Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

It's the same bad guys, vehicles, and clothing from Robocop 3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Tenzarin posted:

It's the same bad guys, vehicles, and clothing from Robocop 3.

ah so now robocob 3 is made in a universe where the dudikoff sequel to death wish (aka death sentence) was filmed.

the plot thickens

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Robocop 3:
After the failure of the Robocop program, OCP is on the verge of bankruptcy after a series of failed business plans and drop of stocks, and are now struggling with their plans to create the new Delta City. To speed up the process, OCP creates an armed force called the Urban Rehabilitators, nicknamed "Rehabs," under the command of Paul McDaggett (John Castle). Ostensibly its purpose is to combat rising crime in Old Detroit, augmenting the ranks of the Detroit Police Department in apprehending violent criminals. In reality, it has been set up to forcibly relocate the residents of Cadillac Heights.

Escape from the Bronx:
The General Construction (GC) Corporation, led by President Clark (Enio Girolami), wish to tear down the Bronx to turn it into “the city of the future”. To do this they need to clear the current population from the area and have employed expelled prison warden Floyd Wangler (Henry Silva) and a private squad of Disinfestors to burn, shoot and gas those that will not leave willingly.

It's almost the same movie.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

The IMDB page for Batman v Superman includes these entries under "other crew":

IMDB posted:

Sanam Afrashteh ... voice dubbing: Gal Gadot (uncredited)
Peter Flechtner ... voice dubbing: Ben Affleck (uncredited)
Giuliana Jakobeit ... voice dubbing: Amy Adams (uncredited)
Cornelia Meinhardt ... voice dubbing: Holly Hunter (uncredited)
Tom Vogt ... voice dubbing: Laurence Fishburne (uncredited)

Do they really have someone else dubbing over the stars of the picture some of the time? I'm assuming this isn't for foreign-language versions, since presumably it would say, and it doesn't even include all the main cast.

Related to which, I've found it difficult to track down the voice actors used for movie dubs (e.g., the Spanish-language version of Batman v Superman that HBO broadcasts). How much consistency is there between movies for the same character? Obviously this is paid attention to with regards to stuff that's animated, Mark Hamill as the Joker and all that, but do they maintain consistency in who provides the voice for a character when creating secondary-language dubs for a franchise?

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

Sir Kodiak posted:

The IMDB page for Batman v Superman includes these entries under "other crew":

Do they really have someone else dubbing over the stars of the picture some of the time? I'm assuming this isn't for foreign-language versions, since presumably it would say, and it doesn't even include all the main cast.

Related to which, I've found it difficult to track down the voice actors used for movie dubs (e.g., the Spanish-language version of Batman v Superman that HBO broadcasts). How much consistency is there between movies for the same character? Obviously this is paid attention to with regards to stuff that's animated, Mark Hamill as the Joker and all that, but do they maintain consistency in who provides the voice for a character when creating secondary-language dubs for a franchise?

Considering they're all German actors, I'd say it's pretty likely they're just credits for the German dub which someone decided to put up

In fact, I can confirm it: four of the five are listed here as the German dubs (the other's for Holly Hunter whose role isn't listed anyway)

Allyn fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Jan 31, 2017

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Allyn posted:

Considering they're all German actors, I'd say it's pretty likely they're just credits for the German dub which someone decided to put up

In fact, I can confirm it: four of the five are listed here as the German dubs (the other's for Holly Hunter whose role isn't listed anyway)

Yeah, good catch. Thanks!

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?
What are some movies where characters have to evade room-traps?

It's not a good movie, but I think this scene in Resident Evil is enjoyable. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e8gfGhVL3qs

Some that come to mind are the Cube movies, Charlie's Angels, Entrapment, Dungeons & Dragons, the Saw movies, etc.,

It'd be better if it was actually a good movie as well.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

Welp.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_HmOsZbJ7c

But yeah, you could probably think of movie series with tombs like Indiana Jones and The Mummy.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

What are some movies where characters have to evade room-traps?

It's not a good movie, but I think this scene in Resident Evil is enjoyable. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e8gfGhVL3qs

Some that come to mind are the Cube movies, Charlie's Angels, Entrapment, Dungeons & Dragons, the Saw movies, etc.,

Mission Impossible films have some similar sequences, but I'm not sure if any of them count as traps...

