Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Serf
May 5, 2011

inthesto posted:

As somebody who prefers to play melee dudes in D&D, I really feel for Travis when he's struggling to come up with super convoluted plans to do something cool without any magic. I breathed a sigh of relief when Justin said "You don't think a wet rope is conductive, do you?" but Griffin let it fly anyway. I can't count the number of times I've had a DM drag in IRL physics to say no to non-casters while letting the casters go nuts. I think the way to ameliorate this is to fill scenery with a lot of tiny details that can be used in a fight, ala a set in a Jackie Chan film; it's just that most DMs (self included) don't go through the effort of detailing stuff to that level.

I feel bad for Travis because he wanted to play a warrior fighty person, but just happened to pick the Fighter class in the system that makes being that person the most boring experience possible. Like it is an appealing archetype and I can see why it would be a good fit for Travis, and it's not his fault that D&D Fighters are just straight-up a lovely class. A lot of systems suffer from the question of how to make the fightmans class interesting, and D&D and many of its derivatives just have no way to make it fun to play the guy who hits people. Griffin is doing his best to give Travis fun options by letting his crazy plans work, and I love that. But that's not how it is out of the box.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
I'd be a lot more annoyed at Travis never rolling below a 15 if it wasn't for the fact that he has to or he doesn't get to act.

Also holy poo poo does Griffin love to play 'disarm the party' too much.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

VanSandman posted:

Also holy poo poo does Griffin love to play 'disarm the party' too much.
It's kind of clear from that that Tumblr post a few weeks back that he wrestles with power creep in D&D games, perhaps overly so. He thinks it's going to be a problem, so it becomes problematic.

SoupyTwist
Feb 20, 2008

Serf posted:

I feel bad for Travis because he wanted to play a warrior fighty person, but just happened to pick the Fighter class in the system that makes being that person the most boring experience possible. Like it is an appealing archetype and I can see why it would be a good fit for Travis, and it's not his fault that D&D Fighters are just straight-up a lovely class. A lot of systems suffer from the question of how to make the fightmans class interesting, and D&D and many of its derivatives just have no way to make it fun to play the guy who hits people. Griffin is doing his best to give Travis fun options by letting his crazy plans work, and I love that. But that's not how it is out of the box.

But he's a rogue now too, doesn't that let him do more interesting stuff? (Although how rogue-like can he be if he rushes in all the time)

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

SoupyTwist posted:

But he's a rogue now too, doesn't that let him do more interesting stuff? (Although how rogue-like can he be if he rushes in all the time)

I think he forgets about that. Like a few eps ago when he was blocked entry to the prison cells by two guards he didn't try to sneak by them or anything, he just clobbered them. I guess it was worth it because it lead to him screaming "my boys!" when then were (probably) hilariously killed but still.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

SoupyTwist posted:

If fighters didn't exist, rogues would be the "most useless and easily outclassed by magic users" class.

Serf
May 5, 2011

SoupyTwist posted:

I haven't read 5E (don't buy 5E and don't play 5E), but in previous editions the rogue just became a skillmonkey who could also dish out more damage with sneak attacks. They're not really that much more mechanically interesting than a fighter, but can find and disarm traps, unlock doors, tell lies, etc. They could get into some cool poo poo with prestige classes, but I have no idea how those work, or how multiclassing works, in Fifth Edition.

PrinnySquadron
Dec 8, 2009

Rogue in 5th gets an Archtype that lets them cast spells, on top of getting tons of skills.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD
Good news everyone, 2017 was only one month because there's a new Besties already.

djnkro
Sep 16, 2007
I've been playing D&D since 1996, DMing for almost as long. The rules shouldn't get in the way of the fun. So I'm don't mind the Zone playing fast and loose.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

djnkro posted:

I've been playing D&D since 1996, DMing for almost as long. The rules shouldn't get in the way of the fun. So I'm don't mind the Zone playing fast and loose.

I just wish they'd use a system with better rules.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
I think it's definitely served them fine for the show so far but in The Adventure Zone 2 it'd be cool if they messed with some of the systems that Friends at the Table have messed with (or at least reached out to Austin for recommendations/ideas)

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
Wow great idea, maybe people in this thread could list some other tabletop systems??? with extensive arguments about the pros and cons??? that sounds awesome

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

PrinnySquadron posted:

Rogue in 5th gets an Archtype that lets them cast spells, on top of getting tons of skills.

Yes, but Magnus isn't going to get that far up the Rogue tree.

Straight up Rogue isn't much better than fighter for go up and hit things, it's just instead of running in with a bigass sword and standing in the way, you jab them with something pointy then disengage. It's good to give him more movement options and for a few non-combat things like picking locks, but ultimately isn't going to change his use in a fight.

