Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003
Well so did St. Francis de Sales but it's not like the Salesians supported fascist governments. They just ran schools and orphanages.

I think it's mostly that adherents of St. Escriva and his lay prelature Opus Dei grew up in a really lovely time in Spain where your choice as a member of the Catholic clergy was to support Franco or die. And then somehow that gets transferred into the modern day, despite St. Escriva literally saying nothing at all about politics in his writings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
There's whole chapters of Isaiah that are just wonderful; the final line of Ezekiel always makes me emotional for reasons I don't understand; but two little scraps of scripture stick in my head:
Moses' response to God calling him: "O Lord, please send someone else to do it..."
And the people's words to a blind man called by Jesus: "cheer up, on your feet, he's calling you!"
They make a nice little story all by themselves...

Bel_Canto
Apr 23, 2007

"Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo."

Senju Kannon posted:

to this day i don't know why escriva, they were all about "hrrgh we're men, let's make being catholic manly" and for all his sins i don't think that was a thing escriva was doing

i'm not sure which ones make me drink more: the he-man "let's be manly catholic men" bros or the ones who read lots of chesterton and affect accents and smoke pipes and say colonialism was great all while living in suburban ohio

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
i'd say the manly catholic men cause they're also super homophobic and don't get the irony

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Bel_Canto posted:

i'm not sure which ones make me drink more: the he-man "let's be manly catholic men" bros or the ones who read lots of chesterton and affect accents and smoke pipes and say colonialism was great all while living in suburban ohio
both of them enable the authoritarianism that has given us president bannon, but i'd have to say the second because they pretend to be classier than they are

Senju Kannon posted:

i'd say the manly catholic men cause they're also super homophobic and don't get the irony
the guys who pretend to go to oxbridge are also super homophobic, and also don't get the secret punchline

edit: i have seen at least one alt right catholic guy online refer to himself, without irony and without knowing what he was saying, as a "confirmed bachelor"

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Feb 9, 2017

Bel_Canto
Apr 23, 2007

HEY GAIL posted:

both of them enable the authoritarianism that has given us president bannon, but i'd have to say the second because they pretend to be classier than they are

the guys who pretend to go to oxbridge are also super homophobic, and also don't get the secret punchline

edit: i have seen at least one alt right catholic guy online refer to himself, without irony and without knowing what he was saying, as a "confirmed bachelor"

god that's so precious

i bet he thinks the alt-right obsession with the apollo belvedere is just about admiring white manhood

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Bel_Canto posted:

god that's so precious

i bet he thinks the alt-right obsession with the apollo belvedere is just about admiring white manhood
there are no queers in greek art or its successor, renaissance italy

Bel_Canto
Apr 23, 2007

HEY GAIL posted:

there are no queers in greek art or its successor, renaissance italy

st sebastian was swole and butch

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Bel_Canto posted:

batting .500 will get you into the hall of fame

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Bel_Canto posted:

He's the one looking rather "happy" being shot full of arrows, isn't he?

Mr Enderby
Mar 28, 2015

Bel_Canto posted:

...or the ones who read lots of chesterton and affect accents and smoke pipes and say colonialism was great all while living in suburban ohio

I work by Westminster, and my nearest pub is popular with baby Tories. It's easy to feel sorry for them, with their sixth-form moustaches, their watch-chains and ill advised hats, unless you're standing close enough to hear what they are saying.

Bel_Canto posted:

Wait is that a thing?

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003

Bel_Canto posted:

Calvinism has a whole drat lot of the latter for whatever reason, except they like Spurgeon instead of Chesterton.

I've seen so many drat Calvinists go to bars, light up a cigar and start conspicuously reading books by some Reformed theologian nobody's ever heard of, aggressively but silently exuding their faux-intellectualism.

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you.

The Phlegmatist posted:

I've seen so many drat Calvinists go to bars, light up a cigar and start conspicuously reading books by some Reformed theologian nobody's ever heard of, aggressively but silently exuding their faux-intellectualism.

