Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

kingcom posted:

Unironically the best argument in defence of D&D. Cause holy poo poo ever since 3.x did they make character creation a laborious nightmare. I'd still recommend people go check out one of the retro D&D games that make nice and quick character creation a real thing but yeah being able to sit down and get a full group from blank slate to ready to play in a few hours is a long forgotten fact about rpgs.

Edit: Can we rename the thread to 3.x gon give it to ya?

Dungeon World lets me create a character by circling boxes and ticking checkmarks, and they'll have a depth of play roughly comparable to 5e :shrug:

Don't even need to look at the book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

I have a supplement in the works. Here's the final draft:

Make up some cool monsters to fight and assign them a CR number. Build a balanced encounter for your players by rolling on the following table:

Encounter table 1

1-49: DM's choice
50-59: DM's choice
70-84: DM's choice
96-00: Roll again and use either or both of the results, DM's choice.

The DM should feel free to alter this table to suit their game.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Dungeon World is better than 5e but not by much. Like 5e it does a really good job of not understanding its own rules, which creates a lot of problems.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

bewilderment posted:

Dungeon World lets me create a character by circling boxes and ticking checkmarks, and they'll have a depth of play roughly comparable to 5e :shrug:

I mean yeah if we're going for different systems theres a tonne of easier/quicker/cleaner/simpler things but baby steps I guess.

User0015
Nov 24, 2007

Please don't talk about your sexuality unless it serves the ~narrative~!

Arivia posted:

Argument: Pathfinder is bad.
Reason: Because it takes so much longer to create a character.
Subreason: It takes so much longer to create a character because there is so much material to look through.
Subreason 2: I know this because it took me so long to find the material I was interested in (Path of War).

Now, I'm pointing out that subreason 2 is wrong. It's wrong because Path of War isn't official Pathfinder content produced by the rules designers, so difficulty in finding out about it isn't a statement about the Pathfinder rules system itself. Because I've done this, your entire argument is invalidated. The onus is on you to repair that argument by revisiting, restating, or providing additional supplemental material. Are you going to do that?

Aside from that, you can make a quick and easy effective martial combatant in Pathfinder. You need the Core Rulebook, Advanced Player's Guide, and Ultimate Combat. Make a barbarian and pick up the beast totem and superstitious to spell sunder rage power chains. You'll be quite effective. Note that Path of War doesn't expand martial characters' out of combat options very much at all.

You missed what started this off.

User0015 posted:

I could see the issue of DM Fiat or homeruling be problematic, but that blog really shoots itself in the foot with its comparison to pathfinder. I mean, his first complaint is that the classes aren't balanced, but Pathfinder is the epitome of dumpstering martial classes in favor of magic casters. I don't know much about the gear grind because our DM homeruled a system for improvement that wasn't gear dependent, but his claim its easy to fail character creation in 5e versus pathfinder? Is that a joke? How much errata and how many books are on paizo right now that you'd have to familiar with to roll a character properly? That's absolutely crazy.

The blog might be right about encounter building and mechanics. But at least half the article talks about unbalanced classes and martial vs spellcaster balance, which is probably the biggest problem in pathfinder.

Here, I'll fix it.

Argument: Pathfinder class balance is worse than 5e.
Reason: Errata is extensive and favors magic users.
Proof: Path of War is specifically designed to shore up martial weaknesses and is third party.
Proof the second: 5e includes a subclass almost exactly like Path of War that is included in the core PHB.
Ergo: 5e is better than PF for class balance.

User0015
Nov 24, 2007

bewilderment posted:

Don't even need to look at the book.

That's cool. I'm surprised they don't have something like that for DnD.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

User0015 posted:

You missed what started this off.

Here, I'll fix it.

Argument: Pathfinder class balance is worse than 5e.
Reason: Errata is extensive and favors magic users.
Proof: Path of War is specifically designed to shore up martial weaknesses and is third party.
Proof the second: 5e includes a subclass almost exactly like Path of War that is included in the core PHB.
Ergo: 5e is better than PF for class balance.

