Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord_Pigeonbane
Nov 24, 2002

Just the ladies, now!

Policenaut posted:

Just finished it, unlocked the Mad Dog style, don't know where I'm going to find that last gold hostess...

Yeah. I've got all the hostesses except the one that you get from the dancing minigame. I don't think that I'll ever get that one.

It bothers me when the club girls talk about money problems, because they won't let me help them out. One of them just said that she needed four million pesos for nursing school. Meanwhile, I'm making more than a hundred million every night, and I'm just eating all that money to make myself stronger. Four million is NOTHING to me. I have so much money because of these girls. Why won't they let me help them out just a little?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Lord_Pigeonbane posted:

Yeah. I've got all the hostesses except the one that you get from the dancing minigame. I don't think that I'll ever get that one.

It bothers me when the club girls talk about money problems, because they won't let me help them out. One of them just said that she needed four million pesos for nursing school. Meanwhile, I'm making more than a hundred million every night, and I'm just eating all that money to make myself stronger. Four million is NOTHING to me. I have so much money because of these girls. Why won't they let me help them out just a little?

All the money you make is magical money that gets absorbed right into your body. It's the only way for the plot to explain a BIG DRAMATIC MOMENT of "One BILLION yen" when Kiryu is carrying like 10 times that at any given reason

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Policenaut posted:

Just finished it, unlocked the Mad Dog style, don't know where I'm going to find that last gold hostess...

One comes from a Ch8 side mission.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

ImpAtom posted:

All the money you make is magical money that gets absorbed right into your body. It's the only way for the plot to explain a BIG DRAMATIC MOMENT of "One BILLION yen" when Kiryu is carrying like 10 times that at any given reason

I liked how literally the only person in the game who explicitly says "Oh, it's just play money flying out when you hit things" is Tatsuane.

I've only got the breakdancing battles left for Majima normal style training wise, and I'm figuring the main dude in the red track suit will be my loving archnemesis because he will always do the helicopter spin from off the ground and interrupt the gently caress out of me. Even ignoring how often fact the rest love to stand or land an inch outside of where my freeze pose followups will hit.

Look, breakdance leader. If you want that CD boombox you keep talking about, maybe lay off on the rising attacks so I can get those sick combos without you interrupting me every five seconds if i'm in the same timezone as you.

Lord_Pigeonbane
Nov 24, 2002

Just the ladies, now!

ImpAtom posted:

I like to picture these guys acting all shocked during these dramatic moments, while idly munching on fistfuls of cash.

Lord_Pigeonbane
Nov 24, 2002

Just the ladies, now!

Section Z posted:

I liked how literally the only person in the game who explicitly says "Oh, it's just play money flying out when you hit things" is Tatsuane.

I've only got the breakdancing battles left for Majima normal style training wise, and I'm figuring the main dude in the red track suit will be my loving archnemesis because he will always do the helicopter spin from off the ground and interrupt the gently caress out of me. Even ignoring how often fact the rest love to stand or land an inch outside of where my freeze pose followups will hit.

Look, breakdance leader. If you want that CD boombox you keep talking about, maybe lay off on the rising attacks so I can get those sick combos without you interrupting me every five seconds if i'm in the same timezone as you.

Is there a reason to keep doing breakdancing battles? I just completed each one once, and figured that there wasn't anything else to it.

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde
It's not "lettuce" in Japanese too, is it?

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Lord_Pigeonbane posted:

Is there a reason to keep doing breakdancing battles? I just completed each one once, and figured that there wasn't anything else to it.

You don't even have to do that. You can just go through their training without really caring about their battles. I thought it was going to be like Brute training, but nope.

TERRIBLE SHITLORD
Oct 20, 2005

MY NIGGA HAVE
YOU TRIED LSD
Just plowed through the last 6 chapters in one sitting and honestly I didn't enjoy it as much as the wacky sidequests and dense minigames that filled up the midgame. There was just a little too much exposition and a handful of 30 minute speeches in contrast to the 2-3 minute fights and no really cool set pieces to speak of. I still love the game but the story just fell a little flat for me near the end when it got intensely heavy on the politics. Also there's no way I'm pushing for 100% completion, grinding out the real estate and cabaret stuff was enough for me. I can happily retire the game knowing I got a good 90+ hour experience that had me laughing like an idiot one minute and moved deeply the next.

