Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Tie-breaker for serial you'd most like to find an episode from
This poll is closed.
The Massacre of St. Bartholomew's Eve 33 44.59%
The Highlanders 41 55.41%
Total: 74 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
FreezingInferno
Jul 15, 2010

THERE.
WILL.
BE.
NO.
BATTLE.
HERE!

cargohills posted:

The BBC have sent out a survey about The Power of the Daleks and one of the questions is about future animations. Could suggest they're seriously thinking about doing more. I sure hope so.

What bargains do I need to make to get a Macra Terror cartoon?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
THERE IS NO MACRA TERROR RECONSTRUCTION

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

jivjov posted:

Apologies for phone screenshot...BUT BIG FINISH IS DOING 9 AND 11 STORIES!!!!!

Edit: okay, more info: Nick Briggs is doing narration and the voice of all the Doctors. Camille and Bruno are back as Jackie and Adam for the 9 story, and that one is written by the same guy who did the recent 9th doctor comics.

Quoting since i got stuck at the bottom of the last page

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

no-one reads post 39

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Ugh, just get the actors! Nick Briggs isn't a great impressionist. :/

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
No Eccles no sale.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

The_Doctor posted:

Ugh, just get the actors! Nick Briggs isn't a great impressionist. :/

They can't. They can only get secondary companions, for the most part. I imagine the biggest name they'll be able to get back is Arthur Darvill, and potentially Noel Clarke. Otherise it's just companion families and the Torchwood regulars. They're probably going to do a fair number of stories with the Paternoster gang, Adam, Jenny and River too.

Everyone else is out of BF's price range, or just aren't interested (Eccleston).

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Barry Foster posted:

No Eccles no sale.

Fine, fine, fine.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Can't wait for more stories with Adam! (who?)

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Attitude Indicator posted:

Can't wait for more stories with Adam! (who?)

He's honestly one of the more memorable side characters from 9's run for me

Sad King Billy
Jan 27, 2006

Thats three of ours innit...to one of yours. You know mate I really think we ought to even up the average!

Open Source Idiom posted:

They can't. They can only get secondary companions, for the most part. I imagine the biggest name they'll be able to get back is Arthur Darvill, and potentially Noel Clarke. Otherise it's just companion families and the Torchwood regulars. They're probably going to do a fair number of stories with the Paternoster gang, Adam, Jenny and River too.

Everyone else is out of BF's price range, or just aren't interested (Eccleston).

Only bring back the Paternosters to kill them off please!

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort
Big Finish has been having a lot of stories on sale for $3 and I've been buying a handful of Six stories every week to listen to when it gets slow at work. I've enjoyed most of them enough, even though some were kinda crappy (like "Bloodtide") but I just got to "The Sandman" and I feel like I paid $5 or $6 too much for it.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Yeah I'm pleased they're gonna do some 9, 10 & 11 stories but the idea of Nick Briggs being the one narrating them doesn't really do much for me.

Well Manicured Man posted:

Big Finish has been having a lot of stories on sale for $3 and I've been buying a handful of Six stories every week to listen to when it gets slow at work. I've enjoyed most of them enough, even though some were kinda crappy (like "Bloodtide") but I just got to "The Sandman" and I feel like I paid $5 or $6 too much for it.

Yeah it ain't good - the idea of the Doctor as a terrifying monster could have been interesting but they botched it, and not even Colin Baker could do much to salvage it.

King Plum the Nth
Oct 16, 2008

Jan 2018: I've been rereading my post history and realized that I can be a moronic bloviating asshole. FWIW, I apologize for most of everything I've ever written on the internet. In future, if I can't say something functional or funny, I won't say anything at all.

Didn't they just drop a series with David Tennant and Catherine Tate? I mean if that's not first rank I don't know what you're looking for.

I'm out of the loop, though, I missed seeing them addresses in this thread so I don't have an idea of whether or not they're any good.

gently caress's sake, looking it up they even have audios with John Hurt. :smith:

As much as it pains me I think we just have to admit Eccles is going to hold out longer than Tom. i.e., unto death.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I dunno, we thought for the longest time that Tom wouldn't come back. Now we have like 6 seasons of audios with him. Starting with narrated/companion 9 stories is a springboard to Chris possibly coming back.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Also to be fair, Eccleston did apparently very strongly consider returning for the 50th Anniversary Special.

