Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Good advice. I think I'll hold off.

An unrelated question. Do any of you without UHD players/4k TVs still purchase the UHD versions for the sake of future proofing? I notice that nearly all UHD releases also include the 1080 Blu-ray. I'm not 4k-ready yet but I will be in the next couple years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Kino Lorber just confirmed the latest major studio they're licensing from is... Disney.

The titles, though, are limited to the ABC Films, Selznick International, Touchstone Pictures, and Hollywood Pictures libraries.

They haven't confirmed any titles yet, but notable unreleased/OOP titles in these libraries:

All four Hitchcock films produced for Selznick (Rebecca, Spellbound, Notorious, and The Paradine Case) [MGM released all but Paradine on Blu-Ray, now OOP]
Straw Dogs
They Shoot Horses, Don't They?
Duel in the Sun
Portrait of Jennie
Since You've Been Away
Sleuth
Take the Money and Run
Prizzi's Honor
Silkwood
The Ref
Cabin Boy
Super Mario Bros. (lol)
What About Bob?
Kazaam (lol)
Quiz Show
Grosse Pointe Blank

Spatulater bro! posted:

An unrelated question. Do any of you without UHD players/4k TVs still purchase the UHD versions for the sake of future proofing? I notice that nearly all UHD releases also include the 1080 Blu-ray. I'm not 4k-ready yet but I will be in the next couple years.

I almost got the Deadpool 4K to "future proof" but I was vain and went for the Target Blu-Ray in a red case.

I'll probably get the 4K edition when applicable, except I rarely get blind buy new releases. Most of my purchases are catalog titles.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The Rock super duper better than criterion edition please.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

I'm going to buy the Super Mario Bros movie.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Slueth was really good.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

CelticPredator posted:

The Rock super duper better than criterion edition please.

It's already out from Disney. This will be for films not yet on DVD or Blu-Ray, if it's anything like the other licensed libraries they've handled.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

Spatulater bro! posted:

Yeah, I've done it for a couple titles in the last year. It's a fairly small price difference and it allows me to entertain the idea of one day having a full-fledged home theater setup.

Having said that, I honestly don't think I'll ever actually own a TV large enough to notice the difference, and the black cases gently caress up the look of my blu-ray collection.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Baronash posted:

Yeah, I've done it for a couple titles in the last year. It's a fairly small price difference and it allows me to entertain the idea of one day having a full-fledged home theater setup.

Having said that, I honestly don't think I'll ever actually own a TV large enough to notice the difference, and the black cases gently caress up the look of my blu-ray collection.

I'm already sitting relatively close to my 65" plasma (about 8 feet away), but when I eventually upgrade to 4K I'm seriously considering going with a 75". It'll devour the room but it'll look glorious. Maybe by the time I upgrade I'll be able to buy a 75" 4K OLED without having to take out a second mortgage on my house.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Egbert Souse posted:

Kino Lorber just confirmed the latest major studio they're licensing from is... Disney.

The titles, though, are limited to the ABC Films, Selznick International, Touchstone Pictures, and Hollywood Pictures libraries.

They haven't confirmed any titles yet, but notable unreleased/OOP titles in these libraries:

All four Hitchcock films produced for Selznick (Rebecca, Spellbound, Notorious, and The Paradine Case) [MGM released all but Paradine on Blu-Ray, now OOP]
Straw Dogs
Duel in the Sun
Portrait of Jennie
Since You've Been Away
Sleuth
Take the Money and Run
Prizzi's Honor
Silkwood
The Ref
Cabin Boy
Super Mario Bros. (lol)
What About Bob?
Kazaam (lol)
Quiz Show
Grosse Pointe Blank

I almost got the Deadpool 4K to "future proof" but I was vain and went for the Target Blu-Ray in a red case.

I'll probably get the 4K edition when applicable, except I rarely get blind buy new releases. Most of my purchases are catalog titles.

I just bought Prizzi's Honor on DVD too, drat.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Spatulater bro! posted:

It's weird to see this one the page that followed the "THIS IS THE DEATH OF PHYSICAL MEDIA!" discussion. Also to answer your question, no I don't do that because the UHD library is diarrhea, I think the format is going to go the way of Betamax, and I can;t see myself ever owning a 1500 inch tv.

egon_beeblebrox posted:

I'm going to buy the Super Mario Bros movie.

