Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

Foppish Yet Dashing posted:

Ok what the gently caress do I do get out of stun in the second boss fight bat lady? That poo poo lasts for eternity.

Fight isn't as bad as people say until that poo poo happens. Got her down to about 50% on my first three tries. Only reason I'm dying is because I get stunned and then murdered.

Archer armor has innate paralysis resistance, and the Ninjitsu path has a low-cost paralysis medicine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Ok what the gently caress do I do get out of stun in the second boss fight bat lady? That poo poo lasts for eternity.

Fight isn't as bad as people say until that poo poo happens. Got her down to about 50% on my first three tries. Only reason I'm dying is because I get stunned and then murdered.

Use Antiparalytic Needles. You've picked up a few in the cave, probably. You can use them while you're paralyzed to cure it.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E

Emalde posted:

Yo does anybody know what determines if an armor set gets added to the forge list at the blacksmith? It seems 100% arbitrary.

I farmed Nagamasa for a bit and he eventually gave me his smithing text. I farmed him in NG+ though.

InfinityComplex
Feb 5, 2011

Nothing better than swinging around a little girl like a flail.

You're being hit with the paralysis status effect and that's her greatest threat to you. Either avoid the projectiles she throws out or use the anti paralytic needles to recover from it.

I don't know of there is a set that reduces the paralysis buildup in the mission but you should avoid the paralysis at all costs.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

I laughed when I accidentally managed to push off the axe wielding oni off the bridge and into the water for one of the side missions. Didn't think I could do that as the whole mission was just a duel with him.

veni veni veni posted:

What stance do you guys default to? I read low stance is the best for that but to me it feels the most useless. Which is weird because I much prefer fast attacks generally.

Low stance for dual swords. I love dodging and the fast attacks work great with dual swords that have elemental damage for proccing stuff and the spider guardian spirit for all the paralysis.

High stance for kusarigama domination.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

some combo of red revenants and drops in the caves are guaranteed to get you a full archer set with paralysis resistance

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

yep this bridge seems completely fine nothing going on here

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I'm gonna out myself as a scrub and say I can't beat the boat boss. I am at the point where it's so thoroughly unfun I am pretty much ready to shelf this game .

I absolutely hate the stagger. It's bearable until the boss but it just ruins the game for me. Not having fun at all anymore.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Thumbtacks posted:

yep this bridge seems completely fine nothing going on here

Yea that's the one I pushed into the water. I think you have to get his stamina lowish first.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Yea that's the one I pushed into the water. I think you have to get his stamina lowish first.

oh i didn't even think about that, although i still don't know how that stupid Tempest skill works. I just beat him normally.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Switch weapons and level up a bit. Something will click. Also if you're desperate and can't get a summon, fill up your living weapon gauge and put all of your soul crystals in a hotbar. Take a few shots at him and then activate it. Hit him, dodge as much as possible, and eat a crystal when you hit about 20% or so.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

veni veni veni posted:

I'm gonna out myself as a scrub and say I can't beat the boat boss. I am at the point where it's so thoroughly unfun I am pretty much ready to shelf this game .

I absolutely hate the stagger. It's bearable until the boss but it just ruins the game for me. Not having fun at all anymore.

What is staggering you? If you are blocking the balls, don't. Dodge them.

Gnumonic
Dec 11, 2005

Maybe you thought I was the Packard Goose?
I lucked out and got the "Close Combat Life Recovery" special effect, which recovers the number value of health whenever you kill something in melee, and man, this game went from "Oh my god this makes Dark Souls look like Animal Crossing" to "Hm this could be way harder." Highly recommend reforging for that perk if you're having trouble.

On a somewhat related note, I think that people who are complaining about the game being too easy must be getting a lot of use out of magic/ninjitsu/guardian spirits/items. After respecing a few times, it seems like if you try to play the game "honorably" the difficulty is fine, but you can reduce it in quite a few ways rather dramatically. I died 23 times to the bat boss and was ready to give up on the game, but after working on my build, I can kind of see why someone might complain about the difficulty.

boz
Oct 16, 2005

Deified Data posted:

They feel fine to me so long as I switch to low stance when they start scrabbling around. The only downside is there doesn't seem to be any defense against their grabs and I can't even see a tell that tips you off that they're about to do it.

When they are on all fours and their hands get that yokai glow they are about to grab.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
For the boat boss, you need to accept that you'll win through a thousand cuts, not any big juicy Dark Souls combo. Dodge in, burn a third of your ki with a combo, back out. Need to be extremely opportunistic.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

boz posted:

When they are on all fours and their hands get that yokai glow they are about to grab.

That's only one of the grabs, the other one is harder to see.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Bogart posted:

For the boat boss, you need to accept that you'll win through a thousand cuts, not any big juicy Dark Souls combo. Dodge in, burn a third of your ki with a combo, back out. Need to be extremely opportunistic.

The first time I beat that fight I only attacked once in each opening, and only when it was completely safe timing and I knew I couldn't be hit by any of his possible moves. In the throw phase I was attacking like once every thirty seconds

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

I seriously cannot get enough of dressing my William up in the most stereotypical ninja cosplay outfits ever. The item refashioning system was a great idea.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Emalde posted:

Yo does anybody know what determines if an armor set gets added to the forge list at the blacksmith? It seems 100% arbitrary.

Smithing texts, don't know what causes them to drop exactly.

knobgobblin
Oct 28, 2010

got a bone to pick
With the appropriate skills stance dancing will give your attacks more damage and keep your ki topped up.