I think the real sticking point for him is always gonna be,"Is there something creative/unique I can bring to this and is it doing something worthwhile?" - the guy can make his money playing the villain in awful blockbuster films and then work on stuff that really interests him. Sadly, at the moment I don't think Doctor Who (or Big Finish) is really doing anything/can offer anything that he would find interesting.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Did Eccleston just hate doing the show or something? Thinking about it, I've known for some time that he decided to end his own run, but I've never actually been clear on why, and why he's so distant from the show now.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

CommonShore posted:

Did Eccleston just hate doing the show or something? Thinking about it, I've known for some time that he decided to end his own run, but I've never actually been clear on why, and why he's so distant from the show now.

If I remember right, he had a real issue with the "culture" of the BBC - he felt they were taking advantage of the cast but especially the crew, making them work ridiculously long hours and expecting them to go far above and beyond what they were actually being paid to do. He also had issues with one of the initial directors they brought on (Keith Boak). I believe he was also under the impression that this being another RTD show, that they would be doing something more in line with The Second Coming.

He has said he was proud to have been in the role and really enjoys that it provided something that families could watch and enjoy together, and he's a big fan of Joe Ahearne and said that if he ever directed a big Doctor Who special he'd come along and replay the 9th even if he had to do it on a walking frame :3:

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

CommonShore posted:

He didn't like working on the show, no; he apparently didn't like how little influence he was permitted as the lead actor (especially compared to the series he did with RTD before that), and especially didn't get on with one of the directors, the one that did Boom Town. He did get on very well with Moffat and the crew for The Empty Child/The Doctor Dances, though.

That said, that's likely not why he left. Eccleston has never been one to stick to a role for very long, he'd prefer to just do it and leave before he gets typecast and remembered forever as 'the guy that played X'.

EDIT: Semi-beaten, I'd trust Jerusalem more on this one.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Cleretic posted:

He didn't like working on the show, no; he apparently didn't like how little influence he was permitted as the lead actor (especially compared to the series he did with RTD before that), and especially didn't get on with one of the directors, the one that did Boom Town. He did get on very well with Moffat and the crew for The Empty Child/The Doctor Dances, though.

That said, that's likely not why he left. Eccleston has never been one to stick to a role for very long, he'd prefer to just do it and leave before he gets typecast and remembered forever as 'the guy that played X'.

EDIT: Semi-beaten, I'd trust Jerusalem more on this one.

I think it was the Rose director. Specifically because of the bit where the autons are trashing the shopping precinct said director pitched a fit at some extras over some infraction and Eccleston took issue with it.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I'm watching The Omega Factor, which was an old paranormal / science-fiction drama from the BBC which was broadcast in the late 1970s. I imagine it will be of interest to Doctor Who fans for featuring Louise Jameson's (who plays the female lead, Dr Anne Reynolds) first post-Leela role. It has recently received an audio drama continuation from Big Finish as well.

However, one of the most amusing things about it is that the lead actor, the late James Hazeldine of London's Burning fame, looked distractingly like Neil Gaiman to me. :D

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

To me after having Tennant back for a series this seems like a step back. Makes me a bit worried about future 10th/11th Doctor stories with Tennant and Smith. Did the 10/Donna series not sell well enough to justify the cost of having him back?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Astroman posted:

To me after having Tennant back for a series this seems like a step back. Makes me a bit worried about future 10th/11th Doctor stories with Tennant and Smith. Did the 10/Donna series not sell well enough to justify the cost of having him back?

Tennant and Tate have really active and busy careers; makes it a lot harder to get them in for Big Finish recordings.

I don't thing BF releases sales numbers...but the fact that their website crashed the day the 10/Donna set came out should tell you something about their popularity.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
News from the grapevine is that Tennant only did the one series as a favour, at a significantly reduced cut, and with the condition that he do them with Catherine Tate. He's actually not interested in doing any more -- though it's not clear what Tate thinks about anything.

Long story short, it's going to be a while before we get more from Tennant.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

News from the grapevine is that Tennant only did the one series as a favour, at a significantly reduced cut, and with the condition that he do them with Catherine Tate. He's actually not interested in doing any more -- though it's not clear what Tate thinks about anything.