Serf
May 5, 2011

PrinnySquadron posted:

Does the rogue get that via multiclassing? And really that's just wallpapering over the fact that magic is the option that allows players to have the most narrative control over the game, and therefore the most engagement with the story.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

TAZ should use RISUS rules.

Running a one-off game of that was just about the most fun I've ever had in a tabletop.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

Serf posted:

Does the rogue get that via multiclassing? And really that's just wallpapering over the fact that magic is the option that allows players to have the most narrative control over the game, and therefore the most engagement with the story.

No, it's one of the built in archetypes called Arcane Trickster.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Asiina posted:

No, it's one of the built in archetypes called Arcane Trickster.

Sorry, I phrased my question poorly. Does a person who multiclasses into rogue get access to that archetype?

If spells are gonna be the great equalizer, the fighter should have access to some kind of mystic knight option that gives them spells too.

Hmm... there was an edition of D&D that gave everyone cool powers to use and allowed anyone to use traditional spells outside of combat...

poor life choice
Jul 21, 2006

flatluigi posted:

I think it's definitely served them fine for the show so far but in The Adventure Zone 2 it'd be cool if they messed with some of the systems that Friends at the Table have messed with (or at least reached out to Austin for recommendations/ideas)

Yeah, I think about both the McElroys and Dungeon World a lot so I've wondered. Like I think Travis would play a kickass DW wizard - there's an ability called "Ritual" that amounts to you telling the GM what your spell accomplishes and the GM says what casting it requires in terms of actions, materials, etc; instant adventure hook, and Travis seems really into coming up with things his character can do. The guy playing a wizard in Friends at the Table as literally never used it, and it seems like such an iconic ability! Meanwhile I think Justin and Clint benefit from being able to flip through a deck of D&D spells for a funny or timely thing, and it works.

Dungeon World is so freeform, it seems like it would be a big change for players but perhaps more importantly fans. Like some people just get really salty, just really impossibly pissbaby angry, like unreasonably sarcastic and rude, if you suggest something that potentially changes what they like or find familiar, you know?

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

ALFbrot posted:

Wow great idea, maybe people in this thread could list some other tabletop systems??? with extensive arguments about the pros and cons??? that sounds awesome

They should play FATAL

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008
Listening back, it occurred to me that the arc that probably played to Magnus's abilities the best was the race in Petals to the Metal, because it was several episodes of pretty much 100% combat. He got to make strategic decisions about where to jump and how to approach enemies, he had a set objective in 'protect the car,' etc. I know some people didn't like the race but I thought it was awesome (possibly because I didn't start listening to the show until that arc was over, so I didn't need to wait for it to end), and it definitely contrasts with the other arcs in being less of a puzzle and more of a giant brawl.

Not saying Griffin should have redesigned anything in particular about the other arcs in order to give Magnus more poo poo to do, but it seems like the things he prefers to do as a DM just don't lend themselves to fighter characters, and not just in a "well, that's because of the rules in 5E" way.

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

poor life choice posted:

Dungeon World is so freeform, it seems like it would be a big change for players but perhaps more importantly fans. Like some people just get really salty, just really impossibly pissbaby angry, like unreasonably sarcastic and rude, if you suggest something that potentially changes what they like or find familiar, you know?

I mean, regardless of any system they use or don't, they are definitely going to lose a chunk of listeners who just CANNOT HANDLE losing these three characters and moving on to new ones when the campaign is over. When whatever the new campaign is starts, and the new characters are less fleshed-out (because of course they won't be, because that takes time), there are definitely going to be some people who are just like "this show is no longer TAZ" and jump ship.

(I mean not gonna lie I'll be pretty sad about it)

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
Realistically, can the brothers switch to new characters? Merle and Magnus are basically just Clint and Travis with abilities.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Improbable Lobster posted:

They should play FATAL

roll for more holes

poor life choice
Jul 21, 2006

showbiz_liz posted:

I mean, regardless of any system they use or don't, they are definitely going to lose a chunk of listeners who just CANNOT HANDLE losing these three characters and moving on to new ones when the campaign is over. When whatever the new campaign is starts, and the new characters are less fleshed-out (because of course they won't be, because that takes time), there are definitely going to be some people who are just like "this show is no longer TAZ" and jump ship.

(I mean not gonna lie I'll be pretty sad about it)

I feel you. Like maybe if they only gained a single level at the end of each arc or something they could stretch it longer or come back after a short palate cleanser campaign with a different system, but either way it's been a good run!

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

It would be fun if, at the end of this campaign, they do a mini-campaign (i.e. one arc) where they are all playing reasonably potent monster PCs.

