Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
I have no idea how to deal with a remotely competent Conqueror. They'll block everything and then unblockable shield bash you into a wall and get free hits for days. :shrug:

What, if anything, can I do to negate that shield bash?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

panda clue
May 23, 2014

Kawabata posted:

Game is still amazing, but I predict it has no more than 4 months to live unless they switch to dedicated servers and really support it with new content/ideas.

You can quote my post in 4 months, tia!

2 free new maps and characters every 3 months, ranked mode, and other new content guaranteed for at least a year. Dunno about anyone else but thatll probably hold my interest for at least a year on and off.

Feindfeuer
Jun 20, 2013

shoot men, receive credits

Captain Oblivious posted:

I have no idea how to deal with a remotely competent Conqueror. They'll block everything and then unblockable shield bash you into a wall and get free hits for days. :shrug:

What, if anything, can I do to negate that shield bash?

You can't block guard-breaks like the shield bash, that would make them pretty useless. Dodge the shield bash, or any other guard break, and than hit them in their stupid face... or the side/back of their head.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

MikeC posted:

quick question, is there a place to practice combos on dummies? Also when do you click the next button in the combo sequence, I figure its like other fighting games where its as your hit lands? Can you continue the combo off a blocked attack?

I think in the how to play or custom game menu there is a place where you can duel a bot. Set it to ai level 0 and it will just not fight back.

As for hits yes after you connect hit the button again and next one will continue. As for continuing off blocked attacks when your light attack is blocked your chain ends then and there, however you can keep using your heavies to attack(although certain classes like the conqueror end heavy attack chains after 1 block like a light).

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

Also seeing people still hangup on the p2p poo poo is weird and dumb. As it stands whatever they are using for netcode is basically magic and there everything is WYSIWYG, no input delay, no rollbacks. I have never once had my combat effected by the game being p2p and that's the only thing that matters.

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.

panda clue posted:

2 free new maps and characters every 3 months, ranked mode, and other new content guaranteed for at least a year. Dunno about anyone else but thatll probably hold my interest for at least a year on and off.

Agreed! But you absolutely need the dedicated servers to make the competitive side grow (it's more crucial than many people think imo).

Have they commented on the stuff you're posting about? Because they should. This kind of game can absolutely make them loads of money if they adequately support it

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Evil Canadian posted:

Also seeing people still hangup on the p2p poo poo is weird and dumb. As it stands whatever they are using for netcode is basically magic and there everything is WYSIWYG, no input delay, no rollbacks. I have never once had my combat effected by the game being p2p and that's the only thing that matters.

This is an important post.

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.

Evil Canadian posted:

If you've watched Lassiz or Oroboro (among others) playing the game you will see them complain about ignored inputs from time to time. I mean it's pretty good right now but if they adjust the peer to peer netcode to the point where it's as good as having dedicated servers they're loving wizards.

Oh and maybe don't give 4 different scammy-looking purchase options so that the game doesn't die faster than Evolve? Thanks in advance Ubi, loving your game so far.

Kawabata fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Feb 10, 2017

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC
Sorry I need some clarification on this move list thing. Are these move lists combos unblockable if you execute it correctly after the first one hits like other fighting games? I am confused for example since the Warden has a hero specific entry saying that "Second side Light attack is guaranteed if the first one hits" So move chains are not actually combos?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I wonder how many people are gonna avoid this game because of how bad the servers are right now. I cannot get into a 1v1 match. Tried restarting the game and it did nothing. If this was on launch I'd be incredibly pissed, but I suppose this could be a stress test. But how many people are gonna look at this and think things will stay this bad?

Obstacle2
Dec 21, 2004
feels good man

Internet Kraken posted:

I wonder how many people are gonna avoid this game because of how bad the servers are right now. I cannot get into a 1v1 match. Tried restarting the game and it did nothing. If this was on launch I'd be incredibly pissed, but I suppose this could be a stress test. But how many people are gonna look at this and think things will stay this bad?

They were worse in the closed beta, seems like things are actually a bit better this time around.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

Kawabata posted:

If you've watched Lassix or Oroboro (among others) playing the game you will see them complain about ignored inputs from time to time.

