Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

uncurable mlady posted:

amazon results for fidget cube: 1071 results

lmao

I should buy the cheapest one and put it on my desk and see who gets upset

e: did it, spent less than $4

minivanmegafun fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Feb 8, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

uncurable mlady posted:

amazon results for fidget cube: 1071 results

lmao
by 2019 it is estimated that 38% of global gdp will be fidget cube related

Ator
Oct 1, 2005

but do the fidget cubes connect to the internet?

people want online fidget leaderboards and poo poo

fidgetcube-based social media sites

dating sites for people with similar fidget habits to find each other and connect

cyberfidget

Ator
Oct 1, 2005

combine internet-enabled fidget cube with teledildonics

one nerd's obsessive habit is another nerd's pleasure

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

welcome to fidgt, the fidget cube based hookup app.

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

fidg.it a fidg this then that for repetitive stress

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

Sagebrush posted:

it's a neat little pointless thing. all of the parts "work" fine. i wish everything inside was hooked up to a microcontroller so you could use it as a bizarre cyberpunk input device.

e: realistically, the more i look at this the more i think there's probably space to fit all the electronics you'd need for at least half the "controls". put in like a 60mAh battery and an ultra-low-power uC and an NRF24 radio chip and you could do it. it'd be a squeeze, but I think it's possible.

set up a kickstarter for it, then cancel the project in a huff when the first chinese knockoff beats you to market. then buy the knockoff.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Sagebrush posted:

e: realistically, the more i look at this the more i think there's probably space to fit all the electronics you'd need for at least half the "controls". put in like a 60mAh battery and an ultra-low-power uC and an NRF24 radio chip and you could do it. it'd be a squeeze, but I think it's possible.

can't wait for someone to kickstart the "smart fidget cube" and get slaughtered when assembly is several multiples of the BOM cost

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Dixie Cretin Seaman posted:

set up a kickstarter for it, then cancel the project in a huff when the first chinese knockoff beats you to market. then buy the knockoff.

yea this

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
p deece 6 fidgies

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

Silver Alicorn posted:

p deece 6 fidgies

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Silver Alicorn posted:

p deece 6 fidgies

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
https://twitter.com/TalesOfGames/status/829525126676770816

Meat Beat Agent
Aug 5, 2007

felonious assault with a sproinging boner
2001: a gun's odyssey

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
one day i will play barkley

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Improbable Lobster posted:

one day i will play barkley
barkley 1 is good and you can play it right now

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

Meat Beat Agent posted:

2001: a gun's odyssey

two thousand and gun

evilcat
May 16, 2009
What do kickstarter turntables need? One that holds the lightweight record still and spins the entire player around it while maintaining a constant speed, proper tracking, bluetooth and phone control.
What else does it do? Well:

quote:

LOVE turns counterclockwise on a still record. It can be controlled by a smartphone to play records, skip and repeat tracks, alter the volume, and even select different RPM speeds. It is Bluetooth and Wi-Fi compatible.

quote:

LOVE maintains the intimacy of vinyl and the organic, natural melodies specific to analog sound that we all love.
It's a wireless turntable that only outputs digital over bluetooth or wifi, with the first being well known for the quality of audio over it. Not only that, but it maintains the crackles and pops inherent by apparently adding them into the audio output.
Luckily the audiophile quality they're using is just 44kHz 16 bit, not even what DVDs can do. So for those into music, you can turn your vinyl into cd audio, have crackles inserted in, stream it over bluetooth to speakers and then have to pry the thing open when the battery dies mid record, assuming the electronic tracking and weight this will probably apply doesn't eat through the records first.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

evilcat posted:

What do kickstarter turntables need? One that holds the lightweight record still and spins the entire player around it while maintaining a constant speed, proper tracking, bluetooth and phone control.

It's a wireless turntable that only outputs digital over bluetooth or wifi, with the first being well known for the quality of audio over it. Not only that, but it maintains the crackles and pops inherent by apparently adding them into the audio output.
Luckily the audiophile quality they're using is just 44kHz 16 bit, not even what DVDs can do. So for those into music, you can turn your vinyl into cd audio, have crackles inserted in, stream it over bluetooth to speakers and then have to pry the thing open when the battery dies mid record, assuming the electronic tracking and weight this will probably apply doesn't eat through the records first.

im not seeing anything that says it adds extra crackles or pops in, just that it doesn't filter them out

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
I remember an interview with a guy who back in the 70's was going to enter a Popular Mechanics april fool's contest where the most plausible (but fake) product got like a $500 prize or something.

He designed up a turntable where the arm was on a linear guide for better fidelity, no change of angle, 100% better bullshit etc.

He said he was literally opening the mail slot to deposit the envelope with his entry and stopped before dropping it in, because he thought "poo poo, it's a lot of money and I really should go that extra mile". He figured he'd call up some record stores and pitch it. If he fooled them, he was confident he had a winner.

Well he called a bunch of places up and not only did they believe it was real, they were excited about it and wanted to buy them. He hung up the phone after an afternoon of calling around and figured, "Well poo poo, I better just build the drat things."