I'd be loving delighted to own Super Mario Bros on blu-ray.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

CPL593H posted:

I'd be loving delighted to own Super Mario Bros on blu-ray.
At the very least the production design is pretty cool.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

To clarify... here's what the Kino rep said on the Blu-Ray.com forums:
"We don't have any, not even one titles from the actual Walt Disney library, so no Song of the South or any other unreleased features or cartoons. We also have no titles previously released on DVD under the BVHE banners (Buena Vista, Walt Disney, Touchstone, Hollywood, etc)."

So, unfortunately, that means no to Super Mario Bros (as well as Kazaam, What About Bob, The Ref, etc). Even though the only US DVDs were ports of laserdisc transfers. Also, apparently Sleuth is owned by another company, so it's not part of the library. Seems like the deal is mostly about the ABC Films/Selznick titles and there's supposed to be around 100 total.

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

Super Mario Bros. has a blu-ray in the UK coming out very soon though

https://www.zavvi.com/blu-ray/super-mario-bros-zavvi-exclusive-limited-edition-steelbook/11374103.html

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I don't see Song of the South coming out in this political climate. It's nowhere near what people have built up in their minds, but it is still very much a product of its time.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Casimir Radon posted:

I don't see Song of the South coming out in this political climate. It's nowhere near what people have built up in their minds, but it is still very much a product of its time.

I think the only way it could be released is if someone made a documentary about it or if someone bought the rights. It's actually an absurdly tame movie. Those expecting something like The Birth of a Nation will be disappointed since it's actually less uncomfortable to watch than Gone with the Wind.

Hell, it's more progressive than most of the films with African-Americans of the time.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Casimir Radon posted:

At the very least the production design is pretty cool.

The production design is amazing. It also has some surprisingly good matte work, but aside from that I love how much of a bewildering mess the movie is and how they interpreted the characters and themes from the game into all kinds of weird abstraction. A large black woman in a spiky outfit is the thing that goes "Thwomp". It's not by any means a good movie, but it's loving wild.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Egbert Souse posted:

I think the only way it could be released is if someone made a documentary about it or if someone bought the rights. It's actually an absurdly tame movie. Those expecting something like The Birth of a Nation will be disappointed since it's actually less uncomfortable to watch than Gone with the Wind.

Hell, it's more progressive than most of the films with African-Americans of the time.

Surprise they didn't do something similar on DVD like with War Time Shorts where they have a intro about the subject can be offensive.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

CPL593H posted:

The production design is amazing. It also has some surprisingly good matte work, but aside from that I love how much of a bewildering mess the movie is and how they interpreted the characters and themes from the game into all kinds of weird abstraction. A large black woman in a spiky outfit is the thing that goes "Thwomp". It's not by any means a good movie, but it's loving wild.

Actually she's Big Bertha:

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
$7.75 - Pushing Daisies: Season 1 https://www.amazon.com/Pushing-Dais...12b28da63888823
$10.49 - Pushing Daisies: Season 2 https://www.amazon.com/Pushing-Dais...010047aa42eb424

It's also around the same price ($7.99 & $9.99) if you'd rather buy it in HD from Amazon Video.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The cartoons in Song of the South are great and still teach a unique lesson. The live action parts are boring but yeah it's not as racist as it's made out to be. Granted it is bad in current times but it's way more tamer to the stuff Warner Bros was doing at the time.

Disney is still reluctant to even put out merchandise in regards to Splash Mountain so I don't think we'll ever see Song of the South on blu ray. :( if anything I wish they'd just strip out the cartoons and release them on their own like they did for the new Oswald cartoon.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Empress Brosephine posted:

The cartoons in Song of the South are great and still teach a unique lesson. The live action parts are boring but yeah it's not as racist as it's made out to be. Granted it is bad in current times but it's way more tamer to the stuff Warner Bros was doing at the time.

Disney is still reluctant to even put out merchandise in regards to Splash Mountain so I don't think we'll ever see Song of the South on blu ray. :( if anything I wish they'd just strip out the cartoons and release them on their own like they did for the new Oswald cartoon.