You made that post two posts after the originating post I quoted that you made. You've got your lines crossed, kid. And if you think that the 5e fighter archetypes are comparable to Path of War, you obviously didn't read the latter well, or at all.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

AlphaDog posted:

I have a supplement in the works. Here's the final draft:

Make up some cool monsters to fight and assign them a CR number. Build a balanced encounter for your players by rolling on the following table:

Encounter table 1

1-49: DM's choice
50-59: DM's choice
70-84: DM's choice
96-00: Roll again and use either or both of the results, DM's choice.

The DM should feel free to alter this table to suit their game.

Hey Alpha Dog somebody already made this game here.

It's a hack of Lasers & Feelings, of course.
Downside of the hack - rolling your number gives 'extra insight' instead of 'dungeon dragons'.

User0015
Nov 24, 2007

Arivia posted:

You made that post two posts after the originating post I quoted that you made. You've got your lines crossed, kid. And if you think that the 5e fighter archetypes are comparable to Path of War, you obviously didn't read the latter well, or at all.

The blog post in the quote is what started that discussion.

Also, that post is between the other two, not after. Get your poo poo together, Arivia!

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

User0015 posted:

That's cool. I'm surprised they don't have something like that for DnD.

In D&D there's 5+ pages for class, 2+ pages for race, skills, gear, backgrounds, feats, etc to go through to make a character even if you're not dealing with the spell lists.

You could probably do a pre-gen with options to pick from, but I don't think you could do a 2-page sheet for character creation and play like DW does.

bewilderment posted:

rolling your number gives 'extra insight' instead of 'dungeon dragons'.

2/10 would not play. Also I feel that as gamemaster I am constrained by those tables. There is no note telling me that I can change them if I want.

(Laser & feelings is great though).

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Feb 10, 2017

Doodmons
Jan 17, 2009

Super 3 posted:

That tomb of horrors play through sounds absolutely boring as gently caress. Scripting every room or interaction to a series of steps like was described seems to suck all the fun out of it. To top it off spending 13 hours doing it... ugh.

It literally sounds like the party wrote pseudo code to get through each room. Not exactly my cup of key but if it floats your boat cool.

:agreed: - it's why I was playing Skyrim on my laptop and drinking cider instead of playing Tomb of Horrors. They all had fun though, and it was a hell of a thing to watch. What can I say, the spectrum is strong with the people I game with.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

User0015 posted:

The blog post in the quote is what started that discussion.

Also, that post is between the other two, not after. Get your poo poo together, Arivia!

Yes, and you attributing it to the other posts is your attempt to move the goalposts. You made the posts in that order, don't blame me when your bad arguments are laid bare.

Doodmons
Jan 17, 2009

koreban posted:

Is that fundamentally different from me just letting him roll charisma at a lower D.C.?

Absolutely yes - it's fair and consistent, and player facing to boot. The player gets to control his Strength and Intimidation bonus so it's the player who makes sure he can pass that Intimidation check. If you lower the DC it's all on you, and there's no system to keep you fair and consistent. Even ignoring consistency and fairness, and ignoring the difference in gameplay experiences between player-facing and non player-facing mechanics, in a pure "this is less work for me, the GM" the former is still superior.

User0015
Nov 24, 2007

Arivia posted:

Yes, and you attributing it to the other posts is your attempt to move the goalposts. You made the posts in that order, don't blame me when your bad arguments are laid bare.

True words. When my arguments are proven wrong, and PB has better class balance than 5e, I will not blame you; I will dance in the streets and praise Paizo's name.

Anyways, this stupid poo poo aside, I'm still curious about write-ups on 5e that cover mistakes and rules issues. I don't think think that blog was well thought out, mostly because they invoked PB as their reason 5e class balance is bad. So if anyone has some good posts on problems and issues with 5e, I'd like to read them. Maybe even some house rules stuff I could suggest in the future. Also, it's an Adventurer's League campaign, if that changes things.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
Give your players 6-8 extra HP if you start them at level 1.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
Here is my cat next to a Gelatinous Cube.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

lifg posted:

:krad:

Big Black Brony
Jul 11, 2008

Congratulations on Graduation Shnookums.
Love, Mom & Dad
The last few pages of this thread are abysmal to read and absolutely awful.

