Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

Ak Gara posted:

That seems really inefficient, especially as I have 6951 tesseracts.

[edit] 8400. I'm wondering if I should use some of those mekanism's Universal pipes to flow everything to fewer tesseracts.

Jesus christ, can you show a screenshot of what this exactly does?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

I hope he's using them as contiguous pipe or building material

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

Anias posted:

I hope he's using them as contiguous pipe or building material
"Why, you ask? I say, WHY NOT!"

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

CrazyTolradi posted:

IIRC Minecraft still renders blocks in your FOV/draw distance even if you can't actually see them on the screen.

If you're in 1.10 there's occlusion culling*. I can't imagine why you could possibly need thousands of tesseracts, the whole point of them is that you can consolidate everything really easily with a handful of them.

*I have no idea if TESR (which the tesseract is, I believe) get culled

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

Taffer posted:

If you're in 1.10 there's occlusion culling*. I can't imagine why you could possibly need thousands of tesseracts, the whole point of them is that you can consolidate everything really easily with a handful of them.

*I have no idea if TESR (which the tesseract is, I believe) get culled
Yeah, it's not a problem anymore but since TE hasn't come out yet for 1.10.2 (unless I've slept for a few months somehow), I figured that'd be a big part if the issue.

Still, yeah, wtf can you possibly even need that many tesseracts for?

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9JPF3pn5O4&t=190s

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

I see my trust in ridiculous goonproject was not misplaced.

Walk us through it, how did you decide that this rabbit hole was your goon well?

Pi In The Sky
Dec 31, 2015

:eyepop:

Anias posted:

Walk us through it, how did you decide that this rabbit hole was your goon well?

Yes, please.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

I wanted to see if I could make a workshop that was able to handle the output of 5x5 chunks of two layers of MFR Mining Lasers + Mekanism's x4 ore processing.

Ak Gara fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Feb 10, 2017

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Ak Gara posted:

I wanted to see if I could make a workshop that was able to handle the output of 5x5 chunks of two layers of MFR Mining Lasers + Mekanism's x4 ore processing.

I want to see if I am able to build a computer that could even run your save.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

If you stare at this long enough it becomes a magic eye puzzle in which lies the face of god

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
I don't even know what that is. Is that a mekanism reactor? I thought those were spherical.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

Are there any 1.10 mods that let you change the biome of an area? I liked the Regrowth "wasteland -> lush forest" idea.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

Goon Danton posted:

Are there any 1.10 mods that let you change the biome of an area? I liked the Regrowth "wasteland -> lush forest" idea.

I think this does?
https://ftbwiki.org/Terraformer_(IndustrialCraft_2)

McFrugal posted:

I don't even know what that is. Is that a mekanism reactor? I thought those were spherical.

25 chunks of MFR Mining lasers. I've since replaced the tesseracts with AE's Interface + Quantum Bridge.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Ak Gara posted:

25 chunks of MFR Mining lasers. I've since replaced the tesseracts with AE's Interface + Quantum Bridge.

What? Those aren't Laser Drills. Those require prechargers, so you can't just slap them in a solid block like that. Also they require a clear shot to bedrock.

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

I haven't played this dumb game in years, I see trees in vanilla still float when you cut them from the bottom up. Any good quality of life mods around that don't add a fuckton of complicated stuff and/or make non-supercomputers grind to a halt? How are mods even installed these days? The Technic launcher doesn't really seem to be maintained anymore.

Woebin fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Feb 11, 2017

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009
Are there any modpacks which just include basic quality of life improvements, like inventory sorting, treecapitator, and stuff like that? I don't want something that clutters up the world with things I don't want to mess with.

Barring that, something that lets me get most things through peaceful mode, while perhaps keeping farming relevant, would be nice.
Other interests would be like, what if hostile mobs only appeared underground? or perhaps something that would provide a guide to doing stuff in minecraft. I know there is A wiki, But It would be really nice if there was something built like an online guide or a guide ingame for it. wouldn't even mind some mods that basically guided you on building a house, and stuff like that. I kind of like to avoid weird grinding things, because I feel like that gets too close to clicker games, which I try really hard to avoid.

