Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem
they really should have taken their daughters name more seriously

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
i dont think i ever paid more than 50 rmb for a bottle of baijiu in china

i kinda wish i'd shelled out for the good stuff when I was there, but its baijiu, there is no 'good stuff'

except lao guilin baijiu, that poo poo was legit delicious

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

What's the stuff in a glass bottle with the dragon inside? I would actually voluntarily drink that again

E:

simplefish fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Feb 10, 2017

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug
There's a baijiu called Longjiang Long that I love. A solid Baijiu that doesn't give you a headache right away.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
I couldnt drink baijiu without getting ill for quite a while after stupidly mixing it with chinese muscle relaxants at a party once.

But my near death ptsd wore off and I can enjoy it again.

True fact: my first year in china one of my friends was an american girl who loved baijiu, she'd drink coffee cups of it whenever we partied.

Few years after she went back to the states, when I was also out of China, she decided to go back, and died of a respiratory infection in the Renmin Hospital within a month.

:rip: evelyn

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
Did she end up needing a blood transfusion before she took the ultimate Plunge?

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible

Haier posted:

Since it is Mainland China, the easiest explanation is it a Face-saving excuse for the fact that they were trying to murder their kid and failed. It didn't work, so they shifted the blame onto the product.

Father wanted a son instead of a daughter, Mother found the evidence on the floor (because he half-assed it) and confronted him, then rushed the child to the hospital and had to make up the story to save face

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?

simplefish posted:

What's the stuff in a glass bottle with the dragon inside? I would actually voluntarily drink that again

E:
LOL, four hundo and change? The bottle I shared with you guys at the HK goonmeet can be yours for the princely sum of 298 kuai at Carrefour!

big time bisexual
Oct 16, 2002

Cool Party

Ceciltron posted:

There's a baijiu called Longjiang Long that I love. A solid Baijiu that doesn't give you a headache right away.

You got to be specific since Longjiang Long has a few different lines of baijiu. Which one of these does not lead to an instant headache?

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Tupperwarez posted:

LOL, four hundo and change? The bottle I shared with you guys at the HK goonmeet can be yours for the princely sum of 298 kuai at Carrefour!

Not my photo, and yeah the one you brought. Do you remember what it was called?

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?

simplefish posted:

Not my photo, and yeah the one you brought. Do you remember what it was called?
I don't remember the name, unfortunately. That bottle was actually a CNY gift from one of our partner factories. All I remember is that it was some kind of maotai, and that I saw a giant stack of it on sale at the Carrefour in DongCheng.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

Haier posted:

Since it is Mainland China, the easiest explanation is it a Face-saving excuse for the fact that they were trying to murder their kid and failed. It didn't work, so they shifted the blame onto the product.

DNA mutations steadily increased until the Hunan Centipede as born!

EDIT: Was it the Hunan or the Henan Centipede?

I would say that the majority of the loonies, butthurts, cry babies, and mood-swingers I meet (and are in my stories) are all from Hunan. They represent the biggest portion of my Chinese women experiences, of which nearly every single one turned out bad with them. Maybe it's the local culture there promoting the immaturity and insanity that comes with them, but now I immediately run away if someone tells me they are from Hunan. Had I had this knowledge before, I would have had a much smoother time dating in China. It's also why I don't have much updates in that category, because since abandoning Hunan people I have had a normal time. That last Hunan person was that girl a few pages back with the chatting addiction.

It was the Hunan Centipede

Mao was born in Hunan. Q.E.D.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Devils Affricate posted:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/peoplesdaily/article-4199708/Parents-fed-280-expandable-water-balls-daughter.html

I'm actually willing to look past the buffoonery of these people feeding their child plastic, since these things actually do look a lot like candy. But why the gently caress would you even buy a bottle of what you think is candy and then sit there feeding your little kid [i[the whole loving thing[/i] in one sitting?

