Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Feindfeuer
Jun 20, 2013

shoot men, receive credits

Wandle Cax posted:

No there's 2 different Deathmatch modes, one is elimination one is point based

Ok, I must have missed that one too than.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA
Had a blast learning the game with Raider and Warden for my first few hours and now I'm trying to learn Berserker. I can see the potential but my aged fingers may not be up to the task. Man is it fun when it comes together though, really captures that all-out-offense feel. The infinite combo was giving me fits at the start, I was having a hard time keeping the cadence going while switching direction without breaking it prematurely with the overhead heavy. I've gotten that down pretty well now but I don't know if I'll ever get reliable with the dodge-breaks, getting the timing+the direction right under pressure is a tall order for my old man reflexes (I'm 30 so I have no excuse really I'm just a baddie). I can win pretty often just derping around and taking good trades but I really struggled against a couple Conquerors, seems like a fairly hard counter to the Berserker, at least at my current skill level. Still, those few duel rounds where it all just fell into place and I murder-blended through some dudes flawlessly were fuckin' amazing and now I will be eternally chasing that high. The guides on the official forums were actually really helpful for me (http://forums.ubi.com/forumdisplay.php/1429-Combat-amp-Strategy mostly in the various sub-forums) so I recommend checking those out if you're new like me.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Is there a quick fix to mouse cursor appearing ingame aside from a restart?

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.
By the way thread, given the choice of getting the game for a pretty old PC (GTX670 + i5 2500k + 8 gigs ram) or a PS4 Pro, what's the best version / the likely most supported in the future?

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Is there a quick fix to mouse cursor appearing ingame aside from a restart?

Alt+Tab, restore then a quick Shift+F2 to bring up the overlay fixes it for me.

hey welcome to the show!
Jan 22, 2014

nobody loves me

Kawabata posted:

By the way thread, given the choice of getting the game for a pretty old PC (GTX670 + i5 2500k + 8 gigs ram) or a PS4 Pro, what's the best version / the likely most supported in the future?

In your case, go with the PS4 you will have more fun actually being able to keep decent fps.

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

God damnit I forgot this game went open beta yesterday.

I cancelled my evening plan with friends tonight. I'm now hoping that I will hate it so that I don't have to upgrade my PC (7850 + 3570k, ugh) and shell money for the game itself. Perhaps Ubisoft will gently caress up something around the game itself.

I have a huge hard-on for melee games and too much of my teenage years were spent with Jedi Knight/Outcast/Academy dueling faggotry. None of the recent sword/melee fighting games has had me quite as excited as For Honor, they all seemed to be lacking in some respect. (Yeah, I know the main gameplay mode is the MOBA-esque thing).

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Can sombody explain Peacekeepers Dagger Cancel? Is it just the feint but worded differently? No matter how much i hit Light attack or the B button i can't seem to get the feint or the Dagger Cancel ability to work right. Also is there any trick to getting her counterattack timing correctly? Sometimes it seems like it doesn't want to work , especially if i've already a couple of hits in a fight.

The Shame Boy fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Feb 10, 2017

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

Gunder posted:

I have found that I can dodge into the direction of attacks if I hit the dodge button right as the attack indicator flashes red (tested in a Raider vs Raider bot duel with me dodging into a horizontal attack with the same timing that you would use for deflects.) It certainly looked like there were i-frames.

Dodging into the direction of an attack as the thing flashes red is exactly how you do deflects though?

Parry = block + heavy attack when the indicator flashes
Deflect = dodge into the attack when the indicator flashes

Are we getting our terminologies confused or are you just talking about something I don't understand?

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!
How exactly are you supposed to play the moba mode?

I love the duel/brawl modes, but elimination or domination or whatever it's called invariably boils down to a one-vs-everyone slaughter or a button mashing clusterfuck of people. I've been known to enjoy a moba or two in the past, so I think I could like it if I knew how to play it. Maybe I just need to get better at the game in general?

Hypha
Sep 13, 2008

:commissar:

Donnerberg posted:

I love the duel/brawl modes, but elimination or domination or whatever it's called invariably boils down to a one-vs-everyone slaughter or a button mashing clusterfuck of people. I've been known to enjoy a moba or two in the past, so I think I could like it if I knew how to play it. Maybe I just need to get better at the game in general?

