Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

veedubfreak posted:

hay,
hay,
HAY, HAY GUYS.
THEY'RE GIVING AWAY FREE MECHS FOR BUYING MC AGAIN.
GIVE :pgi: MONEY, QUICK QUICK.
http://mwomercs.com/news/2017/02/1725-sweet-deals-mc-3

Yeah, of course! gently caress you, :pgi: thanks to your braindead decisions I'm losing all my skills without ever being able to buy them back.

Now I'm even regretting retroactively the couple bucks I've spend on this game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you

DancingShade posted:

I've got some bad news.

You're still in the brown sea right here in this thread.

qft

Goast
Jul 23, 2011

by VideoGames

Artificer posted:

Fiddling in the mechlab, the Linebacker really is pretty garbo...

It's one of those mechs that looks garbage on paper but plays surprisingly well.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

gently caress the huntsman right in the ear

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

TjyvTompa posted:

For Energy Draw there was people that actually liked it but the backlash was so severe that they completely dropped the idea. I can't find anyone that likes this new skill system, not even people like me that like it just because it fucks over most other people. I wonder how this fucks over their new idea with mech packs, I also wonder how they will re-make the skill system once the new weapon systems get added when the technology advances, doubt they thought about that at all. Interesting times.

It's not like the skill tree can't be fixed into something good, either. I want the skill tree to be good, but pgi being :pgi:, they had to gently caress it up royally with nonsense bullshit.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

Freakazoid_ posted:

It's not like the skill tree can't be fixed into something good, either. I want the skill tree to be good, but pgi being :pgi:, they had to gently caress it up royally with nonsense bullshit.

It is my personal opinion that they can't make a good truly customizable skill system because the difference between people running the best builds with the best skills and people running bracket builds with haphazardly picked skills is too great without some kind of static bonuses i.e. quirks. Today they balance the game with quirks, what they want to do is to leave the balancing up to the players, for the players to pick the best skills, but there are too many "I want to play this game like I played MW2, with bad builds and a joystick" for it to work.
Just today there was a guy on reddit crying about how badly he does in an assault while using a joystick. People try to tell him that the game doesn't work good with a joystick due to the need to continuously put lasers on the enemy but he refuses to listen because he played MW2 with a joystick and it's more immersive and..... well you understand.

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib
People like those would profit from Players vs. Environment mode. Kinda like L4D had normal play and Versus. (aka PvE and PvP).

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer

Tank Boy Ken posted:

People like those would profit from Players vs. Environment mode. Kinda like L4D had normal play and Versus. (aka PvE and PvP).

People would love a MWO PvE mode and have been clamoring for it from the start. The problem, as always, is :pgi:.

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

Skoll posted:

People would love a MWO PvE mode and have been clamoring for it from the start. The problem, as always, is :pgi:.

If MW:O would be 4vs4 in PvP (with groups just going up against equal groups, so 2+2 vs. 2+2, 4vs4) you'd even have less matchmaking worries. Alas 12 vs 12 was choosen as holy goal. Though it's easy to be a critic with the advantage of hindsight.

People like to win, and it's okay for people to have their fun in PvE. Given enough customization options for $, even that can be profitable. See: Fallout SinglePlayer F2P game.

Rysithusiku
Nov 10, 2013

Witness the assless man and despair!
All futures point to a world of filled holes.

Tank Boy Ken posted:

If MW:O would be 4vs4 in PvP (with groups just going up against equal groups, so 2+2 vs. 2+2, 4vs4) you'd even have less matchmaking worries. Alas 12 vs 12 was choosen as holy goal. Though it's easy to be a critic with the advantage of hindsight.

People like to win, and it's okay for people to have their fun in PvE. Given enough customization options for $, even that can be profitable. See: Fallout SinglePlayer F2P game.

Frankly I don't see why they didn't just stick with 8v8 and leave the 12v12 for cw when they put that in. You wanna play a bigger match? Go play the bigger match mode.