Also I'm kind of concerned about the action the doctor took. He just gave the kid a laxative in the hope that they pass through quickly, but given that these things are extremely water absorbent, they could cause serious dehydration.

I'm rather impressed. They took their daughter who they made ill to a doctor and got an actual cure instead of TCM. Considering what else is going on in this thread that's gotta be an A+.

Imperialist Dog
Oct 21, 2008

"I think you could better spend your time on finishing your editing before the deadline today."
\
:backtowork:
Can someone please post the screengrab of a chatlog where the Chinese students in a group are talking about how they will cheat for an assignment, then the English-speaker asks what's going on and they brush him off with "oh we are just talking about how to divide the work" or something?

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

I'm confused why a 3 year old would keep eating something that didn't taste good.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
Sometimes toddlers eat stuff that they find under the couch.

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.
Even in the very best case that guy sat down and fed his baby over 200 candies in a single sitting. I wonder what he was planning for dinner.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Dravs posted:

Even in the very best case that guy sat down and fed his baby over 200 candies in a single sitting. I wonder what he was planning for dinner.

"Well if you knew my wife's cooking like I do... even in the end I'd say the kid dodged a bullet there, ahyuk hyuk!"

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants
What are the "water-adsorbing" balls actually for?

Where is that video of the restaurant owners using "edible" fillers to make fake won-tons?

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Plants and poo poo

I think they're sold in the US as Magic Water Beads

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT SPHERICAL CATS
=3

hakimashou posted:

I couldnt drink baijiu without getting ill for quite a while after stupidly mixing it with chinese muscle relaxants at a party once.

But my near death ptsd wore off and I can enjoy it again.

True fact: my first year in china one of my friends was an american girl who loved baijiu, she'd drink coffee cups of it whenever we partied.

Few years after she went back to the states, when I was also out of China, she decided to go back, and died of a respiratory infection in the Renmin Hospital within a month.

:rip: evelyn
coincidentally she had signed herself up for Organ Donation a week before kicking the bucket

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

JaucheCharly posted:

Sometimes toddlers eat stuff that they find under the couch.

Toddlers yes*, but three-year-olds are picky as hell. Source: I'm a preschool teacher.

*Sometimes -> always

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

hakimashou posted:

i dont think i ever paid more than 50 rmb for a bottle of baijiu in china

i kinda wish i'd shelled out for the good stuff when I was there, but its baijiu, there is no 'good stuff'

except lao guilin baijiu, that poo poo was legit delicious

i have a bottle of Wuliangye baijiu at home and that poo poo is delicious.

big time bisexual
Oct 16, 2002

Cool Party

Imperialist Dog posted:

Can someone please post the screengrab of a chatlog where the Chinese students in a group are talking about how they will cheat for an assignment, then the English-speaker asks what's going on and they brush him off with "oh we are just talking about how to divide the work" or something?

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax
I'm in my room after eating dinner, listening to the constant blaring of traffic horns by idiotic drivers outside (I'm on the corner of an intersection), when I hear a loud and long SCREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEECHHH of a bus honking and slamming on the breaks, follow by an even louder and longer CRASH with the sound of metal crumpling and things breaking. Just by the sound alone I don't think whoever got hit survived that.
The sound of many neighbors immediately opening their doors to go kanrenao from the walkway was heard afterwards. I tried to have a look, but it was blocked by one side of the building. Now the new sounds are more horns honking as traffic builds up trying to go around the mess.