Then in the next campaign, they are playing characters which, to their chagrin, have to undo/confront their monster characters and their actions.

Hey, it worked for Assassin's Creed III.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

Serf posted:

Sorry, I phrased my question poorly. Does a person who multiclasses into rogue get access to that archetype?

Yes, you pick your archetype at level 3 for Rogue, so if Magnus went up to level 3 in Rogue (I think he's sticking at 1?) he'd get access to some magic. It's just some basic cantrips and (I think?) a couple of level 1 spells which aren't terribly useful at their current level so it probably wouldn't make a difference in combat since Produce Flame isn't going to be nearly as effective as doing a billion damage each turn.

poor life choice posted:

I feel you. Like maybe if they only gained a single level at the end of each arc or something they could stretch it longer or come back after a short palate cleanser campaign with a different system, but either way it's been a good run!

The issue is that many classes are unequal on when their good levels are. Some levels don't really do a lot for you and some can completely change your entire playstyle. Doing these batch level ups usually means that you hit the important level for all the classes together. Since they only level up between arcs and not during arcs, it's good that they do a bunch at once.

Serf
May 5, 2011

I'm the opposite on this thing. I'm excited to see what kind of characters they come up with next. If Griffin becomes a PC then that'll be even cooler.

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:
:stroop: :gaysper: :stroop:
:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:

Serf posted:

I'm the opposite on this thing. I'm excited to see what kind of characters they come up with next. If Griffin becomes a PC then that'll be even cooler.
Same. Their TAZ Nights characters were pretty loving great, I hope they continue that (and that Travis gets a little more GMing experience under his belt, since that was rough--but understandably so). I loved that Griffin and Clint's PCs have a history of animosity in their backstories already, and Troth is pretty much the polar opposite of Taako.

e: I'll be sad when this iteration of TAZ ends, but I'd much rather it wrap up in a satisfying way than die an agonizingly slow, boring-rear end death. I've seen too many games drag on far after they should have ended, and that sucks.

Stroop There It Is fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Feb 9, 2017

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
As sad as it will be to say goodbye to THB, my desire to know the conclusion to this metastory is intense! I'm so invested in what's going on, I have to know how it ends.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Stroop There It Is posted:

Same. Their TAZ Nights characters were pretty loving great, I hope they continue that (and that Travis gets a little more GMing experience under his belt, since that was rough--but understandably so). I loved that Griffin and Clint's PCs have a history of animosity in their backstories already, and Troth is pretty much the polar opposite of Taako.

e: I'll be sad when this iteration of TAZ ends, but I'd much rather it wrap up in a satisfying way than die an agonizingly slow, boring-rear end death. I've seen too many games drag on far after they should have ended, and that sucks.

I'm getting to this point with the Campaign podcast. They can do some amazing improv comedy, but they've spent like 20 episodes on one arc and things are getting long in the tooth. Griffin keeps things moving at a good pace and I appreciate that a lot.

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

Stroop There It Is posted:

Mannnn I started donating at the $5 level a couple years ago and when I realized I'd have to increase my donation to access the donor content for another year I seriously thought about just cancelling my donation so I can re-donate during the NEXT fundraising drive and unlock it again :(

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Wait, what? I just started donating this month, am I going to have to increase the donation amount to keep getting bonus episodes?

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
The Max Fun Donation Drive page still says you only need $5 to get the bonus episodes: http://www.maximumfun.org/donate

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008
I thought it was "new or upgrading donors" only, as in, old donors don't get it unless they upgrade - I thought I had tried to log in again and it hadn't worked, but maybe I just did something wrong?

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

ALFbrot posted:

I loving love in-depth discussions of different RPG rulesets every three pages in reference to a podcast where they straight-up admit they didn't take time to learn the rules of the system they're currently playing.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

X-Ray Pecs posted:

I loving love in-depth discussions of different RPG rulesets every three pages in reference to a podcast where they straight-up admit they didn't take time to learn the rules of the system they're currently playing.

if only you had actually bothered to read before threadshitting you would've learned the conversation was about rules-light systems that might fight the show better when they move to the next version of TAZ

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

showbiz_liz posted:

I thought it was "new or upgrading donors" only, as in, old donors don't get it unless they upgrade - I thought I had tried to log in again and it hadn't worked, but maybe I just did something wrong?

I WAS WRONG YAY! I think I might have been trying to use an old password for a new donor page or something. Well poo poo time to binge-listen to about 30 hours of various bonus shows I kept wishing I could listen to. (Sorry YggiDee!)

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
New TAZ episode is out!

I'm so hyped.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poor life choice
Jul 21, 2006

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Roll initiative.