They could get some good publicity by putting it out with appropriate warnings and accompanying documentaries and also give the proceeds to a relevant charity.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
If it doesn't come out this year where it turned 70 (or 75 can't remember) then we probably won't see it for a long time. :(

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Egbert Souse posted:

Straw Dogs
Silkwood
The Ref
Super Mario Bros. (lol)
Quiz Show

Super down for these ones. Quiz Show is so underrated.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I think Disney simply doesn't have a good enough excuse to release Song of the South yet. Regardless of how offensive the movie actually is, they know it'll cause a PR frenzy if they try to release it, and not the kind of PR frenzy they typically like to cultivate. "Animation nerds want it" really isn't a good enough reason yet. At this point they've gone conspicuously long without releasing it, so they would need something else that lets them say, "Yeah we know it might be offensive and so we have a disclaimer, but we really want to release it right now because _________________".

A documentary about it, like someone suggested above, would be a good excuse -- they could just quietly include the full movie in the same blu-ray package. Either that or just like, no fanfare at all, just throw it out there. But that doesn't sound like a financial decision Disney would make.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

The easiest thing for Disney is to just license it to a boutique label. They just have a dumb licensing stance. Important films with expensive restorations are being released as Disney Movie Club exclusives like Treasure Island, Swiss Family Robinson, Pollyanna, and Old Yeller. Others are sitting on the shelf like Song of the South and 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea.

Empress Brosephine posted:

I think all the animated segments were part of Disneyland episodes that ended up on various Walt Disney Treasures DVDs.

I'd jump all over Blu upgrades of those sets, especially since they all have 4K masters now.

Egbert Souse fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Feb 10, 2017

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
TBH they throw a lot of their really obscure titles on Blu Ray exclusively on their Disney Moviw Club program. Lots of old programs like Davy Crockett, Three Caballeros etc. that would be the ideal outlet for it, but they know it's bigger then it should be.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

CPL593H posted:

This is exactly why I don't hate the movie. It's really interesting and, dare I say, fun.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
http://passport2dreams.blogspot.com/2015/05/song-of-south-disneys-loaded-gun.html?m=1

This is a good article by probably the best Disney historian alive. Worth a read.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

And its a steelbook? man o man, I want that although the cover art isn't my favorite. Will have to read what the transfer is like.

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005
The regular edition was already released a few years ago, it looks about as good as transfers get: https://caps-a-holic.com/c.php?d1=5445&d2=5446&c=2222

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Llamadeus posted:

The regular edition was already released a few years ago, it looks about as good as transfers get: https://caps-a-holic.com/c.php?d1=5445&d2=5446&c=2222

Wow, I expected it to look decent, but that honestly looks like a full 2K or 4K remaster.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Egbert Souse posted:

Wow, I expected it to look decent, but that honestly looks like a full 2K or 4K remaster.

Yeah no joke that looks amazing. Wish the pre-order page told me if it was a new transfer or that previous one. Might just preorder it anyway.....

melvinthemopboy3
Sep 29, 2008

Egbert Souse posted:

Yeah, I got my copy a few days ago and the transfer is out of this world. Having last seen in on VHS, I gotta say I appreciate it a little bit more now.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Jesus, I can't believe you guys are making me consider buying Super Mario Bros.

Brexit the Frog
Aug 22, 2013

lol if you guys don't have the 1080p scan somebody did of a privately-owned song of the south ib technicolor 35 print

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Rusty Staub posted:

lol if you guys don't have the 1080p scan somebody did of a privately-owned song of the south ib technicolor 35 print

This exists???

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Spatulater bro! posted:

Jesus, I can't believe you guys are making me consider buying Super Mario Bros.

Ain't no shame in the bluray game. :c00lbert:

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

I don't know about this one in particular, but there's definitely a healthy scene of similar preservations.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I just looked on a site I'm obviously not going to give a name to. But I found they have a 1080p version from a 35 scan. Below are their preview images from that scan.

https://ptpimg.me/dh7j7i.png
https://ptpimg.me/gtvh52.png
https://ptpimg.me/4kf1bd.png
https://ptpimg.me/1m30a5.png

More here:
http://imgur.com/a/Pj8rS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
It's about time someone did something with GROSSE POINTE BLANK. I have no idea why that and HIGH FIDELITY have such terrible releases.

• Locked thread