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009

Woebin posted:

I haven't played this dumb game in years, I see trees in vanilla still float when you cut them from the bottom up. Any good quality of life mods around that don't add a fuckton of complicated stuff and/or make non-supercomputers grind to a halt? How are mods even installed these days?The Technic launcher doesn't really seem to be maintained anymore.

Or what this guy said. I guess that I just got ninja'd for the first time.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I'd say the basic QoL pack would probably start with:

- Veinminer: This'll let you take out a whole string of blocks (like trees) with one "mine"
- NotEnoughItems or JustEnoughItems, depending on your Minecraft version. This lets you look up the recipes or uses for everything in the game.
- The One Probe (or WAWLA if you're pre-1.9): Shows you info on the block you're looking at.
- Inventory Tweaks: Inventory and box sorting, autoreplaces broken tools
- JourneyMap

Khorne
May 1, 2002

thechosenone posted:

Or what this guy said. I guess that I just got ninja'd for the first time.
Extra Utilities has a Peaceful Table which will spawn+kill mobs on peaceful mode.

In my opinion, just grab a popular mod pack and play. The only real down side to mod packs, provided you have a decent computer, is the client takes a few minutes to load. Once it loads you should get 90-144 fps at all times unless you do something dumb later on while building lots of stuff.

Unmodded, vanilla is just fine too if you want that experience instead.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Woebin posted:

I haven't played this dumb game in years, I see trees in vanilla still float when you cut them from the bottom up. Any good quality of life mods around that don't add a fuckton of complicated stuff and/or make non-supercomputers grind to a halt? How are mods even installed these days?The Technic launcher doesn't really seem to be maintained anymore.

It's still maintained. As usual though it's a mash, you have to know of a good modpack on it.

Off the top of my head, a list of basic QoL stuff and simple fun mods:

JEI
Chisel and bits
Chisel
AppleCore
AppleSkin
Harvestcraft
Cooking For Blockheads
Fast Leaf Decay
Veinminer (will work on trees similar to treecapitator)
Iron Backpacks
InvTweaks
Iron Chests
Quark
Storage Drawers
Rougelike Dungeons
Recurrent Complex
The One Probe

None of those will change gameplay in a huge way, but they'll add little nifty pretty/useful things that make the game more interesting.

If you want some nice gameplay mods that don't get super grindy, check out things like botania and applied energistics

You can easily roll a pack together yourself if you use MultiMC. It lets you 1 click install forge, then you just throw any mods inside the "mods" folder. Most mods won't have any conflicts, I doubt you'll have any problems with the list above. To download them, search on this site: https://minecraft.curseforge.com/

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy
Someone who's been out of the game for a long while should definitely pick up Blightfall on Technic.

:getin:

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

if y'all do go for blightfall be careful with the cooking for blockheads stuff

using the scrollwheel on the items in the cooking table counts as a request to craft

[ASK] me about my 23 boiled eggs :douche:

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

Man, I really hope there are non-ic2 options. Thanks though. It's good to know it's possible at least.

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

Thanks for the guidance! It seems to be hell to get poo poo working together what with different version requirements and all, I don't think I'm invested enough to jump through those hoops. What are the recommended install-and-go modpacks these days? Blightfall sounds like challenge mode but I mostly play Minecraft to relax, find neat stuff and build poo poo. Roguelike Dungeons and Recurrent Complex sounded cool though.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Project Ozone 2 question: how do I recharge Flux-Infused hammers? I got one in a loot chest but it's not an infinite tool like the crook.

Halibut Barn
May 30, 2005

help

Evil Mastermind posted:

Project Ozone 2 question: how do I recharge Flux-Infused hammers? I got one in a loot chest but it's not an infinite tool like the crook.

The best way is to build a Wireless Charger (from EnderIO I think), hook it to your power network, and it'll keep everything you carry charged automatically.

