Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Svaha posted:

I'm kind of at a loss as to how they could wrap up the season halfway thorough the second book as well.

Do the assault on Io but not the ring gate reveal, or vice versa.

AlternateAccount posted:

Need a better thread title anyway. Suggestions go.

We know where we’re going.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."

johnsonrod posted:

I think us as the viewers are a lot more trusting of Fred Johnson than your average belter though. We've seen his back story, but to most people he's the guy who defected from Earth after slaughtering a station full of innocent belters. I think Miller see's that Dresden's basically just convinced Johnson to let him live and to keep the program running and just acts. Yah it's not the smartest move, they could've learned who's actually running the project, but Miller's not about to trust "The Butcher of Anderson Station" with a program / weapon that's already killed a few thousand on Eros.

That and like someone said, Miller's pretty much just out for some self destructive revenge.

I love the way Miller explained it at the end, "I did it because he made sense." or however he says it. I wasn't totally on board with him killing dresden until he said that. Yeah, he could have let dresden say two sentences about his employer but it's more dramatic this way.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Miller had to kill Dresden while he had the opportunity. Could he have gotten a couple more sentences out of him? Yeah, probably. But he can’t wait till he’s sitting down at a table with Anderson.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love
I just got that Eros spins on its side like spin the bottle.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

gohmak posted:

I just got that Eros spins on its side like spin the bottle.

Yeah, it was weird to see the visualization, but my brain went "Oh, duh. That way they have a level "ground" for people."

It's sort of counterintuitive on how you'd expect a cylinder shape to revolve, but then you remember it's out in space so the axis doesn't matter as much if you're pouring energy into the rotation.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Yeah you want the longest axis of rotation so you can get gravity at the lowest RPM. So more like spinning a bar-bell than a tube.

I'm surprised there aren't more fancy colonies in the expanse. Where's the big luxurious tubes and wheels?

Or even a big hollowed out asteroid with a nice habitat inside.

I guess with the imperialist earth and mars sucking up 99% of space resources no one has anything to build tubes with, just squatting in mines.

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Feb 9, 2017

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Baronjutter posted:

I'm surprised there aren't more fancy colonies in the expanse. Where's the big luxurious tubes and wheels?

Some exist, but why would you live there when you can live on Earth, Luna, or a Jovian/Cronian moon?

https://fat.gfycat.com/EqualGaseousEquine.mp4

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

They should ditch the plot for one episode and do the Space Mormon comedy club.

johnsonrod
Oct 25, 2004

Platystemon posted:

Some exist, but why would you live there when you can live on Earth, Luna, or a Jovian/Cronian moon?

https://fat.gfycat.com/EqualGaseousEquine.mp4

They sure love their floor windows on Eros.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
e: After looking at it again, nevermind.

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

I'm glad I rechecked the space squash scene.

They were playing without rackets :stonk:

Also, few pages back but

flosofl posted:

It's "Owkwa". It's on the SyFy page for the Belter Creole 101.

http://www.syfy.com/theexpanse/blog/belter-creole-101

According to the Expanse Fan Wiki, it has it's roots in Finnish.

I checked the wiki too, and as a finn I call utter bullshit. (It's listed there with Finnish roots) No word with the pronunciation "owkwa" in English or Finnish pronunciation or anything near "aqua" or whatever would come close to any word meaning water or any sort of fluid in the Finnish language.

Or any Finnish word for that matter.

Water in Finnish is vesi

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Dessel posted:

I'm glad I rechecked the space squash scene.

They were playing without rackets :stonk:

That's called handball you dingdong.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Holy crap, I love Thomas Jane, Space Dad.

Svaha
Oct 4, 2005

The Expanse, season 2: "I'm peeing right now...the perks of a vac suit"

Svaha fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Feb 10, 2017

Justin Credible
Aug 27, 2003

happy cat

Platystemon posted:

Do the assault on Io but not the ring gate reveal, or vice versa.

We know where we’re going.

I just got that despite just watching the episode, amazing.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

Svaha posted:

The Expanse, season 2: "I'm peeing right now...the perks of a vac suit"

The Expanse, season 2: "Have you ever talked to a pedophile?"

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

I noticed that AV Club picked this show back up and reviewed the last episode. I wonder if it's because it's amazing, or their readers dogged the poo poo out of them for ditching it after season 1.

I even got my 60 year old father watching this show and he's not even into science fiction.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Mental Hospitality posted:

I noticed that AV Club picked this show back up and reviewed the last episode. I wonder if it's because it's amazing, or their readers dogged the poo poo out of them for ditching it after season 1.