I definitely recommend trying out dodging only in low stance, switching to high during the dodge animation and doing your business, then pulse to low stance. Switching to low stance seems to automatically dodge if you time it right so you can just keep switching back to low to dodge then get back to other stances for your main damage.

I love switching to mid stance mid combo to parry someone, it feels so good.

Also the ki bonus for switching to two stances during a pulse is great if your bar is getting low.

knobgobblin fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Feb 10, 2017

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

What is staggering you? If you are blocking the balls, don't. Dodge them.

Just the balls yeah. TBH I suck at this game apparently. I just summoned some goon help cause he was driving me nuts.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

If you can't get the dodge timing, as long as you're running laterally while he's preparing to throw, he won't be able to connect

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

CJacobs posted:

I seriously cannot get enough of dressing my William up in the most stereotypical ninja cosplay outfits ever. The item refashioning system was a great idea.

What set is that/where did you get it? I'm thinking of switching to light armor and that looks pretty sweet.

veni veni veni posted:

Just the balls yeah. TBH I suck at this game apparently. I just summoned some goon help cause he was driving me nuts.

I think I died to that guy like 15 times in the first demo. He's tough because of the really narrow area you fight him in with the wide swings of his attacks. It helps to stay really close to him and in front of him, but ready to dodge to the side when he does that fall-forward attack. Nioh rewards aggression--a lot of bosses punish the hell out of you for trying to play keep-away.

Try to learn how to Ki pulse, too, and don't let yourself run out of Ki if you can help it. Even if it means only attacking once per opening, try to reserve Ki for dodging if you need to.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I was being aggressive. It was mostly when he'd slowly drag a ball and I'd make contact with the chain. I'd either get him down to like 10% health and run or if healing, or he'd just waste me in the first phase

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Harrow posted:

What set is that/where did you get it? I'm thinking of switching to light armor and that looks pretty sweet.

The body & legs are the Iga set, gotten by the Adept Ninjitsu dojo challenge. The arms and feet are the Shinobi set, which I just found out in the wild by beatin' up ninjas.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

CJacobs posted:

The body & legs are the Iga set, gotten by the Adept Ninjitsu dojo challenge. The arms and feet are the Shinobi set, which I just found out in the wild by beatin' up ninjas.

Is the Iga set sort of a late-game thing or can you get it earlier?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Harrow posted:

Is the Iga set sort of a late-game thing or can you get it earlier?

I'm still pretty early on, the Adept Ninjitsu challenge shows up if you've got 10 dex and have reached the third map area.

edit: It showed up after spider fuckville for me, specifically.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

CJacobs posted:

I'm still pretty early on, the Adept Ninjitsu challenge shows up if you've got 10 dex and have reached the third map area.

edit: It showed up after spider fuckville for me, specifically.

Cool, thanks. I might have to respec into Dex just to unlock that because that set looks rad.

Do you feel especially vulnerable in light armor, out of curiosity? I've been rolling with medium but I'm not convinced I'm playing in a way that makes it worth it, as in it's not like I ever try to block heavy attacks anyway so the Toughness I have isn't the most useful.

Atomic Robo-Kid
Aug 18, 2008

.Blast.Processing.

:ninja: Begin!

:black101: (Rips Hanzo to shreds with wooden toys)

:ninja: "GASP!" ... "Come on! No time for woolgathering!"

I managed to get the entire Iga set. With 6 pieces it gives a A bonus to damage scaled from Ninjutsu. Sounds crazy good to me, haven't tested it yet though.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Not really, from what I've used the difference between L and M equipment is pretty negligible. You really have to go hard into H equipment before the extra defense has a noticeable effect. Like someone else said further up, if you're gonna go light armor you may as well go as light as possible for the better dodge distance/ki recovery.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

toughness is poise, parry is stability

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

lets hang out posted:

toughness is poise, parry is stability

That's not what the help text indicates. Toughness says: "Resistance to guard breaks and Ki damage." So unless that's 100% wrong, that means the higher your Toughness, the more attacks you can block and the less Ki you lose when you get hit.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
I still don't know how to parry with my Dual Swords :saddowns:

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Annath posted:

I still don't know how to parry with my Dual Swords :saddowns:

Did you buy the parry? You want to be in the animation when the attack lands.

knobgobblin
Oct 28, 2010

got a bone to pick
I don't think you can parry with dual katanas, although I'm not familiar with the skill set.

Single katana has the most parry/counter options, followed by spear and kusarigama. Does axe have a parry?

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Its got a mid triangle parry. I find it harder to pull off then the kurisagama.

\/\/yeah. The kurisagama, you shake the chain and if the attack lands anywhere in there you parry. Not as devestating as dual katana. But I can actually do it when I remember it exists.

Bombadilillo fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Feb 10, 2017

knobgobblin
Oct 28, 2010

got a bone to pick
Oh, cool. I'm looking forward to some in depth parry guides being created, it seems to me that each skill/weapon has different parry timing and frames. I loathe the spear parry because it's sooo slow, its just better for me to switch to katana for that.

Katana square parry with the extra square attack is my favorite parry.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

What does an exclamation point by an area on the map mean? I'd assume new mission, but it's on ones I already finished.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

there's a new side mission there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E

veni veni veni posted:

What does an exclamation point by an area on the map mean? I'd assume new mission, but it's on ones I already finished.

Press R1 or L1 to cycle through missions at the location.