Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Overheated trains and buses are the worst in winter because you're wearing a thick coat and you can't put it anywhere.

Related: why are there no coat checks in movie theaters?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

The Snoo posted:

from the research we did, it seems like the police wouldn't really do anything unless they were dealers or had a large amount of weed. I'm not really thrilled to ever get police involved so I don't really know what our options are if they don't take precautions to stop the smell from getting everywhere in this place.

Just put an anonymous note saying "Yo smoke your weed in the bathroom like regular people, idiots". They smoke weed constantly so that will probably send them on a paranoid binge where they will try to cover up the smell as hard as they can.

Death Zebra
May 14, 2014

I'd have complained about the "How are you?" thing as well but thankfully I don't interact the same strangers regularly enough for that problem to show up anymore. There's still plenty of other pointless pleasantries to be annoyed by including "pleased to meet you" which makes no sense. Wait until the end of the interaction and say "it was nice meeting you"; it's still a distasteful sentiment but at least there's been something to have an opinion of even if you're lying.

I'm sick of websites demanding information that they do not need. When I registered my Roku account it attempted to railroad me into giving payment information by pretending it was an essential part of the registration process. In fact, the account was created by just giving an email address and password and if you log in, you be taken to the payment page but this time you'll have the option of skipping it. Also, the email I keep getting advertising coding courses says to download their ebook but the linked page will not let you until you give them your contact details including phone numbers. Motherfucker just let me read your prospectus then if you have something I want you'll get my contact details otherwise you won't need them.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

My Lovely Horse posted:

Overheated trains and buses are the worst in winter because you're wearing a thick coat and you can't put it anywhere.

Related: why are there no coat checks in movie theaters?

too much possiblility of something getting stolen, and the theaters don't wanna take the chance.

Solution: wear a giant coat but hide snacks in there

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

There's a conversation I have pretty often in one form or another.

It usually goes something like:

Other Person: "Hey, will you do X for me?"

Occasionally supplemented by:

Other Person: "This is why I want/need X."

Which is fine. Context is nice.

Assuming it to be a reasonable request that I am capable of doing, I'll usually come back with some variant of:

Me: "Sure."

:siren: I HAVE AGREED TO DO THE THING YOU WANT ME TO DO. I NEED NO FURTHER CONVINCING OR EXPLANATIONS OR REPEATED REQUESTS TO DO IT. THE CONVERSATION IS OVER AT THIS POINT :siren:

...the conversation is almost never over at that point.

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

DarkCrawler posted:

Just put an anonymous note saying "Yo smoke your weed in the bathroom like regular people, idiots". They smoke weed constantly so that will probably send them on a paranoid binge where they will try to cover up the smell as hard as they can.

the one dude I got into an argument with was in hardcore denial that anyone in that apartment smokes weed and lied to my face a bunch of times (example: 'nobody is in that back room where you're complaining the noise is coming from' as we see a couple of people poke their heads around the corner), so idk what the gently caress to do about it anymore. we have to wait up to two weeks for a response from the landlord, the police won't/can't do anything, and it's not going to get any better.

but good news: we got approved for a different apartment complex with a different company and hopefully we'll be moving out at the end of our lease!! it might not be much better noise-wise but it'll be closer to the bus. :unsmith:

which floor is best for less noise in a three story building, the top or the bottom? we've had more issues with noise below us the entire time, but our neighbors above were never blasting music or screaming so I don't know where we'd rather be. also the people above us moved out and they're doing renovations again. rip in piss cos I ain't getting any peace

in the meantime I am constantly stressed and screaming internally

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

docbeard posted:

There's a conversation I have pretty often in one form or another.

It usually goes something like:

Other Person: "Hey, will you do X for me?"

Occasionally supplemented by:

Other Person: "This is why I want/need X."

Which is fine. Context is nice.

Assuming it to be a reasonable request that I am capable of doing, I'll usually come back with some variant of:

Me: "Sure."

:siren: I HAVE AGREED TO DO THE THING YOU WANT ME TO DO. I NEED NO FURTHER CONVINCING OR EXPLANATIONS OR REPEATED REQUESTS TO DO IT. THE CONVERSATION IS OVER AT THIS POINT :siren:

...the conversation is almost never over at that point.

Yeah, one of my sisters is so bad at this. Any conversation, even it's just about what she did that day, she will repeat the conclusion of a story multiple times like shes not confident you get it or something. Ugh.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

The Snoo posted:

which floor is best for less noise in a three story building, the top or the bottom?

Top. If there's anyone above you you'll hear them walking around / moving furniture / dropping things.