RIP

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Imperialist Dog posted:

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/blogs/a...cc826f1fb49b061

"Report for the end of the month. What does everybody think? Should we get a ghost writer? Tell the lao wai (rude word for foreigner) that we did it ourselves. Fifteen hundred words should be about two to three hundred bucks. A few tens of bucks each." "No problem" "I know you're OK*:) happy" “Worried it'll be badly written" "I reckon it'd be written better than we could" "Ha. I'll ask the ghost writer if he can do it" "You're brilliant!" "Says he can. Basic is three hundred and thirty which would get us 60 to 70 mark, eighty max" At this point the person addressed above in racist terms asks if he can be told what they're saying etc etc etc "He says we can choose a guaranteed "C" for four hunded and thirty bucks. If we don't get a "C" he'll give us back one hundred"

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/blogs/a...cc826f1fb49b061

"Report for the end of the month. What does everybody think? Should we get a ghost writer? Tell the lao wai (rude word for foreigner) that we did it ourselves. Fifteen hundred words should be about two to three hundred bucks. A few tens of bucks each." "No problem" "I know you're OK*:) happy" “Worried it'll be badly written" "I reckon it'd be written better than we could" "Ha. I'll ask the ghost writer if he can do it" "You're brilliant!" "Says he can. Basic is three hundred and thirty which would get us 60 to 70 mark, eighty max" At this point the person addressed above in racist terms asks if he can be told what they're saying etc etc etc "He says we can choose a guaranteed "C" for four hunded and thirty bucks. If we don't get a "C" he'll give us back one hundred"

It's not a bad con. I mean I've seen it happen at my university. Then the above students have to take an oral exam.

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

The anecdotal stories reader of comments are just as aggravating.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Automatic Slim posted:

The anecdotal stories reader of comments are just as aggravating.

It's all true, trust me.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

This is when I go to my friends in the Chinese department to get a translation.

My guess is that even if reported nothing will happen because the university doesn't want to lose those sweet, sweet international tuition dollars.

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants
Gotta love how no matter where they go, we're all still laowai to them.

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax
I like how Mainlanders call everyone "foreigner" when they are out of China, even for long periods, because they never had (and never will have) any sort of education or training to teach them that there are other people on the planet and they (the "foreigners") are allowed to exist as they are, where they are. It's all part of the dehumanization they are forced to learn in school and social life, with the "We Chinese" bullshit instilled in them, despite also hating the gently caress out of the "We Chinese" that they have no other choice but to be around and cling to for everything. It's as symbiotic as cancer, yet We Chinese...

Edit: LOL, beaten.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
While I don't think 'Johnny Foreigner' is a uniquely E-Asian idea they certainly seem to have even less self-awareness about the whole thing than the usual suspects.

The closest I can think of, that isn't actually malicious though is when yanks call black people that ain't American "African-Americans".

Ganguro King
Jul 26, 2007

Do Chinese also call other asians "laowai"? Or is it like the Thai word "farang" where it mostly just applies to white people?

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Deceitful Penguin posted:

While I don't think 'Johnny Foreigner' is a uniquely E-Asian idea they certainly seem to have even less self-awareness about the whole thing than the usual suspects.

The closest I can think of, that isn't actually malicious though is when yanks call black people that ain't American "African-Americans".

I occasionally hear idiots use "American" to mean white, as in "Dude that Asian chick at the party last night was sooo hot. Her American friend was pretty cute too."

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Korea is weird to me because it is like Japan but I can't read anything and instead of being polite to the point of shyness a noticeable number of them are rationally crazy.

Example: I went one station the wrong way on the metro so got stuck at geomon, the ATM doesn't want to give me money so I whip out my Visa card and try to get a ride share to incehon international. They say no even after a blasting from some helpful people. So I take the next black taxi.

He is very happy to see me. The first sign of trouble is when before he is even out of the rack he is blasting the horn at the guys in front while winding down his window shouting what I assume was insults for being a slow as bitch.

The moment he gets free he floors it and starts the meter. He is the master of the local non-roads as he heads down dirt roads and tunnels barely large enough for the car.

His cruising speed is 140kph topping out at around 160 or 170. He is blowing pass everyone and runs lights, ignores lanes, drives on the shoulder for no reason.

All this while receiving messages and chatting over some sort of party line.

He meets his promise of getting me a cheap fare by driving like he is in a video game which basically was a 25% discount over the slower drivers.