Bonus: we could still have the old good maps that were "too small for 24 players"

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

8v8 seemed like a good size to help with mm concerns and also would help increase time spent alive which would fix a lot of the alpha meta.

Also I never played during 8v8 so

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
8v8 was great.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer
8v8 was loving perfect.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Freakazoid_ posted:

1) Replace weapon class skill branches with generic ones, so weapon boating doesn't become the only option (e.g. Heat / Range / Cooldown / Accuracy branches, where Accuracy = duration / velocity / charge / spread as appropriate)

2) Either keep the current mech quirks, or replace some of the more pigeonholing ones with bonus skill points, so the Tier 2 and under mechs aren't totally hosed

3) Waive the CBills cost for skill nodes when you use Legacy XP, so that long-term players can afford to keep their mech stables

There. This would not be enough to make it good, but at least it wouldn't be "white knights quitting the game" bad, and it's not like the current system is a masterpiece of game design either.

To actually make it good, I guess it would require some combination of un-loving the garbage skill branches and/or introducing diminishing returns to encourage mix-n-matching various trees and/or reducing the max amount of skill points to both lessen the grind and prevent you from just picking all the good trees.

But that's the kind of tuning you figure out in playtesting; the three point I listed at the top are poo poo any brain-damaged monkey should have brought up in the first design meeting.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
I mean at bare minimum they need to consider how many nodes are available for each 'mech

right now the KDK-3 can get armor/structure quirks, speed/mobility quirks, yaw quirks, and can ball out with UAC jam chance/velocity/cooldown quirks. it doesn't need, uh, like any of those and it gets as many options as, say, the VND-1X

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay
Our Liao contract has run out, I can't rock the PUG queue naked, someone fix it.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

quote:

We'd also like to inform everyone that while the Skill Tree was initially slated for a release in our upcoming patch on February 21st, we are now targeting a release for the March 21st patch to ensure sufficient time for iteration and improvement on the PTS client.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

quote:

We're taken aback by the reaction to the new skill system so we're having several panic meetings to try and figure out a way to fix it that doesn't result in us haemorrhaging money and players.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

They cant seriously have thought 2 weeks was enough time to fix what needs fixing on that skill tree change. I thought that was an alpha-level proof of concept. :stare:

e; Hell, two weeks isnt even enough time to test and implement any feedback they DID get. They were seriously planning on using the PTS to preview the change and then dumping it as is into live. :stare::pgi::stare:

Omar_Comin
Aug 20, 2004
Dark Jedi Carebear
Sounds good to me, on March 21st I will already be 6 days into an actual fun BattleTech game and MWO will be a quickly fading memory.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

Great Beer posted:

They cant seriously have thought 2 weeks was enough time to fix what needs fixing on that skill tree change. I thought that was an alpha-level proof of concept. :stare:

e; Hell, two weeks isnt even enough time to test and implement any feedback they DID get. They were seriously planning on using the PTS to preview the change and then dumping it as is into live. :stare::pgi::stare:

Supposedly they have been working on this new skillsystem for at least 7 months.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
I wonder really though how bad the player base will be hit. It's no one but BT fans playing anyhow, why else would they when there are so many better arena games?

I just wish I could be a fly in the wall at PGI that week.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)

Omar_Comin posted:

Sounds good to me, on March 21st I will already be 6 days into an actual fun BattleTech game and MWO will be a quickly fading memory.

Beta doesn't contain campaign, though. Gotta wait for that to get the greatest experience.

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

Great Beer posted:

It was supposed to hit in mid-to-late January after the patch but a collection of odd circumstances delayed it to this week.

Omar_Comin
Aug 20, 2004
Dark Jedi Carebear

Sky Shadowing posted:

Beta doesn't contain campaign, though. Gotta wait for that to get the greatest experience.

It will have PvP, so blowing up other people's 'Mechs in a non-PGI game is already going to be the greatest experience.

Goast
Jul 23, 2011

by VideoGames

I feel so loving dirty

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
SRMs or LRMs?

Goast
Jul 23, 2011

by VideoGames

Artificer posted:

SRMs or LRMs?

