Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Official site is up

http://www.ford.com/suvs/expedition/2018/

Looks pretty good. Guess the base engine will be the 2.7l.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
http://www.reuters.com/article/autos-fordsuv-idUSL1N1FR19W

There's a Lincoln Aviator in the works, that may share a RWD underpinning with the next gen Explorer.

Grater
Jul 11, 2001
Might seem like a nice guy, but cross me once...

Throatwarbler posted:

Sorry to interrupt yout 100hp diesel wagon chat but it's finally here guys

drat, should have waited another year. My Explorer Sport doesn't seem like hot poo poo anymore.

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan

Throatwarbler posted:

Sorry to interrupt yout 100hp diesel wagon chat but it's finally here guys

I thought FCA was going to kill off the Durango?

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
When the Grand Wagoneer was initially planned to take its place as a 3 row GC, that was probably the plan. Wagoneer ended up based on the 1/2 ton Ram truck, so no need to kill the Durango.

I guess...

Mr-Spain
Aug 27, 2003

Bullshit... you can be mine.

Q_res posted:

When the Grand Wagoneer was initially planned to take its place as a 3 row GC, that was probably the plan. Wagoneer ended up based on the 1/2 ton Ram truck, so no need to kill the Durango.

I guess...

They are not body on frame and drive very well. I drove one with the normal hemi and it had plenty of go, I bet that thing hauls butt.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Grater posted:

drat, should have waited another year. My Explorer Sport doesn't seem like hot poo poo anymore.

I showed my wife the burnout video, wonder if the Durango will still be around when her Explorer Sport lease is up. I wonder what pricing will be, it's going to have to be at least 60, probably 65K.

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

Q_res posted:

I guess...

I was really hoping they'd stick to this plan, because I like my 2015 GC, I just want more room, and I'd rather have a long Jeep than a Dodge.

Mr-Spain posted:

They are not body on frame and drive very well. I drove one with the normal hemi and it had plenty of go, I bet that thing hauls butt.

The Durango rides on a stretched version of the WK2 (current) Grand Cherokee unibody, which is a very good car (TOTALLY UNBIASED OPINION).

skipdogg posted:

I showed my wife the burnout video, wonder if the Durango will still be around when her Explorer Sport lease is up. I wonder what pricing will be, it's going to have to be at least 60, probably 65K.

Gotta be more than that. GC SRT is upwards of $70k.

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
Durango stance nation

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

DropShadow posted:

GC SRT starts at $67k

A base GC starts at $30.4k
A base Durango starts at $400 LESS than the GC. So $65-67k is a pretty reasonable ballpark.

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer

DropShadow posted:

I was really hoping they'd stick to this plan, because I like my 2015 GC, I just want more room, and I'd rather have a long Jeep than a Dodge.

The Durango rides on a stretched version of the WK2 (current) Grand Cherokee unibody, which is a very good car (TOTALLY UNBIASED OPINION).

It's an excellent platform and the drivetrain is world class. You'll have effortless power at any RPM and it's probably the most controllable 4.5 0-60 car ever since the weight and AWD make everything easy. I redline multiple times daily because it owns and you don't have to worry about breaking wheels loose which makes that burnout video pretty :laffo:

Best of all it'll be under 70k easily.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Jymmybob posted:

It's an excellent platform and the drivetrain is world class. You'll have effortless power at any RPM and it's probably the most controllable 4.5 0-60 car ever since the weight and AWD make everything easy. I redline multiple times daily because it owns and you don't have to worry about breaking wheels loose which makes that burnout video pretty :laffo:

Best of all it'll be under 70k easily.

Oh man, you have a GC SRT-8 don't you? So many questions. I have to know, how thirsty is it, and how fast does it eat a set of tires?

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer

skipdogg posted:

Oh man, you have a GC SRT-8 don't you? So many questions. I have to know, how thirsty is it, and how fast does it eat a set of tires?

My lifetime average is ~14mpg but that's really beating on it at all times. If I drove it normally then probably 16mpg and I've seen 18mpg on the freeway in eco mode (because I was on empty and had to do 40 miles to the nearest gas station). Tires are tricky because runflats come stock because the stiffer sidewall helps support throwing the massive weight around but they ride like poo poo and wear super fast. I drove straight from the dealership to a tire place to swap into winters then went to high performance allseasons for the rest of the year. I just replaced the first set of allseasons this fall at about 20,000 miles which is surprisingly good and the tires are astonishingly cheap for 295/45-20s at under 150 each for good Yokohama sport truck tires.

