Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
I'm obviously biased but I'd say my active duty OCS classmates are some of the best LTs I know. But I also went through when it was difficult to get an active duty OCS contract, not during the surge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot
I went through in 2007, and there were a couple of my classmates who weren't terribly literate when it came to the written assignments. The college kids had a higher floor on their dumbness, but were worse at everything else at the start.

Same guy that had me proofread his awful essay wasn't smart enough not to rip all the skin off his hands coming down the rope climb, now that I think about it.

Do they still do that vocabulary test with something like 80-100 words on it? I think the average wrong was 30+. I missed 2 and got called up to the front, and every chump who got my missed words right came up to tell me how they couldn't believe I missed those.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

Nope, but there was a history exam that was essay only. It was one of the major causes of people recycling. Like 2 weeks of history classes lead up to the history exam. I think it has been changed to multiple choice now though.

Only about 30 of the 66 I commissioned with were active duty. We had a total of 106 candidates that had been in our company at any given time, counting people that recycled and recycled into our company and then back out again.

The recycles were almost exclusively NG. Only 2 active duty candidates recycled and it was from the history test in week 9 or so and they graduated with the next class.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Christ, there were only 66 in your class? We had 160 to start with and ~145 finished. I commissioned 9 Jan 09, it's just jarring to hear OCS has downsized that far. How many companies are there now?

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

We usually had 80 at any given time but people were getting recycled all the way up to the end.

There were 4 companies. I was in Delta which was down with the airborne barracks so it had its own weird culture being so far away from the rest of OCS. About halfway through we moved the whole company up the hill to the "new" barracks with the rest of OCS.

3rdEyeDeuteranopia
Sep 12, 2007

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
:eyepop:

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
White dress my rear end. Everyone knows the first marriage is for BAH.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013
Well goddamn TRICare bravo.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Please new OP picture

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
There are a few seriously butt hurt spouses on tricares Facebook page. But mostly people laughing.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Mustang posted:

Throughout OCS and ABOLC the NG guys all wished they could be active duty. Honestly wasn't all that impressed with NG OCS candidates. Some states send anyone with a degree and a pulse to OCS and they only manage to commission by the skin of their teeth.

Most of my NG OCS classmates went home to either no job or something less than what they would make as an active duty officer.

I definitely don't regret being active duty, I'm in a good unit and legit enjoying being a PL. The pay is pretty good too.

I know a few NG and reserve officers who commissioned without a degree. The policy may have changed, but for a while you only had to have something like 90 credits.

Officer pay starts out good, gets really around O3, and then basically sucks in comparison to comparable private sector positions from then on out.

psydude fucked around with this message at 13:16 on Feb 7, 2017

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

Got texted an old fake good news storyboard a buddy made in Mosul to publicize the great gains being made in Iraqi public health. I'd pay about $200 to get full powerpoint copies of the whole series of storyboards he made up. One featured a new model of VBIED with an ejector seat so that they guy could shoot his AK at survivors on the way down, complete with a bad MS Paint of it in operation. Some private in the BN S2 shop took his OIC's joke literally and sent it up as part of the daily report to MND-North. From there it escaped into the wild and spread all over various parts of DOD. He got congratulatory emails from as far afield as the Pentagon and Korea for the next year.

Edit: What's great about this storyboard is that the kid is wearing two different outfits. He actually does this regularly.

FIDEL CASHFLOW
Oct 13, 2009

Then this

no fun allowed

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

This owns

Soxorz
Aug 15, 2002
I sleep with the fishes
Vahakyla, you should try and get a flight medic slot before you leave AIT. You get Paramedic/Flight paramedic certs and get to live the good life in aviation. We had one dude fresh out of AIT in our class and he did fine.

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer

FIDEL CASHFLOW posted:

Then this

no fun allowed

THAT'S NOT FUNNY I'M BIG BONED AND MY HUBBY IS OVERSEAS DEFENDINR ARE FREEDUM

TAKE THIS DOWN FACEBOOOK REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

FIDEL CASHFLOW
Oct 13, 2009

Mike-o posted:

my girlfriend keeps telling me that when she commissions and takes over a unit (idk what the af calls their units) i'll have to lead the wives' club

guess i'll have to get a HER BOOTS MY SANDALS decal for my car soon

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Mike-o posted:

At least Tricare gave a very non-apology apology. Good.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
Aww, the weenie request thread got gassed. Preserving the weenie here for the time being:

Welcome home, weenie.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
Trigger warning :siren:

apropos of nothing

LACKING IN INTESTINAL FORTITUDE

SwampDonkey
Oct 13, 2006

by Smythe

(and can't post for 4 years!)

