Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
Poking around I found this https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/691342656/overview/

Anything about that listing look hosed up? The carfax is clean as a whistle, only like 14k miles on it, only 20k. It is very appealing to me, since what I wanted was a 86 but I can't afford the extra 6k. This was a lease.

Anything about that model I know should about in terms of it being hosed up maintenance or parts-wise?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

signalnoise posted:

Poking around I found this https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/691342656/overview/

Anything about that listing look hosed up? The carfax is clean as a whistle, only like 14k miles on it, only 20k. It is very appealing to me, since what I wanted was a 86 but I can't afford the extra 6k. This was a lease.

Anything about that model I know should about in terms of it being hosed up maintenance or parts-wise?

http://www.toyota.com/rental/86.html

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost
Maybe that car, being a smaller car with a smaller engine is not that unreliable. However, if expensive repair bills bother you and you worry a lot about reliability, you probably should only be buying economy cars.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

No I just want to know if there are any glaring flaws that I, as a car user but not yet a car GUY, should know about but don't see. If it looks fine that's cool too.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

skylined! posted:

The buyout is $12450 from Honda financial. 7% sales tax plus whatever fees assessed by the lender puts the finance amount between $13.3-$14k.

So my best financial choice is to seek the best finance rate and buy it. This is where I've been leaning but have over-complicated it, I think. Thanks.

Sounds great. Checkout the fee schedules here: https://www.edmunds.com/car-buying/what-fees-should-you-pay.html Now you can drive this car for another 100k miles for like $5-10k in maintenance.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

H110Hawk posted:

I'll call you dumb but not for posting here trying to get out of a hole.

Do not include your wife's Santa Fe in any deal. The tiny amount of money it maybe nets you will be eaten up trivially by the dealers margin.

They have you by the balls on that Civic. That car is basically worth the buy out price. Will they give you the car for $12,450? Or $15k? If so, do that. Finance the rest of it and own the car. Stop leasing cars. Ever. Especially not a Civic for what is nearly the payment on a Civic. Drive the civic for a total of 10 years before deciding to do anything else car related.

lol, you don't have to drive each car you buy for 10 years. There are reasons to lease, but I would struggle to find a good one for a Civic.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Michael Scott posted:

lol, you don't have to drive each car you buy for 10 years. There are reasons to lease, but I would struggle to find a good one for a Civic.

He should clearly stop leasing if he's going to drive 20k mi per year.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

nm posted:

He should clearly stop leasing if he's going to drive 20k mi per year.

I agree but I am no longer driving that much. Maybe half that.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

skylined! posted:

I agree but I am no longer driving that much. Maybe half that.

As long as you are taking good advice from me: Don't do anything Michael Scott suggests unless it's eat right, exercise, and don't lease cars.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
What is your over mileage anyhow?

That said, I think you should buy it, pay it off, and drive the wheels off. No having a car payment is the best thing ever and that civic will last forever.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

36k miles for lease, I am just at 59k, so the mileage payoff is something like $3600 if I just turn it in.

I leased it and immediately got into a new work situation having me drive daily 100 miles for about a year and a half. I drive 5 minutes to work now, so drastically different. Figured from the get-go that buying it was my best option but wanted to explore all possibilities. I went to a credit union on my break and opened a checking account (meaning to do for a while, gently caress wells fargo) and was also approved for the car loan - just waiting to hear back on the rate.

Git Mah Belt Son
Apr 26, 2003

Happy Happy Gators

prom candy posted:

How do you decide between a midsize or compact sedan? I'm currently driving a 2002 cr-v but I want to downsize. I drive myself plus two other dudes to hockey fairly frequently but my wife manages that feat in her Civic so I think a CR-V is overkill. Currently looking at a 2015 Sonata or a ~2014 era mazda3 sedan. I want something that feels high-end and handles better than a 2002 CR-V but without the reliability issues of buying an older entry level luxury car, and I can't decide if I want a midsize or not. I have about $20k CAD to play with but would happily go lower and grudgingly go higher.

