Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Ika posted:

Just ordered an English version of the last german discworld book I hadn't replaced yet... so it sort of counts as a new book, right?

I need to figure out what to do with the box of german language books that I no longer need.

Sell them for a few euros.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Ika posted:

I need to figure out what to do with the box of german language books that I no longer need.
I gave mine to the local library. Duh.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Don't do that without asking them first or checking the catalogue. The usual way book donations go at libraries is someone will have to take time out of their day to check them, only to confirm that yes, they do have them already.

Then again German libraries are usually understocked on good fantasy books. Might actually be worth a shot in this case. Ask the person in charge of Erwerbung, not the folks at the counter, and don't show up with the box unannounced.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Definitely see if the library wants them, I stumbled onto a copy of Going Postal at mine and that's how I got started on the Discworld Train.

DrNewton
Feb 27, 2011

Monsieur Murdoch Fan Club

YggiDee posted:

Definitely see if the library wants them, I stumbled onto a copy of Going Postal at mine and that's how I got started on the Discworld Train.

Funny, even though my older sister and my best friend read the discworld series, I didn't start reading the series until I was at a bus stop, sitting next to it was a little free library. In there there were tons of discworld books. I picked Going Postal.

I regret not taking them all. There were some first editions in there of the 1990s versions.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

My Lovely Horse posted:

Don't do that without asking them first or checking the catalogue. The usual way book donations go at libraries is someone will have to take time out of their day to check them, only to confirm that yes, they do have them already.

Then again German libraries are usually understocked on good fantasy books. Might actually be worth a shot in this case. Ask the person in charge of Erwerbung, not the folks at the counter, and don't show up with the box unannounced.

I don't know how matters stand in Germany, but Terry Pratchett is officially the author whose books are most frequently stolen from UK libraries. A donation of his books is only likely to be refused on basis of condition.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Jedit posted:

I don't know how matters stand in Germany, but Terry Pratchett is officially the author whose books are most frequently stolen from UK libraries. A donation of his books is only likely to be refused on basis of condition.

Let's hope some guild licenses were shown or else a lot of people are going to end up covered in bruises and banana skins.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Ika posted:

Just ordered an English version of the last german discworld book I hadn't replaced yet... so it sort of counts as a new book, right?

are those the ones with the soup ads

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

Hogge Wild posted:

are those the ones with the soup ads

I'm planning on checking when I dig out the box, I'm pretty sure I have color of magic and its 15-20 years old.

I will ask the library, but I think they usually don't keep donated paperbacks.

E: Apparently the soup ad was in pyramids, I don't have a first edition of that

Ika fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Feb 10, 2017

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Jedit posted:

I did not know this and it's a fact that made me smile and brightened my day a little. That's excellent!

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

My Lovely Horse posted:

In the USA, or at least in and around Chicago, most public libraries have a Friends of the Library sale every few months. Some even have permanent stores. All donations go to the Friends who sell the books and the proceeds go to the library.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Just watched Back in Black, the Pratchett documentary. gently caress that was hard :(

Hogblob
Mar 24, 2008

thespaceinvader posted:

Just watched Back in Black, the Pratchett documentary. gently caress that was hard :(

Neil Gaiman tearing up was heartbreaking.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Jesus uh, maybe later this week for me....

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

With this magnificent aircraft,
and my magnificent facial hair,
the British Empire will never fall!

Hogblob posted:

Neil Gaiman tearing up was heartbreaking.

My tear ducts were perfectly synchronised with his at that point :/ It's good though, definitely worth watching. Crying is good for you.

So Facebook keeps throwing sponsored links at me for an author named John Logsden saying things like "Fans of Discworld and Monty Python will love this!". The blurbs make them sound like somebody who wants to jump into a Discworld-shaped hole that suddenly appeared in the market, but has completely missed the point of why Pratchett was such a good writer and so has produced a line of generically zany Monkey Cheese Pants wizards and dragons fanfic. Maybe I'm being overly harsh. Has anyone taken the plunge on this guy yet?

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
Haven't read them - going by the amazon reviews, they're saying it's good for what it is (fantasy parody) - but no Pratchett.
If I see one in the wild, I'll report back.
--

Back in Black is such a good watch. Hard to watch, but a good 'un.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?
So I had a dream last night that Big Finish Audio announced they were doing a line of Discworld adaptations. I'm really sorry that's not a thing.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Roller Coast Guard posted:

So Facebook keeps throwing sponsored links at me for an author named John Logsden. Has anyone taken the plunge on this guy yet?