Naked Bear posted:

Aww, the weenie request thread got gassed. Preserving the weenie here for the time being:

Welcome home, weenie.

:discourse:

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

Trigger warning :siren:

apropos of nothing

LACKING IN INTESTINAL FORTITUDE

Literally no heart

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
Got my tonsils out today. Excruciating pain whenever I swallow and two weeks of convalescent leave is still better than going to work.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

A Bad Poster posted:

Got my tonsils out today. Excruciating pain whenever I swallow and two weeks of convalescent leave is still better than going to work.

Get ready for a lifetime of poo poo constantly getting into your nose and frequent sinus infections.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Mr. Nice! posted:

Get ready for a lifetime of poo poo constantly getting into your nose and frequent sinus infections.

i uh had my tonsils removed as a child and never had problems with either of those things.

Is the current thread title a reference to Arrested Development? Please tell me it is a reference to Arrested Development.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

i uh had my tonsils removed as a child and never had problems with either of those things.

Is the current thread title a reference to Arrested Development? Please tell me it is a reference to Arrested Development.

Yeah, and both he and I had them out as adults. There's a difference. Children recover faster first off, and second you grew up missing them where he and I now just have giant holes in the back of our throats that won't be mitigated as we grow.

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Now I'm terrified of ever needing mine out because my sinuses are already the bane of my existence. :ohdear:

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

redneck nazgul posted:

Now I'm terrified of ever needing mine out because my sinuses are already the bane of my existence. :ohdear:

I wouldn't worry about it. Odds are if having your tonsils out would help you, you would already know.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Mr. Nice! posted:

Yeah, and both he and I had them out as adults. There's a difference. Children recover faster first off, and second you grew up missing them where he and I now just have giant holes in the back of our throats that won't be mitigated as we grow.

Well I guess I've been told :kiddo:

Stanley Goodspeed
Dec 26, 2005
What, the feet thing?

:ohdear:

Lugnut Seatcushion
May 4, 2013
Lipstick Apathy

Look for those PCS orders to Irwin

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

cravius posted:

Look for those PCS orders to Irwin

Oh, dear, if that's the worst that joke brings to mind...

Lugnut Seatcushion
May 4, 2013
Lipstick Apathy

mlmp08 posted:

Oh, dear, if that's the worst that joke brings to mind...

I'd rather spend a year in Syria than go to Barstow for three.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
It's the making it the whole year part that you're assuming

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
whats the deal with your av man did you guys shoot someone down

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

whats the deal with your av man did you guys shoot someone down

Someone bought me a Trump avatar after I posted the president's early morning John McCain tweets in TFR's politics thread.

So someone else decided to replace it with this smashed up F-16 with the namesake of a battery that had a HARM missile shot into the rear end end of its radar by an Air Force pilot who thought he was in enemy territory (he wasn't), thought he got spiked by an SA-2 (he didn't) and so he shot off his HARM, knocking the radar out of commission.

So whoops, radar inoperable, better replace it with one of the ones way in the back. Sure it's an older model, but it'll be fine. Older model radar classifies a Naval F-18 as a ballistic missile, resulting in a different unit entirely shooting down said F-18 and killing a Naval Aviator. You know, who was flying not in his assigned corridor, but who was squawking IFF and flying straight and level at speeds that make him clearly not a ballistic missile.

edit to add: So no poo poo in like 12 days IIRC, the Marines were controlling airspace and SAMs, the Army shot down a British RAF Tornado who dove at the Patriot site after separating from his wingman with no IFF on, the USAF then shot a HARM into the rear end end of the Army Patriot site, then the Navy flew outside of their corridor, then the Army shot down the Navy plane for terrible reasons. And the whole time the Army was shooting down TBMs.

Then the entire joint force went hmmmmm, maybe we should change some things.

Before anyone gets antsy, this is all very unclassified, investigated and published incident from over a decade ago kind of stuff.

mlmp08 fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Feb 10, 2017

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
real talk, when was the last time Army ADA (publicly I guess) shot down an enemy aircraft? Desert Fox or whatever the no fly zone era in iraq was in the 90s?

Edit: yeah I remember all that happening vaguely, the Brit one mainly. That poo poo was like during the invasion or very shortly thereafter, right?

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
Do mortars or missiles count?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
Not for the sake of my question but thats cool stuff and I dont want to take away from that :)