Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug

Gendal posted:

I like the look but as I said, I totally understand the complaints about it being garish.

I found it much, much less obtuse than modded minecraft. I mean AE2 & Thaumcraft are in a different league in terms of wiki dependency. At least with Evolved it's internally consistent so once you get over that initial hump it's less wiki dependent. I did have issues trying to go from Minecraft to this, it's different enough that you will fight it a bit until you get over the differences. After a short period I preferred Evolved's differences, but it can be jarring at first. A big hint at first - no range limiter on placing items.

I just think if you can get into modded minecraft and liked Factorio then this should be right up your alley, plus It has a poo poo ton of content so it well rewards the effort. SA has however been historically wildly negative about this game and I just thought it was unwarranted, perhaps because of historical reasons. I didn't check it out for the longest time because it was so reviled here.

I think that the basic controls are part of the problem here - it's a huge loving mess. AE2 and Thaumcraft each introduce a bit and require some wiki'ing, but generally have continuous logic between them and interfaces that mesh.

But plenty of folks play and enjoy games with obtuse weird interfaces like flight sims and stuff so I'm not like, totally harshing it, just saying 'boy howdy this isn't a flight sim and it doesn't need to be as bad as it is.'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
To be fair shift to crouch, double tap to run is pretty obtuse to. Nevermind minecrafts goofy crafting interface.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

Killer-of-Lawyers posted:

To be fair shift to crouch, double tap to run is pretty obtuse to. Nevermind minecrafts goofy crafting interface.
That's at least remappable and you can still discover it easily enough by hitting the key above the usual crouch key in games.

FCE's key mapping is just all over the shop and, for me, was one of the biggest obstacles in playing it (and why it sits uninstalled on my Steam library).

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug

CrazyTolradi posted:

That's at least remappable and you can still discover it easily enough by hitting the key above the usual crouch key in games.

FCE's key mapping is just all over the shop and, for me, was one of the biggest obstacles in playing it (and why it sits uninstalled on my Steam library).

Yeah like MC isn't AMAZING or anything but it's intuitive enough for the fun to kick in.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Killer-of-Lawyers posted:

How is shift to crouch obtuse? That's pretty standard for any first-person game. Sometimes c or ctrl, but that's a minor variation. The other things though.... definitely.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Are there any good YouTube series that cover all the stuff in SkyExchange?

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
Lol, some of the hostile NPCs at the end of the Aftermath main questline respawn after you kill them. This is so hosed up. Also, I suspect the reinforced spacesuit pieces don't actually give the armor they say they do.

McFrugal fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Feb 7, 2017

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Yeah, the end of the main questline was dumb and stupid and I cheesed the gently caress out of it.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

McFrugal posted:

Lol, some of the hostile NPCs at the end of the Aftermath main questline respawn after you kill them. This is so hosed up. Also, I suspect the reinforced spacesuit pieces don't actually give the armor they say they do.
It's not just that they respawn, it's that they respawn in like 6 seconds.
Also it does give armor, the NPCs just do insane amounts of damage.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.
I'm really enjoying this Draconic Reactor thing! I like how you can route it's power output directly back into the containment field. (with a flux gate limiter so it only takes what it needs) Currently outputting 250,000 rf/t with 30,000 rf/t being sent to the containment field.

Let's hook it up to my 3 billion RF Valiant Capacitor storagOH GOD SECOND SUN

So....flux gate for the output too...

Arkitektbmw
Jun 22, 2010
I hate to say this but that looks cool as hell.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Now that is a loving survival map.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

depending on how you look at it, that could be an efficient way to clear blight from the map if you're playing blightfall

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

You know that block in rftools that automatically, wirelessly, keeps you fed and healed? I think it's the environmental controller? Is there any 1.10.2 mod that does that?

Bluemillion
Aug 18, 2008

I got your dispensers
right here

neogeo0823 posted:

You know that block in rftools that automatically, wirelessly, keeps you fed and healed? I think it's the environmental controller? Is there any 1.10.2 mod that does that?

Pretty sure RFTools is updated to 1.10.2.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Johnny Joestar posted:

depending on how you look at it, that could be an efficient way to clear blight from the map if you're playing blightfall

On Blightfall, you want to clean the cave systems of fibrous taint, not just the surface. Also you need to remove the biome to get credit for cleaning the world, which explosions do not help with. In other situations it's possible for fibrous taint to pop up out of nowhere if you TNT the area. I'm not sure what the restrictions are on that though.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Bluemillion posted:

Pretty sure RFTools is updated to 1.10.2.

Yeah, but I'm looking for that functionality specifically without RFTools.

Krakatoah
Jul 8, 2009

Super High-School Level Bean-dog

Johnny Joestar posted:

Blightfall doesn't have Draconic Evolution though, you can make do with the Dawn Machine however!

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

I gave up on the Draconic Reactor. As fun as it was and as end game as it was, it just doesn't output enough.

I thought I'd try making a Mekanism Fusion reactor in creative to learn how to make them and what they can do and while I haven't tried the steam side of it, I'm guessing the theoretical max is 400 million RF/t ?

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy

Ak Gara posted:

I gave up on the Draconic Reactor. As fun as it was and as end game as it was, it just doesn't output enough.