Initially I was thinking drat this is happening and I can't stop it now as the needle climbs. This quickly passes as the thrill kicks in. We hold some short conversations and he pretty much says he doesn't know what most of the flashing warning type lights were.

We get to the terminal and I tell him that he is a powerful driver which he understands completely which will no doubt increase his behaviour. He shakes my hand for the generous praise I gave him and that was that.

Oh, he wasn't wearing a seatbelt but given the speeds I am certain that it wouldn't have made a difference or either of us. You could definitely tell his car was well maintained given its handling as such high speeds.

All this was because I couldn't enjoy Itaewon and a missed train. I didn't even have to get back that early as it is still 8 hours away from having to take any action to board my flight to Hong Kong.

I don't believe in god(s) but god speed you crazy diamond.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

oohhboy posted:

Korea is weird to me because it is like Japan but I can't read anything and instead of being polite to the point of shyness a noticeable number of them are rationally crazy.

Example: I went one station the wrong way on the metro so got stuck at geomon, the ATM doesn't want to give me money so I whip out my Visa card and try to get a ride share to incehon international. They say no even after a blasting from some helpful people. So I take the next black taxi.

He is very happy to see me. The first sign of trouble is when before he is even out of the rack he is blasting the horn at the guys in front while winding down his window shouting what I assume was insults for being a slow as bitch.

The moment he gets free he floors it and starts the meter. He is the master of the local non-roads as he heads down dirt roads and tunnels barely large enough for the car.

His cruising speed is 140kph topping out at around 160 or 170. He is blowing pass everyone and runs lights, ignores lanes, drives on the shoulder for no reason.

He meets his promise of getting me a cheap fare by driving like he is in a video game which basically was a 25% discount over the slower drivers.

Initially I was thinking drat this is happening and I can't stop it now as the needle climbs. This quickly passes as the thrill kicks in. We hold some short conversations and he pretty much says he doesn't know what most of the flashing warning type lights were.

We get to the terminal and I tell him that he is a powerful driver which he understands completely which will no doubt increase his behaviour. He shakes my hand for the generous praise I gave him and that was that.

Oh, he wasn't wearing a seatbelt but given the speeds I am certain that it wouldn't have made a difference or either of us. You could definitely tell his car was well maintained given its handling as such high speeds.

All this was because I couldn't enjoy Itaewon and a missed train. I didn't even have to get back that early as it is still 8 hours away from having to take any action to board my flight to Hong Kong.

Man, I really enjoy those Korea stories.

E_P
Feb 22, 2003

I came to terms with waygook and laowai when I stopped defining it as a label (foreigner) and instead defined it as a non inclusive grouping term (not east Asian/korean/han). When you grow up in a 99.99% homogeneous country and all you see is people of the same ethnicity for 18, 25, 40+ years it probably becomes hard to break the habit of pointing out something that is normally a surprise (seeing a nonchinese in the average town in China.)

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

oohhboy posted:

That's a pretty normal taxi ride in Seoul. Just kick back and relax, because there isn't anything you can do anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Don't get me wrong, the other taxis are speeding jus that is guy took it to another level. I did enjoy it after the initial surprise.

I also watch operation cromite which has Liam Neeson playing mac Arthur revolving around the plan to invade incheon but he needs the mine locations and a way navigate in close proximity.

It's the Korean equivalent of killing all communist. They rack up an amazing kill count.

The characters are propaganda cut outs taken to the extreme. Mc Arthur some how always has some story about some kid or solider that would "move" him and he would use it shamelessly to get his way.

The rest fall in to the following. Evil commander who likes to abuse everyone and George up the incheon with the executed.

There is handsome leader man.

Dude with kids.

Brother sister pair. Brother pairs.

Totally expendable people.

Endless nooks.

The resistance.

The spy.

Female love interest.

It's pretty watchable if you just take in the absurdity and laugh that the movie is dedicates the real heroes of the operation with none of the respect like saving private Ryan does.

• Locked thread