Can you blame him? His US career is finally on track and he'll make fifty times the bucks doing that over BF.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Rhyno posted:

Can you blame him? His US career is finally on track and he'll make fifty times the bucks doing that over BF.

God no. And, honestly, it's not like main range Big Finish have been producing anything particularly interesting over the last few years. If they want to attract their big regulars back, they need to give them interesting and unusual scripts, and they've just not been making those recently.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

I was afraid of that. :(

At first when we got the 10th Doctor series it seemed like the start of something great and would lead to opening the floodgates on 11 and 12 audios in the next few years, but it seems like it was a flash in the pan.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Under their current license from the BBC, they can't touch 12 or anything originating in 12's episodes anyway.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

The first River Song volume was very good and this one is no different, doing some of the more ambitiously weird elements of the Doctor Who universe justice. The choice to use the 6th and 7th Doctors smacked a little of not quite trusting in the strength of River herself to carry the story but they end up being used wonderfully, and the chemistry between River and the Doctors is great. Best of all, it feels very different from anything else we've seen in the revival so far from her and both Doctors get to have a very distinct relationship with her. It's not without its flaws of course, and the story gets a little muddled around the 3/4ths mark before ending very strongly, but I do wish more Big Finish was willing to try some odd stuff like this.... though I would like Alex Kingston to get a chance to carry an entire audio by herself.

Also the theme music is cool as poo poo, even if it does have a very strong James Bond vibe which feels like an odd choice.

Synopsis: River Song meets the 7th Doctor and the crew of an experimental time ship, then they all die. That's when things really get weird.

What I thought: A neat intro and a fun concept that is mostly well executed. The supporting characters are largely forgettable (and written out "off-screen" in the next story) but the predicament the characters find themselves in, the weirdness of the "monster", and the chemistry between River and the 7th Doctor more than makes up for it. River, the Doctor and the crew find themselves on the experimental time-ship with mixed up memories, traveling forever but seemingly never getting any closer to their destination. The explanation when it comes is suitably weird and quite unsettling - they've all "crashed" while traveling through time into a planet that itself is temporally unstable. The resulting mix up means they're simultaneously dead and alive, and even more troubling is that they're struggling to maintain cohesion as the potentialities and possibilities of their existence are beginning to collide. Suddenly every quantum possibility is unraveling, a seemingly infinite number of the same person present and all fixated on one idea as their minds collapse under the strain of trying to understand their paradoxical existence.

The 7th Doctor is, of course, known as a puppetmaster/grand chess player who manipulates and plots everything out in advance. River is a character who often knows far more than anybody else present and uses her knowledge of future events to her advantage. Both have been accused of being smug know-it-alls, and you would think this "young" Doctor would be at the disadvantage. Happily McCoy's Doctor more than holds his own in a way that doesn't make River look foolish. Both are competent and clever, and their mixed up minds from the temporal crash means neither is quite in full possession of all the facts. They work well together as a team, setting things up nicely for their meeting later in the audio. That's where this story is strongest, it's good by itself but better when taking the entire audio in context. There is a lot of set-up here but it does it all very smoothly. Once again, the only real downside is that the crew is largely forgettable, as is the "monster" beyond the novelty of its nature.

The ending is a wonderful old school cliffhanger, as the Doctor and his TARDIS finally separate from the Time-Ship (conveniently clearing the Doctor's memory of the entire encounter) and River and the crew land on the mysterious planet. The bizarre location they find themselves in and the discovery of a young girl buried up to her face in the ground but calmly asking them for help is a great "Well now I gotta know what happens next!" ending.

Synopsis: River and several inhabitants of a tiny island race across the ocean trying to stay ahead of 5:29, the specific moment in time when the world ended.

What I thought: Wonderfully atmospheric and a good sign that River can hold her own as a central character without needing to have one of the Doctors around (and Kingston can be the lead without needing an established Doctor actor there for the ride). An elderly couple living on a small island with their daughter are happy to take in the survivor of a shipwreck, offering her a meal and a warm bed for the night before a neighbor takes her back to the mainland the next day. But the couple's daughter can see that there is more to the survivor than meets the eye, this Professor River Song is hiding something from her.