I thought I'd try making a Mekanism Fusion reactor in creative to learn how to make them and what they can do and while I haven't tried the steam side of it, I'm guessing the theoretical max is 400 million RF/t ?

Keep in mind that a Mekanism Fusion reactor will generate power AND output steam for a Turbine.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
Well it's been like a year and Curse for minecraft hasn't turned out to be terrible, apparently. Where do I get the correct client? I remember hearing that Curse Voice is what I need but it doesn't appear to exist on the curse website, and for that matter google results claim it's just a VOIP client.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
quick question: I'm occasionally playing with some modpacks I made with Extra Utilities and Tinkers Construct for some reason... I was wondering if it's possible, using just those and Botania's changes to Dispensers to either auto-fill lava buckets or place lava inword for a thermalily farm.

lolmer
Jan 21, 2014

McFrugal posted:

Well it's been like a year and Curse for minecraft hasn't turned out to be terrible, apparently. Where do I get the correct client? I remember hearing that Curse Voice is what I need but it doesn't appear to exist on the curse website, and for that matter google results claim it's just a VOIP client.

Just get the Curse client itself, which also has VOIP and some other bloat in it. :) No Linux client yet, unfortunately.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Buddy of mine was looking to play a game with me, so we set up Blightfall and are running through it. Dome Beta loving owns.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
That's the one with the cave entrance, right? I started there way back when.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Sage Grimm posted:

That's the one with the cave entrance, right? I started there way back when.

It's the one near the south of the map, in between two villages. I think all domes have caves under them, though.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

lolmer posted:

Just get the Curse client itself, which also has VOIP and some other bloat in it. :) No Linux client yet, unfortunately.

Yeah, see, I don't WANT the bloat.

lolmer
Jan 21, 2014

McFrugal posted:

As far as I know that's the only option for Minecraft via Curse. Honestly I don't even notice the bloat as I just go straight to the Minecraft tab and then to my modpacks from there. I also don't leave the Curse client running when I'm not playing Minecraft.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

McFrugal posted:

The curse client uses 16mb while open, if that. The 'bloat' is hardly noticeable.

Nevermind. I didn't notice the 4 entries in 'background processes'. Why the hell does it use nearly 350mb of ram...

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Anyone else reading this thread waiting for Rubitex to open that one chance cube we all know and love?

Also @Rubitex, good luck with the philosophers stone, that block on the bottom middle of the crafting grid is a fucker, needs something like 18 villager souls amongst other things to make the soul machines.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
But Technic Launcher uses 500mb-1.5gb of RAM. While it's minimised after using it to launch a pack.

Top one is Minecraft itself, bottom is Technic Launcher (and I've seen it use a lot more than that for no apparent reason too). The point is, just run it when you want to launch a pack, close it after.

Edit: it also looks like Rubitex might be playing the Kappa version of PO2, which is deliberately made to be grindier and more difficult.

Black Pants fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Feb 9, 2017

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

AceClown posted:

Anyone else reading this thread waiting for Rubitex to open that one chance cube we all know and love?

Also @Rubitex, good luck with the philosophers stone, that block on the bottom middle of the crafting grid is a fucker, needs something like 18 villager souls amongst other things to make the soul machines.

I like it, making me earn the Philosophers stone is probably the best way to force me to play other mods :v:

Black Pants posted:

Edit: it also looks like Rubitex might be playing the Kappa version of PO2, which is deliberately made to be grindier and more difficult.

Nope, its regular mode. They just specifically targeted all the ProjectE items to be end-game.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Can anyone recommend some decent magic mods that are new as of 1.10? I know about Roots, but I wanna know if there's more options out there or not.

EDIT: also, I found a substitute for the environmental controller of RFTools. It's a mod called Random Utilities. It adds a magic lunch box and heart canister that can be upgraded to feed and heal you automatically.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

neogeo0823 posted:

Can anyone recommend some decent magic mods that are new as of 1.10? I know about Roots, but I wanna know if there's more options out there or not.

EDIT: also, I found a substitute for the environmental controller of RFTools. It's a mod called Random Utilities. It adds a magic lunch box and heart canister that can be upgraded to feed and heal you automatically.

Blood Magic is overhauled in 1.10. There's also PSI.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

Is it possible to disable the starfield effect of tesseracts? As cool as it is, I think it's lagging me out to 3 fps. Even when I covered them up with a wall so I can't see them. As soon as I turn around, my fps drops.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

Ak Gara posted:

Is it possible to disable the starfield effect of tesseracts? As cool as it is, I think it's lagging me out to 3 fps. Even when I covered them up with a wall so I can't see them. As soon as I turn around, my fps drops.
IIRC Minecraft still renders blocks in your FOV/draw distance even if you can't actually see them on the screen.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That seems really inefficient, especially as I have 6951 tesseracts.

[edit] 8400. I'm wondering if I should use some of those mekanism's Universal pipes to flow everything to fewer tesseracts.

Ak Gara fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Feb 10, 2017

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug

Ak Gara posted:

That seems really inefficient, especially as I have 6951 tesseracts.

[edit] 8400. I'm wondering if I should use some of those mekanism's Universal pipes to flow everything to fewer tesseracts.

...why?

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

I can't even come up with a silly answer to that myself! The whole notion of it paralyzes me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Hedging the futures market.