Try for yourself, he offers free samples.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

quote:

Criminals are trying to make erection meds out of Zombie parts.
how do they rise up, rise up, rise up

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

My Lovely Horse posted:

how do they rise up, rise up, rise up

Sounds like a ripoff of True Blood, where vampire blood may as well be called Vampiagra.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013
Not quite the same but I always enjoyed Richard Rankin.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Lovely documentary. I feel a little sad now.

Also, going into WHSmith to browse and see what books are on sale it seems a little sad that the huge shelf of Discworld books is now usually just a handful in the corner somewhere.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

How good is the Going Postal movie compared to the other Discworld adaptations?

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

double nine posted:

Goons love to poo poo on it, but it's a fun way to kill 3~ish hours.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

double nine posted:

Better than Colour of Magic, not as good as Hogfather.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

double nine posted:

Stellar casting and a general good job. As said, not as good as Hogfather, but still really good.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

cptn_dr posted:

Better than Colour of Magic, not as good as Hogfather.

Hogfather is bad though. Its just a bunch of people reciting parts of the book.

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Alhazred posted:

Hogfather is bad though. Its just a bunch of people reciting parts of the book.
:frogout:

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
Hogfather was all right, but Going Postal was just cringe-inducing. They made Moist Von Lipwig completely unlikable and Adora Belle completely generic, with all of her "flaws"removed the instant the movie was over. Mr. Pump was pretty awesome though, even if they had to wreck the story just to fit him in a bit more.

The best part of the movie was Sir Terry's cameo at the end, and his last line sums the movie up completely. "What an embuggerance."

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

The A story of Hogfather is pretty decent, It's the B story with the Unseen University and the shower that drops the ball.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

SeanBeansShako posted:

The A story of Hogfather is pretty decent, It's the B story with the Unseen University and the shower that drops the ball.

But only because the movie can't add the context of BS Johnson's incompetence. Really, the movie would have been better if it had just removed more content to focus on the main aspects of the story.

And also if it had been animated. Discworld simply doesn't work with live action characters, but it's never had quality animation. Give us a cartoon series with the Kidby designs and style and you'd have a winner.

Or do it like this:

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Screaming Idiot posted:

Discworld simply doesn't work with live action characters, but it's never had quality animation.

Are you suggesting that Cosgrove Hall didn't do quality animation?

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Screaming Idiot posted:

Hogfather was all right, but Going Postal was just cringe-inducing. They made Moist Von Lipwig completely unlikable and Adora Belle completely generic
I'd say that Moist being 100% a generic everyman hero with basically 0 conman competence and bluster it the biggest problem with the movie (besides everything else)

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
At least he had some vague sense of charisma? They turned fellow charming conman (and dark mirror to the protagonist) Reacher Gilt into a cackling old crippled generic evil guy.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

VagueRant posted:

At least he had some vague sense of charisma? They turned fellow charming conman (and dark mirror to the protagonist) Reacher Gilt into a cackling old crippled generic evil guy.

I always pictured gilt as Clive russel on spaced

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Jedit posted:

Are you suggesting that Cosgrove Hall didn't do quality animation?

Cosgrove Hall was on-par with the CD-I Zelda games and in most cases didn't even try to follow Pratchett's descriptions or characterization. At least the soundtrack of Soul Music was pretty good.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
No matter what you think of Going Postal, it was still better than Back in Black. Casting an actor to play Terry was a bad idea, but it might have worked if they had picked someone who was any good at it. If you watch it, just fast-forward all those parts (which is unfortunately about 90% of the drat thing).

e: Also, since Terry was famously a huge TMBG fan, I was kinda hoping they would have done a song for it. Did Terry even like AC/DC?

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Okay, after listening to Feet of Clay on audiobook again, that would definitely have been better if Angua talked in Zarya's voice instead of Magrat's.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I just now made the connection between Angua and "she-wolf of the SS". Wow I feel dumb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

precision posted:

No matter what you think of Going Postal, it was still better than Back in Black. Casting an actor to play Terry was a bad idea, but it might have worked if they had picked someone who was any good at it. If you watch it, just fast-forward all those parts (which is unfortunately about 90% of the drat thing).

e: Also, since Terry was famously a huge TMBG fan, I was kinda hoping they would have done a song for it. Did Terry even like AC/DC?

I liked it? v:shobon:v