I BLOCKED THAT
IM HITTING BUTTONS
I TECHED THAT

is a common thing in a competitive game when you actually just hosed up, and only your brain thinks you did it right when in reality your hands did it wrong. After well over 100 duels and absolutely no issues, its fine.

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider

Kawabata posted:

If you've watched Lassix or Oroboro (among others) playing the game you will see them complain about ignored inputs from time to time. I mean it's pretty good right now but if they adjust the peer to peer netcode to the point where it's as good as having dedicated servers they're loving wizards.

Oh and maybe don't give 4 different scammy-looking purchase options so that the game doesn't die faster than Evolve? Thanks in advance Ubi, loving your game so far.

If there's ignored inputs, that's more likely a fuckup and not a netcode problem. If the game decides that it needs to rollback because the simulations aren't synced anymore, it's way more obvious than an input not registering.

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Biscuit Hider

MikeC posted:

Sorry I need some clarification on this move list thing. Are these move lists combos unblockable if you execute it correctly after the first one hits like other fighting games? I am confused for example since the Warden has a hero specific entry saying that "Second side Light attack is guaranteed if the first one hits" So move chains are not actually combos?

Like it says, it only combos if the first attack hits. The rule of thumb is, if your target blocks a light attack, your combo gets broken. If your target blocks a strong attack, you can keep your combo going. You'll find out that there are exceptions to these, such as shields breaking a strong attack combo as well.

panda clue
May 23, 2014

Kawabata posted:

Agreed! But you absolutely need the dedicated servers to make the competitive side grow (it's more crucial than many people think imo).

Is this some sort of troll at this point? Why are you guys literally ignoring the fact that almost every single fighting game is p2p. Do people actually expect 4v4 to become some 'competitive' scene? What? Not every game needs to become an esport, and if anything about this game becomes 'competitive' it certainly won't be the 4v4 shitmash mode.

This is a fighting game, like any other 1v1 figting game, with a 2v2 and 4v4 mode tagged on because they could do it so why not. However, most of the depth in the combat goes out the window when you get thrown into a 1v2+ situation.

Evil Canadian posted:

quote this times a billion forever.

panda clue fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Feb 10, 2017

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
P2P: Phenomenal to Post (about)

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

Evil Canadian posted:

I BLOCKED THAT
IM HITTING BUTTONS
I TECHED THAT

is a common thing in a competitive game when you actually just hosed up, and only your brain thinks you did it right when in reality your hands did it wrong. After well over 100 duels and absolutely no issues, its fine.

Huh, Oroboro is among the players that literally make metas in Souls so I'm pretty confident he's not as salty as your average pub and knows what he pressed and what he didn't but still, I agree that the netcode has been almost impeccable so far. It's possible that if it stays like this it's enough for any level of play.

panda clue posted:

Is this some sort of troll at this point? Why are you guys literally ignoring the fact that almost every single fighting game is p2p. Do people actually expect 4v4 to become some 'competitive' scene? What? Not every game needs to become an esport

It doesn't need to but For Honor is exactly the kind of game that just fades away in a few months unless some kind of competitive is attached to it.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

Kawabata posted:

Huh, Oroboro is among the players that literally make metas in Souls

Souls pvp is a joke compared to real fighting games so I am not too concerned about that. Ill take what I know over some random guy I have never heard of who plays dark souls.

panda clue
May 23, 2014

Kawabata posted:

It doesn't need to but For Honor is exactly the kind of game that just fades away in a few months unless some kind of competitive is attached to it.

I agree, but I think the game will maintain a strong core fanbase given the combat is truly well refined and unique. A competative scene may form around the game, but I would wager almost anything that it would be 1v1 first and foremost, MAYBE 2v2.

4v4 removes a lot of the depth from the combat, involves farming creeps/trash, and has a gearing requirement. A fun side distraction, and maybe will end up being a the mode a lot of people like the most, which is fine. However, I absolutely cannot fathom them making that their core mode to focus the design of the game around. If they do intend to do that.. then well, yea, they probably need dedicated servers.

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

panda clue posted:

I agree, but I think the game will maintain a strong core fanbase given the combat is truly well refined and unique. A competative scene may form around the game, but I would wager almost anything that it would be 1v1 first and foremost, MAYBE 2v2.

