Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

hakimashou posted:

But it wouldn't be unfair even a little bit to say that the folks who reelected Jeremy Corbyn as leader of the Labour Party, after the brexit referendum no less, have lost touch with reality in a big way. I don't think I've ever been more relieved to have been born on this side of the Atlantic.

we're all relieved about that

1967: the British government nationalises 90% of the steel industry.

GEORGE W BUSHI fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Feb 10, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

hakimashou posted:

What are you guys gonna do if it turns out that Britain has become just well and truly anti-immigrant anyway? Like if no party that isn't hostile to immigration can win?

'if'?

Britain has been like that for ages, have you been living on the moon?

dispatch_async
Nov 28, 2014

Imagine having the time to have played through 20 generations of one family in The Sims 2. Imagine making the original two members of that family Neil Buchanan and Cat Deeley. Imagine complaining to Maxis there was no technological progression. You've successfully imagined my life
Cambridge student filmed burning cash in front of homeless man

quote:

A member of the prestigious Cambridge University Conservative Association has been expelled from the organisation after he was filmed burning a £20 note in front of a homeless person.

The footage, shared on Snapchat, showed the Pembroke College student, dressed smartly in bowtie and tails, using a cigarette lighter to burn the money, the student website the Tab reported.

The person recording the video then captured a homeless man in the shot, who was standing outside a clothing shop in Cambridge city centre. After burning the money, the student says “some homeless shelter” before the video ends.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

jabby posted:

'if'?

Britain has been like that for ages, have you been living on the moon?

What I mean is, what's the game plan for the British left? Die on the hill or make the best of a bad situation?

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

What cabinet position do you think he'll get in 30 years?

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

kustomkarkommando posted:

We are number one but every one keeps voting for right wingers

The Mail were trying to tie this to Nicola Sturgeon as he's her nephew's sister-in-law's ex-boyfriend or some poo poo. It's all very Spaceballs.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

This was the lil oval office who was distantly related to NIcola Sturgeon, it was posted a while back.

Not sure what ""some homeless shelter"" even means in that context

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Any anointed successor is going to have to contend with accusations of being a puppet for shadowy master Corbyn, a first term parliamentarian especially - the act of attempting to select a clear successor will be enough to rile people up.

Lewis might have a chance in a leadership contest but I think his repeated loud support for a "progressive alliance" and support for an electoral pact with the Lib Dems and SNP could trip him up - still think Labour are a bit off from endorsing that

I don't really buy that. We're talking about Jeremy Corbyn here. Literally nothing the man has ever done gives even the slightest hint that he is capable of being a puppet master of any sort. And even if he had that in his box of tricks I seriously doubt he'd want to be a puppet master. Seems out of character, this is a man who ran to be leader out of a sense of resigned obligation to his colleagues on the left.

Baron Corbyn posted:

lol at thinking the Democrats are good guys, and not the not-cartoon-villain guys. Bigger lol at thinking you're going to have real elections in America under Trump. He's already laying the foundations for massive voter suppression with his 3-5 million illegal voters poo poo.

PLEASE STOP.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

forkboy84 posted:

I don't really buy that. We're talking about Jeremy Corbyn here. Literally nothing the man has ever done gives even the slightest hint that he is capable of being a puppet master of any sort. And even if he had that in his box of tricks I seriously doubt he'd want to be a puppet master. Seems out of character, this is a man who ran to be leader out of a sense of resigned obligation to his colleagues on the left.

he isn't saying Corbyn will be a puppet master. He's saying people will accuse him of being one. Accusations don't have to have any basis in reality for the press to print them.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
You know who else whines absolutely non-stop about the media being to blame for all their Party/movement/candidate's ills? Like to the extent it is their biggest talking point?

Trump supporters. Before trump the rest of the wacko far right here.

I knew the blame-the-media line seemed familiar.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

hakimashou posted:

You know who else whines absolutely non-stop about the media being to blame for all their Party/movement/candidate's ills? Like to the extent it is their biggest talking point?

Trump supporters. Before trump the rest of the wacko far right here.

I knew the blame-the-media line seemed familiar.

have you even seen the british press?

also the media was totally out for trump

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

JFairfax posted:

have you even seen the british press?

also the media was totally out for trump

And yet we've got trump stinking up the White House.

Can you blame the media for recognizing a big juicy shitshow when they see one and sitting down to enjoy their meal?

hakimashou fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Feb 10, 2017

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

hakimashou posted:

And yet we've got trump stinking up the White House.

the relationship between the media and trump is a little more complicated than that between corbyn and the british press.

the american media knew trump was ratings gold, they gave him lots of airtime to spout what he wanted, and the length of the primary campaign meant he got a lot of coverage. now a lot of the commentary was negative, but he benefited from saturating the airwaves.

the press in the UK willfully misrepresents Corbyn and does not let people see him present his case regularly on prime time.

the media was ultimately hostile to trump, but because he was ratings gold they also gave the oxygen his campaign needed to catch fire.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."

hakimashou posted:

Can you blame the media for recognizing a big juicy shitshow when they see one and sitting down to enjoy their meal?

Yes.

By broadcasting entire speeches by Trump, cutting away from other candidates to go to him, by just rubbernecking at the freakshow, the media totally loving abandoned its duty. There has been such a cataclysmic dereliction of duty by the media in the last five years that all you can do is blame them for their piss poor reporting.