Blue Star
Feb 18, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Piss on the toilet seat. I need to go farty-plops but i have to pause and wipe the toilet seat clean before I can sit down and drop my logs. Thanks a lot jerk

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

The Snoo posted:

the one dude I got into an argument with was in hardcore denial that anyone in that apartment smokes weed and lied to my face a bunch of times (example: 'nobody is in that back room where you're complaining the noise is coming from' as we see a couple of people poke their heads around the corner), so idk what the gently caress to do about it anymore. we have to wait up to two weeks for a response from the landlord, the police won't/can't do anything, and it's not going to get any better.

but good news: we got approved for a different apartment complex with a different company and hopefully we'll be moving out at the end of our lease!! it might not be much better noise-wise but it'll be closer to the bus. :unsmith:

which floor is best for less noise in a three story building, the top or the bottom? we've had more issues with noise below us the entire time, but our neighbors above were never blasting music or screaming so I don't know where we'd rather be. also the people above us moved out and they're doing renovations again. rip in piss cos I ain't getting any peace

in the meantime I am constantly stressed and screaming internally

Get the top floor. The majority of the noise I got from my old lovely neighbor was specifically downward-directed stuff like stomping. Incidentally, she was a pathetically bad liar too.

If you're getting a lot of noise from someone below you, then you'll still hear that if they're above you. But a lot of noise from someone above you won't be heard if they are below you.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
I guess one good thing about living in Satan's frozen rear end in a top hat is that everything is so well insulated that you basically have to be mentally ill in some way to make enough noise for your neighbours to hear you.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED
Peeve: People who bring up topics that were over days ago.

yeah I eat rear end posted:

Sometimes i think the vim fanatics are just pretending to like it to look smarter than the rest of us.

I never learned vim. I have however watched someone who was very good with it use it (a professor lecturing a programming class) and it was amazing what he was doing. No mouse, no need to reposition his hands, just flying all over the screen. Seems like it was made to be as hand-movement-efficient as possible, and it does a really good job, but without any concession towards intuitiveness. So the result is a tool that you have to learn by more or less rote memorization. If you put in the time to learn it's probably really nice to use.

Also, apparently the place in your brain that stores vim keyboard commands is also the one that makes you smug when it's active. I'll bet Dvorak keyboard layouts live there too.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
When you tell people you are going on a vacation and they are welcome to come and they start trying to change the plan entirely. I invited a few friends if they were interested in going somewhere I've wanted to go for years this summer, and one of them is saying "well, if we go to (city 800 miles away) it will be cheaper and more fun".

The part that annoys me most is it's missing the whole point of the trip - the one I suggested was more of a hiking/nature type of vacation, and he wants us to switch to one of the largest European cities. They are completely different vacations. It's like saying "no let's go to mcdonalds, it's cheaper and I like it more" when someone calls asking if you want to come to some fine dining restaurant. If you don't like the idea just say no, it's not a big deal, we can organize something you'd like better some other time.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Using your keys with one hand, and when you go to orient the key all the other keys on the keychain keep twisting it back around to the wrong orientation and you inevitably either drop the fuckers or have to put down your bag/groceries to use both hands to reorient them... yeah.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Brawnfire posted:

Using your keys with one hand, and when you go to orient the key all the other keys on the keychain keep twisting it back around to the wrong orientation and you inevitably either drop the fuckers or have to put down your bag/groceries to use both hands to reorient them... yeah.

Related, when one of the long bar-type keys gets inside a ring that it shouldn't be in, and it all turns into one of those metal puzzles ("Can you free the ring from the block" type things)

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

When you tell people you are going on a vacation and they are welcome to come and they start trying to change the plan entirely. I invited a few friends if they were interested in going somewhere I've wanted to go for years this summer, and one of them is saying "well, if we go to (city 800 miles away) it will be cheaper and more fun".

The part that annoys me most is it's missing the whole point of the trip - the one I suggested was more of a hiking/nature type of vacation, and he wants us to switch to one of the largest European cities. They are completely different vacations. It's like saying "no let's go to mcdonalds, it's cheaper and I like it more" when someone calls asking if you want to come to some fine dining restaurant. If you don't like the idea just say no, it's not a big deal, we can organize something you'd like better some other time.

"So we'll set up camp, go for a hike, then relax with some beers while we fish on the riverbank until it's almost sunset, then cook our catches over the fire. Sound good?"

"Yeah, sure."

*packs up car with camping and fishing gear*

"Hey thanks for picking us up, how about we go to a movie and then the strip club instead"

:argh:

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

"So we'll set up camp, go for a hike, then relax with some beers while we fish on the riverbank until it's almost sunset, then cook our catches over the fire. Sound good?"

"Yeah, sure."