Otherwise, if you have any capacitor banks storing energy, there should be a slot in its UI that you can put items in to transfer charge to them.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Well, considering that I'm only at the "make a smeltery" stage of things, I don't think I'm getting that stuff anytime soon. Ah well...at least I got it in time to make all the grout I needed.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Goon Danton posted:

Man, I really hope there are non-ic2 options. Thanks though. It's good to know it's possible at least.

the IC2 terraformer, last I checked, does not actually change the biome, it can freeze water and put snow everywhere like a snow biome, it can make it rain non-stop, it can randomly plant and grow plants, it can convert dirt to sand and burn down vegetation, but it doesn't actually change the biome.

Blood magic, witchery, a thaumcraft add-on (forgot the name), are the only things I know that can actually "change" the biome.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Woebin posted:

Thanks for the guidance! It seems to be hell to get poo poo working together what with different version requirements and all, I don't think I'm invested enough to jump through those hoops. What are the recommended install-and-go modpacks these days? Blightfall sounds like challenge mode but I mostly play Minecraft to relax, find neat stuff and build poo poo. Roguelike Dungeons and Recurrent Complex sounded cool though.

Yeah 1.7.10 and 1.10.2 are the most mature version mod-wise and the newest version people are modding for respectively, so you need to make a choice on which one of those you're interested in playing with and get mods specifically for whatever you pick. If you don't really care much about mods that add/change the game massively, go for 1.10 because it'll currently be the most up-to-date experience as far as a Vanilla experience goes.

SkyFactory 3 and Farming Valley are the only 1.10 pre-packaged packs that I'm aware of though, and they're.. pretty big changes from vanilla Minecraft. You -may- want to get the Curse Voice client, which took over the Feed The Beast client/modpack listing. It's got a pretty easy-to-search list of packs people have made for it, and you might find something you want without having to mess around with MultiMC assembling it yourself.

SugarAddict posted:

Blood magic, witchery, a thaumcraft add-on (forgot the name), are the only things I know that can actually "change" the biome.

Witching Gadgets from Thaumcraft. I didn't know Blood Magic could do that though.

Black Pants fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Feb 11, 2017

NiftyBottle
Jan 1, 2009

radical
You know what? Give me a few hours and I'll toss a 1.10.2 QOL only pack up on technic for you after lunch. It'll use the versions I've got for my bigger 1.10 pack, notably WAILA instead of The One Probe since we haven't made the jump, but it'll work fine. No quest book stuff though.

Edit: Quick question - I've got a mod that makes villages more common and increases the biomes where they spawn (including very silly ocean villages). Is that of any interest?

NiftyBottle fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Feb 11, 2017

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Evil Mastermind posted:

What do you need a fancy Hammer for? I am doing Project Ozone 2 as well (I'm around the same stage as you) and I have been subsisting on Stone Hammers. With Vein Miner installed the quality of the Hammers doesn't seem to really matter. :shrug:

BTW I love Vein Miner! Back in my day you had to earn that power with the "super broken" EE2, but now people get it for free lol.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Rutibex posted:

What do you need a fancy Hammer for? I am doing Project Ozone 2 as well (I'm around the same stage as you) and I have been subsisting on Stone Hammers. With Vein Miner installed the quality of the Hammers doesn't seem to really matter. :shrug:
The flux hammer is a lot faster and since it has a "durability" five digits you can single-use hammer multiple stacks of stuff at once.

I mean, it was free in a loot box so I'm not going to get annoyed if I can't keep using it; the biggest thing I really need a lot of hammering for at this point were the grout and the sieving quests.

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

Black Pants posted:

Yeah 1.7.10 and 1.10.2 are the most mature version mod-wise and the newest version people are modding for respectively, so you need to make a choice on which one of those you're interested in playing with and get mods specifically for whatever you pick. If you don't really care much about mods that add/change the game massively, go for 1.10 because it'll currently be the most up-to-date experience as far as a Vanilla experience goes.