Driving them, basically. Do you feel comfortable in a compact? Are you tall/large? Do you have a need for a bigger backseat/trunk? That's how you make your choice. If you feel uncomfortable in a compact then go larger.

Do you feel uncomfortable in your wife's Civic to the point you say "hey, I really wish I had more room in this thing"?

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

My current car, a 1997 Geo Metro, is on its last legs, so I'd like to replace it now, while it still mostly runs, rather than needing to panic buy a replacement once it actually dies. This is the first time I'm buying a car (the Geo was passed on to me when my parents moved recently).

Proposed Budget: 6-10k is where I've been looking, but I can save more if it would make sense to do so
New or Used: used
Body Style: Something on the smaller side. I don't really like driving large cars, and I will also be parallel parking this on the street every night.
How will you be using the car?: Commute and do groceries. It is unlikely that it will ever be used for anything else.
What aspects are most important to you?: Overall cost of ownership. Anything I buy will be a step up in terms of driving comfort anyway, so I'm not really that concerned about it.

Right now I'm leaning towards looking for a manual transmission econobox that's a few years old and has around 30k-70k miles on it. Some occasional craigslist research seems to show that something like a Ford Focus or Nissan Versa would be well within my price range (or even below it, which is great). I know that a lot of cheap cars have lovely automatic transmissions, am I right in thinking that looking for a manual will spare me some of that grief, or are they just as bad? I don't know how common it is to need to replace a clutch in a car's lifetime (although I know it is considered a wear item). I'm the third owner of this Geo Metro, and it's still on the original clutch after 170k miles, so I feel like my perspective on that sort of thing is skewed. My budget is pretty flexible, mostly that seems to be the sweet spot around here on the depreciation curve for a commuter car. I can keep saving for a while if it would make sense to spend more than 10k.

I don't necessarily want to rule out a good deal on an automatic, either, but I'm not sure what the best way is to tell if a particular model year has issues. TrueDelta seems to have a lot of info about that sort of thing, are they a reliable source? From reading this thread, Mazdas and Priuses seem to be recommended a lot. Used Priuses seem to be very expensive around here (SF Bay Area), but I'm planning on keeping my eyes open for one of those. I might be too focused on up front cost, though, maybe in the long run it would be worth getting a Prius over a cheap manual car? It sounds like in general I'd want to look to the Japanese makes for a reliable automatic in my price range?

Also, I'm a bit embarrassed to admit that I kind of like how the Fiat 500s look, and really like how small they are. The manual versions have come up surprisingly cheap on Craigslist (~$6k for like a 2012 with 50k miles-ish). I'm usually wary of these kinds of cult car type things, but does anyone have any experience with them?

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Don't buy a fiat. Very poorly built.

I recommend either a fit or a mazda 2 (manual only on the 2). A regular prius is also a great car, but as you not the cost of entry will be a bit steeper.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Git Mah Belt Son posted:

Driving them, basically. Do you feel comfortable in a compact? Are you tall/large? Do you have a need for a bigger backseat/trunk? That's how you make your choice. If you feel uncomfortable in a compact then go larger.

Do you feel uncomfortable in your wife's Civic to the point you say "hey, I really wish I had more room in this thing"?

I'm a small manlet (5'6") so I don't think there'd be any issues fitting. I've never driven my wife's car because I don't know how to drive stick (shameful I know, I'm going to get her to teach me asap) but I used to drive my parents' 2001 civic and liked it fine. I've driven their 2006 civic and I can't stand it, the visibility is terrible and I feel like my rear end is a foot off the asphalt.

The other positive for a midsize is the back seat space would be nice. I DD a lot and I also drive groups of us to client meetings for work now and then. My wife and I also haven't ruled out having a kid and I think a car seat might be a tight fit in a Mazda3 or a civic.