I've done all the oil changes myself and haven't been to the dealer since getting it 2 years ago but I'll go next time because I think 30k service involves the differentials. It's really a good car and I've done light offroading, spent lots of time bouncing down dirt roads at high speed, caught air off a railroad track a few times, and generally wring it out all the time once it warms up and haven't had a hiccup yet. All that and it's still incredibly practical since it fits my daughter's giant car seat easily, cargo room is generous, and towing is effortless since the oversized engine and brakes make anything under the max towing weight trivial. I put in a CAI which made a noticeable difference, lowered the rear by an inch so it's level, and put on the quietest exhaust available (Borla Type S) but it's still too loud. It sounds great but drones when the MDS kicks on and I can only imagine how bad the 12-13s are with the 5 speed auto and 3000+ rpm at highway speeds.

Grater
Jul 11, 2001

skipdogg posted:

I'm really just joking, I am very happy with my xploder. I knew the Durango SRT was coming, got the sport so I could start f'ing around with it once the warranty was up. I don't need SRT performance but I can probably get fairly close with a few bolt-ons someday.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

DropShadow posted:

What are you thoughts on the new Ford Expedition? It sounds like it might be up your alley. Comes in big and bigger sizes, still has an IRS, a nice interior, and you could always tune the Ecoboost north of 400hp easily.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Mental Hospitality posted:

What are you thoughts on the new Ford Expedition? It sounds like it might be up your alley. Comes in big and bigger sizes, still has an IRS, a nice interior, and you could always tune the Ecoboost north of 400hp easily.

The Expedition is *really* big though, historically they have been slightly larger than the Tahoe/Suburban and this new one is going to be no different.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ES4E9LO6Dn8

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

I love the fact that SUVs have come full circle and just look like minivans now.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

1500quidporsche posted:

I love the fact that SUVs have come full circle and just look like minivans now.

The people who swore they would never own a minivan kept insisting that their SUVs should be taller and wider, with easy access to a third row of seats for hauling kids to soccer games.

They'll still call them SUVs, though, so buyers can pretend they're young and rebellious and not at all like their parents.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

My parents were cool and briefly had a Previa that they ditched for a Taurus Wagon in the mid 90s. I could be so lucky to even still be able to buy a station wagon when I have kids.

I had such a strong love-hate relationship with that hand-me-down Taurus in high school, though. But for being a Ford rather than for being a station wagon.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Parents in the 60s drove station wagons.
Parents in the 80s didn't want to admit they were uncool like their station-wagon-driving moms, so instead of station wagons, they drove minivans.
Parents in the 2000s didn't want to admit they were uncool like their minivan-driving moms, so instead of minivans, they drove SUVs.

What will be next?

MarsellusWallace
Nov 9, 2010

Well he doesn't WANT
to look like a bitch!

Sagebrush posted:

Parents in the 80s didn't want to admit they were uncool like their station-wagon-driving moms, so instead of station wagons, they drove minivans.
Parents in the 2000s didn't want to admit they were uncool like their minivan-driving moms, so instead of minivans, they drove SUVs.

What will be next?

With any luck, we're back to station wagons again.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Sagebrush posted:

What will be next?

Someone with a minivan has an honesty about them where as someone with an SUV is making a compromise somewhere. I'd argue that a minivan is cooler than any SUV these days.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

An Outback is all the car almost anyone could need.

Grater
Jul 11, 2001

KakerMix posted:

Someone with a minivan has an honesty about them where as someone with an SUV is making a compromise somewhere. I'd argue that a minivan is cooler than any SUV these days.

We have a minivan and an SUV. The only reason we don't have two minivans is that no one offers a performance oriented version. The minivan is king poo poo though, it's really the best family vehicle and I have no shame driving it; quite the opposite actually. I definitely made a compromise with my explorer and I'll be the first to admit it.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
People moved to minivans from station wagons because minivans are better family vehicles. Three row SUVs are an abomination.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

devtesla posted:

People moved to minivans from station wagons because minivans are better family vehicles. Three row SUVs are an abomination.