And he did :drum:

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

evilcat posted:

this has the stench of behar on it

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

exploded mummy posted:

this has the stench of behar on it
his name, too

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

anthonypants posted:

his name, too

lol i didnt even scroll down that far

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Mister Sinewave posted:

I remember an interview with a guy who back in the 70's was going to enter a Popular Mechanics april fool's contest where the most plausible (but fake) product got like a $500 prize or something.

He designed up a turntable where the arm was on a linear guide for better fidelity, no change of angle, 100% better bullshit etc.

He said he was literally opening the mail slot to deposit the envelope with his entry and stopped before dropping it in, because he thought "poo poo, it's a lot of money and I really should go that extra mile". He figured he'd call up some record stores and pitch it. If he fooled them, he was confident he had a winner.

Well he called a bunch of places up and not only did they believe it was real, they were excited about it and wanted to buy them. He hung up the phone after an afternoon of calling around and figured, "Well poo poo, I better just build the drat things."

And he did :drum:

that mans a hero

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

His name? Albert Einstein. (no really if you can recall anything else about it it'd be great, I'm not having much luck with google)

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Okay how about an apple watch?

Meh.

...for gamers.

*gets funded instantly*

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/717828519/gameband-the-first-smartwatch-for-gamers/

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

i'm the ugly leather in first-gen zune brown with first-gen zune green stitching

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

i'm the lint between the screen and body. actually i was always this, even before this kickstarter

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Synthbuttrange posted:

His name? Albert Einstein. (no really if you can recall anything else about it it'd be great, I'm not having much luck with google)

I can't find mention of the interview you mentioned but Woody Norris seems to be the person who claims to be the inventor of the linear tracking tone-arm.

Unfortunately if he was the one in the interview you are remembering, he is also one of those "serial inventor/entrepreneur" types and it is a good idea to ignore their stories about how they came up with their ideas because they are almost invariably extremely loose with the truth in order to make the story fit their desired image. normally it is one of the following: "I just came up with it while not trying and it turned out to be an amazing idea, it happens all the time because I'm so smart", "everyone else didn't even know there was a problem but I am so smart I just recognized the solution when I saw it", and "oh it was just something I was fiddling with on the side to keep my smartness smartly smarting while I was working on bigger smart things".

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

evilcat posted:

how did they manage to make the thing that actually looked absolutely beautiful in my mind that ugly and impractical?

i am sort of charmed by the idea of making a record player where you can basically put the record down anywhere on a pedestal, and an articulated arm plays it while it stays still. well, or even reading it optically and having no moving parts. all in all a lot of room to make something that looks actually striking (and the entire point of vinyl is of course the style)

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Shifty Pony posted:

I can't find mention of the interview you mentioned but Woody Norris seems to be the person who claims to be the inventor of the linear tracking tone-arm.

Unfortunately if he was the one in the interview you are remembering, he is also one of those "serial inventor/entrepreneur" types and it is a good idea to ignore their stories about how they came up with their ideas because they are almost invariably extremely loose with the truth in order to make the story fit their desired image. normally it is one of the following: "I just came up with it while not trying and it turned out to be an amazing idea, it happens all the time because I'm so smart", "everyone else didn't even know there was a problem but I am so smart I just recognized the solution when I saw it", and "oh it was just something I was fiddling with on the side to keep my smartness smartly smarting while I was working on bigger smart things".

Yes it was Woody Norris (I knew it was Woody something, looked it up.)

He does tell a good story but he does also sound legit bright and capable because he does have a number of successful products under his belt.

It's kind of like what you said but one thing I remember him saying was a sort-of self-depracating/bragging thing about he tends to get carried away and overpromise then is stuck actually having to deliver. Also a good story though.

His advice to other inventors was great. Paraphrasing but it was basically "stop worrying that someone will steal your idea and just loving get your patent (if applicable) and just make it already."

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

well, or even reading it optically and having no moving parts. all in all a lot of room to make something that looks actually striking (and the entire point of vinyl is of course the style)

that way it could detect if the record's sound had any malignant frequencies that would shake apart the player and it could defensively re-configure itself to have different harmonics

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

evilcat posted:

don't stop, i'm almost there

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

well, or even reading it optically and having no moving parts. all in all a lot of room to make something that looks actually striking (and the entire point of vinyl is of course the style)

optical record players exist but the mechanisms involved are surprisingly complex.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Shifty Pony posted:

optical record players exist but the mechanisms involved are surprisingly complex.

i heard they're finally making them such that they work on picture discs and odd colored discs in general tho

Tanith
Jul 17, 2005

Alpha, Beta, Gamma cores
Use them, lose them, salvage more
Kick off the next AI war
In the Persean Sector

quote:

Behar has four children; Sky (born 2007) from a prior relationship and Sylver (born 2011), Soleyl (born 2014), and Saylor (born 2016) with his fiancee Sabrina Buell.[39] His children both have the letter Y in their name to honor his father, Henry.

Synker, Saylor, Soldyer, Spy.

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

evilcat posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=abUcpCtMke0

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

:aaa:

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
loving lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

fishmech posted:

i heard they're finally making them such that they work on picture discs and odd colored discs in general tho

did they solve the dust problem yet?

• Locked thread