Big Black Brony
Jul 11, 2008

Congratulations on Graduation Shnookums.
Love, Mom & Dad

lifg posted:

Redeeming quality by this tabaxi about to take on a terrible dungeon monster.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon

Big Black Brony posted:

The last few pages of this thread are abysmal to read and absolutely awful.

this was all a very important conversation about

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

lifg posted:

Lookit dat fuggin' cat

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

koreban posted:

Is that fundamentally different from me just letting him roll charisma at a lower D.C.?

In a way, yes, because it's an acknowledgement that the standard spread of ability modifier + proficiency bonus alone does not sufficiently capture the intended competency/success rate that the rules are supposed to depict.

Like I said, if you have a Rogue that has high Dex and is proficient in Sleight of Hand, versus a Fighter or Wizard with low Dex and is not proficient in Sleight of Hand, and you still have to give the Rogue a lower DC anyway when they try to pickpocket someone, exactly what use is the Dex modifier and the proficiency bonus supposed to be in the first place?

A little more than a year ago, I tried to break down and come up with some guidelines on how to set DCs that would make sense:

gradenko_2000 posted:

On a lark, I decided to try and build a DCs by level chart, since the ones provided don't really make sense beyond just "hey let's kick it up by 5 because 5 is a nice round number".

The Easy DC's don't really move because in a throwback to 3.5e's design, there's no level-based failsafe/catch-up/minimal-competency mechanic like with 4e's Half-Level Bonus or 13th Age's full-level bonus. I was considering using a definition of "you are not proficient in the skill, and you're using a non-primary ability score for that skill", but the ability modifier for a non-primary ability score isn't really going to move all that much either, since your first two ASIs are always going to go towards maxing your primary, and you only have 4 ASIs (unless you're one of those other classes that gets extras, but then you're supposed to use those for feats).

Comparing this to the as-written DC charts in the DMG:

An Easy DC is supposed to be 10. The Easy DC in the chart above is 8
A Moderate DC is supposed to be 15. The average Moderate DC in the chart above is a 12.5
A Hard DC is supposed to be 20. The average Hard DC in the chart above is a 16.5

And this further reflects how the math just doesn't work out very well because, as you correctly discerned and have been band-aid-patching with your houserule, the "specialization" into a particular skill set still relies so much on the roll of the d20 that you have to give the specialized players their own lowered DC because the game's flat modifiers contribute so little.

Zarick
Dec 28, 2004

What's a good alternative to 5e if it's so horrible? To me, it seems to fill a niche of medium complexity high fantasy dungeon crawling RPG, which doesn't seem like there are many competitors for. 13th Age doesn't seem any better (and is in many ways worse), 3e/PF are obviously poo poo, and stuff like Dungeon World is almost entirely handwaving. (I tried to have my players play this, it didn't make it through a whole session because it was all: "What do I do now?" It's too open-ended for a lot of novice RPG players.)

I'd really like a game that does what 5e is trying to do, but correctly -- I just don't think that game exists.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

As a general question, what would everyone expect baseline competence in skills like the ones in 5e to look like in a person who is a professional D&D style adventurer?

Zarick posted:

What's a good alternative to 5e if it's so horrible? To me, it seems to fill a niche of medium complexity high fantasy dungeon crawling RPG, which doesn't seem like there are many competitors for. 13th Age doesn't seem any better (and is in many ways worse), 3e/PF are obviously poo poo, and stuff like Dungeon World is almost entirely handwaving. (I tried to have my players play this, it didn't make it through a whole session because it was all: "What do I do now?" It's too open-ended for a lot of novice RPG players.)