*packs up car with camping and fishing gear*

"Hey thanks for picking us up, how about we go to a movie and then the strip club instead"

:argh:

I guess I should be happy they are springing it on me now instead of after flying across the atlantic. I mean I want to do something that everyone will enjoy but I still want to at least stick to the basic idea of the trip considering i'm organizing it.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
See also: when there's that one person in your group on a trip who refuses to eat local food. It doesn't even have to be exotic. We didn't come to San Francisco just to eat at Applebee's, Dan.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Magic Hate Ball posted:

See also: when there's that one person in your group on a trip who refuses to eat local food. It doesn't even have to be exotic. We didn't come to San Francisco just to eat at Applebee's, Dan.

This is always terrible. One guy I used to know actually ordered the chicken tenders off the kids menu because he couldn't find anything else he liked. At least give it a shot, a little flavor that isn't oil/salt won't kill you.

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

Magic Hate Ball posted:

My parents did this. They were going to Cyprus so we recommended a few really good places to eat. When they came back they complained that the food in Cyprus was rubbish. They'd ignored our advice and ate at the local cheapo pizza place and Dave's Real English Fish'n'Chips instead.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.
I am so sick of people getting pissy about what other people choose to eat when it doesn't affect them at all. Your picky-eater buddy won't let you go to the restaurant you like, that's a legitimate complaint because it's affecting you. Your picky-eater buddy goes with you to the restaurant you like, only orders their picky-eater thing and complains the whole time that there wasn't anything else for them, that's a legitimate complaint because it's affecting you (having to listen to them be a whiny piss jar the whole time). Your picky-eater buddy goes with you, orders their picky-eater thing and is happy about it, don't loving complain about that.

As a young adult I went through a picky-eater phase and in my case it was because I have a diagnosed panic and anxiety disorder and I grew up really poor and have never had money and would get severe anxiety at the thought of WASTING FOOD AND MONEY if I ordered something and turned out not to like it, so if people are just eating their thing and not bothering anybody else I have some loving sympathy :(

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
Add to that in the same vein, people bitching / judging about what other people wear. And I'm not just talking about People of Walmart level. I wear cargo pants, judge me all you want, I'll judge you for being judgemental. Doesn't get either of us anywhere. And socks and sandals are fine too, and Crocs. Why do people create this cult of 'everyone makes fun of certain things for no real reason'? Is it just to have an in crowd vs out crowd?

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

The only problem I have with picky eaters is when I cook and they refuse to eat a thing I made out of a want to be nice. Like, rude? Super rude. Even if you don't like a thing, at least be courteous and take a cursory bite. You don't gotta do any more than that, but to be like "ew gross I can't eat that it's got _________" like, gently caress you, buddy.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Podcast ads.

I know, I know, podcasting cost money and the hosts need to recoup it somehow, but christ there's no way for Host X to talk about Product Y for Z minutes without me wishing there was a note that the actual content starts at 4:32 into the episode.

Maybe it's because every podcast host wants to be ~funny~ during their ads and they wind up being longer, or something. Read the damned ad copy.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

I have no problem with the ads, but I wish there was a way to skip past Jack O'Brien's intro at the start of the Cracked podcasts.
Also that they got a different host.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

actualyl the ability to skip past literally any intro in a podcast would be great. I listen to a lot of podcasts, often in a row as I work. I don't wanna hear the same intro twelve times in a single work day.

Helios Grime
Jan 27, 2012

Where we are going we won't need shirts
Pillbug

InediblePenguin posted:

I am so sick of people getting pissy about what other people choose to eat when it doesn't affect them at all. Your picky-eater buddy won't let you go to the restaurant you like, that's a legitimate complaint because it's affecting you. Your picky-eater buddy goes with you to the restaurant you like, only orders their picky-eater thing and complains the whole time that there wasn't anything else for them, that's a legitimate complaint because it's affecting you (having to listen to them be a whiny piss jar the whole time). Your picky-eater buddy goes with you, orders their picky-eater thing and is happy about it, don't loving complain about that.

As a young adult I went through a picky-eater phase and in my case it was because I have a diagnosed panic and anxiety disorder and I grew up really poor and have never had money and would get severe anxiety at the thought of WASTING FOOD AND MONEY if I ordered something and turned out not to like it, so if people are just eating their thing and not bothering anybody else I have some loving sympathy :(

I can't talk about other people but what would bother me about picky eaters ( I don't actually know a picky eater ) if they complain about the food the whole time, so it's more a peeve about moaning and moping around rather than that someone that doesn't want to eat something specific.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Helios Grime posted:

I can't talk about other people but what would bother me about picky eaters ( I don't actually know a picky eater ) if they complain about the food the whole time, so it's more a peeve about moaning and moping around rather than that someone that doesn't want to eat something specific.

The post you quoted specifically addresses and excepts this.

InediblePenguin posted:

Your picky-eater buddy goes with you to the restaurant you like, only orders their picky-eater thing and complains the whole time that there wasn't anything else for them, that's a legitimate complaint because it's affecting you (having to listen to them be a whiny piss jar the whole time).