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7U3Oti2L8S4&t=70s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wrycvb7fcw8

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

I'm gonna count this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mr834Cs9ncs

Parachute
May 18, 2003
catherine_zeta_jones_in_entrampent_laser_scene.mpeg

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

God, I hate that movie.

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted

My dog died of cancer on friday and this is still the worst thing I have seen this year

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Snak posted:

God, I hate that movie.

It's easily Soderbergh's worst movie and it wins that race by a country mile.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

At least it's a cool song.

More lasers: https://youtu.be/EXMw_ORxndU

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
Could anyone give suggestions of films made like Atomic Cafe or June 17th, 1994? By that I mean films that tell a story using news footage, films, music etc but with no narrator or talking head interviews. I'm not very good at explaining it.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

OldTennisCourt posted:

Could anyone give suggestions of films made like Atomic Cafe or June 17th, 1994? By that I mean films that tell a story using news footage, films, music etc but with no narrator or talking head interviews. I'm not very good at explaining it.

One of the guys who did The Atomic Café also did a cool one called Feed that's all made up of news feed footage surrounding the 1992 Presidental Election. Kinda obscure but worth tracking down.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

OldTennisCourt posted:

Question is more for the Recommend Me thread, but Let the Fire Burn

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

OldTennisCourt posted:

The Autobiography Of Nicolae Ceausescu

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
When it comes to shooting fight scenes, do the actors involved really have any idea of how it's going to look until they see the finished product?

Monteunicorn
Jun 19, 2004

OldTennisCourt posted:

Every single Adam Curtis documentary

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Leavemywife posted:

When it comes to shooting fight scenes, do the actors involved really have any idea of how it's going to look until they see the finished product?

The Wachowskis hired a manga artist to help them storyboard the fight scenes in The Matrix and from what I've seen a good chunk of it is screen accurate, beyond that it probably varies quite a bit from director to director, and also actor to actor because some people are dumb as hell and/or can't explain for poo poo.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Monteunicorn posted:

Every single Adam Curtis documentary

Every single Adam Curtis documentary is wall-to-wall narration. Well, except for It Felt Like a Kiss, which also happens to be his best work

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

OldTennisCourt posted:

The War Room fits this style, if I remember correctly.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Leavemywife posted:

With some modern fights it'd be impossible since they often do cuts like every two seconds. Jackie Chan knew though.

https://youtu.be/Z1PCtIaM_GQ

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

got any sevens posted:

With some modern fights it'd be impossible since they often do cuts like every two seconds. Jackie Chan knew though.

Wait, you are saying theres no story boards or anything for the actors?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

got any sevens posted:

It's hard to watch a good Jackie Chan film and not exclaim "Jackie Chan's the best!" at least a few times.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Are there any movies that surprise or shock the audience by subverting conventional film language? To explain what I mean here's an example taken from my imagination: Two people are sitting in a restaurant having a conversation. The formalities of the scene - the music, the compositions, etc - all suggest that it's a standard two-shot over-the-shoulder dialogue scene wherein two people are simply relaying exposition to each other and to the audience. But out of absolutely nowhere a gunman appears and shoots one of them. The film gave no hints or foreshadowing, via musical cues, setup shots or any other film technique, that this was about to happen.

I don't think I've ever seen a movie that does this. It seems that filmmakers feel obligated to telegraph what's about to happen. Or at least that something is about to happen. Especially in horror movies. You can always tell when the purpose of a scene is for narrative exposition and when the purpose is to get down to business. The chatty car ride to the cabin? That's to get to know the characters. The scene with a couple getting naked in the dark lake? That's when someone's going to die.

I'd love to see a movie that turns this on its head.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Spatulater bro! posted:

Are there any movies that surprise or shock the audience by subverting conventional film language? To explain what I mean here's an example taken from my imagination: Two people are sitting in a restaurant having a conversation. The formalities of the scene - the music, the compositions, etc - all suggest that it's a standard two-shot over-the-shoulder dialogue scene wherein two people are simply relaying exposition to each other and to the audience. But out of absolutely nowhere a gunman appears and shoots one of them. The film gave no hints or foreshadowing, via musical cues, setup shots or any other film technique, that this was about to happen.