News reports begin to come in, across the world contact is being lost with towns, cities, countries all at exactly 5:29. River knows what is coming, the planet she landed on at the end of the last story was, somehow, the planet Earth but adrift in time and space. The lone survivor she found was an android named Rachel, the same Rachel living on this island now in the past (and played by Kingston's own daughter). River has used her Vortex Manipulator to come back to Earth the day before the temporal disaster struck at exactly 5:29, to try her best to figure out what happened and prevent it. As 5:29 draws closer and she struggles to get any closer to an answer, she takes it upon herself to save Rachel, her "parents" and a local fisherman by souping up his boat and using it to keep ahead of the dateline. This is where the desolation and terror is best realized, as they figure out that the 5:29 doesn't stop after 24 hours but just keeps on coming. Even worse, anything that has been touched by 5:29 is just as lethal for human beings so while their boat remains safe, the water it travels on is not and the smallest slip will cause death. River slowly comes to the horrible conclusion that there is nothing she can do, she simply doesn't have the resources or, more importantly, the time and 5:29 is always coming. So, with the collusion of Rachel's parents, she does what she can for her, setting up the same situation that will see Rachel survive for hundreds of years before River arrives on the now temporally adrift planet and gets the idea to come back in the first place. It's a bleak and strangely beautiful ending, as River salvages what she can from her failure. Having finally managed to track the source of the planet's disaster, she sets off with her Vortex Manipulator to once again try to save the Earth from its paradoxical fate, leaving behind a dead world.

Synopsis: River infiltrates a Corporation designed to make dreams come true. Who is the person responsible for the nightmare behind this supposed paradise and the threatened destruction of Earth? The shareholders? The Board of Directors? Or the mysterious CEO known only as the Doctor?

What I thought: The weakest of the stories carried only by the chemistry between Alex Kingston and Colin Baker. River has discovered Golden Futures, a corporation from the future where the 5:29 signal originated. Taking a job as a granter of dreams, she approves the customized dreams that the corporation's customers request for themselves as they sleep at night. There is, of course, something darker going on beneath the surface. Strange creatures can sometimes be seen scurrying about the pods where the dreamers sleep, but anybody who tries to question what is going on gets deluged with busywork or finds themselves getting up close and personal with one of those creatures.

To River's great amusement (and later horror) she discovers the CEO of this corporation is none other than the Sixth Doctor, who organized taking a controlling interest in the company purely to satisfy his curiosity about some odd readings he detected coming from it. As River digs deeper she finds out more and more unsettling truths, and has to face the troubling notion that maybe the Doctor is not only aware of them but is even behind them. Perhaps worse is that he might not have any knowledge of them, because that would indicate he is dangerously naive even for a "younger" Doctor. Happily, the Doctor ends up proving to be gifted in other areas, and while it is River who mostly figures things out, it is the Doctor who actually figures out how to use that information to put a stop to Golden Futures. Best of all though is that this Doctor and River have a delightfully flirty chemistry, she finds him utterly charming and extremely handsome and he is rather surprised to find himself equally enamored with her.

The reveal of the true masters of Golden Futures ties in nicely to the two previous stories - Speravores, creatures that feed on potential, have become hungry for something more "real" and set up Golden Futures to gorge themselves on first the potential parallel versions of their victims before eating the actual victim themselves. They have constructed an exact duplicate of the Earth, and the 5:29 signal will be the cue for the Speravores to eat every living thing on (and part of) the Earth and leave behind a replica to mask their work. The Doctor and River upset this plan, but due to the odd temporal nature of the baddies, they will still need to go back in time and prevent the birth of the Speravore children.

The issue with this episode is that it's too confusing and requires too much stupidity from its two leads, causing them to make dumb mistakes or misunderstandings that are out of character. The reveal of the bad guys' plan is muddled, especially due to there being two distinct sets of bad guys, one of whom is defeated here while the other is represented by mindless creatures. It's only the following story that gives some much needed context. The story wouldn't work at all if it wasn't for the chemistry between Colin Baker and Alex Kingston.