I have a rule that if I'm reading a book in public I keep it flat on a surface or in my lap, and when I need to interact with someone I close it so that only the back is showing. Works almost every time.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

Thirteen Orphans posted:

I have a rule that if I'm reading a book in public I keep it flat on a surface or in my lap, and when I need to interact with someone I close it so that only the back is showing. Works almost every time.

Works doing what :iamafag:

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you.

Tias posted:

Works doing what :iamafag:

:lol: Yeah that maybe isn't clear. Sometimes when people see me reading religion related books they get personal, which I normally don't mind, but I also know that the Chili joint down the street that caters to bikers and hipsters isn't exactly a safe-space.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

Just got back from a service in a gorgeous baroque church where a priest of the Teutonic Order put the gold-plated cranium of St Alto on my head to ward off headache (sadly the old tradition to drink blessed wine out of it has fallen to the wayside). I love this weird Church sometimes :getin:

Tias
May 25, 2008

This was Bavaria, I presume?

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003
pick my confirmation saint, funny hat wearers

or someone tell me why it's a bad idea to choose St. Moses the Black (whose patronage is non-violence)

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
San Romero

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

Tias posted:

This was Bavaria, I presume?

Yep! :)

The Phlegmatist posted:

or someone tell me why it's a bad idea to choose St. Moses the Black (whose patronage is non-violence)

I hadn't heard of this guy before but he sounds super cool, why would it be a bad idea?

e: lmao, I just read some more about St Alto and a book from 1802 tells me that "about this Alto a story is told about his great sanctity, namely that he spent all night with a young and beautiful nun only to test his abstinence and chastity". Yeah sure you did, buddy :v:

e2: forgot to mention that the monastery in Altomünster where I went to used to house both nuns and friars, and that its rule laid permanently in the hand of the abbess which pissed the author of this book off something fierce: "Now the monastery houses 38 women, 12 priests and 7 lay brothers; the former rule supreme, control the monastery's finances and economical activities too, order the men around and generally treat them like farmhands" :bahgawd:
There's only one elderly sister living in the monastery now, and it's due to be finally closed down this year :smith:

System Metternich fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Feb 9, 2017

Mr Enderby
Mar 28, 2015

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-north-east-orkney-shetland-38892669

This reminded me. Have you guys all read Magnus, by George Mackay Brown?

System Metternich posted:

e: lmao, I just read some more about St Alto and a book from 1802 tells me that "about this Alto a story is told about his great sanctity, namely that he spent all night with a young and beautiful nun only to test his abstinence and chastity". Yeah sure you did, buddy :v:

The Gandhi defense.

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003
Pope Francis Sneaks Leftovers To False God Moloch At Back Door Of St. Peter’s Basilica

No it's not LifeSiteNews, it's The Onion! LifeSiteNews is actually crazier.

Worthleast
Nov 25, 2012

Possibly the only speedboat jumps I've planned

The Phlegmatist posted:

Pope Francis Sneaks Leftovers To False God Moloch At Back Door Of St. Peter’s Basilica

No it's not LifeSiteNews, it's The Onion! LifeSiteNews is actually crazier.

Countdown to FWD:

Meanwhile, the Catholic Herald of all places gives a good summary of the SSPX situation: http://www.catholicherald.co.uk/issues/february-10th-2017/pope-franciss-traditionalists/

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

John "Black Jack" Pershing
Hard Fucking Core

The Phlegmatist posted:

What is your profession?

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

System Metternich posted:

Just got back from a service in a gorgeous baroque church where a priest of the Teutonic Order put the gold-plated cranium of St Alto on my head to ward off headache (sadly the old tradition to drink blessed wine out of it has fallen to the wayside). I love this weird Church sometimes :getin:
hey cool, he's pre-Schism so he's my saint too! :3:

Bel_Canto
Apr 23, 2007

hey y'all i don't know if i've been forthright about this before, but I'm discerning whether i have a vocation to the society of jesus. i just talked about this in another forum tonight and was met with some derision (because lol faggots can't be priests) and so i'm talking about it here too because i'm pretty sure you'll all be a bit better about it

Tias
May 25, 2008

Weren't a whole bunch of gay men priests back in the day? Whoever derided you were probably petit bourgie idiots who'd still live in the stone age if not for the rest of us.