Good poo poo.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I probably shouldn't have started this series with 4, because now Akiyama is basically my Poochy. Everytime he's not involved, I'm wondering where he is and when I will be able to play as him again.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

DrNutt posted:

I probably shouldn't have started this series with 4, because now Akiyama is basically my Poochy. Everytime he's not involved, I'm wondering where he is and when I will be able to play as him again.

Well that's the feeling you should have. Akiyama is an A+ character. Cool as hell, good backstory and motivations and has a sweet fighting style I enjoy.

Edit: My power rankings:

Totally Awesome:
1. Kiryu
2. Majima
3. Akiyama
4. Saejima

Acceptable:
Tanimura

Burning trash heap:
Shinada

8-bit Miniboss fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Feb 10, 2017

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Man, these Cabaret Club substories are a pain in the rear end. I've already finished the entire questline but two girls haven't finished their Special Training so I have to complete a training session then blow some time doing the cabaret club mini-game again before I can train again. The training isn't even helpful because the two remaining girls are like Lv. 20+ at this point so a perfect lesson doesn't even come close to leveling them up. Is there really no way to speed this up? Because I have to play this minigame at least 11 more times to finish these two girls.

JohnnyTreachery
Dec 7, 2000
Start the cabaret minigame and go get a drink. If you only staff one girl you only lose like 100k, and you still get a marginal number of fans in the area.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Policenaut posted:

Which ones do you have? Isobe, Etsuko, Dolly and Unknown are the ones tied to quests/friendship iirc.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
I can't stop playing this cabaret minigame you guys

I've forgotten what the rest of the game is like

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
It' a karaoke sim

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

It's Slot Cars

Lord_Pigeonbane
Nov 24, 2002

Just the ladies, now!
Is there something that I need to do to trigger the cabaret battle with Moon? Do I need to get the last girl? Do I need to just keep building up my number of fans? Right now, I've got four platinum girls at max level, and the last one is lvl 38. I've also maxed out most of my gold girls, and I've started on my silver ones. I figure that I'm ready for the battle, but I don't know how to make it happen.

Edit: Also, I've advanced the story to the next chapter. I don't remember which number I'm on, but right now I'm supposed to go to the grand to meet the guy that murdered a lady for me.

Lord_Pigeonbane fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Feb 10, 2017

FutureFriend
Dec 28, 2011

Lord_Pigeonbane posted:

Is there something that I need to do to trigger the cabaret battle with Moon? Do I need to get the last girl? Do I need to just keep building up my number of fans? Right now, I've got four platinum girls at max level, and the last one is lvl 38. I've also maxed out most of my gold girls, and I've started on my silver ones. I figure that I'm ready for the battle, but I don't know how to make it happen.

im p sure for club moon you have to get 10k fans to trigger the battle, its kind of a long slog and i honestly suggest partnering with some stores there to skip having to do the minigame a couple of times

Lord_Pigeonbane
Nov 24, 2002

Just the ladies, now!

FutureFriend posted:

im p sure for club moon you have to get 10k fans to trigger the battle, its kind of a long slog and i honestly suggest partnering with some stores there to skip having to do the minigame a couple of times

Maybe 100k fans. I've partnered with every store, and I've got more than 60k fans already.

FutureFriend
Dec 28, 2011

Lord_Pigeonbane posted:

Maybe 100k fans. I've partnered with every store, and I've got more than 60k fans already.

did you do the other events like checking out club moon and such? admittedly i did that poo poo post-game so it might also only trigger once uve gone farther in the story?

Lord_Pigeonbane
Nov 24, 2002

Just the ladies, now!

FutureFriend posted:

did you do the other events like checking out club moon and such? admittedly i did that poo poo post-game so it might also only trigger once uve gone farther in the story?

Yeah, I went and hid behind a telephone pole, and all that. I've only advanced the story one chapter after the club became available. I don't want to keep advancing it until I've earned the sweet sweet reward for finishing this. I assume that the last mission will give me Majima's legendary fighting style, and I really want that!

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Lord_Pigeonbane posted:

60k fans in total or in the Club Moon district specifically

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The Cabaret battle is blocked by plot progression. I couldn't access it until Chapter 11 at which point every cutscene rolled one after another as soon as I stepped in.

Lord_Pigeonbane
Nov 24, 2002

Just the ladies, now!

exploded mummy posted:

60k fans in total or in the Club Moon district specifically

Total, I think. I'll check when I get home later. If I just need to grind up some fans, that shouldn't be so bad.