Synopsis: The Sixth Doctor thinks he has figured out how to save the Earth from destruction. The Seventh Doctor knows that he was wrong and is trying to stop him so he can save it. River Song knows they're BOTH wrong, but neither will listen to her and they're turning out not to be as easy to outsmart as she initially thought.

What I thought: This is great, again carried by the chemistry between Kingston/Baker and Kingston/McCoy but that's largely all that is needed for a story that serves as the wrap-up for the previous three stories. The first established the Earth had been destroyed. The second showed the Earth in the process of being destroyed. The third showed the planning for the destruction of the Earth. This fourth story is about saving the Earth entirely, the 5:29 signal never occurred in the future but the origins of the plan to create that signal are still happening in the past and the paradoxical nature of the enemy means as long as the plan got started, there is some reality where it DID succeed.

This where the three leads all agree - THIS moment in Earth's history - The Great Storm of 1703 - is where the fracture point happens that COULD lead to the destruction of Earth. Where they disagree is on HOW to stop this happening, and the efforts of all three to get around each other and deal with the situation are at times both comedic and tragic. Both Doctors are sure they know what needs to be done, the 7th failing to convince the 6th that he (7) has already done this as 6 and it didn't work. As they compete against each other to achieve their goals, River attempts to both work with them and against them and is constantly (and hilariously) frustrated as they refuse to believe her or completely misread her intentions. The turning point seems based on of all things whether a young English couple get together or go their separate ways. The Sixth Doctor - romantic that he is - is trying to get the couple together, while the 7th Doctor - pragmatist that he is - is trying to break them up. River blows the Sixth Doctor's credentials as an expert on love and works closely with the 7th Doctor in order to get what she needs from him. Both blow up in her face fantastically, as the 7th Doctor gets irritated at her beating him to the punch on explaining everything/being the smartest person in the room, while the 6th is convinced she is a Time Lord agent and is a rank amateur at this type of thing. 7 frames her for a crime to get her out of the way, 6 pretends to help her in order to get his hands on her Vortex Manipulator and ensure she stays in jail, and both go on happily about their machinations while she fumes to an imprisoned Daniel Defoe about how maddening both these earlier versions of her eventual husband are.

In the end River offers a third way solution to the plotting of 6 and 7. She knows the 7th Doctor is right but also wants him to avoid making the conscious decision to let the couple die to prevent the birth of the creatures that will eventually eat the world at 5:29 hundreds of years in the future. So instead she does what neither considered and actually gives the couple the choice for themselves - she lays it all out on the line, exactly what is at stake, and asks them to choose. Willingly walk into the temporal storm that can only exist if they do, killing themselves and paradoxically preventing it's creation.... or admit their mutual love, live together in bliss for a few decades, die and then several hundred years later the entire planet gets wiped out. They, of course, make the decision to die, and it is THEIR decision, not something imposed on them by either the Doctors, River, or the creatures that have been directing their entire lives up to this point.

With the world saved, River now has to clean up the mess - neither Doctor can know who she is but she's already had to tell them both to get anything accomplished. There's more of that wonderful flirty chemistry between her and 6 before she wipes his mind, and then a hilarious sequence where she attempts to administer an amnesia inducing drug to 7 who deftly bypasses her every attempt until she finally has to resort to violence because he keeps being one step ahead.

Final Thoughts:

An excellent follow-up to the first volume, it mostly manages to make it's head-scratching paradoxical plot/threat make sense. The use of the Classic Doctors is handled very nicely without being a crutch, and they wrap up/end the story with a fairly sensible explanation for how the Doctors wouldn't remember her. With any luck, the next volume won't feature a classic Doctor, not because I don't think it would be any good (Davison and especially Tom would probably be great with River) but because she's a strong enough character to carry an audio by herself, as Five Twenty-Nine proves. So far these two volumes are the only River stories to not be written by Moffat and if it is any indication then it seems that Big Finish "gets" River. They have been able to make her work in ways her own creator didn't always quite get right, though I'm sure a large part of that is because Alex Kingston knows the character better than anyone. Great theme, a good lead, excellent chemistry between the actors and a compelling overall plot make this one a winner. Based on this, I have high hopes for the Time War boxset, because it deals with some of the weird time-fuckery I would expect from that volume.