From what I figured out trying to coordinate with friends, the cluster battles involve stacking debuffs on enemies and dancing around revenge mechanics. A good revenge burst can quickly turn a battle against you but can be mitigated if they are consistently stunned and guard broken. Blocking against multiple people is quite easy and people can get multiple revenge bursts in a single fight if too many people just spam attacks. The big fights are quite weird though in that they lack the control and flow of a 1v1 situation. Friendly fire is also a bit of a problem. Communication makes everything better, coordinating unblockables and throws with an assassin character just drops people.

For domination, I feel like point B is the most important determinant of score. You never truly hold B, you use another point as your staging area, but destroying a creep wave gets you way more points then hunting for kills. Additionally, you can't lose those points like the capture zones, so they constitute a permanent advantage. Fighting in the creep waves though can be incredibly annoying or very rewarding, depending on what hero you play. A and C are better points to be fighting in but you always want to go back to smashing mooks in B.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Donnerberg posted:

The thing is that it's really not all that moba-ish aside from the presence of some AI-controlled dudes for you to slaughter when you're not busy doing something else. It plays more like a battlefield-style conquest mode.

Basically, you've got three control points that you want to conquer. For the A and C points you conquer them simply by standing on them, for the central B point to kill enough AI-dudes for your own side to push forwards. While you've got control of a CP, it will passively give your team 1 point per second, and also give you a flat 100 "temporary" points that will be lost again the moment you lose the CP. The goal is to get beyond 1000 points, which disables respawn for enemy players, and then kill all the enemy players. Note that if the enemy team manages to take enough CPs from you to push your points total back below 1000, respawn is re-enabled for them. It's also possible for both teams to get 1000+ points at the same time, which means the whole thing basically turns into a sudden death where the last team standing wins.

Now, a key dynamic here is that you can increase the amount of points a CP gives you. For A and C, you merely need to to stand on an owned CP to "boost" it, which will give you 2 points per second instead of the regular 1 per second. For the central one, you can wade in and slaughter the minions at 1 point per kill. Conversely, while you contest an enemy point by standing on it (A or C only), it will not yield any points at all.

So what does this mean for the individual player? Basically it's fine to be opportunistic. Just killing enemy players does not do much by itself, though it is of course advantageous since it gives you an advantage in numbers to capture further points. When you see a larger group of enemies coming your way, don't be afraid to just turn tail and avoid them, or lure them towards your own allies. Capturing and holding a point even just for a few seconds is usually worth more than getting a kill. Similarly, occupying two or more enemy players for a prolonged time can be worth it as long as the rest of your team manages to capture their CPs in the meantime. On the whole, think more in terms of securing points for your team than getting kills.

Generally what we've found to be a good meta is to have one player squat semi-permanently on the point nearest to your spawn, defending and boosting it. Two players hang around near B, fending off enemies and making extra points by killing minions. The fourth one runs interference, either reinforcing one of those CPs when they're outnumbered, or rushing past and contesting the CP near the enemy spawn when there's an opportunity.

Mercedes
Mar 7, 2006

"So you Jesus?"

"And you black?"

"Nigga prove it!"

And so Black Jesus turned water into a bucket of chicken. And He saw that it was good.

I feel the spear ninja's little back dodge with the I frame is a little op. How do you counter it?

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

Hypha posted:

From what I figured out trying to coordinate with friends, the cluster battles involve stacking debuffs on enemies and dancing around revenge mechanics. A good revenge burst can quickly turn a battle against you but can be mitigated if they are consistently stunned and guard broken. Blocking against multiple people is quite easy and people can get multiple revenge bursts in a single fight if too many people just spam attacks. The big fights are quite weird though in that they lack the control and flow of a 1v1 situation. Friendly fire is also a bit of a problem. Communication makes everything better, coordinating unblockables and throws with an assassin character just drops people.

For domination, I feel like point B is the most important determinant of score. You never truly hold B, you use another point as your staging area, but destroying a creep wave gets you way more points then hunting for kills. Additionally, you can't lose those points like the capture zones, so they constitute a permanent advantage. Fighting in the creep waves though can be incredibly annoying or very rewarding, depending on what hero you play. A and C are better points to be fighting in but you always want to go back to smashing mooks in B.

I see. Is there any point in waiting at A or C, or should everyone be actively doing something?

Guarding the point while there's no one there seems to increase something called a renown multiplier. I've no idea if it's possible to lose that multiplier before cashing in, but it seems to be positive reinforcement for guard duty.