I'd really like a game that does what 5e is trying to do, but correctly -- I just don't think that game exists.

What do you think 5th ed is trying to do? Or to put it a bit better, what do you want out of your fantasy RPG? If you want something like a big dungeon or a hex map to explore, BECMI D&D or a retroclone might suit you pretty well, and there's heaps of good advice in the old D&D / retroclone thread about modernising those games, or finding versions of them that have been modernised by someone else.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Feb 10, 2017

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Zarick posted:

You take that loving back.

Zarick
Dec 28, 2004

AlphaDog posted:

As a general question, what would everyone expect baseline competence in skills like the ones in 5e to look like in a person who is a professional D&D style adventurer?

What do you think 5th ed is trying to do? Or to put it a bit better, what do you want out of your fantasy RPG? If you want something like a big dungeon or a hex map to explore, BECMI D&D or a retroclone might suit you pretty well, and there's heaps of good advice in the old D&D / retroclone thread about modernising those games, or finding versions of them that have been modernised by someone else.

I've thought of (and looked at) OD&D and retroclones, but they don't really have that many cool character options or concepts to explore, which I'm pretty fond of. I've also read a lot of the retroclone thread and most of them don't really try to deviate all that much from the extreme simplicity of OD&D.

So ideally:
* a reasonable amount of character options, preferably balanced between fighters and wizards
* magic items and other treasure
* reasonable rules for both the DM and the players

I almost want to say my favorite that I've seen but wouldn't want to play is Dungeon Crawl Classics, which has a lot of cool ideas and then doubles down extremely hard on both the meatgrinder style of play (that quickly gets tiresome to me and my players) and the lack of any help to the DM. Skills? I dunno. Non-combat things? Make stuff up! Monsters? Well, here's a few, but we want you to make up your own without any guidance on how to do that and not end your game immediately.

So far, imperfect though it is, 5e has done the best job of hitting all these notes. (4e is arguably better, but it's really complex and time-consuming, and most players I've played with don't like it for those reasons and not because they're edition warriors).

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Paramemetic posted:

Change of topic: I've recently started rolling things like perception, insight, etc for my players behind the screen and giving them the result without telling them what the roll was. This forces them to make decisions based on what they know without the meta knowledge of "well it was a 3 so I shouldn't trust this." It has been a lot of fun and ends up giving the story more of a narrative feel. I would not do this for more "active" checks like athletics or acrobatics where the player would know if they hosed up anyhow and relies on it and definitely not during combat.

My question is has anyone ever done it like this, what were the pros and cons, and is there anything in particular to watch out for you can think of that maybe I'm not thinking of? My players aren't likely to call bullshit or not believe me and I've given them no reason to so that is not a major concern, but I would probably have them roll anything with major consequences themselves. Can't imagine that would come up with an insight or perception or knowledge, etc roll though.

D&D is a binary task-resolution system. You are given a task, with a specified difficulty rating, and you succeed or fail at your task depending on how you roll. How well it operates determines on how structured the framework is that you're doing the task in.

I mean, if there's a monster and the players don't know its AC, they don't just constantly make attack rolls until one of them hits. The monster operates in the larger structure of combat, where people are expected to wait their turn to attack, and the combat itself shifts and moves outside of their turn before they get to go again.

When there is no structure to operate in, you get The Perception Check That Does Nothing, which I am giving all caps because it has become a fixture of the hobby. How do I know? It's the only mechanical interaction in the opening example of play for industry-leading product Dungeons and Dragons, Fifth Edition.

So, instead of rolling dice where the players can't see them and being coy about the results, you instead need to create a structure so the players can roll in the open. Maybe you want to go old-school with this - you only have a limited amount of time to act freely before there's a wandering monster check or the regent gets fed up with being eyeballed and every attempt takes up a significant amount of precious time.

Maybe you want to go new-school - if you step up to the check and fail, that's it, no backsies, and you get the information you were looking for beaten into you, or conveyed through some misadventure.