Is it a dick move to go test drive a bunch of cars with no real intention of buying anything? I'm pretty interested in at least 5 models right now based on features and price but I know a bunch will get ruled out as soon as I get behind the wheel.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It's not a dick move to test drive a bunch of things. You're in the market for a car and not just joyriding or something so definitely don't feel bad about it. Be ready to fend off the salespeople though.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

powderific posted:

It's not a dick move to test drive a bunch of things. You're in the market for a car and not just joyriding or something so definitely don't feel bad about it. Be ready to fend off the salespeople though.

Cool, thanks!

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

If I absolutely love a car and intend to keep it for at least a decade with TLC, is an 84 month loan still stupid?

edit: So that I can think of it more in actual cost of the vehicle, is there a good resource or heuristic for judging the cost of maintenance per year on various cars?

signalnoise fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Feb 10, 2017

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

signalnoise posted:

If I absolutely love a car and intend to keep it for at least a decade with TLC, is an 84 month loan still stupid?

Yes.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

signalnoise posted:

I'm glad to see you've completely beaten the impulsive spending that made you create a BFC thread a while back.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Grumpwagon posted:

I'm glad to see you've completely beaten the impulsive spending that made you create a BFC thread a while back.

I appreciate your rebuke but man, questions and answers are free. Assumptions are what cost. For all I know someone comes out and tells me some poo poo about how having an apr lower than inflation blah blah blah

spog
Aug 7, 2004

signalnoise posted:

I appreciate your rebuke but man, questions and answers are free. Assumptions are what cost. For all I know someone comes out and tells me some poo poo about how having an apr lower than inflation blah blah blah

Just to clarify: this loan is for a car that you plan to use about once a month for going to the shops?

Did you know that you can buy a life-sized batman statue for less than $4,000

http://www.ebay.com/itm/The-Dark-Knight-Rises-BATMAN-Life-Size-1-1-Scale-Collectible-Figure-Statue-NEW-/171676325550

Use the money you save to pay for taxis or rental of exotic cars when you fancy a drive in something cool

Plus, as you keep it indoors, it won't depreciate

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

signalnoise posted:

Yes. It means you can't afford it.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Right on, I'm cool with these ideas

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Do you guys have something like Car2Go in your area? That may make more sense.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

ShadeofBlue posted:

Also, I'm a bit embarrassed to admit that I kind of like how the Fiat 500s look, and really like how small they are. The manual versions have come up surprisingly cheap on Craigslist (~$6k for like a 2012 with 50k miles-ish). I'm usually wary of these kinds of cult car type things, but does anyone have any experience with them?

I understand the allure of the FIAT, but if you go that way, know what you're getting into. It's a great car in many ways, but really sucks in others (I guess that describes a lot of cars, depending on what you consider important). The engine itself is fantastic and nearly bullet-proof, but the support systems (fuel, cooling, etc.) tend to have lots of small issues. Or maybe none, if you're lucky. They seem to be either riddled with problems or almost completely trouble free. All cars are far more reliable than they were even 20 years ago, but FIAT still lags the pack.

General consensus seems to be it's a good city car, but not particularly comfortable or useful for long trips. For commuting and buying groceries, it might be perfect. Car and Driver did a long-term test on one, which may be insightful.

There was a 500 thread here that eventually petered out. It's still around if you prowl back a few pages and you can read of peoples' experiences with it.

On the other hand, my sister has a Honda Fit and loves it. If reliability is your main criterion, it would be a much better choice. Other cars in that class (ca. 2012) would be a Chevy Cruze, Mazda2 (as was mentioned), the Scion xD, Toyota Yaris, Kia Rio, or the Nissan Cube.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
When I was looking at smaller cars the Honda Fit seemed to be the top of everyone's list.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Motronic posted:

Yes. It means you can't afford it.

Allow me to add some perspective, when I needed a car and my credit was an absolute trash fire, my term was 72 months (paid it off in <36). If someone is offering you 84 it's not because they think you're going to take extra special good care of it.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

IRQ posted:

Allow me to add some perspective, when I needed a car and my credit was an absolute trash fire, my term was 72 months (paid it off in <36). If someone is offering you 84 it's not because they think you're going to take extra special good care of it.

I'm aware of why, and my credit is actually good somehow. But I don't really care about their reasoning, I only care about the result.