Okay that's exactly what I was wondering. Thanks!

Attack on Princess fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Feb 10, 2017

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Internet Kraken posted:

I sit in queue for 1v1 for 10 minutes and get nothing

I get a 2v2 match in 10 seconds. On the first round, my partner accuses the team of having no honor and I get stuck with a bot after he leaves.

If anything kills this game its gonna be this.

lol at "you have no honor" because this game should be called anything but "For Honor." my friends and I are the biggest assholes in this, whether it's ganking a 1v1 with a jumping superman punch or sliding down a ladder to kill someone with an rear end slam, there is zero honor in this loving game and I love it

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider
I got matched with a dude in brawl who would intentionally (and constantly) get the two fights mixed up together by getting in the way and intentionally swapping targets once in a while. It looked very efficient at angering the other team; It sure worked for that match.

super macho dude
Aug 9, 2014

Captain Oblivious posted:

Yeah I still can't quite get the hang of this sadly. The window of opportunity to dodge that poo poo is so small that truly good Conquerors just poo poo all over me and I rarely so much as graze them.

Bonus points for if they literally infinite chain shield bash+heavy+shield bash+heavy you into a wall til you die or however that works.

It's frustrating. They're the only matchup where my first inclination is "give up, let someone else handle it".

Be a brave strong Raider like the All Father intended and running powerslam that tin can into a wall or off a cliff

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

Donnerberg posted:

You kill footsoldiers for points. These points fill up you ability meter so you can do cool poo poo like call down airstrikes eventually. Killing footsoldiers also shifts the balance of power for the middle point and your soldiers need to be winning for the point to be yours

Stand on points to cap them. Stick with your team and you wont be constantly outnumbered. If your team ia retarded, focus on backcapping points to split up the other team. Revive your dead buds by standing on their corpse and press E

Standing on a capped point increases point generation and builds your ability meter as well as heals you (not the middle point, though)

Once you get more feats by leveling up, you can customize your character with all sorts of abilities, like immunity to poison for some characters. I like the one that heals you whenever you kill footsoldiers, its an easy way to constantly stay healthy without always retreating back to a point. The nobushi bow ability also basically one-shots a player character but has a long cooldown so it can turn the tide in tight situations. Everyone gets a spammable Area of Effect attack that is amazing for wiping out 5-6 footsoldiers at a time to build points.

Learn when to enter turtle mode (ppl are piling on you, turn so you have them to your sides and youll autoblock all their attacks just by pointing your guard in their general direction, which gives you increased survivability of course but also builds your revenge meter super fast so you can power up) and when to go full offense on some other guy (dont build his revenge meter)

If you strike your teammates you deal a little bit of damage and stagger them so they can't do their attacks so don't just spam your attacks near your teammates if it's a close fight. Sometimes it's better to maneuver behind the enemy guy you're fighting and just shieldbashing him or kicking him to interrupt him rather than flailing your axe around wildly and accidentally giving him free blocks so he can build revenge... and interrupting your teammates with your inaccurate flailing

Zzulu fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Feb 10, 2017

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
there is a lot of nuance and potential for amazing teamplay in 4v4, but if your team just runs around like headless chickens its just a clusterfuck

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Christ I just don't loving recognise guard breaks. I can parry consistently and I'm okay during fights but I'll never counter a guard break because it just doesn't register with me until after they've done it and I'm falling off a cliff or getting a free sword hit to my face over and over until I'm dead.

That little red shield icon doesn't help me at all. I must be missing something but it's my main source of frustration currently

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I don't even notice the icon, I just notice the animation. Whenever I see it trigger I spam the counter

Gunder
May 22, 2003

titties posted:

Dodging into the direction of an attack as the thing flashes red is exactly how you do deflects though?

Parry = block + heavy attack when the indicator flashes
Deflect = dodge into the attack when the indicator flashes

Are we getting our terminologies confused or are you just talking about something I don't understand?

I'm saying that the dodges appear to offer i-frames (frames of invulnerability), as I was able to dodge straight through attacks as the Raider (who cannot deflect anything) if I do it with the same timing that you would use for a deflect.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
After waiting for 30m+ for a 1v1 duel and countless matchmaking errors I got into a game.

Against the guy who was #9 on the closed beta 1v1 leaderboard. He told me after he won about 10 games while utterly destroying me that he had 100% WR on peacekeeper in open beta with around 100 games. His plan was to get 200 games unbeatable.