SkyFactory 3 and Farming Valley are the only 1.10 pre-packaged packs that I'm aware of though, and they're.. pretty big changes from vanilla Minecraft. You -may- want to get the Curse Voice client, which took over the Feed The Beast client/modpack listing. It's got a pretty easy-to-search list of packs people have made for it, and you might find something you want without having to mess around with MultiMC assembling it yourself.
Yeah, I dove into the Curse client just now and it turns out that makes it really simple to throw a custom pack together. I found most of the stuff Taffer mentioned updated for 1.11.2 there so I'm running with that for now, seems to work pretty well.

NiftyBottle posted:

You know what? Give me a few hours and I'll toss a 1.10.2 QOL only pack up on technic for you after lunch. It'll use the versions I've got for my bigger 1.10 pack, notably WAILA instead of The One Probe since we haven't made the jump, but it'll work fine. No quest book stuff though.

Edit: Quick question - I've got a mod that makes villages more common and increases the biomes where they spawn (including very silly ocean villages). Is that of any interest?
That's really nice of you, but since I managed to get something together that works I'm good. Might be others who want a QoL-only pack though!

As for the second question, personally I think anything that adds more life to the world is cool.

pubic void nullo
May 17, 2002

If you're just interested in "Minecraft Plus" without getting into machinery and magic and so on, make sure you include Quark and have a read over its site. It's already on that list above but it's important.

NiftyBottle
Jan 1, 2009

radical
Well if anyone else is interested, here's a QOL only pack for 1.10.:shrug:

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

NiftyBottle posted:

Well if anyone else is interested, here's a QOL only pack for 1.10.:shrug:

Oh please like anyone uses Technic anymore. :jagoff:

Seriously, though, that's a really good collection there. You might want to throw InventoryTweaks in there too, though.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Project Ozone 2 Update!

I created a mob spawner drop trap. This way I can farm the loot bags and various other items the monsters drop. I watched a lets play where someone used Fans, so I went with those. It made the design of the trap a lot easier than with water! There are iron spikes at the bottom and some more fans to kill and pesky Blazes than come down :twisted: The bottom is lined with Hoppers and a chest, easy peasy!

I cast this portal with lava and stones and water buckets. I do not actually have a reliable source of Obsidian. I have found that the Neather in Project Ozone is not an ice world, it is full of ores! I might set up some sort of automatic mining operation in the nether. Is there a way to load both worlds at once?

My automatic machines so far. The first thing I created was a block breaker to harvest cobblestone automatically. My entire base is build from this machine. The next was an automatic activator with a sifter and some Hoopers. This saved me a lot of time sifting! I later made an "auto-sifter" that is faster than my first (it was a quest requirement). I kept the first one as it still produces some good sift! I also made one of those big Smeltery things and some tool stations. This pack doesn't let you use normal tools, so I had to craft the special ones. The smeltery seems to double my ores too, so that's nice.

I found a magic pair of pants than allow me to sneak in the air. This lets me "fly" in a really slow and crappy way. Quite handy!

My chests are starting to get out of hand. I need to make some sort of sorting system, but I don't know how exactly. I tried to make some items tubes and Barrels but they didn't work right. I am going to have to watch some more tutorials to understand how these new fanged storage systems work.

NiftyBottle
Jan 1, 2009

radical

Evil Mastermind posted:

You might want to throw InventoryTweaks in there too, though.

Whoops :cripes:

It's actually in there now, thanks for letting me know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Rutibex posted:

My chests are starting to get out of hand. I need to make some sort of sorting system, but I don't know how exactly. I tried to make some items tubes and Barrels but they didn't work right. I am going to have to watch some more tutorials to understand how these new fanged storage systems work.

I love when people who haven't played modded in a decade/have never played modded before are so enthusiastic about their learning process that they post about it like this.

Also, dehumanize yourself and face to AE2. :v:

I can't remember if PO2 has Storage Drawers or any of those low-tech sorting solutions but the Big Mother of all storage options is the Applied Energistics 2 'ME system'. It's, uh.. a hell of a thing for people to get their head around the first time. It's well documented and there are a lot of guides, but it's pretty unlike how most other things work in Minecraft.