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

Bel_Canto posted:

hey y'all i don't know if i've been forthright about this before, but I'm discerning whether i have a vocation to the society of jesus. i just talked about this in another forum tonight and was met with some derision (because lol faggots can't be priests) and so i'm talking about it here too because i'm pretty sure you'll all be a bit better about it

You've mentioned this before and I think (some?) Jesuits explicitly allow gay dudes. Mo Tzu may know more about this. So worry not.

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
like i wouldn't lead with being gay when you start the process, but my old spiritual director told me it wasn't a problem

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

Bel_Canto posted:

I think the real "problem" wouldn't really be you being gay (because let's be honest, a religious order who would refuse to accept you because of a sexuality you'd be swearing to not act on anyway probably wouldn't be one you wanted to be in) but the sheer commitment of not only the religious vows of chastity, poverty and obedience, but also that as a prospective Jesuit you'd be looking at ~7-8years of formation training to become a friar and another three or four to become a priest. When you really think that you have that calling then seriously go for it, it would be really neat to have a thread regular within the Jesuit-run NWO :v:

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
bel_canto for pope 2070, "It's Not Blackmailable If It's On The Internet Already"

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Bel_Canto posted:

Godspeed you to your calling, Bel_Canto! I'll keep your vocation in my prayers.

What I thought of immediately is the vow of obedience a Jesuit will take, which will exhort you to be honest with your legitimate religious superior, and I don't presume to know their answer on any subject.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Bel_Canto posted:

Good luck with finding your vocation! Would be pretty cool to have an actual Jesuit in the thread to be updated on the latest conspiracies. :v:

People tend to interpret the Instruction Concerning the Criteria for the Discernment of Vocations with regard to Persons with Homosexual Tendencies in view of their Admission to the Seminary and to Holy Orders as a blanket ban on all gay priests and monks alike for some reason, but most bishops are more sensible than that.

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003
jesuit gay, so what

I don't think the Society would have a huge problem with it unless attitudes have changed, but I've heard that the new generation of Jesuits entering into formation are much more conservative and traditionalist than Jesuits are usually portrayed as. So you'll have to deal with the fact that, during formation, you'll be living with people who may or may not have completely abhorrent opinions on LGBT issues. I know I wouldn't be able to do it, personally. So there's that to consider as well.

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

The Phlegmatist posted:

jesuit gay, so what

I don't think the Society would have a huge problem with it unless attitudes have changed, but I've heard that the new generation of Jesuits entering into formation are much more conservative and traditionalist than Jesuits are usually portrayed as. So you'll have to deal with the fact that, during formation, you'll be living with people who may or may not have completely abhorrent opinions on LGBT issues. I know I wouldn't be able to do it, personally. So there's that to consider as well.

that's almost more reason to do it. they say for any issue you can find a jesuit on either side of it, so perpetuating the jesuit detente sounds good, at least against catholic conservatism (which can be but isn't always fascist)

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003
idk the first day someone flippantly compares homosexuality to bestiality would also be my last day in the society

mainly because the cops would have to drag me out while I yelled about how thomas aquinas did 9/11

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
it is definitely a temperament thing yeah

Worthleast
Nov 25, 2012

Possibly the only speedboat jumps I've planned

Bel_Canto posted:

If you are aiming at total celibacy, it shouldn't matter. But it will because people are univocal literalists.

Persevere even in the face of suffering and contradiction. We'll be praying for you.

The Phlegmatist posted:

thomas aquinas did 9/11

Thread title

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Bel_Canto posted:

Go ahead m8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bel_Canto
Apr 23, 2007

Worthleast posted:

Thread title

gently caress yes

thank you everyone: it'll be a couple years yet before i'd even be able to enter, so i have some time to figure out whether this is my calling. i know the jesuits themselves have no problem with it institutionally (and in fact are the only major religious order who don't have a significant institutional problem with admitting men who are openly gay), but as people have said, the issue would be that yeah there are some very conservative young novices entering, and mostly i don't want to be the whipping boy for some snot-nosed 22-year-old's prejudices. hopefully a couple more years of prayer and spiritual direction will clear up my path.

• Locked thread