I broke his streak. Never felt more satisfied in a game in a long rear end time.

Keegers
Aug 11, 2014

Sultan Tarquin posted:

I broke his streak. Never felt more satisfied in a game in a long rear end time.

Where's the salt pics of him raging about losing?

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

Sultan Tarquin posted:

What strategy did he use? What strategy did you use?

Round 5 must have been loving intense!

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!

Keegers posted:

Where's the salt pics of him raging about losing?

There was none. He congratulated me on winning.

Trillhouse posted:

What strategy did he use? What strategy did you use?

Round 5 must have been loving intense!

His strategy was light attacks. He'd attack from different directions faster than I could move my guard and they do a lot of damage. Also parrying heavies into un-techable guard break with 3x stab which does guaranteed half your HP bar. I think he was using m&k because drat he was moving quickly.

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

Songbearer posted:

Christ I just don't loving recognise guard breaks. I can parry consistently and I'm okay during fights but I'll never counter a guard break because it just doesn't register with me until after they've done it and I'm falling off a cliff or getting a free sword hit to my face over and over until I'm dead.

That little red shield icon doesn't help me at all. I must be missing something but it's my main source of frustration currently

Guard breaks are probably the hardest thing to get a handle on when you're starting. You need to anticipate them anytime you're in range unless they're mid attack. "Guard break beats guard, guard beats attack, attack beats guard break" is a good maxim to remember.

Don't get too hung up on Counter Guard Breaking. I know it makes logical sense that the counter to GB is CGB, but light attacks are a better counter against players spamming GB. The CGB is hard to hit unless you have a ton of fighting game experience, and even the top For Honor players miss them often.

A good basic strategy against this type of player is to use an opener that closes distances and attack, then start stringing light attacks together (heavy too if you're character has faster heavies). Don't even worry about guarding. Keep attacking (be very aggressive) and none of his guard breaks will work and, because he's not blocking, all your shots will land clean. If he starts blocking, throw or a guard break instantly, throw him off a ledge or into a wall. When you run out of stamina, retreat.

The key is aggression. Dont worry about CGB for now. Just go all out on GB spammers.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Mercedes posted:

I feel the spear ninja's little back dodge with the I frame is a little op. How do you counter it?

Like all dodges, it does nothing against guardbreaks, so that's a feasible counter if you can land it. Additionally, I'm reasonably sure that the i-frames only apply if the Nobushi is close to the edge of a given attack. So if she's significantly within your reach, she should still get hit. Last but not least, with sufficiently fast attacks there's a chance to hit her with a followup before her own counterattack comes out.

Basically, the best general tactic against Nobushi seems to get in really close, and keep strong constant pressure on her with various light attacks and guardbreaks. She actually has a small but not insignificant delay when switching from one guard to another, so rapid switches in attack directions can lead to attacks slipping through that would be easily blocked by other characters.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
yeah, noushis get eaten alive up close

the good ones will always keep distance

Av027
Aug 27, 2003
Qowned.

Songbearer posted:

Probably the best advice I can give if the reflexes aren't working is to just pay attention to your positioning, and try to avoid it in the first place. If you're close enough to guardbreak, you can kind of expect it. Some characters are better at steering clear of guardbreak range (Nobushi, Warden, Kensei, Raider), and some kind of need to be that close to be effective (Peacekeeper, Berserker, Conqueror, Warlord), so character choice is important for avoidance. You can also dodge backward to maintain distance. If you're playing one of the characters with shorter range, look to initiate guard breaks when you're in kissing distance. Throw them first. Win.

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

Evil Canadian posted:

Souls pvp is a joke compared to real fighting games so I am not too concerned about that. Ill take what I know over some random guy I have never heard of who plays dark souls.

Oh poo poo flinging some poo poo at Dark Souls Pvp, For Honor thread is GETTING REAL.

Who the gently caress cares if someone wants dedicated servers, or if someone wants it to be p2p. People are going to approach this as a dynasty warriors game, others are gonna approach this as street fighter 5.

ShortThug
Dec 26, 2004

Yay!
Guard breaks are basically like throw techs in fighting games. You kind of have to anticipate them because trying to react is really difficult unless you have godlike reactions.

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo
hayyy

also how the gently caress do you activate the gates on that samurai map? It was hilarious the first time somebody dropped one on me but bah gawd fool me twice

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.