4v4 removes a lot of the depth from the combat, involves farming creeps/trash, and has a gearing requirement. A fun side distraction, and maybe will end up being a the mode a lot of people like the most, which is fine. However, I absolutely cannot fathom them making that their core mode to focus the design of the game around. If they do intend to do that.. then well, yea, they probably need dedicated servers.

If 1v1 became the mode of choice for high skill players they wouldn't need dedicated servers at all, but I wonder if the mechanics are deep enough to make 1v1 work in the long-ish term. Maybe they are. 4v4 is a bit of a clusterfuck right now with silly stuff like the ladder cheese but it might become more interesting in the future.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

Kawabata posted:

Have they commented on the stuff you're posting about? Because they should. This kind of game can absolutely make them loads of money if they adequately support it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_Bg8TXtm6Q

A whole bunch of free content (maps, characters, tournaments, weapons, armor, etc) coming with the Season Pass being a wholly optional purchase to get new characters a week early, a few boosters, and a couple small cosmetic things. This combined with the fact that they're paying attention to the balancing right out of the gate makes post-launch promising.

As far as P2P chat goes: No disconnections at all so far for me, but I'm on Xbox One FWIW.

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

Finally got home and got some Warden 1v1 in before matchmaking started stalling out.

1st guy: His whole strategy was using the Raider charge to knock you off ledges. He takes the first match 2-3 because I'm rusty and forgot what happens when two people charge into eachother. I play another set of games and 3-0 him. He quits.

2nd guy: First match he plays Warden too. It's pretty even and he lands some nice parries but I edge him out 3-2. Next match he switches to Raider and goes into beast mode, parrying seemingly at will, landing counter guard breaks, feinting, etc I take a single win when i spawn with my back to the ledge and wait for him to charge. He does and I dodge and toss him over. He's a good sport about it. Next match he plays Raider again and I lose again, 2-3.

3rd guy: He plays Warlord and has a bunch of great parries and stuns. We go 3-2 and 2-3.

4th guy: Another good Warden. I forget who won

Wtf? I didn't expect people to know what they're doing, let alone execute feints and poo poo. Are all the new bad players doing dominion or something?

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

Charles Martel posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_Bg8TXtm6Q

A whole bunch of free content (maps, characters, tournaments, weapons, armor, etc) coming with the Season Pass being a wholly optional purchase to get new characters a week early, a few boosters, and a couple small cosmetic things. This combined with the fact that they're paying attention to the balancing right out of the gate makes post-launch promising.

As far as P2P chat goes: No disconnections at all so far for me, but I'm on Xbox One FWIW.

It is pretty promising. Thanks for the link!

panda clue
May 23, 2014
That was the trailer that convinced me to buy the game, fwiw. The meta-map thing is dumb as hell and idk why they think anyone cares about that at all, but as long as they keep adding new dudes and new maps, I'm down.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
P2P is awful. It is the worst. Companies use P2P because they are very cheap and won't pay for servers. According to google you can get a high quality server for around $3,000. That is surely a very small portion of their sales, so it's astonishingly greedy of them not to pay for one. All of my favorite games (basically the DICE catalogue) use servers and they are technical masterpieces. The only thing better than servers is a server browser, because that involves multiple servers. FACT: No game that has used P2P has sold more than 100,000 copies. Nobody will buy this game, especially me. I'm joining a Steam group called "Boycott For Honor" right now to prove it. Ubsioft will probably file for bankruptcy this year. In three months you can ask any gamer "hey man, do you play For Honor?" and they will say "nah, I never even got Honor 1-3!" That is how poorly this game will sell and how dead it will be.

On the other hand...

P2P is fine. I've played lots of P2P and it always worked great. I played about 20 minutes of 1v1 the other day and my ping was 0, so I can tell you with authority that every conceivable mode and player count must also work great because P2P is so adaptable. No I've never heard of Halo. FACT: every fighting game (the singular genre to which this game identifies) has used P2P and nobody has ever complained about it before, have they?. Ask any fighting game player out there about P2P in Street Fighter, they will say "wonderful, no problems. I can always react in eight frames or less, it's delightful". That is how good P2P is. Anyway this game does have a server. It handles ALL matchmaking and ALL character and gear progression, didn't you know that? Please do your research next time before you criticize. I will play this game for years, as will hundreds of thousands of other gamers who recognize how satisfactory the P2P system is. Just look at other fighting games that maintain large, active player bases well after release such as

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

Yer pretty dumb.