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Feb 12, 2017

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

So I was poking around the internet and it turns out a little over a year ago some folks actually made a replacement for the Big Finish Forum. I'd always liked that forum because it was a place besides here where people talked in depth about BF releases in all the ranges, there was a lot of upcoming release news, behind the scenes info, and creatives from BF participating. I have no idea what the drama was which caused it to go down (something with spoilers, possibly about the 10 audios IIRC), but it's good to see a new version up. It even has some of the BF writers chiming in on occasion:

http://notthebigfinishforum.freeforums.net/

A good place to see the state of the state on some ranges where the releases have been limited lately or actors have passed, like Dark Shadows and Blake's 7.

Also interestingly enough I found out that it seems that currently Tennant is too busy and making too much money with tv shows and Ducktales to be coming back any time soon, plus he was a bit upset with how the 10 audio announcement was leaked. But it's still shocking that he won't come back at some point, as his father in law is still doing quite a bit of BF work...as perhaps is his wife?

quote:

They recorded the BF podcast at LI Who and the big news is that there will be a Jenny range with Georgia Moffat. It also sounds as if she will be producing it. Most of the rest of the hour was general craziness and we found out Paul McGann just bough a television. An idea was brought up for a story where the actors all get to play each others' Doctors and there seemed to be some interest all around. Nick had to leave after 45 min to catch a plane home so the last 15 minutes was finishing some questions and answers for the Doctors from the audience. I wish there was more to tell, but it was just a lot of fun more than informative.

That was from November BTW.

I've always been vaguely interested in a Jenny Who series, though not as much as say Paternoster/Jago & Litefoot or Clara/Ashildr, (or various Claras meeting various Doctors in general), but it could be interesting.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Astroman posted:

Paul McGann just bought a television

I love this line so much :allears:

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

Awesome Diary of River Song Series 2 Review

I was surprisingly entertained as all heck by the first series and now I'm beyond stoked to listen to the second.

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort
Just wanna let you guys know there's a Doctor Who reference in "The Lego Batman Movie".

The Joker pulls a bunch of villains out of the Phantom Zone to terrorize Gotham City, including some decidedly not from Batman's rogues gallery, including King Kong, Sauron, Voldemort, Agent Smith (and Agent Smith, and Agent Smith, and Agent Smith...), and "some British robots (sic)" ("Ask you nerd friends," the Joker adds).

So, yeah, watch the Lego Batman movie if you want to watch Batman fight a bunch of Daleks.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

AndyElusive posted:

I was surprisingly entertained as all heck by the first series and now I'm beyond stoked to listen to the second.

Yeah it's been a really pleasant surprise how much I've enjoyed the River Song stuff, I think this volume is actually better than the first so hopefully you're in for a treat.

Well Manicured Man posted:

So, yeah, watch the Lego Batman movie if you want to watch Batman fight a bunch of Daleks.

Well I didn't know it before, but yes it turns out this is something I've always wanted.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Not the first time they've made that reference either

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

The Iron Giant's in there because when Batman asked him who his favorite hero was he replied,".......Superman.... :shobon:"

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

The general state of science fiction and the world spurred me to write this essay on Kill the Moon that I've been meaning to do since it aired.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

That's an interesting take, and I gotta admit that I don't think I ever really considered the rather obvious (in hindsight) notion that the moon as a drab, cobwebbed and uninteresting place is intended as a direct contrast to the exciting, futuristic and inspiring place it was considered in the 1960s. Having the Doctor bring a bored child there to make up for telling her she's not special or important says a lot about the Doctor's mindset being considered perhaps old-fashioned or out of touch, which makes the inspiring message for the future he takes from the hatching of the space-dragon feel like an appeal (or hope) for a return to that brighter, more optimistic vision of the future.

I still think the episode is bad though!

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Yeah, an interesting essay, with a very good point: in a world where Donald loving Trump, a glorified estate agent with no brain/mouth barrier, is the most powerful person on the planet, what value are yesterday's visions of the future?

But 'Kill The Moon' was still unmitigated shite.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

For one week, BF is having a sale on the Main Range, from stories 51-125

https://www.bigfinish.com/news/v/doctor-who---main-range-special-offers

• Locked thread