I don't think I've ever seen a movie that does this. It seems that filmmakers feel obligated to telegraph what's about to happen. Or at least that something is about to happen. Especially in horror movies. You can always tell when the purpose of a scene is for narrative exposition and when the purpose is to get down to business. The chatty car ride to the cabin? That's to get to know the characters. The scene with a couple getting naked in the dark lake? That's when someone's going to die.

I'd love to see a movie that turns this on its head.

It sounds like you want a comedy. Subverting expectations is Humour 101.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Lobok posted:

It sounds like you want a comedy. Subverting expectations is Humour 101.

That's an interesting point. Like, in Wet Hot American Summer when a hamburger flies into the shot for no apparent reason, that's really funny. And I suppose spoof movies are built on the concept of altering the tone of a scene for comedic effect.

I guess what I'm after is a film that applies this idea of screwing with the conventions of film form/language for the purpose of shock or horror.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Spatulater bro! posted:

That's an interesting point. Like, in Wet Hot American Summer when a hamburger flies into the shot for no apparent reason, that's really funny. And I suppose spoof movies are built on the concept of altering the tone of a scene for comedic effect.

I guess what I'm after is a film that applies this idea of screwing with the conventions of film form/language for the purpose of shock or horror.

Depends if you want the film to keep it up the whole time because if the movie kept doing it could it stay coherent or keep the audience engaged?

Otherwise there are lots of times that a movie will do it once or twice. Like that restaurant shooting scene (which honestly to me still sounds funny before it sounds shocking), could be an early scene in a movie to establish the brazen and random nature of the gunman's attacks: nowhere is safe!

Not sure why this example sticks out in my mind but Die Hard With a Vengeance has an opening scene that fits. Shots across New York of the city waking up, the hustle and bustle, traffic, "Summer in the City" playing to keep you jazzed and then---

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GLjzPwm4mUI

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

That is indeed a great opening. I think they just used it in its entirety in the trailers.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Lobok posted:

Depends if you want the film to keep it up the whole time because if the movie kept doing it could it stay coherent or keep the audience engaged?

I would think, if done well and sparingly, a movie like this could create a hell of a lot of tension by keeping it up. The audience would be on their guard even through the most seemingly mundane scene.

Lobok posted:

Otherwise there are lots of times that a movie will do it once or twice. Like that restaurant shooting scene (which honestly to me still sounds funny before it sounds shocking), could be an early scene in a movie to establish the brazen and random nature of the gunman's attacks: nowhere is safe!

Not sure why this example sticks out in my mind but Die Hard With a Vengeance has an opening scene that fits. Shots across New York of the city waking up, the hustle and bustle, traffic, "Summer in the City" playing to keep you jazzed and then---

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GLjzPwm4mUI

This is kinda there. But I'd say even here it falls within the boundaries of expectations to a degree. It's fairly common for an action movie to begin with an initial disaster that sets the plot in motion. Imagine instead if this happens halfway through a Nicolas Sparks adaptation. Eh, okay that might be pretty hilarious. I dunno.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Spatulater bro! posted:

It sounds like you wanna watch Green Room.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Slugworth posted:

It sounds like you wanna watch Green Room.

Seen it and love it. But I don't recall seeing what I'm describing. I mean it has some shocking moments, but IIRC they're all pretty much in line with the form of their respective scenes.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Spatulater bro! posted:

Seen it and love it. But I don't recall seeing what I'm describing. I mean it has some shocking moments, but IIRC they're all pretty much in line with the form of their respective scenes.
I'm sure you've seen it, but what about Marvin in Pulp Fiction? That any closer to what you're looking for?

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Not sure if this is what you're after, but the car crash scenes in Enter the Void are incredibly jarring and shocking. Even in a movie that goes out of it's way to shock the viewer, those scenes really stood out.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

Cage posted:

I'm sure you've seen it, but what about Marvin in Pulp Fiction? That any closer to what you're looking for?

This is the scene that popped into my head when I saw the question, but I have a nagging feeling that I've seen a few better ones - i.e. ones where a happy and normal scene is suddenly flipped on its head without any foreshadowing at all. However I'm the literal worst at recalling this kind of thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Cage posted:

Hmm, actually yeah. That's pretty close. Only thing is it's definitely meant to illicit laughs, which it definitely does. But I think the humor comes more from the characters' immediate reactions than from the shock itself.

edit: I would also argue that the offbeat tone of the film kinda set this up to an extent.

Spatulater bro! fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Feb 10, 2017