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

Chomp8645 posted:

P2P is awful. It is the worst. Companies use P2P because they are very cheap and won't pay for servers. According to google you can get a high quality server for around $3,000. That is surely a very small portion of their sales, so it's astonishingly greedy of them not to pay for one. All of my favorite games (basically the DICE catalogue) use servers and they are technical masterpieces. The only thing better than servers is a server browser, because that involves multiple servers. FACT: No game that has used P2P has sold more than 100,000 copies. Nobody will buy this game, especially me. I'm joining a Steam group called "Boycott For Honor" right now to prove it. Ubsioft will probably file for bankruptcy this year. In three months you can ask any gamer "hey man, do you play For Honor?" and they will say "nah, I never even got Honor 1-3!" That is how poorly this game will sell and how dead it will be.

On the other hand...

P2P is fine. I've played lots of P2P and it always worked great. I played about 20 minutes of 1v1 the other day and my ping was 0, so I can tell you with authority that every conceivable mode and player count must also work great because P2P is so adaptable. No I've never heard of Halo. FACT: every fighting game (the singular genre to which this game identifies) has used P2P and nobody has ever complained about it before, have they?. Ask any fighting game player out there about P2P in Street Fighter, they will say "wonderful, no problems. I can always react in eight frames or less, it's delightful". That is how good P2P is. Anyway this game does have a server. It handles ALL matchmaking and ALL character and gear progression, didn't you know that? Please do your research next time before you criticize. I will play this game for years, as will hundreds of thousands of other gamers who recognize how satisfactory the P2P system is. Just look at other fighting games that maintain large, active player bases well after release such as

what

panda clue
May 23, 2014

Chomp8645 posted:

On the other hand...

youre trying way too hard

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods

panda clue posted:

The meta-map thing is dumb as hell and idk why they think anyone cares about that at all, but as long as they keep adding new dudes and new maps, I'm down.

The thing with this kind of faction based meta game is that whoever wins the first month/season/whatever is going to win every one thereafter. As soon as people see who won they're gonna flood to that faction so they can get the rewards in future seasons. The same thing happened in mortal kombat x, the Lin Kuei won like every time for ages, until the devs just started randomly picking a winner each time so that the other factions weren't left out.

Haroshia
Feb 27, 2011

You think this is a game?
There is something incredibly satisfying about conqueror charging people off ledges. I think it's because of the salt. People call it cheesy when the entire class is built around shoving people around.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
What exactly is reputation and how do you gain it?

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC
Are there attacks that cannot be parried? Some guy armed with a spear kept doing a super quick attack on me that made him roll in behind me after a strike. and spammed that attack. I tried parrying it but failed everytime.

2 SPOOKY
Sep 9, 2010

Always Be Alert!
I read that the Nobushi's Hidden Stance has i-frames, but do basic dodges have them as well for everyone?

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

Internet Kraken posted:

What exactly is reputation and how do you gain it?

Basically prestige. You can start leveling another character again after you finish level 20.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

2 SPOOKY posted:

I read that the Nobushi's Hidden Stance has i-frames, but do basic dodges have them as well for everyone?

I have found that I can dodge into the direction of attacks if I hit the dodge button right as the attack indicator flashes red (tested in a Raider vs Raider bot duel with me dodging into a horizontal attack with the same timing that you would use for deflects.) It certainly looked like there were i-frames.

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

Welp after a few matches I can safely say move over Warden because I'm a Warlord main now. Something about that class just clicks. It's supposed to be a defensive counter hitter but I've been having a lot of success with sheer aggression. The uninterruptible heavy attacks are great against assassin characters. I just get a few hits in and trade shot for shot until they're dead.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

I had enough fun with the beta tonight to give the full game a shot. It's almost too button mashy for me (hurts my arthritic hands) but was having some really good fights and the game is getting better as people figure it out. Way fewer connection issues too (ps4).

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Despite having installed this to a platter drive, it sure got my SSD warmed up. Wonder if there's some weird caching business going on.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.

Chomp8645 posted:

On the other hand...

If only this effort went into something other than making an awful post.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Biscuit Hider

Chomp8645 posted:

On the other hand...

nice meltdown