I even got my 60 year old father watching this show and he's not even into science fiction.

lolling at anyone who takes the AV Club or their very bad reviews seriously

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

etalian posted:

lolling at anyone who takes the AV Club or their very bad reviews seriously

Solid avatar/post combo

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

I don't live or die by their reviews, but I don't find the site offensive or anything. :confused:

Just nice to see the show get more (well deserved) recognition.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Found a good interview with Chatham on io9 that went up today.

https://io9.gizmodo.com/last-nights-expanse-was-more-proof-that-its-the-best-sc-1792172927

EDIT: OH poo poo. There's spoiler about The Churn in there, so read at your own risk! Sorry thread, I completely glossed over that for some reason. If the thread wants me to remove the link, I will.

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Feb 10, 2017

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

This is what fascinates me most in existence: the peculiar necessity of imagining what is, in fact, real.

flosofl posted:

https://io9.gizmodo.com/last-nights-expanse-was-more-proof-that-its-the-best-sc-1792172927

EDIT: OH poo poo. There's spoiler about The Churn in there, so read at your own risk! Sorry thread, I completely glossed over that for some reason. If the thread wants me to remove the link, I will.

Having read but books, but not The Churn I'd say it has mild book spoilers related to Amos's character but nothing major.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

ATP_Power posted:

Having read but books, but not The Churn I'd say it has mild book spoilers related to Amos's character but nothing major.

I agree (having read them too), but some people get bent about mild spoilers, I just wanted to head that off.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
it certainly casts his dialogue about talking to pedophiles in a different light.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
I never read Churn. There were enough clues about his past scattered throughout the 6 main books, as well as the episodes leading up to this week, that the spoilers in that interview from Churn are more just confirmation than an actual spoiler.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Nihonniboku posted:

I never read Churn. There were enough clues about his past scattered throughout the 6 main books, as well as the episodes leading up to this week, that the spoilers in that interview from Churn are more just confirmation than an actual spoiler.

Yeah, but to be fair, this isn't the book thread.

I'm just gonna double down and say if you don't want to be spoiled for a facet of Amos's backstory, don't click. Personally, I don't think it would affect my enjoyment one way or the other, but then I typically don't have a big issue with spoilers.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
I mean, I'm going to guess I've just been spoiled by someone saying whatever it is puts this episode's dialogue in another light. So that's kind of lovely.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

The only thing worse than a book reader in TV IV is a comic book reader.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

MiddleOne posted:

The only thing worse than a book reader in TV IV is a comic book reader.

The novellas aren’t comic books, though…?

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

I mean, I'm going to guess I've just been spoiled by someone saying whatever it is puts this episode's dialogue in another light. So that's kind of lovely.

what dialogue? there's an awful lot of it.

I mean, sorry if I spoiled something for you, but I could've been talking about anything.

uber_stoat fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Feb 10, 2017

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

flosofl posted:

I like the bit where Holden's actor points out that Amos has a lot of lines that would otherwise be zingers, but for Amos he's just asking. That kind of simple, honest "just asking" attitude is really well done, and makes Amos way more interesting than your average tough guy..

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

uber_stoat posted:

what dialogue? there's an awful lot of it.

I mean, sorry if I spoiled something for you, but I could've been talking about anything.

Unfortunately context clues are a thing. Don't worry about it though. They have to make the series interesting for book readers anyway, so I'm sure being spoiled on one aspect of a character won't be that big of a deal.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
My favorite part of people getting worked up about being "spoiled" is when they think they've been spoiled and they haven't. If you somehow got Amos' backstory from uber_stoat's post then, well, you're some kind of oracle.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
I like Amos' famous cookies.

SPOIL'D

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I've been crypto-triggered by quantum spoilers. Is it a spoiler if you haven't observed it as such??

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
:rolleyes: I didn't get worked up and I said don't worry about it. I'm more annoyed at myself that I think I've put two and two together.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I think magnets hosed up the part of my brain that gives a poo poo about spoilers and I'm kinda sad about it :(

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

I really hope they develop Bobbie more once they get to Ganymede. The rah-rah semper fi attitude that she wears on her sleeve is one-dimensional and getting stale, fast.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

404notfound posted:

I really hope they develop Bobbie more once they get to Ganymede. The rah-rah semper fi attitude that she wears on her sleeve is one-dimensional and getting stale, fast.
As someone who hasn't read the books, I'm having trouble understanding at the moment why everyone seemed so excited about the character being in the show.

Miller and Amos, on the other hand, are both a lot of fun to watch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subyng
May 4, 2013

404notfound posted:

It's so cliché as to be cringey at times.

• Locked thread