ImpAtom posted:

The Cabaret battle is blocked by plot progression. I couldn't access it until Chapter 11 at which point every cutscene rolled one after another as soon as I stepped in.

Oh. Okay, fine. Maybe I'll advance the plot, then.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Any tips on doing the Rush trainer's activity? The camera is in such a lovely spot, Kiryu ends up blocking the opponent and I can't even see if they're attacking or not.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

It's Slot Cars

I keep investing in properties and collecting payouts thinking "Okay, next round I'll have enough to acquire that expensive pachinko parlor" but then suddenly more slot car parts go on sale :shepspends:

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Jimbot posted:

Any tips on doing the Rush trainer's activity? The camera is in such a lovely spot, Kiryu ends up blocking the opponent and I can't even see if they're attacking or not.

You don't have to rely on the dodge technique - for the most part, just running around the arena works a lot better. Always be aware of the distance between you and your opponent so you know whether or not they're going to close the space with their attacks.

It's a pain in the rear end regardless.

Lord_Pigeonbane
Nov 24, 2002

Just the ladies, now!
The final Rush training was a little insane. It wasn't super hard, if you can keep your opponent on camera. The insane bit is that every shot that you dodge is hitting one of the people that have gathered around to block your view of the fight!

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there

Lord_Pigeonbane posted:

The final Rush training was a little insane. It wasn't super hard, if you can keep your opponent on camera. The insane bit is that every shot that you dodge is hitting one of the people that have gathered around to block your view of the fight!

You pass the training even if you get hit, as long as it doesn't kill you outright.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Oxxidation posted:

You don't have to rely on the dodge technique - for the most part, just running around the arena works a lot better. Always be aware of the distance between you and your opponent so you know whether or not they're going to close the space with their attacks.

It's a pain in the rear end regardless.

It's really only the second guy who's an issue

The first has pretty easy patterns

The third isn't too bad because I he connects he doesn't always drop you and you learn how to weave after #2 so you shouldn't really have too much issue

The fourth basically uses the same attack pattern as #1

The fifth you don't even have to win, just survive

If there's anything I would really recommend to do would be investing to improve the Quickstep and it really becomes trivial.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
You can't do the Club Moon challenge if you have your next MSQ marker at the Grand because end and of the cabaret story happens there too.

Just FYI

e: Also for Rush 3 just hold block as soon as the battle starts and literally do not touch anything else. Unless you get really really unlucky you will pass.

Snackula
Aug 1, 2013

hedgefund wizard

Celery Jello posted:

I hope this hasn't been asked, but is the sheer number of different types of cutscene, with different levels of animation, VA, and so on, a style choice, a budget choice, or a budget choice in earlier games that turned into a style choice later?

Part of it is that this was a(lso available as a) PS3 game in Japan so whenever it cuts to FMV that looks exactly like the PS4 in-game graphics that's for the PS3 version's benefit.

Snackula fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Feb 10, 2017

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug
jesus christ gently caress the tel tel phone game

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
hahahah goro majima is a COOL FUCKEN DUDE

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!
So saw this on the facebook https://www.videogamesplus.ca/product_info.php?products_id=14252

$50 CDN for Yakuza 2 is probably good, but also ugh.

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde

Snackula posted:

Part of it is that this was a(lso available as a) PS3 game in Japan so whenever it cuts to FMV that looks exactly like the PS4 in-game graphics that's for the PS3 version's benefit.

Ah, that makes sense. The thing that I was most struck by is how a single story sequence can contain all of:

Full fancy FMV
Weird high quality but barely animated FMV with stylized captions
In-game cutscenes with voice acting
In-game cutscenes with text

Like in most games you could sort of tell which were the major plot points based on how fancy it got, but this game, seems to switch styles whenever it feels like it.

I'm not knocking it, it just struck me that I couldn't tell if this was a deliberate choice or if the changing quality level just owed to some parts only getting partially finished, or something. It having to take a PS three version into account makes sense.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Just finished my first Yakuza game, #4. Do they all have Return of the King endings?

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

KingShiro posted:

So saw this on the facebook https://www.videogamesplus.ca/product_info.php?products_id=14252

$50 CDN for Yakuza 2 is probably good, but also ugh.

There was a limited reprint of the first 4 games according to a guy from Sega/Atlus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

DrNutt posted:

Just finished my first Yakuza game, #4. Do they all have Return of the King endings?
Wait, did Kiryu go back to the Shire at the end of 4 and I forgot?

edit: I guess Okinawa is kind of like that.