Maybe you want to toss 'em in a blender - there's an advancing clock and every failure suckersmacks you a little.

Two things to keep in mind if you want to create a structure. People can, like, help each other out for advantage and things in combat, right? Let that apply if it makes sense. And also, since there's definitely something going on on a failure, you can also be definite on success.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
I've got a player who is very strange about roleplaying. She made a great character, she's got a character voice, she wrote a few pages of backstory...then she went charging through my dungeon aggroing everything because "We were going to fight them anyway, might as well trigger all the mobs" :psyduck:

Gonna shock her next session when I reveal this entire adventure was a trap by the BBEG they could have avoided if they'd done any investigation whatsoever :laffo:

Any other tips for shaking them of the video game mindset?

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Zarick posted:

I've thought of (and looked at) OD&D and retroclones, but they don't really have that many cool character options or concepts to explore, which I'm pretty fond of. I've also read a lot of the retroclone thread and most of them don't really try to deviate all that much from the extreme simplicity of OD&D.

So ideally:
* a reasonable amount of character options, preferably balanced between fighters and wizards

My default answer for this kind of response would be to try out Warhammer Fantasy RPG but GW just took their ball home with that so good luck trying to find either 2nd or 3rd edition selling somewhere.

Vengarr posted:

Have a group of monsters be talked out of fighting and have everyone cut a peaceful deal where both sides get what they want. A group of kobolds in a orc holdout trying to free their friends. Thats a pretty good approach to explaining why you want to approach each encounter uniquely.

kingcom fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Feb 10, 2017

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Zarick posted:

So ideally:

I almost want to say my favorite that I've seen but wouldn't want to play is Dungeon Crawl Classics, which has a lot of cool ideas and then doubles down extremely hard on both the meatgrinder style of play (that quickly gets tiresome to me and my players) and the lack of any help to the DM. Skills? I dunno. Non-combat things? Make stuff up! Monsters? Well, here's a few, but we want you to make up your own without any guidance on how to do that and not end your game immediately.

So far, imperfect though it is, 5e has done the best job of hitting all these notes. (4e is arguably better, but it's really complex and time-consuming, and most players I've played with don't like it for those reasons and not because they're edition warriors).

So... something that is much like modern D&D in terms of character creation, magic item lists etc, but with clearer/better rules, interesting combat, non-meatgridery metagame, and doesn't pay close/any attention to non-combat stuff?

If you find it, let me know!

I'd say Warhammer Fantasy Roleplaying 3rd ed meets all your bullet points, but it's very different from D&D which kind of sounds like it'll be a dealbreaker for you. I've just found out it's been out of print for years, never mind.

edit 2: Beaten on the WHFRP thing :)

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Feb 10, 2017

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Playing my first session ever right now on d20. I am 1 for 5 on easy rolls (Deception with +5, Eldritch Blasts with +3 against pissant goblins). It's great. I blew up a horse with Eldritch Blast.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

Vengarr posted:

I like games that have you announce your intent before rolling initiative. They'll soon find "wait and see what they're going to do" is almost always the best course of action. Every animal that growls at you isn't a threat. Maybe they are scared, and if you let them leave, they'd be happy to scamper away. Stop running monsters like they are trying to win the combat game and run them like they are capable of acting in their self interest. When you convince your players that everything is there to be fought and every fight is to the death, video game mentality will prevail.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Zarick posted:

What made Dungeon World any more handwavey than 5e? "What do you do" is something almost universal to RPGs.

I'm no longer as starry-eyed about 13th Age as I once was, but I'm still mostly convinced that it's a much better designed game than DnD5e.

The flipside to the happy-skycastles of 13th Age is the demonguts of Shadow of the Demon Lord and that game is also pretty cool and there's a bit of a writeup of it in the F&F thread. It's basically DnD5e but with some better design and some Warhammer Fantasy bits stuck on, that you can also choose to rip off if you don't feel the need for Insanity and Corruption points. Downside is that the game doesn't have a free SRD.