Dessel posted:

I cancelled my evening plan with friends tonight. I'm now hoping that I will hate it so that I don't have to upgrade my PC (7850 + 3570k, ugh) and shell money for the game itself. Perhaps Ubisoft will gently caress up something around the game itself.

My overclocked 3570K + 1080 runs this at max settings @ 1440p locked at 60. This game doesn't seem to be CPU bottlenecked like quite a few games these days so I'd say you're fine with an upgrade to a 1070 or even a RX480 for 1080p probably.

Tried the beta on both PS4 and PC, and man, I don't know if I can play this at 30fps after experiencing it at 60.

Being a fighting game guy, it's not really doing much for me. Evil Canadian seems to be enjoying it though, so I'll try it out a bit more I guess. It's just out at a weird time where I actually have quite a few other things I'd want to play rather than try out this game.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

mellowjournalism posted:

hayyy

also how the gently caress do you activate the gates on that samurai map? It was hilarious the first time somebody dropped one on me but bah gawd fool me twice

There's a lever on the control points. You pull it and shortly after the gates come down and kills anyone underneath

super macho dude
Aug 9, 2014

not enough folks using nobushi's hidden stance, which imo makes her so goddamn deadly

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Donnerberg posted:

GUIDE TO DOMINION (because lots of people aren't getting it)

There are 3 points. A B and C.

A is near one team, C is near the other, B is in the middle.

B has mooks fighting each other. You can kill mooks to level up and earn Renown to unlock your abilities. These make you much more powerful, so farming mooks at B is important.

But A and C need to be held to earn points. If somebody stands at A or C, you earn +2 points per tick, otherwise only +1 for holding them. This means if the enemy team has A and B, you can hold C and stand on it to receive +2 points per tick, while they get +2 points per tick. So you're tied even though they have 2 points. For them to earn +3 per tick, they'd need to hold someone at A, which means they only have 3 players to push B or C. Then you can give up C in an attempt to blitz A or B with 4 players. This makes holding 2 or 3 points difficult for a long time, and gives the losing team a chance.

Ultimately you need to score 1000 points. Holding a capture point earns you 100 points towards the goal. If you have 700 points and hold A, B and C, that means you have 1000 currently and the enemy team goes into sudden death. They cannot respawn, only rez each other. Try to work together to hunt down the enemy team asap together at this point, if you're at 1000 and the enemy team isn't, you can respawn and they cannot. However if you only have 1000 because of the 100 bonus points from holding a few points, say you have 700+300 but then one point gets captured, now you're at 700+200 which means the enemy can respawn again. Ultimately you'll hit 1000 points without the +100 bonus and the enemy team will be permanently in sudden death. Kill them before they get enough points to put your team into sudden death.

Getting renown from killing players and mostly mooks is important because level 4 abilities are devastating. Throwing out a catapult shot can destroy a player from range if they're injured already, allowing you to easily mop them up if you're in sudden death. But controlling the capture points is key. But killing enemy players forces them out of the game for a few seconds while they respawn, so is important to capturing points.

Perestroika posted:

The thing is that it's really not all that moba-ish aside from the presence of some AI-controlled dudes for you to slaughter when you're not busy doing something else. It plays more like a battlefield-style conquest mode.

It IS very MOBA-ish because you have to balance leveling up with killing opponents, and you have to balance controlling the 3 lanes with working together to out-number and gank your opponents. The strategy to playing Dominion is 100% exactly the same as MOBA strategy, you're just running around in 3D not clicking on a 2D map. The actual combat has NOTHING to do with a MOBA, there's not any skillshots or poo poo like that, the combat is that of a fighting game. But the strategy is that of a MOBA.

Donnerberg posted:

I see. Is there any in waiting at A or C, or should everyone be actively doing something?

Holding A or C will heal you constantly, in addition to getting +2 points per tick instead of +1.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
so many loving swastika emblems. jesus people are dumb.

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

Zaphod42 posted:

GUIDE TO DOMINION (because lots of people aren't getting it)

(A lot of good stuff)

Thank you for this post. I've only really done 1v1 so this was illuminating to me. All add this graphic too. It helps you understand how renown works and what gets you renown points for your character.

http://m.imgur.com/a/nKH4x

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fresh Shesh Besh
May 15, 2013

Plenty of room in mumble to chop mans just sayin'.