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

I mean yes it doesn't directly effect me if they don't make a big thing about it, but it's still a little frustrating when their reasoning is being scared to try something new rather than a valid "I don't like the taste of (whatever)". It's more of a wanting the person to have a good time thing than something that actually annoys me. If we're at applebees sure get the chicken tenders because everything else is going to be similarly bland+reheated from frozen/microwaved, but at nicer places that serve different styles of food I guarantee there's something on the menu you'd enjoy more than some chicken nuggers.

In the end it's your money and your experience so do what you want, but it can make some people feel like you didn't want to come to that restaurant and/or you don't trust their taste in food.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Tiggum posted:

I have no problem with the ads, but I wish there was a way to skip past Jack O'Brien's intro at the start of the Cracked podcasts.
Also that they got a different host.

Yeah, I don't know who told Jack he should be the host of... like, anything? The Spit Take is awful too, entirely because of him.

And as a relatively picky eater (not as bad as some, but not liking some simple stuff like rice causes a LOT of problems), it's probably the thing I most hate about myself. It really hampers hanging out with people that I otherwise really like, because I'm always worried that I won't be able to eat anything there, which people always notice and bring up and then it gets awkward. It's just an irritating complication that I'd really like to not have get in the way of being with friends.

It's also partly to blame for me being visibly underweight, which also causes problems. Turns out being a skeleton doesn't help when transitioning, and of course it is also a thing that people notice and bring up and then it gets awkward.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

In the end it's your money and your experience so do what you want, but it can make some people feel like you didn't want to come to that restaurant and/or you don't trust their taste in food.

Why would they trust yours when you clearly don't trust theirs?

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

This is part of why I don't invite people on vacation with me.

The other part is that no one I know seems to think that going to the airport five hours before an international flight makes any sense. :sigh:

Helios Grime
Jan 27, 2012

Where we are going we won't need shirts
Pillbug

YeahTubaMike posted:

This is part of why I don't invite people on vacation with me.

The other part is that no one I know seems to think that going to the airport five hours before an international flight makes any sense. :sigh:

How long have you been a father?

Edit: http://www.theonion.com/article/dad-suggests-arriving-at-airport-14-hours-early-29662

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

docbeard posted:

Why would they trust yours when you clearly don't trust theirs?

This argument doesn't make sense - I don't trust theirs because they have no basis for not wanting to try something, it's different than someone saying "you should try this because I have and it's good". If they tried some exotic food and said they didn't like it, fine, but to just outright refuse to try new things is when it becomes an issue. I would stake my reputation on stating that there is nobody on earth who legitimately only enjoys eating fried chicken discs and french fries and similar other picky eater favorites. Their taste would be fine if they'd even try to develop it, which they don't by refusing to try anything new, which is the problem.

Also I like showing up to the airport early too. If the airport has a hotel in the terminal I'll usually just come the night before even if the flight isn't until like 2pm. It's much more relaxing that way, knowing you don't have to rush any aspect of the process.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

MisterBibs posted:

Podcast ads.

I know, I know, podcasting cost money and the hosts need to recoup it somehow, but christ there's no way for Host X to talk about Product Y for Z minutes without me wishing there was a note that the actual content starts at 4:32 into the episode.

Maybe it's because every podcast host wants to be ~funny~ during their ads and they wind up being longer, or something. Read the damned ad copy.

Sociopastry posted:

actualyl the ability to skip past literally any intro in a podcast would be great. I listen to a lot of podcasts, often in a row as I work. I don't wanna hear the same intro twelve times in a single work day.

Umm, what podcast playing method are you using where you can't just fast forward through the ads?

BeyondPod has a "skip 30 seconds" button, I assume most other players have some way of fast forwarding.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

People who bite down on their fork and scrape it through their teeth in order to put food in their mouth. You have lips for a reason! How are you not suffering??

Also, people who capitalize the 's' in 'Microsoft'. Worse, people who are mentally a 14 year old punk and spell it 'Micro$oft' unironically.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Vacation pet peeves: going somewhere and then someone has the great idea to go to a beach and spend our time there! poo poo I am not opposed to that in principle, but you should have said that before we went to THIS specific country for the things that are only here, literally 99% of beaches are identical and we just could have gone to Gran Canaria or something for half the price if all you want to do is spend your time getting roasted, ogling bikini babes and drinking overpriced beer bro.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.
still arguing about how there's no excuse for picky eaters...

InediblePenguin posted:

or maybe i just didn't trust anyone else's taste because I'm stupid and want to offend them, yeah, okay

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Well you'd easily be excused for not trying something new if you just said "I am mentally ill" instead of "eww icky".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
Trying to assimilate into normie culture is actually helpful to most mentally ill people, so that is bad advice.