Sion fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Feb 10, 2017

hand-fed baby bird
May 13, 2009
even when he's probated someone fills the void

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

hakimashou posted:

I agree with your implication that the media eats poo poo.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

nopantsjack posted:

Its also just the papers don't report the on going Tory project to quietly kill the NHS, most of them for obvious reasons but then you've even got the guardian who run stories like Jeremy hunt criticizing the NHS without the headline or much of the story addressing the fact that he has been bullish about loving the NHS in full sight of everybody for years now.

Jeremy Hunt comes across as one of the most evil fuckers in the cabinet. At least with IDS you can make the argument that he actually believed his poo poo and his actions came from delusion and sheer irresponsibility. Hunt gives the impression he knows exactly what he's doing and has no qualms about it, every statement he makes is a coldly calculated distortion meant to manipulate the media coverage, and it's working really well. Even with the growing concern there's barely any direct criticism of him and his department, or even the government in general

Can't wait for him to be PM!

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.

Guavanaut posted:

I agree with your implication that the media eats poo poo.

The Pope also agrees.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

hakimashou posted:

What cabinet position do you think he'll get in 30 years?

He won't get anywhere near the cabinet with this incident in the public record. The tories do have some standards.

They won't put up with someone who can only afford to burn £20. Need to incinerate at least £50 to get a cabinet position.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH

WeAreTheRomans posted:

This was the lil oval office who was distantly related to NIcola Sturgeon, it was posted a while back.

Well.

https://twitter.com/PickardJE/status/829978157377847296

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

hakimashou posted:

What I mean is, what's the game plan for the British left? Die on the hill or make the best of a bad situation?

Leave the UK and make a new country.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

Coohoolin posted:

Leave the UK and make a new country.

I know it's a super long shot but I'd really loving love to see an independent, EU-member Scotland gain all the prosperity that England will lose, just to spite all those loving brexiter racists. I'd also move there in a heartbeat because let's face it, Scotland is cool as heck.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

JFairfax posted:

the relationship between the media and trump is a little more complicated than that between corbyn and the british press.

the american media knew trump was ratings gold, they gave him lots of airtime to spout what he wanted, and the length of the primary campaign meant he got a lot of coverage. now a lot of the commentary was negative, but he benefited from saturating the airwaves.

the press in the UK willfully misrepresents Corbyn and does not let people see him present his case regularly on prime time.

the media was ultimately hostile to trump, but because he was ratings gold they also gave the oxygen his campaign needed to catch fire.

Not to mention that everytime the MAINSTREAM LIBERAL MEDIA!!! took their shots at Trump, he moved a little bit closer to the "outsider" status people loved him for. Same thing with Farage in a lot of ways.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
Came to check this thread but there's not nearly enough gags about that kid burning a twenty quid note in front of a homeless person.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Jeza posted:

Came to check this thread but there's not nearly enough gags about that kid burning a twenty quid note in front of a homeless person.

Only part of that story we were ever likely to discuss was how Jeremy Corbyn failed to stop him burning the note unfortunately.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Damning evidence indeed.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Jeza posted:

Nobody gave a gently caress when our last Prime Minister burnt a £50 in front of a tramp, so some nobody burning a £20 was unlikely to make much of a stir.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Oh dear me posted:

You see it in places where LibDems were stronger than Labour before the Coalition, as evidenced above.

Known Lib Dem strongholds of Rotherham, Bolsover, and Sunderland.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

marktheando posted:

Nobody gave a gently caress when our last Prime Minister burnt a £50 in front of a tramp, so some nobody burning a £20 was unlikely to make much of a stir.

He also hosed a dead pig in the mouth, to completion

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

marktheando posted:

Austerity in action.

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

Staying abreast of the latest developments in jam communism

Lord of the Llamas posted:

Austerity in action.

Got to live within your means.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

forkboy84 posted:

Only part of that story we were ever likely to discuss was how Jeremy Corbyn failed to stop him burning the note unfortunately.
Jeremy Corbyn burned a homeless person. I heard him talking about it in Nando's.

marktheando posted:

£50 notes weren't in circulation when Pig Dave was joining his thug gangdining club.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

Guavanaut posted:

Jeremy Corbyn burned a homeless person. I heard him talking about it in Nando's.

£50 notes weren't in circulation when Pig Dave was joining his thug gangdining club.

Wiki says the old £50 notes were released in 1981 which was before he went to uni.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

I heat Jeremy Corbyn burns all paper money cos he hates the queen

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

I heat Jeremy Corbyn burns all paper money cos he hates the queen

It's about sending a message

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
he's got old copies of Razzle in his allotment shed

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Jeza posted:

Wiki says the old £50 notes were released in 1981 which was before he went to uni.
I thought he went to uni earlier than that, but I guess not.

It makes it unlikely that it was a 'long standing tradition' though. Maybe it's something that he just decided to do that wasn't a tradition at all.

Like loving a dead pig on camera.

e: VVV :golfclap:

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Guavanaut posted:

I thought he went to uni earlier than that, but I guess not.

It makes it unlikely that it was a 'long standing tradition' though. Maybe it's something that he just decided to do that wasn't a tradition at all.

Like loving a dead pig on camera.

They might have burned different denominations before then.

Catholics, for example

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

Surely that's a parody account. I mean. Seriously?

• Locked thread