Comedy option:
Play Torchbearer if you wish your games were more like the video game Darkest Dungeon. Torchbearer is also a well-designed game.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Playing my first session ever right now on d20. I am 1 for 5 on easy rolls (Deception with +5, Eldritch Blasts with +3 against pissant goblins). It's great. I blew up a horse with Eldritch Blast.

Stay staff warlock horse.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Vengarr posted:

I've got a player who is very strange about roleplaying. She made a great character, she's got a character voice, she wrote a few pages of backstory...then she went charging through my dungeon aggroing everything because "We were going to fight them anyway, might as well trigger all the mobs" :psyduck:

Gonna shock her next session when I reveal this entire adventure was a trap by the BBEG they could have avoided if they'd done any investigation whatsoever :laffo:

Sounds like a pretty good way to handle it.

The basic idea of D&D progression (kill monsters -> gain xp -> level up) has been causing the "The monsters are there to fight, we should fight them" attitude since forever, so I'd also mention it outside the game because it sounds like the player's engaged with the mechanics and the roleplay but has come in with a set of expectations of what goes on in D&D that don't match the game you want to run.

You've found a neat way to show them, in-game, that what they're doing isn't a good idea. Tell them out-of-game too, and be specific and clear about what sort of game you want to run. Also mention the video game thing. Maybe some of them really want to play a CRPG style tabletop dungeon crawl - if so, awesome, you've just found the GM and theme for your next campaign.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Feb 10, 2017

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice

AlphaDog posted:

The basic idea of D&D progression (kill monsters -> gain xp -> level up) has been causing the "The monsters are there to fight, we should fight them" attitude since forever, so I'd also mention it outside the game because it sounds like the player's engaged with the mechanics and the roleplay but has come in with a set of expectations of what goes on in D&D that don't match the game you want to run.

Yeah, tell them that monsters aren't worth xp. Completing the mission successfully is the goal.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

nelson posted:

Yeah, tell them that monsters aren't worth xp. Completing the mission successfully is the goal.

Monster kills = xp is a fine way to run a dungeon bashing game, but that's not really how the D&D's being played now (or in the last 15+ years).

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Zarick posted:

I actually was going to recommend Dungeon Crawl Classics.

For skills, the way it works is: set a DC, d20-style. If the player's background/profession would suggest that they're competent at it, have them roll a d20. Otherwise, have them roll a d10. Add the corresponding ability score modifier.

To bring this back to what I was talking about with koreban regarding basic competency/skill specialization expressing itself in the rules without need for DM fiat, consider a task of DC 8.

If the Rogue tries to lockpick it, and I let them roll a d20 because they're a Rogue, and they add a +1 from their Dex, that gives them a 70% chance of success.
If the Fighter tries to lockpick it, and I let them roll a d10 because that's not their wheelhouse, and let's grant that they still have a +1 from their Dex, that gives them a 40% chance of success.

I didn't have to go in and "fix" the DCs myself - the rules did that for me.

As for the monsters, keep in mind that DCC is at heart an OSR game, so you should be able to lift monsters, if not entire adventures, from old-school games and run them in that.

Zarick posted:

So ideally:

You're correct that the OSR isn't going to have much in terms of mechanically-represented character options, but you kinda do have to get deep into mechanical crunch if you want that, and if you're already ruling out 4e, and 3e/PF, and 13th Age, then there's not much more to go on.

You could check out Shadow of the Demon Lord, or Fantasy AGE/Dragon Age RPG.

The only other thing that comes to mind would be OSRIC - the retroclone of AD&D 1e. The rules have been cleaned-up to the point where it should be playable, and there's enough mechanical complexity there across classes that should be roughly similar to what you'd get in the 5e PHB.

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice

AlphaDog posted:

Monster kills = xp is a fine way to run a dungeon bashing game, but that's not really how the D&D's being played now (or in the last 15+ years).

Some of us are old mkay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

nelson posted:

Some of us are old mkay.

If youre old then the xp is gained based on how much gold you collected.