Umm excuse me please explain how you and your sister can sit backwards facing traffic so you can prod truckers to toot their horns on family road trips in a minivan.

Edit: also from the Chicago car show, Hyundai is bringing its euro hatch over as the Elantra GT hatchback but with their turbo 4cyl with 201hp. Apparently manual is an option but also 7 speed dct? Nice hatchback but I still want that turbo Optima wagon dangit.

davebo fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Feb 10, 2017

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

I never had any opinion of the Expedition until I had one as a rental in Chicago a couple months back for hauling crew and gear to a shoot. It was an Ecoboost, and I was very surprised at how much power it had and how "quick" it felt for such a big vehicle. That said, its bigger than I need or want. The GC is juuuuust big enough for our needs right now (two young kids and all their associated stuff). I don't want to buy something huge for the one or two times a year that I may actually need that extra space, so the Durango seems like a happy medium. Not too much bigger than the GC but not huge. I just don't want a Dodge. I know that's silly.

And speaking of wagons vs. minivans vs. SUVs, I'm about to sell my allroad because it never gets driven anymore, and I'm getting old so I don't enjoy being bounced all over the place since it's so drat low. I've become the SUV driver I swore I wouldn't.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
Can't imagine the sidewall on your Allroad's tires helps your ride quality at all.
Besides this just means you need a minivan, just give an Odyssey the same treatment you gave your Allroad.

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

KakerMix posted:

Can't imagine the sidewall on your Allroad's tires helps your ride quality at all.
Besides this just means you need a minivan, just give an Odyssey the same treatment you gave your Allroad.

The thought has crossed my mind.

Grater
Jul 11, 2001

devtesla posted:

The good news is that more and more of them are really just wagons with body kits. I mean my "SUV" is based on the same platform as a Taurus. I tell everyone that it's just a tall wagon.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Wheeee posted:

An Outback is all the car almost anyone could need.

except that it's a subaru so gently caress that

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
I'm a 30-something single guy with no kids and I've always secretly liked minivans. So much utility and space.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Deteriorata posted:

The people who swore they would never own a minivan kept insisting that their SUVs should be taller and wider, with easy access to a third row of seats for hauling kids to soccer games.

They'll still call them SUVs, though, so buyers can pretend they're young and rebellious and not at all like their parents.

3-row SUVs are great when you have 4 kids and a boat to haul. Minivans are pretty much superior for everything else.

I know I mention this every time minivans come up, but I live in Utah, and big families are very common. Every woman I know who has bought a minivan was initially in tears because they didn't want to be like their mother. And within 6 months, every last one of them loved their minivan and couldn't fathom driving anything else.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Hughmoris posted:

I'm a 30-something single guy with no kids and I've always secretly liked minivans. So much utility and space.

My brother-in-law is a now 40 year old driving his blacked out Chrysler Town & Country. He's married with no kids and loves it.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

DropShadow posted:

I'm about to sell my allroad because it never gets driven anymore, and I'm getting old so I don't enjoy being bounced all over the place since it's so drat low. I've become the SUV driver I swore I wouldn't.

Why would you buy an allroad just to defeat the entire purpose of it by lowering it and putting huge wheels on? Of course that thing is uncomfortable. Put it back to stock and you eliminate the problem...

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

Guinness posted:

Why would you buy an allroad just to defeat the entire purpose of it by lowering it and putting huge wheels on? Of course that thing is uncomfortable. Put it back to stock and you eliminate the problem...

Same question comes up every time I post it. Because I like it looking like that.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Hughmoris posted:

:hfive:

I secretly long for a vehicle I can load a bed into that isn't a full on van.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Guinness posted:

as if any of them get offroad ever anyway

Ireallylikeeggs
Jul 29, 2003

Drove a rented Expedition over the holidays. The steering on that thing was genuinely appalling. It makes my friend's first gen Prius feel modern. Also it's loving huge. I did like the Ecoboost engine though. Maybe they could put it in something with steering that doesn't feel dangerous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

Well, the current one's chassis is over a decade old at this point. So, maybe the new one won't be quite so horrible?