2 lrm20s and 2 medium lasers

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

Goast posted:

2 lrm20s and 2 medium lasers

Yeah, that's Polar Highlands for you. Bring a TAG next time though, for the CBills if nothing else.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

Have the Battletech guys raised their prices yet? The site says you can only be a "late backer" now, but the price is still at $25, which I think was the initial pitch?

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
Goes up on/after the 15th of this month.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Phrosphor posted:

The problem with MC2 is once you work out the AI's terrible secret the game gets pretty trivial.

Edit: Also wasn't the stated goal of the skill tree system to try and make things a little more diverse. It looks like it is going to promote cookie cutter builds even more.

Playing a bunch of MC Omnitech (aka improved MC2) it looks like they fixed that AI problem. I haven't been able to exploit it the way you could in vanilla MC2.

For anyone who's curious, mechs in vanilla MC2 would lock onto the first enemy they saw and pursue it until it died. This meant that you could kite a whole lance of assaults with a light mech while your assaults pounded them from close range. In MC Omnitech they disengage once the light gets out of the range of their longest range weapon and turn to something else.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
I like MC Omnitech but sometimes going to a waypoint won't trigger the objective correctly and you can't finish the mission. anyone know of a fix?

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

New event, lasts until the 20th. No great prizes but it's super easy.

quote:

Complete at least one of the two options below for the prize of Plush Bear, Locket hanging item, and 500,000 C-Bills

Play 15 Group Matches total within the Event duration (Minimum match score of 60. Any mode except private match)

- OR -

Play 1 Group Match per day for each day of the event. (Minimum match score of 60. Any mode except private match)

quote:

Complete at least one of the two options below for the prize of Sparkling Wine Bottle, Hanging Lantern, and 500,000 C-Bills

Play as a Light or Medium 'Mech and achieve 100 'Protected Light/Medium' match actions

- OR -

Play as a Light or Medium 'Mech and achieve 5 'Protected Light/Medium' match actions per day for each day of the event.

quote:

Personal Challenge

3 Victories in Quick Play, each with a Match Score over 80 -> 3 Days Active Premium Time
5 Kills Most Damage Dealt -> Broken Heart Decal and 100,000 C-Bills
20 Kill Assists -> 5 C-Bill Consumable Item Packs
2,000 DMG -> 2 Supply Caches
2,000 Match Score -> 2 Supply Keys
2,000,000 C-Bills -> Full Heart Decal and 250,000 C-Bills
5,000 XP -> 1000 GXP

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Pattonesque posted:

I like MC Omnitech but sometimes going to a waypoint won't trigger the objective correctly and you can't finish the mission. anyone know of a fix?

I haven't had that happen in at least the past two years. It's maintained pretty regularly, maybe they fixed it?

By the way, there's also a port of the campaign from vanilla MC2 for MC:O if anyone really misses that.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/mechcommander-omnitech/downloads/carver-v-campaign

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)

Q_res posted:

Goes up on/after the 15th of this month.

I thought it goes up on the day of Beta release, which means March 15?

E: No, you're right, February 15th, the costs go up. More probably for pre-ordering reasons than backing.

Sky Shadowing fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Feb 11, 2017

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

PSA: Marik violet color on sale until feb 20.

Also two of the best decals: Lips and Heart.

Load up while you can. Broken heart and one of the shields(or a banner, I think) stacks nicely if you want to make dongs.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

I think the LBX20 Adder has taken the "my favorite mech" throne from the Urbie...

ThirdLight
Jun 7, 2003
Gotta ask, Stalker for large laser boating, or Marauder for 4 er ppc sniping? They on sale right now and I dont wanna keep saving for timber wolf and i want something long range finally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

ThirdLight posted:

Gotta ask, Stalker for large laser boating, or Marauder for 4 er ppc sniping? They on sale right now and I dont wanna keep saving for timber wolf and i want something long range finally.

Between the two builds you suggested, the Stalker is far more reliable and good. Stalkers are also pretty versatile.

• Locked thread