To be clear, it should be obvious that I'm willing to ask stupid questions in order to get an answer because I am aware that if I make all my decisions without external input I will make bad decisions more often.

signalnoise fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Feb 10, 2017

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

Credit union offered me a 5.15%/60mo rate with only a $48 processing fee, plus tax/title. Overall less than $14k financed, no early payoff penalty, cut my monthly payment by $80. I feel better about this deal.

Thanks goons.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

signalnoise posted:

I'm aware of why, and my credit is actually good somehow. But I don't really care about their reasoning, I only care about the result.

To be clear, it should be obvious that I'm willing to ask stupid questions in order to get an answer because I am aware that if I make all my decisions without external input I will make bad decisions more often.

While there is a danger that we sound snarky at times, it's usually with the best intention: to stop you from making a mistake that will haunt you for the next 84 months, that so many people here have made before you.

(also, some us like to be a bit of a dick at times)

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Literally the only reason to take 84mo finacing would be if they offered 0% on it AND you could afford a shorter loan.

You really don't want to be financing a new car beyond the warranty period -- the whole reason to buy new is to avoid fixing poo poo any what not (even though the math doesn't work, it still feels good). Paying to fix a car while paying your note sucks rear end.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

signalnoise posted:

edit: So that I can think of it more in actual cost of the vehicle, is there a good resource or heuristic for judging the cost of maintenance per year on various cars?

At >1.00% if you couldn't otherwise afford the payments at 36 months. If you've got a used car loan for 84 months at 0% knock yourself out.

Prius? Nearly nothing, few hundred between tires, oil change, and misc.
Civic? Not quite double that. You'll need brakes at some point. Most of it is single hit items later in the cars life like the suspension.
Nissan? Surprisingly often for a JP econobox, avoid.
German luxury badge? 10x the running total.
German luxury badge with performance options? Double it again.
German performance luxury badge? If you have to ask...

Prices go up rapidly the more bells, whistles, luxury, and performance there is in the vehicle.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

signalnoise posted:

I think edmunds has a Total Cost to Own (TCO) Calculator.

Generally the first 3 years of car ownership are just basic maintenance. Oil changes, maybe a set of wiper blades. After that is when things start varying.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Well, one of the dealers I was talking to knew I was interested in entry level sporty cars, and just got a 2013 mx-5 with a bit under 30k miles on it. Pretty much exactly the same conditions as my last car when I bought it. Hard to argue with that at 15.5k instead of looking at stuff that I just shouldn't buy in my situation. I mean, I could pay a 84 month loan and have what I really want, or I could pay less per month for 3 years less time and be merely satisfied. So tonight I choose between a new Veloster Turbo and a 2013 Miata.

Tips on this decision? Stuff to look for in person regarding the used Miata? Negotiation advice? I have nothing to trade in, and I'll just be comparing those two cars because I can afford it and I already like them.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Is this still on the 84 month loan? What's the %?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

IRQ posted:

Clearly this information is unimportant.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

IRQ posted:

This would be with a 48 month loan probably. It'd be roughly the same monthly payment as the 84 month on a more expensive car, which I could afford monthly but would have been stupid to pay the extra 3 YEARS. I can pull about a 3.25-3.5 from my bank, and I'm going to ask the dealership to beat that, paper in hand. That's for the Miata. If I buy the Veloster my dealership has an offer right now for 0% financing for up to 72 months, whatever yearly increment I feel like.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I wouldn't tell the dealership the rate to beat. Have them come forward with their best rate. Tell them you have a rate you are happy with from your bank and were going to go with them, but they're welcome to try to win your business. They don't like that, but why tell them that they only need to come in a 3.0% if they can actually go down to 2.5%.

If the other dealership is offering 0% financing, even if it's for 72 months, that is always a nice incentive. Take the money you would have put down and put it in safe investment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

It's actually the same dealership. But yeah they are apparently looking to offload these things. The Miata just happens to be at the Hyundai dealership.

Ok, so negotiation wise don't show my hand until I have to. Good tip.