 10 and turn into a CR10 beast is crazy.

I've used it, it's a wonderful spell.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Asiina posted:

Although yes, Polymorph is hilarious. You can turn yourself or someone else into a beast up to your level challenge rating which is insanity. For reference, Moon Druids which specialize into turning into animals max out at around CR 6 and that's only at level 18, so to be level 10 and turn into a CR10 beast is crazy.

I've used it, it's a wonderful spell.

Wizard Supremacy rears its ugly head again.

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006

Asiina posted:

Even with that one, it's only a minute-long cast plus something worth 500 gold. They've done much worse.

I'm now really wondering about the Director. The liches don't seem the type to just let people leave Wonderland even with the deal to sacrifice Cam. Is she being possessed/controlled?

Justin or Travis had to be guiding Clint through that last play. I refuse to believe that Clint has gotten that good at D&D

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Ziggy Tzardust posted:

I'm now really wondering about the Director. The liches don't seem the type to just let people leave Wonderland even with the deal to sacrifice Cam. Is she being possessed/controlled?

I think the liches figure that freed players serve an advertising function to add to Wonderland's mystique. It's more risky and exciting if both winners and losers share their stories with the outside world; they just don't need to possess the latter.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

Ziggy Tzardust posted:

Even with that one, it's only a minute-long cast plus something worth 500 gold. They've done much worse.

Justin or Travis had to be guiding Clint through that last play. I refuse to believe that Clint has gotten that good at D&D

To be fair, the spell Merle used at the end doesn't actually do what it did, not even close.

I'm kind of hoping that in the next episode, with Magnus doing more bodyswap shenanigans, he gets some of the spellcasting powers that the liches have

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

WINNERSH TRIANGLE posted:

Ooh wow, that really was an amazing episode, I really loved in when Taako-

I WANNA MUNCH!

SQUAD!

Of course it's a Hawaiian pizza.

This makes me want to die.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Oh no! Merle's connection to Pan hasn't been severed because of Wonderland. It's been severed because The Hunger has overtaken the Etherial Plane, where all of the gods live.

Pan is dead.

Ariong fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Feb 9, 2017

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I refuse to believe Clint made that last action on his own. Still, great episode.

Beekeeping and You
Sep 27, 2011

Ariong posted:

Oh no! Merle's connection to Pan hasn't been severed because of Wonderland. It's been severed because The Hunger has overtaken the Etherial Plane, where all of the gods live.

Pan is dead.

I thought it was just because merle's kind of a poo poo cleric and pan was like "no, you know what, gently caress it"

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

Beekeeping and You posted:

I thought it was just because merle's kind of a poo poo cleric and pan was like "no, you know what, gently caress it"

i figure it's either what ariong said or something to do with the liches
i was going to say maybe because they're stuck in this weird other dimension but then i remember it started right at the beginning of the arc before they even got near wonderland

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
I liked the subtle foreshadowing in the commercial section this week. word. of. mouth.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQnWZJmJC64

A great Car Boys episode.

Got your nose!

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
i think one thing that would have made a big difference is if travis had received the equivalent of the umbra staff instead of justin. for taako, it's barely ever come up, but it'd be cool if magnus had a few extra tricks.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Somberbrero posted:

i think one thing that would have made a big difference is if travis had received the equivalent of the umbra staff instead of justin. for taako, it's barely ever come up, but it'd be cool if magnus had a few extra tricks.

His magic shield should also learn monster abilities after he fights them and basically make him a Blue Mage.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

"The Crucifixion of Jesus Christ by the Romans"

Oil on Canvas.

G. McElroy, N.Robinson.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
That TAZ ending was dope.

Do you think the thing that threw Griffin into a panic was polymorph or just the boys being able to get Magnus back? I wonder if he had a whole story built around Magnus being in the other plane.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

PostNouveau posted:

That TAZ ending was dope.

Do you think the thing that threw Griffin into a panic was polymorph or just the boys being able to get Magnus back? I wonder if he had a whole story built around Magnus being in the other plane.

The latter for sure.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
He did say he was worried that the polymorph would throw the fight out of balance, but also he was the one controlling when it ended, so I think it was definitely the second bit.

I also wished that Merle had tried to grab Kravitz instead of the two boys who seemed to be doing fine with Taako's nat20 strength role.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

If I had to guess I think Griffin had plans for Magnus to come back in the puppet body eventually, the guys just magic'd in a shortcut is all.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

Somberbrero posted:

Magnus being able to steal the fighting styles of bruiser bosses wouldn't be a bad idea

Or at least he should be able to stick all those robot and mannequin arms in his back and turn into Asura

El Padrino
Dec 24, 2005

No es nada personal, solo negocios.
So... THB being Red Robes... Did anyone else notice that Lydia calls it 'your' Animus Bell before they use it to take over Magnus' body?

mythomanic
Aug 19, 2009

El Padrino posted:

So... THB being Red Robes... Did anyone else notice that Lydia calls it 'your' Animus Bell before they use it to take over Magnus' body?

I had assumed that was because it was the prize they set out to get.

Zeeman
May 8, 2007

Say WHAT?! You KNOW that post is wack, homie!

Ariong posted:

Pan is dead.

Sorry, can someone remind me what The Hunger is?

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
Also Magnus is a red robe, we don't know if either of the others are.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

Zeeman posted:

Sorry, can someone remind me what The Hunger is?

The thing that's destroying the universe by eating all the planes and stars.

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008
Here's a pretty thorough rundown of "Cryptic poo poo From The Adventure Zone" that talks about the Hunger (among other things). I've found it pretty useful for wild speculation.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Jesus. I thought the T-Rex was gonna be the dopest poo poo that Griffin was talking about. I WAS SO WRONG.

What does Merle's thing actually do? I'm glad for the effect given, but I wanna see what they got away with. Also, does Clint still record with Justin? if so then I don't doubt for a minute that Justin had the spells for that entire segment written down and just slid a piece of paper to him to read out loud.

MorningMoon fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Feb 10, 2017

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

showbiz_liz posted:

I mean, regardless of any system they use or don't, they are definitely going to lose a chunk of listeners who just CANNOT HANDLE losing these three characters and moving on to new ones when the campaign is over. When whatever the new campaign is starts, and the new characters are less fleshed-out (because of course they won't be, because that takes time), there are definitely going to be some people who are just like "this show is no longer TAZ" and jump ship.

(I mean not gonna lie I'll be pretty sad about it)

They should completely write their own epilogues for their characters to smooth things over.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

ALFbrot posted:

Wow great idea, maybe people in this thread could list some other tabletop systems??? with extensive arguments about the pros and cons??? that sounds awesome

i would love a Paranoia bonus episode in between campaigns

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Maybe a Fiasco run, I bet they could have a ball with Fiasco.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006
I'm starting to wonder if saving Magnus had completely screwed up what Griffin had planned. Given that Magnus had the entire red robe history to go on, I think the plan was to have him die. Noelle and the three dead bosses all regained their memories after they died and came back so this was the big chance to give him back his big backstory.

Alternatively, Griffin will handwave it by going "you were halfway in the astral plane when Taako pulled you out so here's your memories back"